PDA

View Full Version : Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops?

Lord Loss
2010-08-13, 07:47 AM
Should I get Modern Warfare 2, or wait for Black Ops to come out? I can't decide which of the two to purchase and would like the opinion of the playground before buying one.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-08-13, 12:35 PM
If you had to choose between the two, Black Ops. MW2 is going to get dropped by a lot of players once BO comes out. Of course, really you should find a different shooter all together, like Bad Company 2 or Medal of Honor.

Vitruviansquid
2010-08-13, 12:56 PM
Wait two weeks after Black Ops comes out, just in case it sucks.

Terry576
2010-08-13, 04:02 PM
Should I get Modern Warfare 2, or wait for Black Ops to come out? I can't decide which of the two to purchase and would like the opinion of the playground before buying one.

You could always buy a good shooter like Killzone 3.

Or Halo.

Or anything that has Multiplayer for a game that consistently has more than one person.

Albub
2010-08-13, 05:14 PM
Why the hate for MW2? I cannot grasp why despite the fact that literally every human being ever loves MW2, I'm the only person on this forum that seems to appreciate it at all. Wait for Black Ops, most of the player base is going to get it when it comes out, and if it turns out that MW2 is still the most popular CoD out there you'll probably be able to pick it up for less than what it costs right now.

Tydude
2010-08-13, 05:31 PM
Why the hate for MW2? I cannot grasp why despite the fact that literally every human being ever loves MW2, I'm the only person on this forum that seems to appreciate it at all.
Yes, every human being ever in the history of time has loved MW2. Literally.

Vitruviansquid
2010-08-13, 05:51 PM
Why the hate for MW2? I cannot grasp why despite the fact that literally every human being ever loves MW2, I'm the only person on this forum that seems to appreciate it at all. Wait for Black Ops, most of the player base is going to get it when it comes out, and if it turns out that MW2 is still the most popular CoD out there you'll probably be able to pick it up for less than what it costs right now.

I guess a lot of people hate it because it's so popular. It's always been popular to hate things that are popular!

Personally, I find a lot of its design decisions to be outdated and others downright perverse and wrong-headed. But hey, they did something really right if so many people are playing it.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-08-13, 06:14 PM
I guess a lot of people hate it because it's so popular. It's always been popular to hate things that are popular!

Shockingly enough, its not. I was really excited to get that game, but as time went on and we got closer to its release, I realised more and more that it just didn't look fun to me at all. Later on after playing, I found out I was right.
Not buying MW2 was the best saving of $60 I've ever spent.

Also, despite my claims for Bad Company 2 and Medal of Honor, I have to agree that Killzone 3 would be your best choice, just it doesn't come out for another half a year.

Milskidasith
2010-08-13, 06:17 PM
I think you should probably wait for Killzone 3 to come out before recommending it, especially if your experience with MW2 has shown you games you thought you would like were not games you actually liked.

Terry576
2010-08-13, 06:21 PM

Personally, I find a lot of its design decisions to be outdated and others downright perverse and wrong-headed. But hey, they did something really right if so many people are playing it.

No, you don't get in Vitruvian.

MW2 is so popular that half the kids at my school play it, and call themselves gamers.

Then they mock me for actually y'know, gaming.

That and the dialogue is about as good as the voice-acting from Resident Evil (Master of Unlocking!1q1111eleven!!1), the story makes no sense, and people seem to consistently praise it as the "Most realistic shooter EVAR!"

You want realism? Alright, here's the real war-game:

You get shot once, you die, or you survive and get shipped home, to live with the anguish and PTS that comes with going to war, as your loved ones slowly leave you, and you drown in anguish.

Was it worth it? Was it worth the pain you now have to go through, just to go to war? Was it worth losing Sally, your friends slowly leaving you, and creating your own personal hellhole?

...Who am I kidding. Get Bioware to make that game, it'd be freaking AWESOME.

Milskidasith
2010-08-13, 06:25 PM
Terry, your post has no reasons why you dislike MW2 besides the fact that it is popular and that annoying, misinformed people play it. That does not seem very persuasive if you are arguing you don't hate it because it is popular!

I can see plenty of reasons to dislike it (dominance of grenades, issue with some of the maps design, etc.), but you haven't really given any, besides the voice acting, which wasn't bad at all in my experience.

Terry576
2010-08-13, 06:40 PM
Terry, your post has no reasons why you dislike MW2 besides the fact that it is popular and that annoying, misinformed people play it. That does not seem very persuasive if you are arguing you don't hate it because it is popular!

I can see plenty of reasons to dislike it (dominance of grenades, issue with some of the maps design, etc.), but you haven't really given any, besides the voice acting, which wasn't bad at all in my experience.

I meant the dialogue, the hype, the annoying misguided people, the map designs, the ridiculous plot (Russia attacking America? And breaking through the freaking hundred radar towers? "Hey Tom you see anything?" "Oh nothing much, just a bunch of Russian airplanes." "Cool."), the aggravation when you lose because the Multiplayer system is broken, grenades, and the fact that it was such a letdown after MW1.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-08-13, 08:01 PM
I think you should probably wait for Killzone 3 to come out before recommending it, especially if your experience with MW2 has shown you games you thought you would like were not games you actually liked.

Yes, but I loved Killzone 2, which KZ3 looks to be very simiar to. CoD4 I did not think was that great, but it seemed to me like MW2 was going in a slightly different direction, which made me excited.
I hope that made sense to you.

Oregano
2010-08-13, 08:13 PM
Yes, but I loved Killzone 2, which KZ3 looks to be very simiar to. CoD4 I did not think was that great, but it seemed to me like MW2 was going in a slightly different direction, which made me excited.
I hope that made sense to you.

But Killzone 3 is apparently changing to a more run n gun style compared to Killzone 2 and the online might be messed up if they allow Move and Dual Analog users to fight each other.

On topic: I'd wait for Black Ops but that's partially because I think Infinity Ward(or the team formally known as IW) are arrogant and don't support games properly whilst Treyarch are hard workers who give great support for their games and just try to please the players.

Example: IW said a Wii version of Modern Warfare wasn't possible, Treyarch then ported the game to the Wii and then actually patched it(which is a very, very rare occurrence on the Wii).

You could also pick up one of the other great shooters coming out... and there's a lot.

Falgorn
2010-08-14, 01:35 PM
I'd say wait for Black Ops.

But, like the others on this thread, I also reccomend a different shooter. Bad Company 2, or Halo Reach.

warty goblin
2010-08-15, 07:21 PM

You get shot once, you die, or you survive and get shipped home, to live with the anguish and PTS that comes with going to war, as your loved ones slowly leave you, and you drown in anguish.

Was it worth it? Was it worth the pain you now have to go through, just to go to war? Was it worth losing Sally, your friends slowly leaving you, and creating your own personal hellhole?

I'd play that, but not if Bioware made it. I've never seen anything that indicates to me that Bioware is capable of writing more than competent but fundamentally boilerplate genre pulp with utterly vanilla main characters.

Something like that would require exceedingly good writing, and a protagonist with a believable and identifiable personality strongly enough executed to pretty much carry the game. CD Projekt Red might be able to do it well, maybe Ice Pick Lodge if only because nobody does misery better than they do, but Bioware? Not a chance.

As for shooters, I've been playing Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising this week, and rather enjoying it. The mission design isn't the most hearstopping ever, but the guns handle quite convincingly, the ballistics are good, and the health system is quite honestly better than just about anything else I've ever played. It's worth a shot if you're feeling like taking a walk on the side of the fence where health doesn't regenerate and you can make iron sights only kills from 200 meters.

Oregano
2010-08-16, 05:25 AM
I'd play that, but not if Bioware made it. I've never seen anything that indicates to me that Bioware is capable of writing more than competent but fundamentally boilerplate genre pulp with utterly vanilla main characters.

Oooo burn... but I completely agree.

Oh yeah and slightly related but I saw some Medal of Honour footage recently and ugh... it looks so poor. The graphics don't seem to match Modern Warfare 2 even and the gameplay doesn't look too hot... especially the multiplayer.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-08-16, 09:13 AM
Oooo burn... but I completely agree.

Oh yeah and slightly related but I saw some Medal of Honour footage recently and ugh... it looks so poor. The graphics don't seem to match Modern Warfare 2 even and the gameplay doesn't look too hot... especially the multiplayer.

Are you kidding me? MW2 graphics are some of the worst I have seen in years. When I first started playing it, I thought some of my friends had lied to me and secrety inserted CoD4 instead.
EDIT: When I say worst in years, I mean amongst games that claim to actually have good graphics.

Tokuhara
2010-08-16, 06:15 PM
I actually say neither. Blacks Ops is too Rambo-ish for me, and MW2 is overrated. It's a refluff of MW. Get Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Mafia 2, or Grab a tried and true classic such as GTA4, ME2, or DA

Ihouji
2010-08-20, 01:26 AM
Honestly with the number of people hacking MW2 the game has been ruined at this point an IW is doing nothing about it. I own it and don't play it anymore because of that. Black opps doesn't look very impressive to me ether so I have gone back to the tried and true Team Fortress 2.

Setra
2010-08-20, 02:07 AM
No, you don't get in Vitruvian.

MW2 is so popular that half the kids at my school play it, and call themselves gamers.

Then they mock me for actually y'know, gaming.

That and the dialogue is about as good as the voice-acting from Resident Evil (Master of Unlocking!1q1111eleven!!1), the story makes no sense, and people seem to consistently praise it as the "Most realistic shooter EVAR!"

It sounds to me like you don't hate the game, you hate the people who play it. Generally speaking, you'd be in the worst position to reliably review the game.