PDA

View Full Version : My Cat - Suffering?

Thajocoth
2010-08-12, 06:45 PM
So... my cat is dying. He's 15, so he's had a pretty long life.

Our options:

A - Let him die in peace, here with people and places he knows. (He's lying under a tree outside right now.)

B - Stick him in a cat carrier, take him in the car (which he hates), to somewhere with lots of barking dogs to have someone he's never seen before stick a needle in him to put him to sleep.

So it's a matter of judging somehow whether or not he's actually in pain... We don't want to prolong his agony, but we don't want to create unnecessary strife either.

Is there any way to tell? Right now he looks very peaceful sleeping a very heavy and difficult to disturb sleep under a tree outside, barely breathing.

Cealocanth
2010-08-12, 07:01 PM
I'm split both ways. The vets can make sure he passes painlessly, but the drive'll be traumatic, leaving him be means that you get to bury the body yourself but it'll a slow and possibly painfull death.

I got nothin'. I hope that, however he passes, it will be peacefully.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-08-12, 07:03 PM
First of all, I'm really sorry about this.

Is it possible for the vet to make a home appointment? If not, it would probably be best to let him die in peace unless it's obvious that he's in agony.

Thajocoth
2010-08-12, 07:04 PM
I hope that, however he passes, it will be peacefully.

First of all, I'm really sorry about this.

Thanks.

I'm split both ways. The vets can make sure he passes painlessly, but the drive'll be traumatic, leaving him be means that you get to bury the body yourself but it'll a slow and possibly painfull death.

I got nothin'.

In either case, we're burying him ourselves. The grave is actually already dug, next to where Tigger was buried. Scamper and Tigger were best friends for many years.

Is it possible for the vet to make a home appointment? If not, it would probably be best to let him die in peace unless it's obvious that he's in agony.

It is literally 10x the price. We simply can't afford the vet that would come here. He's not in any agony that's obvious to us, but cats are also more solo animals. The more solo an animal is, the less visible pain they might have is.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-08-12, 07:09 PM
Oh...That really, really sucks. Right now he's just sleeping? Does he meow loudly and/or flinch/wince/try to move away when you touch him? If he doesn't, he probably isn't in a lot of pain. If he's just sleeping, he probably isn't in a lot of pain.

If his limbs and ears are getting cold...You probably only have a couple of days at most. Really all you can do is keep him comfortable, hold him and keep him warm with blankets.

Thajocoth
2010-08-12, 07:17 PM
Oh...That really, really sucks. Right now he's just sleeping? Does he meow loudly and/or flinch/wince/try to move away when you touch him? If he doesn't, he probably isn't in a lot of pain. If he's just sleeping, he probably isn't in a lot of pain.

If his limbs and ears are getting cold...You probably only have a couple of days at most. Really all you can do is keep him comfortable, hold him and keep him warm with blankets.

When I posted my first post, he did not feel cold. Just now I pet him and he felt cold, and was purring from the attention. (He had woken up, but was still lying there, so I pet him to be reassuring and stuff.) He doesn't flinch or anything from attention.

His whole body feels cold though. Could just be his fur... He's got very long black fur. (Maine ****)

EDIT: **** is a curseword? Where?

Starfols
2010-08-12, 07:24 PM
First of all, as a cat owner, you have my condolences. :smallfrown: It's never easy to lose a beloved pet, especially when you've had them a long time.

I'd say you should keep it at home. It's obviously happy to be with you if it's purring. I'd say give him lots of love and attention for the last few days you have him.

Thajocoth
2010-08-12, 07:26 PM
First of all, as a cat owner, you have my condolences. :smallfrown: It's never easy to lose a beloved pet, especially when you've had them a long time.

Thanks. I remember the day we got him... I paid the $30 adoption costs... January 2nd, 15 years ago. That's how long he's been with us. He was about 6 weeks old at the time.

I'd say you should keep it at home. It's obviously happy to be with you if it's purring. I'd say give him lots of love and attention for the last few days you have him.

I think this is what we're going to do. Unless he does something to make us think he's in a lot of pain, of course.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-08-12, 07:27 PM
When I posted my first post, he did not feel cold. Just now I pet him and he felt cold, and was purring from the attention. (He had woken up, but was still lying there, so I pet him to be reassuring and stuff.) He doesn't flinch or anything from attention.

His whole body feels cold though. Could just be his fur... He's got very long black fur. (Maine ****)

EDIT: **** is a curseword? Where?

If his whole body feels cold then he doesn't have much time left. I don't think he's in pain though. He's probably comforted because you're there.

And **** can be interpreted as a racial epithet.

Erts
2010-08-12, 07:44 PM
:smallfrown: You have my condolences as well.

I agree with Starfoss. If he's purring, he's probably happy. If he start to act as if he is in pain, then I'm not sure what to do.

I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening to you and your family...

onthetown
2010-08-12, 07:46 PM
It sounds like he's just wearing down after all the years and dying of natural causes... Or is there another reason you think he may be in pain? Either way, he sounds pretty content with you. Unless he starts acting drastically different, I'd let him pass with you.

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-08-12, 07:53 PM
As it so happens, my cat of 19 years died this weekend, so I was in your boat not long ago. It's a rough situation, and you have my sympathies. Mine just sort of stopped eating, and died in her sleep about a week later. It never seemed like she was in any pain. (Cats aren't exactly vocal about these things, though.) We were prepared to do a house call within a few days, but like you said, it's a pricey way to go about it. I agree with previous posters who say you're doing the right thing. Taking him to the vet will only ensure that he isn't comfortable.

I think (disclaimer: I have no knowledge of biology or science of any kind at all) that if he's dying of simply having lived for 15 years, you're not going to have to worry about a great deal of pain. If he's in good health otherwise, you're probably in the clear.

Elfin
2010-08-12, 08:01 PM
I'm really, really sorry. You have my sincere sympathy. :smallfrown:

But the home route is probably best, especially since it seems he isn't in pain.
:smallfrown:

Again, I'm so sorry.

Closak
2010-08-12, 08:03 PM
(Sigh)
I know how this must feel, i went through the same thing around two years ago when Stella died :smallfrown:

Poor cat, first she spends the majority of her life on the streets after some jackass dumps her in the wild, then when she is adopted by a family that actually cares the damage caused to her body during the years on the streets catches up.

Strange thing is, she died exactly 365 days after we first got her, on the hour.
Exactly one happy year at the end before her body gave out.

Am i the only one who thinks that timing is a bit odd?

Now we have three cats...and one of them is a little monster (How a common housecat can wreak so much havoc i simply cannot understand, especially when the other two cats AND the dog is trying to stop him whenever he starts his antics)

thubby
2010-08-12, 08:57 PM
in all seriousness, do you own a weapon suitable to *ahem*?

that's how my father did it for our old dog and i have to say i think its a lot nicer than the alternatives. if harder on you personally.

Thajocoth
2010-08-12, 08:59 PM
in all seriousness, do you own a weapon suitable to *ahem*?

that's how my father did it for our old dog and i have to say i think its a lot nicer than the alternatives. if harder on you personally.

I'm not stabbing my cat... I know you mean well with your advice here... But no. Just no.

Thanks to everyone else above for their help.

onthetown
2010-08-12, 09:02 PM
I'm not stabbing my cat... I know you mean well with your advice here... But no. Just no.

Thanks to everyone else above for their help.

I believe he meant a gun, which sounds just as awful and less modern than other humane ways of doing it.

Thajocoth
2010-08-12, 09:04 PM
I believe he meant a gun, which sounds just as awful and less modern than other humane ways of doing it.

Well of course I don't own a gun. I think very few people do.

Serpentine
2010-08-12, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I'd say he's just slipping away quietly at this point. If he indicates pain, then consider taking him to the vet or whatever, but otherwise don't worry, and just be there for him.
I suggest setting up somewhere nice and private and warm and comfortable for him. However, don't be alarmed or too sad if he doesn't use it. I've heard of cats disappearing, and then being found dead under the house. It's my understanding that they like to get somewhere safe (for their weakness) and private for when they go. Similar to when they give birth, I guess - they either want to be near someone they trust, or as far and as safe from anyone and anything as they can get.

My mum and stepfather got a housecall for their Amy-dog, but they're well-off, they'd just been to the vet that day and decided against putting her down there but she deteriorated later, and I think it was a weekend ahead and they were going on holidays soon afterwards.

AtopTheMountain
2010-08-12, 10:09 PM
Wow, I'm so sorry. I can't even really say I know what you're going through; when my dog died last May, it was really sudden. But yeah, I really hope your cat goes peacefully and painlessly. :smallfrown:

Thajocoth
2010-08-13, 12:39 AM
Yeah, I'd say he's just slipping away quietly at this point. If he indicates pain, then consider taking him to the vet or whatever, but otherwise don't worry, and just be there for him.
I suggest setting up somewhere nice and private and warm and comfortable for him. However, don't be alarmed or too sad if he doesn't use it. I've heard of cats disappearing, and then being found dead under the house. It's my understanding that they like to get somewhere safe (for their weakness) and private for when they go. Similar to when they give birth, I guess - they either want to be near someone they trust, or as far and as safe from anyone and anything as they can get.

He's actually using the cat-carrier we got to bring him to the vet with. If he's awake when I check on him, I'll pet him for a bit. If not, he doesn't want to be woken up.

golentan
2010-08-13, 12:42 AM
I'm sorry.

The fact he's purring tells me he's okay for now. I'd say keep him with friends, give him some extra treats for the road, and my condolences to you and your family.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-08-13, 12:59 AM
I'm sorry :frown:

This literally made me cry..

Bhu
2010-08-13, 01:08 AM
I've had cats live well past 15. Is there something in particular other than body temperature that's recently made you think his time is up?

Lycan 01
2010-08-13, 01:15 AM
I'm sorry to hear about this. :smallfrown: I say keep him at home. Keep him comfortable and happy. It doesn't sound like he's suffering, either.

Superglucose
2010-08-13, 01:19 AM
Do. This.

There is nothing worse than watching your pet be unable to do anything. At all. Take it from someone who watched his dog die. Don't let it happen to you.

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-13, 10:44 AM
So sorry to hear :smallfrown:

All I can say is to keep him comfortable until he passes on.

Asta Kask
2010-08-13, 11:04 AM
He seems to go gentle into that good night. Unless he starts yowling, I would keep him there.

Teddy
2010-08-13, 11:54 AM
I've actually heard that cats sometimes purr when they're in pain, sort of like humans sometimes laugh when they are. If she doesn't do it all the time, I don't think you should worry about that, though.

One more thing is that cats, like many other animals, sometimes sneak away to die in solitude hiding under a bush or the like, where they're practically impossible to find. I've got no idea on why they do this, but it might be a good idea to keep an eye on her and take her inside during night-time if you want to prevent this.

Ilena
2010-08-13, 12:01 PM
My cat died earlier this year, hit by a car probably flying down the street, when i got to her her body was still warm :S One of thew few times i can actually cry, so my advice? Enjoy the time you have left, at least you know its coming.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-08-13, 12:16 PM
My cat died earlier this year, too. He was 18, though. Been with us all my life. He'd stopped eating, and he was having trouble getting from place to place. We had the vet make a house call. I went at stayed with my grandparents that day.

The last couple of weeks were hard.

Obrysii
2010-08-13, 12:22 PM
I lost my cat a few years ago (her memorial is in, and will remain in, my signature); and she died at my side - my hand rubbing her side, just as she liked.

The last day and a half she was so weak - she lost the ability to walk, and the last day simply laid on my lap, awake but not moving, almost like a doll.

It was hard, but I like to think she passed peacefully.

I would not have taken her to the vet unless she showed substantial pain, and if yours seems happy to be with you - let him be with you. Take a day off work if you can, and just be with him.

Make your peace with him - this is your chance, don't regret it later.

...hey, look, it's...raining in my room. Yeah. Raining.

Asta Kask
2010-08-13, 12:27 PM
I've actually heard that cats sometimes purr when they're in pain, sort of like humans sometimes laugh when they are. If she doesn't do it all the time, I don't think you should worry about that, though.

They do. They also purr to show that they are small, insignificant and mean no harm - i.e. when they are scared but now they can't escape. My mom's black-and-white cat did that the first time he went to the vets. They couldn't listen to his lungs or heart because he was purring wildly to keep them from harming him. Poor little fellow.

Thajocoth
2010-08-13, 01:07 PM
I've had cats live well past 15. Is there something in particular other than body temperature that's recently made you think his time is up?

Well, the first night, he had emptied his stomach all over the house, tried to eat, but ejected that as well, then refused to eat or drink anything at all for a day. Later that day spewed a lot of blood across the room. None of us saw it happen, we just saw the blood. And since then he's got almost no energy and hasn't been screaming nearly as much as usual. Maybe once a day when he feels ok enough. He has started eating a little again, but FAR less than he needs. He's also been keeping to relatively enclosed areas... Hiding like he's about to die.

His purring is only when I'm petting him. And not every time I do so.

My mom made an appointment for him to get put to sleep tomorrow morning. It looks like we're taking him after all...

Bhu
2010-08-13, 04:06 PM
He could just be sick... (I always try to be hopeful).

Obrysii
2010-08-13, 08:19 PM
He could just be sick... (I always try to be hopeful).

Vomiting blood is an issue, but it could be something treatable.

At 15, my cat was not showing much in the way of age - a little slower, but still active. They can recover from pretty brutal illnesses - but every cat is different.

Just like people. Someone can be riding a Harley and going skydiving at 90; another person could be struggling to move around at 65.

Inhuman Bot
2010-08-14, 12:22 AM
I don't have an opinion, but I feel empathetic for you in this terrible time.

My Dog died on my birthday last year, at age 6. I offer my condolences. :/

Serpentine
2010-08-14, 03:42 AM
I've actually heard that cats sometimes purr when they're in pain, sort of like humans sometimes laugh when they are.I was gonna mention that. More than that, even: the purring might help heal them! :smalleek: No, really. (http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=JASMAN000110000005002666000003&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes&bypassSSO=1)

Well, the first night, he had emptied his stomach all over the house, tried to eat, but ejected that as well, then refused to eat or drink anything at all for a day. Later that day spewed a lot of blood across the room. None of us saw it happen, we just saw the blood. And since then he's got almost no energy and hasn't been screaming nearly as much as usual. Maybe once a day when he feels ok enough. He has started eating a little again, but FAR less than he needs. He's also been keeping to relatively enclosed areas... Hiding like he's about to die.

His purring is only when I'm petting him. And not every time I do so.

My mom made an appointment for him to get put to sleep tomorrow morning. It looks like we're taking him after all...Uh... Dunno about "dying of old age", but that's definitely a sick cat! :smalleek: Definitely a vet case - not necessarily a euthenasia case, unless the vet's already told you so.

Thajocoth
2010-08-14, 08:36 AM
Uh... Dunno about "dying of old age", but that's definitely a sick cat! :smalleek: Definitely a vet case - not necessarily a euthenasia case, unless the vet's already told you so.

I've brought forward the idea that he could be treatable or getting better on his own. We don't have the money to get him checked out. We wouldn't have the money to keep him medicated if need be either.

My mother believes he's been in pain for over a year, as she feels he's been agitated all this time. She also feels that if we do nothing, he'll likely have a worse episode than with the blood, and it will be very painful for him. He has had trouble keeping down solid foods for over a year as well. My brother believes he has cancer. We're not professionals or anything, but he is apparently acting pretty much the same as my grandmother and uncle each did when they had cancer (my mom took care of them until they died.) He's certainly been going deaf, which has been very annoying for him.

Mentally, he was really never the same after Tigger died, and then worsened when I left, worsened when my dad left, confused when I returned, and quite soon I will be leaving again and my mom & brother will be moving to another house that already has a couple animals that he doesn't know. (Being very grumpy and intolerant, he's going to have a big problem with all of that.) Regardless of anything else, he's certainly not going to be happy. Not that that would excuse us if we're wrong, but we think we're making the best decision with the information we have.

We will be leaving to bring him within the hour. Personally, it's not the choice I'd've made, but it's not my decision and I see all the reasons for it, and have been assured it's necessary and for Scamper's sake.

super dark33
2010-08-14, 09:46 AM
let him die in peace.
feed him from your hand, let him eat mushed food and encourege him to keep living. worked on my rabbit.
maybe you should get a kitty, so they will interact and the kitty will make the cat happy.

my rabbit, died of old age near my cat which died at age 16 a year later

Thajocoth
2010-08-14, 10:02 AM
The vet actually confirmed a lot. He was less than half the weight he should be, and there was a lot of blood in his feces. I'm told it was quick, but I just couldn't stay to watch.

I'll miss him, but I'm glad he's not suffering anymore at least.

Syka
2010-08-14, 11:03 AM
My condolences. :smallfrown: Losing a pet whose been with you so long is very difficult. *hug*

Asta Kask
2010-08-14, 11:16 AM
*hugs*

Do you have any pictures you can post? And are you getting a new one?

Thajocoth
2010-08-14, 11:20 AM
Thanks.

He was a very pretty cat, but surprisingly not photogenic.

http://www.gamecheetz.com/Scamper.jpg

http://www.gamecheetz.com/Scamper2.jpg

Asta Kask
2010-08-14, 11:21 AM
Definitely a CILP*.

*Cat I'd Like to Pet

CoffeeIncluded
2010-08-14, 11:28 AM
*Hugs* I'm really sorry.

But he is right: It is quick. The euthanasia drugs are actually an overdose of an anesthetic, usually some sort of barbiturate.

Elfin
2010-08-14, 01:10 PM
Really sorry, Thaj. Again, I want to offer my condolences.

Bhu
2010-08-14, 02:30 PM
*Mass Hugz*

Lycan 01
2010-08-14, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry, man. :smallfrown:

Teddy
2010-08-14, 04:27 PM
You have my condolences. Losing a pet friend is always hard...

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-14, 08:23 PM
So sorry for your loss. :smallfrown:

Cealocanth
2010-08-14, 11:05 PM
I'm sorry he passed away man. Losing a beloved pet is always tough.

super dark33
2010-08-15, 03:00 PM
yeah, but you can turn the sadness into happyness when you will get a new one, of course the 'sucssesor' wont be like him, but he will keep you at the present, and not te past

Starfols
2010-08-15, 04:13 PM
Again, my condolences. :smallfrown: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQlzITtxAMA)
At least you won't have to worry about him suffering.

Lord Loss
2010-08-15, 04:38 PM
EDIT: I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. My sympathies. My dog with whom I shared a birthday and who I'd know since I was born passed away a few years ago, so I know how you feel.

Thajocoth
2010-08-15, 06:44 PM
Thanks everyone.

I will not be getting another cat. I'll always remember him though. He's buried next to Tigger. The two of them were the best of friends for over a dozen years.