PDA

View Full Version : What would Saruman do in Ferelden?

ArlEammon
2010-08-13, 04:28 PM
What would happen if Saruman, the White from Lord of the Rings, found himself in Ferelden after his death, with his staff and all powers intact? Let's say that Saruman begins near Lake Calenhad. Would he eventually try to defeat Ferelden and rule it?

I'm curious, because Saruman's magic seems more low key than Ferelden blasting, yet I think Middle Earth magic is in some ways superior to Dragon Age magic.

VanBuren
2010-08-13, 07:41 PM
He'd get possessed by a pride demon, and the Warden would get to fight something that looked like Uldred again. And that would be awesome.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-13, 09:51 PM
I thought Saruman was an Istari like Gandalf....can what amounts to a demigod even be possessed by a demon? Corrupted and suborned by a bigger, meaner demigod sure, but simply taken over?

ArlEammon
2010-08-13, 10:05 PM
I thought Saruman was an Istari like Gandalf....can what amounts to a demigod even be possessed by a demon? Corrupted and suborned by a bigger, meaner demigod sure, but simply taken over?

I don't think so.

Kaez
2010-08-13, 10:15 PM
Anyone that was a Wizard or Mage in Lotr, to my understanding, were Demigods. Some stronger, some weaker. That being said, It would be hard to say "Hey, I own you now" to a demigod. I would imagine the demon would be smacked down before he got a chance.

Zevox
2010-08-13, 10:28 PM
Anyone that was a Wizard or Mage in Lotr, to my understanding, were Demigods. Some stronger, some weaker. That being said, It would be hard to say "Hey, I own you now" to a demigod. I would imagine the demon would be smacked down before he got a chance.
Basically. There were five Istari, commonly called wizards, all of whom were Maiar (lesser gods) sent to Middle Earth by the Valar (12 great gods) during the third age to oppose Sauron (who was a Maia himself, incidentally). They were, however, confined to human forms, and could not use the full extent of their powers - at least partially due to orders from the Valar, probably also due to limitations of their human forms.

There is mention of some humans acquiring magic abilities - some of the Nine who became the Ringwraiths supposedly were sorcerers, for instance - but they're side-notes in codices and unfinished material, and none of the wizards you meet in LotR or any of Tolkien's other finished material fall into that category.

I guess the big question then is whether Saruman, having arrived in a new world, could cast off his human body and use his full abilities again, now that he is beyond the reach of the Valar. If he can... yeah, you've just let a god go loose in a new world that doesn't appear to have any of those, or at least none that actually do anything. If he can't, well, it's too unclear what the extent of his powers in his human shell were to really say.

Zevox

warty goblin
2010-08-14, 12:29 AM
He does extremely well. Ferelden is a Bioware RPG world, which means that you can get powerful people to do crazy stuff for you by talking to them. Saruman talks rings around pretty much any RPG protagonist ever written, and that's without the very strong implication in the books that his mere voice makes the listener want to obey Saruman's will.

Jeivar
2010-08-14, 02:21 AM
He does extremely well. Ferelden is a Bioware RPG world, which means that you can get powerful people to do crazy stuff for you by talking to them. Saruman talks rings around pretty much any RPG protagonist ever written, and that's without the very strong implication in the books that his mere voice makes the listener want to obey Saruman's will.

This is an excellent point. Saruman has more than just magical power on his side. He could rise to power purely through corruption and charisma.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-08-19, 11:39 AM
That's how he took over the Shire. Granted he was aiming pretty low, but who needs magic when all you really need is good people skills?