PDA

View Full Version : (4e) Marauder Ranger Build

AtwasAwamps
2010-08-13, 08:33 AM
So, I'd like to build a Marauder ranger. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the conceptual way this style of ranger is supposed to work. I've looked at the handbook at wizards.com and it didn't really give me much to work with as far as Marauders are concerned, but I'm still looking it over. Does anyone have some advice for how to set one up?

Faleldir
2010-08-13, 08:42 AM
Isn't it the same as a two-blade Ranger, but with a longsword and drow long knife instead of two bastard swords?

Tequila Sunrise
2010-08-13, 08:49 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure what the point of the marauder build is if not 'I'm a gimped dual-wielder!' The build suggests using Str and Wis for your important stats, which leaves your AC in the toilet. So to start with, I'd either ignore that advice or pick up heavy armor prof ASAP.

Or just play the original dual-wielding ranger build.

Urpriest
2010-08-13, 11:45 AM
These days it seems like Marauders have two choices, which unfortunately don't combine very well. You can play a thrown+melee combo with Throw and Stab, or you can play a charger with Marauder's Rush. Manticore's Fury is a decent damage boost for the Throw and Stab style, while chargers are easy to optimize. Unfortunately Throw and Stab no longer triggers Marauder's Rush. You probably don't need Wis much as a Throw-and-Stabber, while a focus on Marauder's Rush requires heavier armor (which is certainly doable, look at Lordduskblade's Trailblazer on the WotC forums). In either case you still want Twin Strike for turns when you can't do your tricks.

Mando Knight
2010-08-13, 04:30 PM
Marauders can use the Long Knife for the accuracy, or just use a Hand Axe/Throwing Hammer like most everyone else. Or the Tratnyr if you want your main-hand weapon to be the thrown one instead of your off-hand weapon. I would actually recommend Str/Dex, with Wis and Con at around 13-14 each. This lets you use more of the ranged powers with the Long Knife. Half-Orcs do the best at this, since it's the least costly for them to go 18/16/whatever for Str/Dex, but Elves, Shifters, Essentials Dwarves, and such can also ease it up by boosting a main stat and a secondary stat.

This also pumps up your AC a touch, enforcing your role as the defensive Ranger build due to the free TWD.

Faleldir
2010-08-13, 05:49 PM
Or the Tratnyr if you want your main-hand weapon to be the thrown one instead of your off-hand weapon.
Are you implying there's a spear with the off-hand property?

Mando Knight
2010-08-13, 06:23 PM
Not trying to, as there isn't (though Weapon Mastery would help to cover a mismatched pair), but the Tratnyr is a d8 Javelin with the Versatile keyword, making it the strongest thrown weapon in the game so far. If you want your ranged powers to pack more punch on each hit, the Tratnyr is worth a look, especially if you've got decent to-hit anyway. Then you pair it with a Short Sword or something else for your off-hand weapon. You could even consider multiclassing into Fighter or Rogue (the latter especially with the Short Sword) for the Surprising Charge feat, adding +1[W] to your charge attacks with light blades or spears.

NecroRebel
2010-08-13, 06:53 PM
Are you implying there's a spear with the off-hand property?

There actually is a spear with the off-hand property, namely the Urgrosh. It's a double weapon, however, and can't be thrown, so doesn't really solve the problem.

Urpriest
2010-08-13, 06:55 PM
There actually is a spear with the off-hand property, namely the Urgrosh. It's a double weapon, however, and can't be thrown, so doesn't really solve the problem.

Hungry Spear Urgosh.