PDA

View Full Version : Question on a Pathfinder Rogue?

Tech Boy
2010-08-12, 10:11 PM
Hello.

I am building a halfing rogue character for a campaign. Anyway. I have looked into some weapons that would be appropriate for the type of rogue that likes to run around and hit enemies and run away. I don't want to go with a ranged weapon for a primary. I looked at all of the bladed weapons that a rogue would have, and I am disappointed with the damage capabilities.

Is there anyway I can buff up something like a dagger or a rapier to be worth having?

I am in Pathfinder.

Greenish
2010-08-12, 10:17 PM
Is there anyway I can buff up something like a dagger or a rapier to be worth having?Yes, it's called "Sneak Attack".

The base damage of the weapon is usually just a fraction of your overall damage, so don't sweat it. :smallwink:

GoatToucher
2010-08-13, 12:15 AM
What makes halflings and gnomes viable rogues is the fact that, despite how low their base weapon damage is, their sneak attack bonus helps make them threats in combat.

Rixx
2010-08-13, 12:42 AM
A reach weapon might do you good, along with Spring Attack.

Take the Scout variant from the Advanced Player's Guide - you give up uncanny dodge in order to automatically get your sneak attack if you move enough.

PinkysBrain
2010-08-13, 01:01 AM
Spring attack is a trap.

Hurlbut
2010-08-13, 06:08 AM
Spring attack is a trap.Not if it let you to slip in, attack once, and slip out so he can't go full attack on you.

WinWin
2010-08-13, 06:30 AM
acid flasks and alchemical fire. Ranged touch sneak attacks that deal energy damage. Good for creatures with DR. Good for nearly everything in PF except incorporeal.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-13, 06:36 AM
Not if it let you to slip in, attack once, and slip out so he can't go full attack on you.

The rogue's damage relies on unleashing lots of sneak attacks. The best tool to do so is also flanking, so the standard high-damage setup is TWF, full attacks and flanking. Spring attack breaks all of it.

Mongoose87
2010-08-13, 07:37 AM
Rogues are starved for feats, as well, so Spring Attack really kills you there, too.

tumble check
2010-08-13, 08:26 AM
If you don't like the damage options on your build, then don't be a halfling. It's a trade-off: do you want more DEX for a higher chance to hit or a larger character for a larger damage die? You can't have both.

But for practical ways to deal with (but not completely solve) your problem, you can:

1) use magic weapons with either a magical bonus or additional damaging magical effects

2) use Sneak Attack as much as possible, since you are a rogue... look through some splat book feats concerning Sneak Attack, and see how they may help you

3) multiclass with monk to gain unarmed attacks that do lethal damage at elevated damage dice levels

4) take the Monkey Grip feat, which allows you to wield a weapon that is one size larger than your character (in this case, a medium sized weapon)

edit: above, when I referred to DEX giving you a higher chance to hit, I was assuming you'd take Weapon Finesse... forgive my assumption

Stompy
2010-08-13, 08:40 AM
.But for practical ways to deal with (but not completely solve) your problem, you can:

1) use magic weapons with either a magical bonus or additional damaging magical effects

2) use Sneak Attack as much as possible, since you are a rogue... look through some splat book feats concerning Sneak Attack, and see how they may help you

3) multiclass with monk to gain unarmed attacks that do lethal damage at elevated damage dice levels

4) take the Monkey Grip feat, which allows you to wield a weapon that is one size larger than your character (in this case, a medium sized weapon)

1 is a alright idea, but your main workhorse is sneak attack in terms of damage.

2 is spot on, use things that will help you either gain sneak attack (invisibility, +hide items) or will increase your combat prowess in terms of attack and damage. (I'm a big fan of craven if it is allowed.)

3 is a bad idea, because you need a good amount of monk to get your unarmed damage to be higher than a shortsword, which is levels of you not getting sweet sweet sneak attack. (as well as rogue skills)

4 is a trap, Monkey grip will let you wield weaponry one size higher, for an average (usually) of 1 damage (assuming you are going one-handed), but for a -2 to hit. Would you spend a feat to take -2 to hit for a +1 damage.

To paraphrase everyone I've read, Sneak Attack is what rogues do. It's how they do damage. A short sword is 1d6, while sneak attack is easily higher than that. If you can't sneak attack as a rogue, you aren't fighting in combat (as a rogue).

Person_Man
2010-08-13, 09:10 AM
If you want to use Attacks of Opportunity combo, then you'll want to use a long spear (simple weapon) because it has reach. If you don't, then you'll presumably want to go the Two Weapon Fighting route, and any light weapon will do.

Be sure to use your Rogue Talents to pick up extra Combat Feats and Weapon Finesse. The rest of them are garbage.

Rogue feats that I like:

Two Weapon Fighting tree: More attacks. Pathfinder SRD.

Improved/Greater Trip + Combat Reflexes + Knock-Down: Another way to generate attacks and lock your enemy down. Pathfinder and WotC SRD.

Double Hit: Allows you to make two attacks when you make an attack of opportunity. Miniatures Handbook.

Robilar's Gambit: Whenever an enemy swings at you, you get an AoO. Has high level BAB requirement, so this is a late game thing for Rogues.

Agile Maneuvers: Add your Dex in place of Str for Combat Maneuvers. Useful if you want to play a Trip or Bull Rush build. Pathfinder.

Savvy Rogue: Improves all your Special Rogue abilities. A reasonable DM will let them apply to your Advanced Talents. Comp Scoundrel

Maiming Strike: Replaces Sneak Attack with Charisma damage on a 2d6 for 1 basis. Some enemies have piss poor Cha. If they have high Cha, they often depend on it to cast. Exemplars of Evil.

Staggering Strike: When you Sneak Attack an enemy, they must Save or be Staggered for one round, limiting them to a single Move or Standard action. Comp Adventurer.

Craven: +1 Sneak Attack damage per character level. Champions of Ruin.

Undo Resistance: Sneak Attacks lower Spell Resistance. Great for high level characters. Fiendish Codex II.

Darkstalker: Lets you Hide, even if your enemy has scent, tremorsense, see invisibility, etc. Great for builds that can pick up Hide in Plain Sight. Lords of Madness.

You'll notice that there's not a lot of Pathfinder feats on that list. That's because most of them suck.

Starbuck_II
2010-08-13, 09:53 AM
acid flasks and alchemical fire. Ranged touch sneak attacks that deal energy damage. Good for creatures with DR. Good for nearly everything in PF except incorporeal.

Sadly, that was changed in PF.
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#throw-splash-weapon
Splash weapona can no longer deal sneak attack. PF designers didn't like it.