PDA

View Full Version : Bombini (Race, 3.5) [PEACH]

Nada Rakshasa
2010-08-13, 05:32 PM
I was struck by the impulse to build a race of semi-humanoid bees. If I were feeling more involved I'd build a hierarchy for them (Worker/Drone/Queen). For now, I've decided that the Worker Bombini is the most appropriate for a low ECL "player race".

I envision them being small-size, but that's not pivotal to the concept. It's been brought to my attention that their "Extra Encumbrance" ability is kind of ... iffy, although I've tried to balance that...

BOMBINI

The bombini are a race of insectile monstrous humanoids who closely resemble bumblebees. They are prone to be lawful, living very structured lives in their hives. Giants often enslave/protect hives of bombini in exchange for their delicious honey. Their language is a combination of the verbal, gestures (hands and wings), and subtle pheromones. On occasion a drone or worker may develop a wanderlust that drives them to leave their home and become adventurers.

BOMBINI RACIAL TRAITS

-2 Intelligence, +4 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
Small: As a Small creature, a Bombini gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use. However, see the Extra Encumbrance ability description below for more details.
Speed: Bombini have a base land speed is 20 feet. Bombini have a fly speed of 40 feet (poor).
When in flight, bombini gain a -4 penalty on Move Silently checks.
Extra Encumbrance: A bombini’s lifting and carrying limits are as those of a Medium character. They retain their full speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
Darkvision: Bombini can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and bombini can function just fine with no light at all.
Bonuses: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects)..
Skills: +2 racial bonus on Spot checks. +4 racial bonus on Survival checks to orient themselves.
Natural Weapons (Ex): Bombinis possess a natural sting attack that inflicts 1d3 points of damage on a hit. This is a primary attack, or a secondary attack if the bombini wields a manufactured weapon.
Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC (10 + 1/2 Hit Dice + Constitution modifier), initial and secondary damage 1d4 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.
Insect Body: The bombini’s insectile body makes it unsuited to use many tools and magic items designed for humanoids. In any case, the bombini must purchase custom-made armor. This armor costs the same price as if the bombi had to purchase armor one size larger than normal.
Automatic Languages: Bombini and Common. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.
Favored Class: ?