PDA

View Full Version : Evil Poverty Monster!

BumblingDM
2010-08-12, 07:13 PM
So i am almost done reading the Joe Abercrombie - The blade Itself series and was thinking of the eaters.

I think you would be able to make them by letting them have the vow of poverty - changing exalted to vile feats and making bonuses profane instead of holy.

but then also putting in the note that they have to eat an amount of people equal to their character level per month to retain their powers. Also apply the dependency stuff from the undead book if they try and not eat people.

Any thoughts?

Coidzor
2010-08-12, 07:14 PM
As PCs? meh.

As antagonists, go wild.

Greenish
2010-08-12, 08:52 PM
So i am almost done reading the Joe Abercrombie - The blade Itself series and was thinking of the eaters.

I think you would be able to make them by letting them have the vow of poverty - changing exalted to vile feats and making bonuses profane instead of holy.Why VoP? They do wear armour and use weapons, after all. A template and/or prestige class would be better options, IMO.

Sir_Elderberry
2010-08-12, 08:55 PM
I really thought this was going to be about PCs fighting socioeconomic problems.

Greenish
2010-08-12, 08:58 PM
I really thought this was going to be about PCs fighting socioeconomic problems.When I first saw the title, I thought it'd be about rust monsters.

Zaydos
2010-08-12, 09:04 PM
I really thought this was going to be about PCs fighting socioeconomic problems.

When I first saw the title, I thought it'd be about rust monsters.

I thought it would be about PCs with economic problems because they had lost their gear. So a little bit of both.

Although now I want an Aspect of Poverty.

BumblingDM
2010-08-14, 04:32 AM
sorry to have mislead - but yeah i was just thinking about the evil version of VoP

- if you read the books, they dont use armor or have weapons, also its a template ( which i would say VoP kind of is ) that comes from violating the 2nd law of the world set worth by the creator.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to make or how they would make an Evil version of VoP?

Fouredged Sword
2010-08-14, 10:11 AM
take an alignment unresticted version of VoP. Vile feats in place of exalted feats sounds good.

Have that change your type to aberation. (or be one to start off)

Levels in monk then go soul eater...
TPK
Profit?

Boci
2010-08-14, 10:31 AM
take an alignment unresticted version of VoP. Vile feats in place of exalted feats sounds good.

Have that change your type to aberation. (or be one to start off)

Levels in monk then go soul eater...
TPK
Profit?

Soul eater does not work that way. It takes a standard action to use a Su ability unless otherwise noted.

BumblingDM
2010-08-15, 06:13 PM
Soul eater is pretty good - what doesn't work that way?

Volos
2010-08-15, 06:18 PM
As a poverty monster, it should be making other people poor, not abstaining from wealth and ownership itself. Instead of having it eat a number of people per month, have it eat an amount of wealth. Soon the entire being is made of wealth; coins, gems, magic items, and the like. It will taunt the beggars, the poor, the desolate, and the unfortunate as it 'struts it stuff' (its stuff being money) and shows them what they cannot have. It steals, it gives bad business advice, it buys stock in real estate, and generally just makes people poor and sad all the time.

BumblingDM
2010-08-15, 06:25 PM
Ok looking thru the vile darkness book - I think it would be VoP with vile feats instead of exalted, and then they would be the Mortal Huner PrC

Boci
2010-08-15, 06:29 PM
Soul eater is pretty good - what doesn't work that way?

A lot of people assume soul eater allows you to use energy drain every time you make an unarmed or natural attack, but it doesn't, for reasons I explained in the post. Fouredged Sword may have realized this, but the words "monk" and "TPK" made me think otherwise.

As a poverty monster, it should be making other people poor, not abstaining from wealth and ownership itself. Instead of having it eat a number of people per month, have it eat an amount of wealth. Soon the entire being is made of wealth; coins, gems, magic items, and the like. It will taunt the beggars, the poor, the desolate, and the unfortunate as it 'struts it stuff' (its stuff being money) and shows them what they cannot have. It steals, it gives bad business advice, it buys stock in real estate, and generally just makes people poor and sad all the time.

Dusk giant, only swap HD of creatures consumed to X gp value consumed.

Acero
2010-08-15, 07:14 PM
I thought it would be about PCs with economic problems because they had lost their gear.

I thought it was about a monster made of poverty that killed things...

Zaydos
2010-08-15, 07:17 PM
I thought it was about a monster made of poverty that killed things...

Well I thought about that afterward. Almost made an Aspect of Poverty and then decided that I didn't want to make any monster whose sole purpose was destroying PC gear, it just felt too mean. I mean it would have had to have "Aura of Rust" "Rusting Touch" and so many other wealth destroying powers that I could never use it in an IRL game. Unless I cast Protection from Hurled Objects on myself first.

Ormur
2010-08-16, 01:45 AM
I also though this would be about anthropomorphic socio-economic problems or something but yeah, I've also always wanted to make my characters fight an evil order of ascetic monks sprouting platitudes about burdensome worldly possessions and purging the weak even-handedly.

BumblingDM
2010-08-20, 10:06 PM

A cool idea - but not exactly what i would be going for with the concept of the Eaters.

I would recommend anyone hasn't read the "The Blade Itself" Series to do so, they are pretty awesome and in the style of George R.R. Martin in the whole low magic world and all that

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-08-20, 10:15 PM
Please explain in more detail then, for those without access to these books. I have no idea who these Eaters are or what law they're violating.

Coidzor
2010-08-20, 10:17 PM
Yes, a bit more detail on what they're supposed to be so we could comment would be helpful.

thubby
2010-08-20, 10:20 PM
i second the "why vop" thing.
just make a few feats that require evil rituals (cannibalism, desecration, what have you) to stay up and you'd be set.

Greenish
2010-08-21, 06:51 AM
Please explain in more detail then, for those without access to these books. I have no idea who these Eaters are or what law they're violating.The second law (of magic or something) is "don't eat people". (The first is "don't hang out with demons", if memory serves.)

Eaters eat people and get great magical and/or physical prowess and nigh-invulnerability.

Several of them are also depicted wearing armour and wielding weapons during the final confrontation, not to mention their habits of wallowing in luxury.

[Edit]: Everyone's favourite drug has a take on it: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFirstLaw

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-21, 10:16 AM
Oh god

Poverty elementals.