PDA

View Full Version : 2 New Dragon Species (Metal and Wood)

ExtravagantEvil
2010-08-13, 02:02 PM
Ok, for a campaign setting of mine, I'm trying to make dragons elementally focused, which is mildly done in the books already, but I'm including Metal and Wood as elements, I do not know what abilities I should give dragons concerned with those Two elements.
A bit of fluff that is mildly important:
Metal Dragons: True Neutral most of the time, lazy, ust want to eat veins of metal, sleep on treasure.
Wood Dragons: They mildly just travel through the tree branches of the elemental plane of wood, hunting for food, and so on. Thinking of something to do with tree sap.
Also: They both live on the planes of Wood & Metal respectively.

Analytica
2010-08-13, 07:08 PM
It may not be what you are looking for, but there are stats for metal dragons already, in the SRD:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm

The metallic dragons are brass, bronze, copper, gold, and silver; they are all good, usually noble, and highly respected by the wise.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-13, 07:26 PM
dont forget the mercury dragons to include on the metallic list

Analytica
2010-08-13, 08:57 PM
Steel and Mercury dragons from Dragons of Faerun, right? There were also Ferrous (Iron) dragons somewhere...

Andion Isurand
2010-08-13, 09:08 PM
steel is a ferrous metal... and they are LN dragons

but yeah, dragon magazine did a bit on the lawful ferrous dragons

Iron, Tungsten, Cobalt, Chromium and Nickel

hamishspence
2010-08-14, 04:44 AM
Dragon 321 had the Adamantine Dragon (which is actually a celestial dragon).

4E has it's own Iron, Cobalt, and Adamantine Dragons, as well as some new ones- Orium, Mithril.

DracoDei
2010-08-14, 11:54 AM
For these purposes, metallic is very much NOT the same as metal. The best example I can think of is that as a pheonix is to a fire elemental, so would a metallic dragon be to metal dragon.

Wall of Iron is a shoe-in for an SLA for a metal dragon. Similarly for Plant Growth, Entangle, and probably Animate Plants... actually there were some feats in Masters of the Wild (which is 3.0... dunno where it would have ended up in 3.5) that let druids turn plant creatures, with the second changing that to rebuke... you might give them that ability too (don't bother with the feats themselves, just give them the ability to first turn, then at an older age category rebuke plant type creatures.).

IcarusWings
2010-08-14, 12:08 PM
I always thought metallic dagon was just the colour, so a silver dragon would be referring to the colour silver, not the element silver. Calling a metallic dragon a metal dragon, would be the same as calling a blue dragon a being made of the colour blue, which is of course impossible as it is a colour, just as a dragon made of the colour silver would be impossible, meaning a metallic dragon is not a metal dragon.

/long boring rant filled with wholes

hamishspence
2010-08-14, 12:16 PM
In 4E, the scales of Metallic dragons contain large amounts of the relevant metal (possibly obtained via eating lots of it.

So a gold dragon has scales with a high gold content, a silver dragon scales with a high silver content, and so on.

IcarusWings
2010-08-14, 12:25 PM
don't know 4E sorry.

Zaydos
2010-08-14, 12:36 PM
In Dragonlance the metallic dragons were originally made of metal as were the chromatic dragons which were made of a base metal and became corrupted by Takhasis and their new forms. Both were now flesh, though (as was typical pre 4e).

Rust dragons had some elemental metal connections. Lawful Evil/Lawful Neutral; fairly stupid, rather lazy and just want to sit on hordes and eat veins of metal ore (Dragon #300 or Draconomicon); although in a pinch they could create food for themselves with the wall of iron spell. They got their name from their rust breath that they used to dissolve metals and make them better eating. Those and the ferrous dragons from Dragon Magazine are the closest to "metal" dragons D&D has in 3.X; there was also steel (or Greyhawk) dragons in another dragon magazine but those have no connection to metal at all (do make excellent casters).

DracoDei's advice is good for designing your own. Dragons aren't that hard to make, although the 12 age categories are intimidating there's a basic formula for it (+3 HD/age category, once casting is achieved +2 CL per age category occasionally a dragon gets +3 CL at Great Wyrm, and breath weapon is either 1d6 or 2dX per age category). Although not all dragons have casting (planar dragons). I'll keep an eye on this thread, though, for when the dragons are made. When I make dragons I look through and choose one I want it to be roughly as powerful as and look at that dragon's progression of abilities.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-08-14, 04:13 PM
Metal dragons....makes me think of this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMoAc-fBbi4).