PDA

View Full Version : Building the "junk lady" from Labyrinth

EasilyAmused
2010-08-13, 12:37 PM
I had a concept a while ago for a PC, but never did anything with it because, well, I stink at homebrewing. Couldn’t do it well to save my life, or my character’s life. But I have an opportunity coming up in about a month where this concept would work well.

Idea: ever see The Labyrinth? Ok. Remeber the “junk lady?” She was a little old woman that had the equivalent to a junk yard strapped to her back, making it hard to tell where the stuff started and she ended.
Well it’s almost exactly that.

Restrictions: DnD 3.5 - non-game breaking. That's it.
New base class, prestige class, weird build of other classes, anything goes - something may already be out there like this and I just don’ know about it. (If so, cool!) The DM’s already said that brewing is okay, and has mentioned there may be mild steampunkness thrown in here and there in the campaign.

The random thoughts that started it all:
The Collector
Character has a love of stuff - all stuff, shiny or not - and firmly believes that everything will be useful at some point or another. Always be prepared is his mantra, and he always is. As a youngster, he/she horded odds and ends, string, buttons, scraps of wood... but as he/she got older the collection grew. Not willing to part with anything he had collected (in case he needed it), he soon became quite strong from carrying everything around. Now, he/she has taken to adventuring as means of acquiring more stuff and has discovered that his collection has prepared him in more ways than one. His supplies are the envy of every other adventuring party and his strength of such renown to keep any would-be looters on their guard.

Or maybe... Mortimus the wizard was a great wizard with a bad back and a lackey - (PC name). As a lad, (PC name) was forced to carry the wizard’s books, components and equipment wherever the roaming wizard went. (PC name) had no real interest in magic, but really, really liked the stuff that went with it. Over the years, he became quite adept at using any item that came into his hands, his very, very strong hands... He parted with Mortimus under the weight of a small mountain of items he had collected and smiling at the idea of collecting even more...

Key ability- MASSIVE strength

Possible inspiration:
use magic item - has a knack for getting the most out of his collection, has no problem working with any of the wands, potions, scrolls, etc... that’s been strapped in (for a certain amount of time?)

re-configure the collection - as the collection grows, the collector naturally keeps things organized and (stable) dispite the tottering appearance of the growing structure. The collector has the ability to reconfigure his collection so that instead of being a vertical structure, it becomes horizontal (for use in areas with low ceilings... possibly to be used as a battering ram at higher levels (?))

tucked away for safe keeping - there is nothing that cannot be strapped on to the collection. Epic collectors have been known to have turrets, portcullises, prison cells, large marble statues, etc... strapped on. However, the more impressive ability of the collector is not the stuff stacked, but that he can instantly go to and find anything in the collection that he wants. In the 1000s of items an epic collector has acquired, finding that one ring of invisibility needed, is no problem.

a man’s home is his collection - at higher levels the collector has arranged his collection so as to have one comfortaby sized “room” that he can sleep in, protected from the elements.

my stuff protects itself - Among other things, collectors, collect traps... lots of traps...

disguise self (as furniture)- was there always a banquet table here? Very good at hide in plain sight

bigger than life - character is counted as being (one) size category larger (?)

a man and his stuff are never parted - there is no force in the multiverse that has ever been able to separate a collector from his collection. It is theorized that doing so would have the same result as adding a portable hole to a handy haversack...

taking in tenants - at higher levels, animals may begin to live in the collection, although untrained, they are loyal to the collector...

slow and steady - bad speed, but never impeded by encumberance

Other Benefits and Disadvantages:
May never use a handy haversack or any other weight/space manipulating storage device - end of the world may ensue
Collection serves many purposes - home, shield (later on a tower shield?), armor (?), weapon (?), disguise...
Bad at jumping, climbing etc. (gravity is not your friend - unless you’re using it against your enemy)

Big questions:
What “stuff” does he start with? How does the collection grow to the levels it should without breaking the game/bank? How is it protected?
I didn’t see the collector as an overly offense-based character - meat shield/tank - in fact if the character collected a couple of wheels later on... tank would be an appropriate name...

I’m no good with balancing the numbers per level etc.
Is this idea even worth developing? Thoughts?

Thanks all in advance! I knew if anyone could make my mediocre idea work, the idea would come from these forums.

sigurd
2010-08-13, 01:37 PM
She seems like a fey or dark fey figure with an ability to make trash seem like treasure. Truthfully a class seems like overkill. Nothing she carries is truly useful but coveted by the foolish girl.

S

Debihuman
2010-08-13, 01:45 PM
Rather than simply giving her a ridiculously high Strength score, why not give her the ability to carry twice what her Strength score would normally allow as a Special Ability?

She can make junk appear to be one's favorite coveted items including creating a full illusion of one's favorite childhood memory. This memory can be disbelieved, but should be difficult.

I'd make her a Monstrous Humanoid.

Debby

Thomar_of_Uointer
2010-08-13, 05:26 PM
Okay, I'll take a stab at this.

First off, go with Ranger. You get an animal companion, a little magic, and you can do two-weapon fighting with thrown objects. Any objects. Maybe take Improvised Weapon Proficiency from Complete Warrior. Then you can beat the DR of fiends and werewolves with silverware and cast-iron frying pans.

Second, run a few homebrewed feats by your DM.

Pack Rat
Prerequisite: Str 13
Benefit: You may carry twice as much weight before suffering any penalties for light and medium loads.

Where Does He Keep It All?
Prerequisite: Quick Draw, Pack Rat
Benefit: All objects on your person are instantly accessible. You may retrieve objects from containers as a move action instead of a full-round action (but not as a free action due to Quick Draw.)

That's all I've got for now. A prestige class would probably fit this best, as it's a one-off, limited concept.

Mangles
2010-08-13, 07:26 PM
Here is what i have so far

Junker

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/fortey/junk.jpg

That's what you were looking for, wasn't it my dear? - Junk Pile Lady

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Trap Damage

1st|+0|+2|+0|+1|The Collection, Compressive Collection, Pack Rat |0

2nd|+1|+3|+0|+1|Trapped collection, Protective collection|1d4

3rd|+2|+3|+1|+2|Tucked away for safe keeping|1d4

4th|+3|+4|+1|+2|Gaulish Build, Trash Spells|2d4

5th|+3|+4|+1|+3|Familiar Item, Pack Rat|2d4

6th|+4|+5|+2|+3|Swarming companion (Rats)|3d4

7th|+5|+5|+2|+3|Junkyard Hermit|3d4

8th|+6/+1|+6|+2|+4| Improved Trapping, Rubbish Spells|4d4

9th|+6/+1|+6|+3|+4|Swarming companion (Dire Rats)|4d4

10th|+7/+2|+7|+3|+5|Poisoned traps, Pack Rat |5d4

11th|+8/+3|+7|+3|+5|Object from the past, Garbage Spells |5d4

12th|+9/+4|+8|+4|+6| Swarming companion (Fiendish Dire Rats) |6d4

13th|+9/+4|+8|+4|+6|Junkyard Citizen|6d4

14th|+10/+5|+9|+4|+6|Rending Trap, Junk Spells |7d4

15th|+11/+6/+1|+9|+5|+7|Pack Rat, Expert Trapper|7d4

16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+7|Junk spell mastery |8d4

17th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+8|Tower of trash |8d4

18th|+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+8|Lost in the past |9d4

19th|+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+8| Master Trapper|9d4

20th|+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+9|Junkyard King, Pack Rat |10d4

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d10
Starting Gold: 4d4 x 10gp

Class Skills: Appraise, Concentration, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Handle Animal, Open Lock, Profession, Search, Sleight Of Hand, Spellcraft, Use magic device
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armour Proficiency
Junker's are proficient with all simple weapons, plus a single martial weapon. They are also proficient with the armour and shield created by their Protective Collection ability.

Pack Rat (Ex): Beginning 1st level a Junker's maximum load is increased to 200% the usual weight. This increases by an additional 100% at level 5 and every 5 levels after.

The collection (Ex): A Junker has a collection of items that she carries on her back. This starts off as miscellaneous materials that can be accessed at any time. Anything with a cost value of less than 20gp/level may be pulled from the junk pile, but the cost in gold must be payed or item replaced into the collection within the next 3 rounds. A junker can also add any item she owns to the collection as a standard action.

Compressive Collection (Ex): Anything the Junker adds to the collection seems to shrink and bend to fit. The collection is always 10x5x5 feet in size as long as the junker can carry it. This size includes the junker.

Trapped Collection (Ex): The collection has traps scattered throughout its contents that can spring forth and deal damage. At level two the collection has a single trap in it, created from iron. If someone tries to steal from the collection they must first disable device (DC = 15 + Junker level) or be struck by the trap, dealing the trap damage listed in piercing and bludgeoning damage. The traps improve every 2 levels dealing an extra 1d4 damage. These traps can be augmented with magical abilities the same way weapons can and can also change material by paying for the difference in cost for the improvement as if they were a weapon.

The trap can also be set off as part of an attack action. This allows an additional attack to be made at the full base attack bonus, and have a x2 multiplier for critical hits. The traps do not get a bonus to damage from strength nor can they be used in conjunction with other combat feats.

Protective Collection (Ex): The Junker is surrounded by the hardiest pieces of her collection affording her some protection from damage. The collection is considered a piece of heavy armor granting an Armour Bonus of 5+1/2 Junker level to AC. This bonus can be augmented in the same way armor can. The armor imposes a max Dex of 1, a -6 to Armor Check Penalty and a 35% chance of arcane spell failure. The junker may choose to also create a heavy shield from the collection granting an additional Shield bonus of 1/2 Junker level to AC. This imposes an additional -1 to Armor Check Penalty and a further 5% chance of arcane spell failure.

Tucked away for safe keeping (Ex): The junker may draw anything from her collection as a swift action. She simply reaches in and the object appears in her hand.

Gaulish Build (Ex): The junker gains powerful build as a bonus feat.

Trash Spells (Su) The Junker has picked up arcane knowledge discarded by others. She knows and can cast three 0th level spells as a spell-like ability drawn from the Bard spell list once per day.

Familiar Item (Ex): A Junker is so familiar with her collection that she can device any item it contains. This functions as the warlock ability Deceive Item.

Swarming companion (Ex): The Junkers collection also attracts wild animals. The collection holds a Rat Swarm which acts to protect the Junker and her collection. If someone makes a melee attack against the Junker or her collection she can cause rats to swarm in the square they occupy. The rats can be commanded with a handle animal check using the same DC that it would take to teach the trick to an animal. Should the Junk Lady no longer threaten an enemy with her collection the Rats retreat back to their nest. The Junk Lady may only have a single swarm of Rats attacking at any one time. At 9th level the swarm becomes Dire Rats. At 12th they become Fiendish Dire Rats.

Junkyard Hermit (Ex): The Junkers collection hardens on the outside. This allows it to function as a house made from iron walls, containing a single room with a 20x20 length and breadth and 10 foot height. A Junkers collection can also no longer have items taken from it unless she wants it. The junker may choose to house a Jermlain (MM2). If the Junker chooses to house the Jermlain it becomes a cohort and may take class levels up to 2 levels lower than the Junker. Besides the standard Jermlain equipment, it also has a Dire Rat mount.

Improved Trapping (Ex): An additional trap is added to the Junker's collection. This allows the Junker to make a second attack during an attack action using this new trap. This new trap is also considered to be made of iron, but can also be enchanted or have its material changed. Each trap has a separate set of enchantments and material bonuses

Rubbish Spells (Su) The Junker has picked up arcane knowledge discarded by others. She knows and can cast three 1st level spells as a spell-like ability drawn from the Bard spell list once per day.

Poisoned traps (Ex) The traps a Junker employs can be poisoned with any injury based poison. The poison only needs to be purchased the once and added to the collection. If multiple poisons are added the Junker can change which poison is active as a full round action. The junker is immune to any poison stored in its collection.

Object from the past (Su): A Junker can draw an item out of her collection that was lost long ago. This is really an illusion created to distract a target. The target upon seeing the item must make a will save (DC 15 + 1/2 Junker level) or become fascinated and tries to take the object. If allowed to take the object the characters fascination affect continues until a successful saving throw. The object lasts for as long as the Junker maintains concentration + 1 minute.

Garbage Spells (Su) The Junker has picked up arcane knowledge discarded by others. She knows and can cast three 2nd level spells as a spell-like ability drawn from the Bard spell list once per day.

Junkyard Citizen (Ex): The Junkers collection improves its housing further. It now functions as a house made from mithril walls. It has 4 rooms each the same size as the previous house. The Junker may now have additional Jermlain followers. Treat this as the leadership feat where the Junkers leadership score is equal too his Junker level. If you have a Jermlain as a cohort, their mount may now be a Fiendish Dire Rat

Rending Trap (Ex) A Junker that hits with two trap attacks latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This automatically deals double the appropriate trap damage.

Junk Spells (Su) The Junker has picked up arcane knowledge discarded by others. She knows and can cast three 3rd level spells as a spell-like ability drawn from the Bard spell list once per day.

Expert Trapper (Ex) The Junker's tinkering allows more traps to be placed within the collection. They gain a third trap attack during an attack action, following the same rules for the previous traps.

Junk Spell Mastery The Junkers arcane knowledge expands as she finds more spells discarded. She know knows and can cast an additional spell as a spell like ability once per day.

Tower of trash: The junkers collection now houses a tower. From inside the house it appears as a circular based tower with a 15 foot diameter and 20 feet high. The tower allows for 5 followers to make ranged attacks from within the protection of the collection. The tower may only be occupied by tiny characters.

Lost in the past (Su): The Junker can show you the safety and warmth of times long gone. This functions like the Maze (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/maze.htm)spell except that a Junker may use her Object from the past, ability on a creature trapped by it while maintaining its effects. It lasts concentration + 5 minutes.

Master Trapper The Junker's has reached the pinnacle of collection trapping, allowing more traps to be placed within the collection. They gain a forth trap attack during an attack action, In addition, all the traps gain 5ft reach.

Junkyard King (Ex): The Junkers Collection reaches its pinnacle. It now contains twice as many rooms and second a tower. The collections shell also hardens and is considered to be made of Adamantine. The Junkers Traps and Armour are also considered to be made of Adamantine if it is beneficial.

EDIT: After watching this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPVp96jI4Aw), the object from the past and lost in the past abilities seemed thematically appropriate

still need some abilities to fill in the dead levels at 11, 15, 18, 19. Notice how they are all high end, I normally only do low level d&d.

devinkowalczyk
2010-08-13, 10:22 PM
I like the build and the idea, don't know how crazy it could be broken with all of 3.5.

Might I also suggest some sort of mind resistance to give up items or to release things. She had a hard time staying in the present (what with wanting to keep everything from the past), it seems that this could be reflected in a bonus, even if minor.

Mangles
2010-08-13, 11:53 PM
After you get the Junkyard Hermit ability, any item stored in your collection can't be stolen from you. Still need to work out skill points although Sleight of hand and UMD will definitely be in there

This class so far has some limited summon monsters, limited leadership and some limited at will spell like abilities. Although I'm unsure if i should up the Hitpoint, its armor score should be pretty fantastic too.

Main downside is no matter how much it can carry with the protective collection ability a character is always wearing heavy Armour hence lowering its move speed. So medium races loose 10 feet and dwarfs take no penalty. But those other races with 20 feet movement or less will have a hard time getting around

Lev
2010-08-14, 01:57 AM
Pack Rat (EX): Beginning 1st level a Junker can carry 200% the usual weight. This increases by an additional 100% at level 5 and every 5 levels after
Specifically this should be:
Beginning 1st level a Junker's maximum load increases by 200% the usual weight. This increases by an additional 100% at level 5 and every 5 levels after.

Junkers should also probably have to have a urban communing function like druids-- that way you get an automatic dodge of "where the frack did you find that?" comments from the party.

Well, it could be a positive, you could call it Salvage-- as long as you spend at least an hour in a reasonably large and at least minimally wasteful urban environment you gain ____ money worth of items (probably rusted and ruined items like rusted metal spoons, broken shovel heads, ect) and then add that amount of money to your junk pool. Whenever you want you can pull out an item as long as it's less valuable than your junk pool cost and add it to your inventory, have the junk pool have a small capacity that slowly raises in cap as you adventure so you don't just save up 5000g in junk pool and never use it, then pull out diamonds when your ally goes down.
I'm talking more like low quality adventuring gear, stuff like that.

Feel free to play around with this idea, it's nowhere near perfect!

Also, how does a junker interact with items like handy haversack and bag of holding? I guess you could make her into a bag of holding (or rather old bag of holding! oohoohoohoo!) but yeah, I guess you could have one around your neck and the rest on your back?

Mangles
2010-08-14, 02:55 AM
I changed the load description a bit, but your description increases it to 300% where as i wanted it to be an additional 100% at each level culminating at an additional 500% on top of the norm.

I dont understand what you mean about urban communing, are you talking about the fluff for the class or an ability i should add too it

As written the best item a character can pull out of the collection without putting it in there first is an item worth 200gp or less at level 20. This means they can grab a cure light wounds or similar potion without pre buying it but its hardly game breaking. What it does allow at lower levels is the ability to grab a niche item out of their hat when they need it. Compare that to shapesand, which is an item not an ability that can be any item of a size and you don't have to pay for it, it seems even less broken.

In regards to haversacks and other portable bags, I have no problem with them at all being part of the collection or carried outside it. It will negate the ability to draw something as a swift action which is the main benefit of not doing it.

Ashtagon
2010-08-14, 04:46 AM
Perhaps the junk pool could be treated as having both a total gp value, and a maximum value per item? Then, any time the character pulls an item out of his junk pool, the gp value is taken out of the pool's remaining value, and items can only be taken out if they are equal or less in value than the maximum value per item. I'd suggest a maximum value per item of (5 x class level x character level), and multiply that by character level to get the maximum total value.

Add to that an effect similar to a bag of holding to stow away specific items they actually found.

Lev
2010-08-14, 05:12 AM
Perhaps the junk pool could be treated as having both a total gp value, and a maximum value per item? Then, any time the character pulls an item out of his junk pool, the gp value is taken out of the pool's remaining value, and items can only be taken out if they are equal or less in value than the maximum value per item. I'd suggest a maximum value per item of (5 x class level x character level), and multiply that by character level to get the maximum total value.

Add to that an effect similar to a bag of holding to stow away specific items they actually found.
Yeah the weight of the junk pool is the only thing screwing up my conceptualizing of it really, I mean it would have to weight "aprox" this amount for this amount of junk pool, ect-- so maybe something like
Junk pool
###-####money = X weight
####-##### = Y weight
#####-###### = Z weight
and so on, so maybe a smaller junk pool would equal a smaller weight but make it vague?

I changed the load description a bit, but your description increases it to 300% where as i wanted it to be an additional 100% at each level culminating at an additional 500% on top of the norm.
Well the main point of the correction was to establish that it raises the maximum load's capacity, not doubling a 20 str level 1 halforc junker's light load to 266lbs, especially when that half orc could have +10base speed from barbarian, run feat and 266lbs of caltrops... WAY too easy to dip.

I dont understand what you mean about urban communing, are you talking about the fluff for the class or an ability i should add too it
Well, would the roleplaying experience be entirely around junk collecting? Or should that be handled in the time where the clerics, druids, and wizards are all off communing/preparing spells?
Thing is, the junker is at home in junk, so where is there junk? Dungeons are a good place but you might not see one for months, most of the characters enter the palace-- time to go spend some quality "you" time in the back-alleys!

As a free-cycler I do know a tad about playing a junker, and you need to really surf the back alleys to find the good stuff! ((I've got labyrinth VHS sitting beside me too, for added irony!))

As written the best item a character can pull out of the collection without putting it in there first is an item worth 200gp or less at level 20. This means they can grab a cure light wounds or similar potion without pre buying it but its hardly game breaking. What it does allow at lower levels is the ability to grab a niche item out of their hat when they need it. Compare that to shapesand, which is an item not an ability that can be any item of a size and you don't have to pay for it, it seems even less broken.
Maybe it can't be fragile or easily scuffed? The collection compresses and it's dirty and junky so glass vials and containers would break, lids might pop off, cans might get crushed? Magic items are a whole other ballgame, I mean things like bowstrings, adventuring gear, trinkets, things that are generally useful or interesting... I would define magic items as not being able to be added to your junk pool, but junk you pull COULD be magical without you knowing it-- (up to the DM) but generally if you find a magic item you would just put it into your "inventory" instead of your "junk pool".
Same with precious items, even 50gp worth of diamonds could be considered valuable, when I hear junk I think copper to silver pieces! Remember that as poor as the people in cities are, these are the things even THEY don't want... you aren't going to find a potion of cure light wounds on the top of a rag pile, you might find a spoiled potion though, you may not find a full kit of one thing or another but you may find odd ends and bits and use a Craft [Junk] check to repair some of it into a low quality disguise kit or climbers kit.. though the tools may be dubious at best!

Mangles
2010-08-14, 09:10 AM
I don't see the reason to create a junk pool at all, nor do I see a reason to restrict what item a Junker can pull out of his collection at any time. A spell caster doesn't need to buy specific spell components for the spell component pouch, they just pay the gold when they cast the spell, and this 1st level ability is much less potent than any spell.

On top of that any item worth 200gp or less(which is only at level 20, it is 10gp items only at level 1), could be purchased by a first level character anyway (depending on class of course). By the stage you can get an item worth even 100gp the value of this feature has diminished to be a useful minor boost mainly for use in out of combat situations as most first level abilities should unless they have progress.

I included this ability for completeness and a bit off an unusual ability, but the Junk Pool system seems to be making it into an easy to use ability into an unnecessarily complex system similar to the one the Artificer class is built around. If you want to be an Artificer choose that as a class.

@ Ashton: The junker can already store items away, although they do not loose weight they do change size, and with the extreme carry capacity and drawing any item as a swift action it becomes a null point to need any haversacks.

As a quick Q. Would anyone really bother to dip into a class just to get double carry capacity, even if it affected light and medium loads. A 1st level barbarian who gained this ability would be able to waste a lot of money running away from monsters and throwing down caltrops behind him instead of getting better combat abilities to beat it down with a sword.

Lev
2010-08-14, 03:28 PM
I don't see the reason to create a junk pool at all, nor do I see a reason to restrict what item a Junker can pull out of his collection at any time. A spell caster doesn't need to buy specific spell components for the spell component pouch, they just pay the gold when they cast the spell, and this 1st level ability is much less potent than any spell.
Well first off, that's a house option, and second they can only pull otherwise useless objects. Casters are usually restricted by the DM to what exactly they have in their component pouches in weight, volume and price.

On top of that any item worth 200gp or less(which is only at level 20, it is 10gp items only at level 1), could be purchased by a first level character anyway (depending on class of course). By the stage you can get an item worth even 100gp the value of this feature has diminished to be a useful minor boost mainly for use in out of combat situations as most first level abilities should unless they have progress.
Depends if your campaign is more like DBZ than Tomb of Horrors :smallsmile: because I know I really cherished having that 10' pole... I strapped ferrets to it and it was EXTREMELY useful.
Well you don't really understand that the junk pool is meant mainly for junk, even if it DOES have a fixed or progressive weight that doesn't mean your normal inventory isn't included within the junk pile. You could have all the special items you want, but until the DM says otherwise what you pull from your junk pile would be junk, same as the DM would insist that if you could find in a dungeon any junk item just laying around randomly that you wanted that it wouldn't have special powers unless he wanted it to, same as he has control over any other item in the dungeon.

As a quick Q. Would anyone really bother to dip into a class just to get double carry capacity, even if it affected light and medium loads. A 1st level barbarian who gained this ability would be able to waste a lot of money running away from monsters and throwing down caltrops behind him instead of getting better combat abilities to beat it down with a sword.
This build has 3,000lbs drag capacity at level 1 18 str, 4,000lbs if a halforc.
A dwarf with 18 str can run 80 squares/round with 600lbs on his back-- in a 4 person group he could carry all his allies and their gear at normal speed.
Ontop of that you can pull anything under 10gp out of thin air? Hell yes I'd dip.

Ashtagon
2010-08-14, 04:23 PM
This build has 3,000lbs drag capacity at level 1 18 str, 4,000lbs if a halforc.
A dwarf with 18 str can run 80 squares/round with 600lbs on his back-- in a 4 person group he could carry all his allies and their gear at normal speed.
Ontop of that you can pull anything under 10gp out of thin air? Hell yes I'd dip.

Where did you get that speed from? A dwarf has a base speed of 20 feet (4 squares). With light/no encumbrance, he can run at 4x that speed, 16 squares per round. Assuming he has the Run feat, that rises to 20 squares. That's still quite a bit short of 80.

I see good features for increasing your encumbrance limit in this class, but not for increasing the actual movement rate.

Mangles
2010-08-14, 11:27 PM
Added in some more abilities. We will have to differ in opinion on the junk pool though. I feel that it needlessly complicates for an ability that isn't overly powerful.

Was thinking of allowing the towers where you can have tiny creatures attacking from be able to hold a Ballista from the stonghold builders guild instead. Im not sold on it yet but if someone can make it work than i might be.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-14, 11:45 PM
Labyrinth was such a brilliant, timeless movie I wanted to help.
I think a class is overkill, perhaps just a monster or a 3-level PrC.

Mangles
2010-08-15, 12:20 AM
I have no doubt this is probably overkill. But its fun. If you just wanted the junk lady picking a few of the abilities would be fine. Keep the weight, and collection and the spell like abilities and ditch the traps, companions and house completely.

Lev
2010-08-15, 01:00 AM
Where did you get that speed from? A dwarf has a base speed of 20 feet (4 squares). With light/no encumbrance, he can run at 4x that speed, 16 squares per round. Assuming he has the Run feat, that rises to 20 squares. That's still quite a bit short of 80.

I see good features for increasing your encumbrance limit in this class, but not for increasing the actual movement rate.
My bad, I was thinking 20'x4(run) without the run feat.

EasilyAmused
2010-08-16, 09:53 AM
Mangles, you are my hero.

This was exactly what I had stuck in my head - this is awesome. Thanks so much. After running this by the DM, he's pondering a not-so-random encounter with the fireys.

I'm still unsure as to how the Junk Inventory will work out, so I should be running a simple solo with the DM as a test to see which way the wind blows.

I'd be happy to let anyone interested know how it works out.

I agree that this is definitely a dippable class - it may well become a necessary option in my group from now on.

Thanks again, all - I can't tell you how much this has helped!