PDA

View Full Version : The Archivist and progression

Paganboy28
2010-08-13, 04:57 PM
Is the archivist one of those rare classes where its not really worth going out into a PrC?

Is just progressing in Archivist as good as other PrC's or if not what PrC's would you suggest?

Douglas
2010-08-13, 05:14 PM
There are a few dips that are definitely worth it. Sacred Exorcist to get Turn Undead, for example. That particular one is usually paired with Divine feats, particularly Divine Metamagic. Contemplative for a domain is also nice. Both of those give the main benefit at level 1 of the class, though, so a 1 level dip is all you really need.

TooManyBadgers
2010-08-13, 05:35 PM
Archivist is a pretty slick deal until level 11, but it doesn't really have anything interesting past that point. Most full-casting PrC's would still be good deals for the remaining 9 levels; things like Loremaster, Divine Oracle, Paragnostic Apostle, Sacred Exorcist, Thaumaturgist, Hexer, Church Inquisitor, Contemplative, Dweomerkeeper, Seeker of the Misty Isle, Sentinel of Bear-face, &c.

Thurbane
2010-08-13, 05:41 PM
After level 14, you get 2 more uses of dark knowledge/day, 1x lore mastery and a bonus feat. You can probably PrC out those last 5 or 6 levels without losing out on much.

I personally think the Paragnostic Apostle is a neat little 5 level PrC that meshes well with the Archivists abilities - maybe Archivist 7/Sacred Exorcist 1/Archivist 8-14/Paragnostic Apostle 5?

Paganboy28
2010-08-13, 06:56 PM
The Paragon Apostle sounds interesting and I agree it fits the Archivist spiel. Also fits my character's concept.

Which "Knowledge is Power" would you suggest? I'm a gestalt Generalist Wizard/Archivist.

Thurbane
2010-08-14, 04:12 AM
I would say the 5 most useful are:

Call of Worlds (Summoned creatures get fast healing)
Manifest Ethos (1/2 energy damage is divine energy vs creatures of 1 opposed alignment)
Mind Over Matter (+2 AC bonus to all spells that provide an armor bonus, among other things)
Penetrating insight (+1 bonus to overcome SR and to Dispel checks)
Spatial Awareness (+1 CL with teleportation spells, and +10 movement to any spell that grant or increase movement - meaning Longstrider becomes a 1 hr/level spell that increases your movement by 20)

...of course, depending exactly what you want to do with your character, there may be other better suited. A lot of the others are simply +1 CL with a specific type of spells, though.