PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Variant (actually OVERHAUL): Martial Barbarian [PEACH]

DrWeird
2010-08-12, 07:16 PM
Well, I've been a barbarian player for years. However, despite it being my favorite class (or maybe because of it) I examine it very closely, and draw a lot of nitpicking and actual opinions about most things. I've always been able to simply ignore the lack of good prestige classes and variants of barbarian for the longest time by playing rangers and druids - I've even been converting the Magma Druid as discussed here on this very forum into a pathfinder class with my own personal spin. Now, in the past, I've DM'ed many games, almost all 3.5, and have had no trouble homebrewing or tweaking with my friends. However, earlier this week I finally faced my gripes about the barbarian after starting Pathfinder about a month ago; I noticed how they didn't add much in; they just gave him a lot of not-so-great Rage Powers. So, finally, I took my frustrations of so many good years and put them to use.

It's essentially 3.5 barbarian in an overhaul, and CMB and CMD are terms borrowed from Pathfinder essentially representing the checks and saves for and against a combat maneuver like a bullrush or grapple.

EDIT: This has become part of my idea of Expanded Classes, in which full and average-BAB classes receive a major expansion.

Hit Die: d12

Barbarian Variant: Martial Barbarian
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Fast Movement, Martial Trance

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Uncanny Dodge

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Martial Training

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Martial Knowledge

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Improved Uncanny Dodge

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Martial Training

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Damage Reduction 1/-

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|I Break My Mortal Chains

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|Greater Martial Trance, Martial Training

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Damage Reduction 2/-

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+3|Indomitable, Titanic Grip

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+4|Martial Training

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+4|Damage Reduction 3/-

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+4|One with the Titans

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+5|Martial Training

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+5|Damage Reduction 4/-

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Truly Fearless

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Martial Training

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|Damage Reduction 5/-

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Mighty Martial Trance[/table]

Fast Movement - A barbarian’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Martial Trance (Ex) - Some barbarians are vicious warriors by blood, as a terrible strength of battle fills their veins and compels them to fight beyond the mortal means - and can cause themselves to fall into Martial Trances, where they become totally in tune with the pure ferocity of combat. A barbarian may enter a martial trance for 2 rounds + his Con modifier. At 2nd level, and other every level after, he may stay in it an additional 3 rounds per day. Temporary increases to Constitution, such as those gained from rage and spells like bear’s endurance, do not increase the total number of rounds that a barbarian can enter a martial trance per day. A barbarian can enter a martial trance as a move action any number of times per day. When in a Martial Trance, a Barbarian's strength modifier on attack and damage rolls is counted as double the base modifier (ex. a +3 to an attack roll becomes +6 for the purpose of the roll) as well as receiving a Dodge Bonus equal to their Dexterity modifier x 2 (ex. a dexterity of 16 provides a +6 dodge bonus to AC).This bonus stacks with any other bonuses, dodge or otherwise, received. They also gain +2 to all CMB and CMD (+2 against being tripped, +2 to bullrushing, etc). A barbarian in a martial trance cannot be fatigued affected by similar affects until their hit points are dropped to 0. While in a Martial Trance, a barbarian cannot use any Intelligence or Charisma-based checks beyond Intimidate checks. A barbarian may end their Martial Trance whenever they wish, but afterwards they are rendered Disabled for a number of rounds equal to the number of rounds spent in the Trance, but instead of lapsing into dying upon exacerbating their condition, they merely drop Unconscious. If a successful Heal Check is attempted, they are roused, but Fatigued for the same amount of time.

Martial Training (Ex) - A Martial barbarian gains certain talents over the course of their lives, ancient wrath and prowess in combat of their ancestors that manifests over time from their extended use of the Martial Trance. A barbarian automatically receives Furious Blow at 3rd level, and every third level after, they may select one Training Trait. Some Training requires a minimum level marked by [x+]

{table=head]Martial Training|Description
Furious Blow|A barbarian gains Power Attack if they did not already possess it. In addition, a barbarian in a Martial Trance with Furious Blow may subtract from their AC instead of their Attack roll.

Guts of Lead|A barbarian becomes immune to being sickened. At 10th level, they also become immunity to being nauseated.[6th+]

Body of Steel|A barbarian cannot be rendered exhausted. If they would be subjected to exhaustion, they are instead fatigued. Barbarians are no longer subject to a save against massive damage. [9th+]

Blood of Fire|A barbarian gains Cleave if they did not already possess it; if they already possesses Cleave, they gain Improved Cleave. While in a Martial Trance, they may utilize [Improved] Cleave on a successful critical hit, even if it does not kill the initial target.

Prowess of the Predator|While in a Martial Trance, a barbarian gains Pounce as an extraordinary ability, useable a number of times per day equal to 1 + 1/4 their barbarian level + their Con modifier[12th+]

Mind of Iron|A barbarian gains Iron Will if he did not already possess it; during a Martial Trance, they receive a bonus to any will save made equal to their constitution modifier (stacking with a bonus from a high wisdom ability score)for a maximum of +6 for one round per five barbarian levels per day. This ability stacks with any other bonus they would receive.

Juggernaut At Arms|A barbarian gains Improved Critical if they did not already possess it; during a Martial Trance, he may apply it to any non-improvised weapon wielded. [12+]

Savage Reflexes|A barbarian gains Lightning Reflexes if he did not already possess it; during a Martial Trance, they receive a bonus to any reflex save made equal to their strength modifier (stacking with a bonus from a high dexterity ability score) for a maximum of +6 for one round per five barbarian levels a day. This ability stacks with any other bonus they would receive.

Rend them Asunder|During a Martial Trance, any weapon wielded by the barbarian increases its die by one step (1d6 to 1d8) up to a maximum of d12.

Omnislayer|A martial barbarian may utilize a full attack option as an equivalent of a standard and move action as outlined in the martial barbarian ability,I Break My Mortal Chains, but may take such an action outside of a Martial Trance. [12+]

Skills of War|Select one feat from the fighter bonus feat list that you meet the prerequisites for.[/table]

Uncanny Dodge (Ex)- At 2nd level, a barbarian retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a barbarian already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Martial Knowledge - A barbarian adds half her class level (minimum 1) to all Knowledge skill checks related to identifying a monster’s abilities and weaknesses, as well as identifying or studying combat-related subjects, heroes and objects; they may make all Knowledge skill checks untrained.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex)- At 5th level and higher, a barbarian can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the barbarian by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has barbarian levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

I Break My Mortal Chains - A barbarian in a Martial Trance may utilize a full attack option as an equivalent of a standard and move action, as well as ignore the maximum dexterity bonus of any armor they are wearing, and at all times any armor they are wearing has its effective skill check penalty reduced by half, rounded down - this also reduces the land speed penalty.

Greater Martial Trance (Ex) - A barbarian within a Greater Martial Trance may enter a Martial Trance as a swift action, instead of a move action. The bonus to all CMB & CMD is increased to +4. Additionally, a barbarian in a Martial Trance cannot be staggered or stunned. If a barbarian in the midst of a Greater Martial Trance is reduced to 0 or less hit points, they may continue fighting as if their hit points were still positive. However, once their hit points reaches at least -1, the barbarian must make a fortitude save equal to their current negative hit points or die; otherwise, they may fight as if they were in positive hit points. If a barbarian ends their trance in negative hit points, they drop immediately, unconscious, and are considered dying. In addition, once their Trance ends normally (that is, in positive hit points), they are no longer disabled, and instead simply fatigued.

Titanic Grip (Ex) - A barbarian may wield a weapon one size category larger then they usually would with none of the penalties associated with using a weapon one size category larger than they. In addition, any weapon wielded by a barbarian is considered magical for overcoming damage reduction. At 20th, they are considered epic as well.

Indomitable (Ex) - While in a Martial Trance, a barbarian is immune to all Fear effects; in addition, cannot be shaken or panicked even outside of a Martial Trance.

One with the Titans (Ex) - A barbarian in a Martial Trance is treated as one size category larger than their own while in a Martial Trance for all rolls and checks. This effect stacks for creatures with Powerful Build.

Truly Fearless (Ex) - A barbarian gains immunity to all Fear effects, even outside of a Martial Trance.

Mighty Martial Trance (Ex) - A barbarian within a Mighty Martial Trance treats his Strength and Dexterity modifier as triple the base modifier for all attack and damage rolls and Armor Class (ex a +4 for attack rolls becomes a +12, a +3 to armor class for dex bonus becomes +9). Their bonus to CMB & CMD increases to +6, and when a barbarian in a Mighty Martial Trance successfully strikes an opponent with a critical hit, they must make a fortitude save or take double the final damage result of the critical, equal to 10 + the martial barbarian's CL + the barbarian's Martial Trance-improved strength bonus. Enemies immune to critical hits are not immune to a Martial Trance's massive damage. They no longer suffer fatigue after a trance.

----------

Tetrasodium
2010-08-12, 07:30 PM
Greater Martial Trance - A barbarian within a Greater Martial Trance may enter a Martial Trance as a free action, instead of a move action. The bonus to all CMB & CMD is increased to +4. Additionally, a barbarian in a Martial Trance cannot be staggered or stunned. If a barbarian in the midst of a Greater Martial Trance is reduced to 0 or less hit points, they may continue fighting as if their hit points were still positive. However, once their hit points drop to -10, they die when their trance ends. If their trance ends, and they are in negative values for hit points, they immediately drop unconscious, and are dying. In addition, once their Trance ends, they are no longer unconscious, and instead simply fatigued.

there is a stance similar to the fight till -10 bit in the book of 9 swords that might a bit better mechanic IMO (stone dragon:invulnerability iirc). Essentially it lasts for a number of rounds and lets you make fort saves with DC equal to your negative HP to continue fighting without problems then die instantly if you don't get healed to at least -9 before the stance ends/you fail a fort save. A hard cap of -10 just means you factor in the extra 10hp, a cap of -fort save or fall helpless/die is more of an actual buffer with some built in balancing (fort save can only go so high, 1 is always possible) though.

DrWeird
2010-08-12, 07:37 PM
I like that; changed it to something like it. I don't want to make it too difficult for them to stay fighting past 0 hp, so I changed it to fit the class.

Tetrasodium
2010-08-12, 07:49 PM
Mighty Martial Trance - A barbarian within a Mighty Martial Trance treats his Strength and Dexterity bonus as triple the base bonus for all attack and damage rolls and Armor Class (ex a +4 for attack rolls becomes a +12, a +3 to armor class for dex bonus becomes +9). Their bonus to CMB & CMD increases to +6, and when a barbarian in a Mighty Martial Trance successfully strikes an opponent with a critical hit, they must make a fortitude save or die, equal to 10 + 1/2 the barbarian's CL + the barbarian's Martial Trance-improved strength bonus. They no longer suffer fatigue after a trance.

I happened to notice this when going back to see what you changed. I admit to only having skimmed the pathfinder changes a bit, but didn't most of the save or die stuff get changed to save or suffer massive damage? Smacking the bejeezus out of the BBEG on that opening lucky crit is more fun than oops it died :).

DrWeird
2010-08-13, 02:07 PM
Fix'd some things.

A note: This is not strictly Pathfinder, because for a barbarian there's almost nothing separating the two besides the rage powers. It's just as much a 3.5 barbarian as a pathfinder barbarian.

Temotei
2010-08-13, 02:12 PM
Take out the spoiler. It's discouraging to open a thread to look at a class and have to push a button, as lame as that sounds. :smallamused:

DrWeird
2010-08-13, 02:38 PM
To be honest, when looking at this class I've built insofar, I think that it could be a straight up barbarian replacement for people looking for a change, that is, a retooling to 'fix' the class. As opposed to a straight variant, that is.

DM-Ninja
2010-08-28, 02:48 PM
Well, I've been a barbarian player for years. However, despite it being my favorite class (or maybe because of it) I examine it very closely, and draw a lot of nitpicking and actual opinions about most things. I've always been able to simply ignore the lack of good prestige classes and variants of barbarian for the longest time by playing rangers and druids - I've even been converting the Magma Druid as discussed here on this very forum into a pathfinder class with my own personal spin. Now, in the past, I've DM'ed many games, almost all 3.5, and have had no trouble homebrewing or tweaking with my friends. However, earlier this week I finally faced my gripes about the barbarian after starting Pathfinder about a month ago; I noticed how they didn't add much in; they just gave him a lot of not-so-great Rage Powers. So, finally, I took my frustrations of so many good years and put them to use.

It's essentially 3.5 barbarian in an overhaul, and CMB and CMD are terms borrowed from Pathfinder essentially representing the checks and saves for and against a combat maneuver like a bullrush or grapple.

Hit Die: d12

Barbarian Variant: Martial Barbarian
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Fast Movement, Martial Trance

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Uncanny Dodge

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Martial Training

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Martial Knowledge

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Improved Uncanny Dodge

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Martial Training

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Damage Reduction 1/-

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|I Break My Mortal Chains

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|Greater Martial Trance, Martial Training

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Damage Reduction 2/-

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+3|Indomitable, Titanic Grip

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+4|Martial Training

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+4|Damage Reduction 3/-

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+4|One with the Titans

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+5|Martial Training

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+5|Damage Reduction 4/-

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Truly Fearless

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Martial Training

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|Damage Reduction 5/-

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Mighty Martial Trance[/table]

(I'll skip to the added stuff, because I assume you PEACHers know the traditional barbarian abilities.)

Martial Trance (Ex) - Some barbarians are vicious warriors by blood, as a terrible strength of battle fills their veins and compels them to fight beyond the mortal means - and can cause themselves to fall into Martial Trances, where they become totally in tune with the pure ferocity of combat. A barbarian may enter a martial trance for 2 rounds + his Con modifier. At 2nd level, and other every level after, he may enter it an additional 3 rounds per day. Temporary increases to Constitution, such as those gained from rage and spells like bear’s endurance, do not increase the total number of rounds that a barbarian can enter a martial trance per day. A barbarian can enter a martial trance as a move action. When in a Martial Trance, a Barbarian's strength modifier on attack and damage rolls is counted as double the base amount(ex. a +3 to an attack roll becomes +6 for the purpose of the roll) as well as their Dexterity for armor class(ex. a +2 to armor class becomes +4 for the purpose of opposed checks).They also gain +2 to all CMB and CMD (+2 against being tripped, +2 to bullrushing, etc). A barbarian in a martial trance cannot be fatigued or otherwise incapacitated until their hit points are dropped to 0. A barbarian in a martial trance cannot be fatigued. While in a Martial Trance, a barbarian cannot use any Intelligence or Charisma-based checks. A barbarian may end their Martial Trance whenever they wish, but afterwards they are rendered disabled for a number of rounds equal to the number of rounds spent in the Trance, but instead of lapsing into dying upon exacerbating their condition, they merely drop unconscious. If a successful Heal Check is attempted, they are roused, but Fatigued for the same amount of time.

Martial Training (Ex) - A Martial barbarian gains certain talents over the course of their lives, ancestral fury and prowess in combat of their ancestors that manifests over time from their extended use of the Martial Trance. A barbarian automatically receives Furious Blow at 3rd level, and every third level after, they may select one Training Trait. They must meet the prerequisites for any mentioned Feats in that Trait to receive it. Some Training requires a minimum level marked by [x+]

{table=head]Martial Training|Description
Furious Blow|A barbarian gains Power Attack if they did not already possess it. In addition, a barbarian in a Martial Trance with Furious Blow may subtract from their AC instead of their Attack roll.

Soul of Iron|A barbarian becomes immune to being nauseated or sickened. [6th+]

Body of Steel|A barbarian cannot be rendered exhausted. If they would be subjected to exhaustion, they are instead fatigued. Barbarians are no longer subject to a save against massive damage. [9th+]

Blood of Fire|A barbarian gains Cleave if they did not already possess it; if they already possesses Cleave, they gain Improved Cleave. While in a Martial Trance, they may utilize [Improved] Cleave on a successful critical hit, even if it does not kill the enemy.

Will of Stone|While in a Martial Trance, a barbarian receives Spell Resistance equal to 1/2 their barbarian level + Wisdom Modifier [12th+]

Mind of Lead|A barbarian gains Iron Will if he did not already possess it; during a Martial Trance, they receive a bonus to any will save made equal to their wisdom modifier for a maximum of +6 for one round per five barbarian levels per day.

Juggernaut At Arms|A barbarian gains Improved Critical if they did not already possess it; during a Martial Trance, he may apply it to any non-improvised weapon wielded. [12+]

Savage Reflexes|A barbarian gains Lightning Reflexes if he did not already possess it; during a Martial Trance, they receive a bonus to any reflex save made equal to their dexterity modifier for a maximum of +6 for one round per five barbarian levels a day.

Rend them Asunder|During a Martial Trance, any weapon wielded by the barbarian increases its die by one step (1d6 to 1d8)up to a d12.

Omnislayer|A martial barbarian may utilize a full attack option as an equivalent of two standard actions as outlined in the martial barbarian ability,I Break My Mortal Chains, but may take such an action outside of a Martial Trance. [9+]

Skills of War|Select one feat from the fighter bonus feat list that you meet the prerequisites for.[/table]

Martial Knowledge - A barbarian adds half her class level (minimum 1) to all Knowledge skill checks related to identifying a monster’s abilities and weaknesses, as well as identifying or studying combat-related subjects, heroes and objects; they may make all Knowledge skill checks untrained.

I Break My Mortal Chains - A barbarian in a Martial Trance may utilize a full attack option as an equivalent of two standard actions, as well as ignore the maximum dexterity bonus of any armor they are wearing, and at all times any armor they are wearing has its effective skill check penalty reduced by half, rounded down. This also reduces the land speed penalty at all times.

Greater Martial Trance (Ex) - A barbarian within a Greater Martial Trance may enter a Martial Trance as a swift action, instead of a move action. The bonus to all CMB & CMD is increased to +4. Additionally, a barbarian in a Martial Trance cannot be staggered or stunned. If a barbarian in the midst of a Greater Martial Trance is reduced to 0 or less hit points, they may continue fighting as if their hit points were still positive. However, once their hit points reaches at least -1, the barbarian must make a fortitude save equal to their current negative hit points or die; otherwise, they may fight as if they were in positive hit points. If a barbarian ends their trance in negative hit points, they drop immediately, unconscious, and are considered dying. In addition, once their Trance ends normally (that is, in positive hit points), they are no longer disabled, and instead simply fatigued.

Titanic Grip (Ex) - A barbarian may wield a weapon one size category larger then they usually would with none of the penalties associated with using a weapon one size category larger than they. In addition, any weapon wielded by a barbarian is considered magical for overcoming damage reduction. At 20th, they are considered epic as well.

Indomitable (Ex) - While in a Martial Trance, a barbarian is immune to all Fear effects; in addition, cannot be shaken or panicked even outside of a Martial Trance.

One with the Titans (Ex) - A barbarian in a Martial Trance is treated as one size category larger than their own while in a Martial Trance for all rolls and checks. This effect stacks for creatures with Powerful Build.

Truly Fearless (Ex) - A barbarian gains immunity to all Fear effects, even outside of a Martial Trance.

Mighty Martial Trance (Ex) - A barbarian within a Mighty Martial Trance treats his Strength and Dexterity bonus as triple the base modifier for all attack and damage rolls and Armor Class (ex a +4 for attack rolls becomes a +12, a +3 to armor class for dex bonus becomes +9). Their bonus to CMB & CMD increases to +6, and when a barbarian in a Mighty Martial Trance successfully strikes an opponent with a critical hit, they must make a fortitude save or take double the final damage result of the critical, equal to 10 + the martial barbarian's CL + the barbarian's Martial Trance-improved strength bonus. Enemies immune to critical hits are not immune to a Martial Trance's massive damage. They no longer suffer fatigue after a trance.

----------

Thanks this saves me a fair amout of time and finally gives me an excuse to use more barbarians

DrWeird
2010-08-28, 03:22 PM
Thank you, but generally when you find something more than a few pages back, even if it's my project, it's much better to send a PM to me instead of take up front-page space.