PDA

View Full Version : support bard cohort [3.5]

faceroll
2010-08-12, 11:21 PM
I am playing a druid in a melee heavy party, and I'm coming up on level 6 soon. I was thinking of picking up leadership so I could start a druid coven or whatever they're called. I'd have a savage bard cohort and adept followers.

Human savage bard (UA variant) with craft wand, craft wonderous item, and song of the heart. He'd be old age and something of a sage with ranks in skills the party doesn't have- knowledges, spellcraft, UMD. In combat he'd sing, then just be a healbot/buffbot. Out of combat he would craft wands for healing (with my druid providing spells like lesser vigor) and better equipment for the party.

Must have spells are:
1st lvl inspirational boost
2nd lvl glitterdust (we are currently getting messed up by invisible foes), tactical precision

Are there any other good spells out there? I get 2 more 1st level ones, and am totally underwhelmed with zero level spells. I am not looking to have this character do anything amazing, just give bonuses to allies in combat and heal wounds.

Suggestions for equipment? Song & Silence (3.0) has the masterwork horn which increases attack & damage from bard song to +2. I do not have access to MiC, unfortunately.

faceroll
2010-08-13, 07:50 AM
That good, huh?

Fouredged Sword
2010-08-13, 11:33 AM
I would consider giving him shape spell and some metamagic reducers to give giltter dust a huge area of effect. It makes it much easier to hit those hiden foes.

Tyger
2010-08-13, 11:41 AM
What other sourcebooks do you have access to? You note you do not have MiC (which is a shame, the Badge of Valour there is the thing for helping out your Inspire Courage). But if you have access to the Complete line, then Complete Scoundrel has rules for Masterwork instruments, which can provide a variety of benefits, dependant on the skills of the bard obviously.

For spells, and a lot of other advice, you might want to take a look at The Bard's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284.0) over at BrilliantGameologists - that site is a great source for handbooks.

If you want him to be a completely support role (good choice in a cohort!), look at Beastland Ferocity to keep your warriors up, and Silent Image is always a solid choice. For some combat ability, take a long hard look at Whirling Blade - its a great spell, and really can help add up the damage.

Feats like Haunting Melody are great, in that they lower the enemies abilities, making your allies job that much easier.

There's a lot of good advice in that handbook, be sure to take a look if you haven't already.