PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Pale Master

Popertop
2010-08-13, 10:14 AM
Just discovered this PrC, wondering if anyone else thinks its good.

Pretty nice capstone and some other okay-ish abilities, the only thing that worries me is half-casting progression. Does that make it worthless?

Kyeudo
2010-08-13, 10:16 AM
The First Commandment of Optimization is "Thou Shalt Not Lose Caster Levels." Anything that loses more than 2 caster levels is usually crappy and even those that only lose 1 are trouble without a significant class feature to make up for it.

Fouredged Sword
2010-08-13, 10:46 AM
It is very nice for a gestalt necromancer where you can make up for the lost casting. Other than that I would point you to the fell animate metamagic feat for free undead creation, as it is likely a better way to animate free undead at lower opertunity cost.

Just fell animate chill touch or whatever that low level spell that lets you deal 1dsometing cold damage as a touch a number of times, then cu-de-gra all fallen foes.

For earlier levels fell animate a acid splash for a cu-de-gra. Nothing like free zombies at level 5.

Popertop
2010-08-13, 11:54 AM
I'd say immunity to crits is a pretty significant class feature.

What kind of feats make up for lost caster level?

Kyeudo
2010-08-13, 12:00 PM
I'd say immunity to crits is a pretty significant class feature.

Not when it can be duplicated by half a dozen spells. A significant class feature is a class feature that can function as an "I win" button or makes an "I win" button into a "I pwnt you noob" button. Take the Recaster, for example. It loses one caster level, but in exchange you get the ability to play around with the shape of your spells left and right. Also gives you some free metamagic to play with and a couple other class features wizards normally don't get.

Feats never make up for a lost caster level. A lost caster level is one less Wish per day. A lost feat is a missing +2 bonus to some random skill or check.

jiriku
2010-08-13, 12:00 PM
There aren't any feats that are worth a lost caster level. Class features that would justify lost levels might include:

a 50% miss chance that's on all the time
a miss chance that works against spells
permanent reduction of all metamagic spell level adjustments by -1
ability to apply metamagic to your spells for free several times per day
20% or greater increase in your list of spells known
full base attack, a d6 or d8 hit die, and the ability to cast in medium armor

Set
2010-08-13, 12:27 PM

The one that gives you +4 to your caster level, up to a maximum of your character level. :)

Philistine
2010-08-13, 12:35 PM
It is very nice for a gestalt necromancer where you can make up for the lost casting. Other than that I would point you to the fell animate metamagic feat for free undead creation, as it is likely a better way to animate free undead at lower opertunity cost.

Just fell animate chill touch or whatever that low level spell that lets you deal 1dsometing cold damage as a touch a number of times, then cu-de-gra all fallen foes.

For earlier levels fell animate a acid splash for a cu-de-gra. Nothing like free zombies at level 5.
Coup de grace. Please. Coup de grace.

The one that gives you +4 to your caster level, up to a maximum of your character level. :)
... but which doesn't get you additional spells per day or spells known. So not quite as useful.

Popertop
2010-08-13, 01:14 PM
Take the Recaster, for example.

My DM would never NEVER allow the recaster.
And he also thinks being immune to critical hits is way too good, to the point that he won't allow Warshaper either.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-13, 01:20 PM
Does he also ban Fortification armor?:smallconfused:

Emmerask
2010-08-13, 01:24 PM
Just discovered this PrC, wondering if anyone else thinks its good.

Pretty nice capstone and some other okay-ish abilities, the only thing that worries me is half-casting progression. Does that make it worthless?

In a tier3 to tier 4 powerlevel campaign/adventure it could be a valid choice.

TooManyBadgers
2010-08-13, 02:13 PM
Check out the 3.5 version in Libris Mortis. It's much better balanced with a straight-classed Necromancer:

It grants 9/10 casting progression, ASF reduction, free Animate Dead, some nice defenses and immunities, an undead cohort and a nasty touch attack you'll probably never use.

It's a fantastic prestige class in terms of its design: it's very close to the same power of its base-class alternative, but it has some extra useful and flavorful toys to play with.

It's kind of mediocre as far as CharOp goes, though. It's not like Fatespinner, Paragnostic Apostle, Loremaster or Sacred Exorcist in that it has actual costs in exchange for its benefits.

My one quibble is that the first level of LM Pale Master is absolutely dead -- no casting, no class abilities, bad skills.

Other than that, I think it, alongside the Malconvoker, is the best example of what a casting Prestige class should look like.

JaronK
2010-08-13, 02:17 PM
Agreed. It's a balanced and solid PrC. Would I take it? Only if I were playing a Necromancer in a game where I couldn't get enough onyxes and Spell Stitching wasn't allowed. But it's a good PrC.

That means it's not stronger than the base class, just more specialized.

JaronK

Keld Denar
2010-08-13, 02:18 PM
As a wizard base, just prep and cast Heart of Air(2nd), Heart of Water(3rd), Heart of Earth(4th), Heart of Fire(5th), and Heart of Heart(CAPTAIN PLANET!). They last hours per level, grant you 25% fortification with 2, 100% fortification with all 4, and you can discharge them to give you a couple of VERY lifesaving features like Freedom of Movement or Stoneskin.

Thats a MUCH better path to 100% fortification than Pale Master. Basically, Pale Master doesn't give you anything that you can't already replicate with spells in a better, more powerful way.

playswithfire
2010-08-13, 04:18 PM
I've enjoyed it ever since I made a gestalt BBEG with it; 16th level sorcerer/pale master // battle dancer/crusader. Pale Master's immunities and the 8th level devoted spirit stance made him an interesting fight.

Kyeudo
2010-08-13, 04:22 PM
My DM would never NEVER allow the recaster.
And he also thinks being immune to critical hits is way too good, to the point that he won't allow Warshaper either.

Did your DM have a heart attack when he saw the Planar Shepherd?

Popertop
2010-08-13, 05:31 PM
Sorry, I didn't know about those spells, what are they from?

Keld Denar
2010-08-13, 05:33 PM
Complete Mage, all 4 of them.

There is no Heart of Heart spell...I made that up to complete my Captain Planet joke...

Urpriest
2010-08-13, 06:44 PM
Doesn't Pale Master give the otherwise tricky-to-find immunity to subdual damage without being an undead or construct? I seem to recall it being pretty key in immunity to damage builds, along with half-black dragon war troll.