PDA

View Full Version : Good builds for a psionic character?

pargbonecrusher
2010-08-13, 09:51 PM
So here's the situation,

I am in an Eberron campaign, and I have decided that I would play a Half-Giant Divine Mind. It's really a fighter, without the feats but with some psychic powers (think of a sane version of Miko:miko:, but big and with a large Greatsword).

My GM and I have planned a character build out to the eighth level, plus or minus a few things, and I was wondering what items/builds are good for that class/race?

Keep in mind that the GM has allowed mini-adventures for the players to keep the story interesting, and mine might consist of going on a quest to find something to help me out with my AC or HP.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-13, 09:59 PM
So here's the situation,

I am in an Eberron campaign, and I have decided that I would play a Half-Giant Divine Mind. It's really a fighter, without the feats but with some psychic powers (think of a sane version of Miko:miko:, but big and with a large Greatsword).

My GM and I have planned a character build out to the eighth level, plus or minus a few things, and I was wondering what items/builds are good for that class/race?

Keep in mind that the GM has allowed mini-adventures for the players to keep the story interesting, and mine might consist of going on a quest to find something to help me out with my AC or HP.

Scratch Divine Mind. Be a psychic warrior instead, who happens to be a fighter, with all the powers AND a bunch of feats anyway.
Key powers:
Vigor
Share Pain (needs a feat)
Hustle
Concealing Amorpha(Greater)
Freedom of Movement
Energy Adaptation (resist energy that scales and protects against ALL types at once :O)
Mind Blank
Dispelling Buffer.

There will be others based on your style. Since you say it's a 2h, get Expansion (yay enlarge person but better), and if you want more attacks, Bite of the Wolf.

pargbonecrusher
2010-08-13, 10:31 PM
I am already effectively fourth level because we started at first level. I know that there is a one level requirement on the Half-Giant, but we found a build around that. I am already a third level divine mind and I like that class.

Urpriest
2010-08-13, 10:34 PM
If you want the Divine flavor, Ardent is also better than Divine Mind, even for fighter-types. Divine Mind is really quite weak, and its auras don't make up for its lackluster power selection.

Edit: Well since the game has already started, that limits your options in that regard. Just be aware that Divine Mind's higher level abilities aren't all that great and are fine to sacrifice for cool prestige classes.

TooManyBadgers
2010-08-14, 02:18 PM
I don't know what your stats look like, but because you're going Divine Mind, I'm going to assume you have high Str/Con/Wis/Cha and treat your feats/skills as a blank slate [there's always PHB2 retraining, right?].

CLASSES:
Your best bet is probably going to be heading into Warmind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warMind.htm) (also in Expanded Psionics) as early as possible. It will accelerate your power acquisition, boost BA and give a handful of useful abilities.

From there, you might consider multiclassing into Sanctified Mind from Lords of Madness -- its fluff is pretty much identical to Divine Mind's (albeit with a special distaste for Aberrations) and it gives quite a few handy abilities -- ignoring stun/daze effects, spending psionic focus for Wisdom-based smites when PP is low, some grapple bonuses, improved BA/skills and a couple other things I can't recall. Entrance is easy if you can use Complete Scoundrel's special locations for the Iron Will prerequisite.

If you can use the 3rd party supplement Hyperconscious (written by one of the guys that worked on the Expanded Psionics handbook who was dissatisfied with Complete Psionic), the Ghostbreaker class both improves a psionic class's melee abilities and is probably the best Turn Undead-based psionic class around [yea; I know it's the only one].

FEATS:
You can use Complete Champion's domain feats to put your Turn Undead to use. Law Devotion gives pretty significant attack/AC bonuses and sounds perfect for a Miko-esque character.

Link Power (CPsionic) is almost required for most psionic gishes -- it really frees up in-combat actions, allowing you to buff quickly and get into the fighting.

You'll need Practiced Manifester (CPsionic) to keep your ML up for durations and against dispels. It also arguably increases ability score-based PP gains.

For a melee character using a two-handed weapon, Power Attack is required. It is simply one of the best damage-generators, given the ease of boosting attack rolls. This feat can be further improved by Knockback (Races of Stone; a feat that allows you to automatically bull rush targets of your power attacks) and/or Shock Trooper (Complete Warrior; a feat that allows you to keep your attack rolls boosted while Power attacking and which makes bull rushes considerably more useful).

Divine Might from Complete Warrior allows you to add Charisma to damage for a round, in exchange for a Turn Undead attempt. If you have high charisma and can afford Nightsticks (see below), it can be worthwhile.

EQUIPMENT:
Beside basic +Str/+Con/+Wis/+Cha/+save/+AC gear--

A Torc of Power Preservation is a must for most Psionic characters. The version in the Expanded Psionics Handbook is the best, but is fairly expensive. The Magic Item Compendium has a revision that's still probably worth your gp.

Belts of Battle from the Magic Item Compendium are always worthwhile. Always.

The Dungeon Master's Guide 2 has the Sudden Stunning weapon enhancement. It's very cheap (+2k gp to the weapon cost) and you have a high Charisma, it's one of the most powerful enhancements available.

Libris Mortis has a Rod called a Nightstick. They affordably increase your Turn Undead uses per day. If you use Divine feats, Domain feats or Turn Undead with any sort of regularity, you'll want to grab a few of these.

See if you can give the party Wizard [if you have one] a Pearls of Power III in exchange for a daily dose of Greater Magic Weapon. That's usually cheaper than buying level-appropriate weapon enhancements.

Skin of the Proteus (Expanded Psionic), Boots of Speed, Wings of Flying, etc. should be just as useful to you as they are to any other melee character.