PDA

View Full Version : Internet Service Provider for New York City

Trobby
2010-08-13, 02:58 PM
Hey people of the playground. My sister is trying to find a service provider for her internet in New York City, and I was wondering if any of you had a suggestion for one that was:

-Reliable
-Pretty cheap
-Available as wireless
-Both Mac and Microsoft systems (System count ~3 or 4.)

Any suggestions?

Oh, and for internet familiarity...well, not totally clueless, but not experts either.

Edit: Area code 718, Queens.

thubby
2010-08-14, 12:57 AM
optimum online has been my provider for ages. always snappy, decent customer service, and relatively cheap if you get their cable/phone package.

Mando Knight
2010-08-17, 01:56 AM
-Available as wireless
-Both Mac and Microsoft systems (System count ~3 or 4.)

These two are DIY type things, unless you use a cell phone carrier's 3 or 4G network with one of their special adapter cards.

An ISP isn't OS-sensitive in and of itself, it's just a means of data transmission, which has been somewhat standardized so you can use any computer you want with it so long as you can hook up to it. Also, in order to get wireless internet, you usually have to get a wired internet service and plug in your own wireless router. Some companies might provide the router themselves with the right package, and some living accommodations may include internet service themselves, generally if they already offer cable pre-installed.