PDA

View Full Version : Multiclass Crusader/Bard/Marshal/Battledancer Concept (PEACH)

Talbot
2010-08-13, 05:29 AM
So I'm making a character, starting at level 3, and I want him to be more or less the ultimate buffer. I've pretty much made up my mind on classes, but I'm not sure on the order yet. Race is Hellbred, Cha is above maxed (traded other stats at a loss to pump it for RP reasons).

Here's what I want (total): Bard 1/Crusader 16/Marshal 1/Battle Dancer 2

I'm committed to Bard at level 1, and I'd like to have all the non-Crusader stuff done by level 5, but I'd also like to live to level 5.

I'm planning to focus on Devoted Spirit and White Raven, and take some/all of the following feats: Song of the Heart, Extra Music, Song of the White Raven, Words of Creation, I'll almost definitely take at least one combat-based feat (probably Weapon Finesse, maybe Knowledge Devotion if I have the skill points to spare), and the DM's allowing two Flaws, so I'll probably take those too.

What I need from the Playground is mostly build sequence suggestions, spell suggestions, any good suggestions for later feats/magic gear, etc. I really want to amp up Inspire Courage(can't Dragonfire it for racial reasons), and the Marshal's aura. If someone could figure out a way for me to trigger an Otto's Irrestible Dance-esque effect with my fiddle (and ideally a perform related DC), they'd get mega-bonus points.

katans
2010-08-13, 05:49 AM
You'll need Melodic Casting for simultaneous bardic music and spellcasting. Also, Snowflake Wardance? More to attacks isn't bad.

Person_Man
2010-08-13, 08:34 AM
My 2cp:

I would dump the levels of Marshal and Battle Dancer, and replace them with more Crusader and/or Bard. The Marshal Minor Aura (presumably Motive Strength) will only be useful for melee builds in your party who rely on Trip or Bull Rush (maybe 1 other player). I assume you're taking Battle Dancer for Cha to AC. But AC buffs are relatively cheap by mid levels (especially if you have access to UMD, which you do), and AC itself is a secondary defense at higher levels (since BBEG have ridiculous To-Hit bonuses, and tons of magic/psionics/etc ignore it entirely) so it's not worth giving up 2 class levels to get it.

Slippers of Battledancing: +10 land speed, +5 competence bonus to Tumble, and if you have 5 ranks in Perform (dance) you can use your Cha instead of Str or Dex as your bonus to attack with one handed or light weapons. So it's superior to Weapon Finesse for your build. 33,750 gp, DMGII pg 272.

Snowflake Wardance: As a Free Action you can burn a Bardic Music use to gain your Cha bonus to hit for a number of rounds equal to your Perform Skill. Frostburn pg 50.

Dragonfire Inspiration: Converts Inspire Courage bonus to a energy damage bonus. Dragon Magic.

Sudden Stunning weapon enhancement: Enemy must Save or be Stunned for multiple rounds. Useable Cha bonus times per day. A steal at only +2,000 gp. Magic Item Compendium.

Killoren race: Once per hour (up to your Cha bonus times per day) you can Smite any aberration, construct, humanoid, ooze, outsider, or undead (adding your Cha to-hit and hit die to damage). You also have the Fey type, which opens up some Alter Self shenanigans. Races of the Wild.

Combat Panache: Offers several maneuvers. The main benefit is that you can make an Intimidate check (Move Action) to impose your Cha bonus as a penalty to hit against one enemy until the end of the encounter. In addition, after an enemy hits you, you can make a Bluff check to play dead. So if you’re close to death and afraid of multiple attacks before you can heal or run away, this will make your enemies ignore you for until you choose to get up. PHBII pg 93.

Choker of Eloquence: +10 competence bonus to Diplomacy, Bluff, and Perform (sing) Skills. 24,000 gp, Comp Adventurer pg 132.

Amulet of Peace: Twice per day you can replace your AC with a Diplomacy check for 1 round. 5,000 gp, Secrets of Sarlona pg 139.

Talbot
2010-08-13, 01:01 PM
I'm using the Marshal level mostly for the ability to boost saves and/or initiative, and the free Diplomacy boost. I like Battledancer for fluff reasons (and a boost to Reflex is nice), and I'm nowhere near mid levels so I can't just magic-away my problems (plus, I want to go unarmored and the DM doesn't like the Unarmored AC rules for UA). Also, since the rest of the party is a Knight, a Mystic Theurge, and a Binder, I may end up having to be the secondary melee guy some of the time so a little survivability wouldn't suck.

I can't do Dragonfire Inspiration (no Draconic heritage) and I think my to-hit (between nearly full base attack and the + whatever I'll be giving myself via Bardic Music) should be more or less fine.

The main bummer is going to be burning two skill points on perform every Crusader level...

Edit: Is there a way to make my Fascinate target more creatures without actually taking extra levels in Bard?

gallagher
2010-08-13, 08:19 PM
I'm using the Marshal level mostly for the ability to boost saves and/or initiative, and the free Diplomacy boost. I like Battledancer for fluff reasons (and a boost to Reflex is nice), and I'm nowhere near mid levels so I can't just magic-away my problems (plus, I want to go unarmored and the DM doesn't like the Unarmored AC rules for UA). Also, since the rest of the party is a Knight, a Mystic Theurge, and a Binder, I may end up having to be the secondary melee guy some of the time so a little survivability wouldn't suck.

I can't do Dragonfire Inspiration (no Draconic heritage) and I think my to-hit (between nearly full base attack and the + whatever I'll be giving myself via Bardic Music) should be more or less fine.

The main bummer is going to be burning two skill points on perform every Crusader level...

Edit: Is there a way to make my Fascinate target more creatures without actually taking extra levels in Bard?
have an Int of 13, and take more levels of crusader for the whole survivability thing. you could actually be a lightly armored crusader/bard straight up for a while. you have a damage pool, and white raven gives you soooo many buffs. just remember to get a trip weapon and island of blades or whatever to keep too many people from getting too close