PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Knight Class: Rules Question

W3bDragon
2010-08-13, 10:53 PM
I would've posted this in the simple Q&A, but I'm looking for RAI as well as RAW answers.

The Knight class gets the ability Bulwark of Defense. It says that an opponent that starts its turn in the Knight's threatened squares treats all squares the knight threatens as difficult terrain.

Now I can understand how that would mean that opponents can't take 5-ft steps around a Knight, say to try to flank him. However, since the blanket statement "difficult terrain" was mentioned, that means that opponents can't even 5-ft step AWAY from the knight, because although his destination square is not difficult terrain, his current one is.

This makes no sense to me. Why can't the opponent take a 5-ft step, trigger an AoO, then carry on taking a full-round action? I can understand not being able to take 5-ft steps in difficult terrain because it requires focus and careful movement. I also understand how you couldn't take a 5-ft step around the Knight, because he's always causing adjacent enemies to focus and move carefully lest they take a sword or shield to the face. But even when moving away?

This came up when I was ruling that if the next square you're entering isn't difficult terrain, then you can 5-ft step into it, even if your current square is difficult terrain. The PC knight in question has just clarified to me that I was doing it wrong.

It just seemed to me that when I was doing it wrong, allowing people to 5-ft step away, it made much more sense than it does now.

Did I misinterpret something? What would be your RAW/RAI ruling?

Note 1: For the time being, I'm ruling that people can't 5-ft step away from him.

Note 2: I'm not looking at this from the overall balance of the class, just at this single ability.

Starbuck_II
2010-08-13, 11:05 PM
Why can't you 5 foot step away?
SRD says:

Difficult Terrain
Difficult terrain hampers movement. Each square of difficult terrain counts as 2 squares of movement. (Each diagonal move into a difficult terrain square counts as 3 squares.) You can’t run or charge across difficult terrain.

If you occupy squares with different kinds of terrain, you can move only as fast as the most difficult terrain you occupy will allow.

Flying and incorporeal creatures are not hampered by difficult terrain.

Oh, that line: If you occupy squares with different kinds of terrain, you can move only as fast as the most difficult terrain you occupy will allow.

Is that the issue?

Also:

Minimum Movement
Despite penalties to movement, you can take a full-round action to move 5 feet (1 square) in any direction, even diagonally. (This rule doesn’t allow you to move through impassable terrain or to move when all movement is prohibited.) Such movement provokes attacks of opportunity as normal (despite the distance covered, this move isn’t a 5-foot step).

You can 5 ft step diagonally away as a full rd action (both standard + move together).

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-13, 11:10 PM
Yes, It's confusing, but combined with the Mage Slayer feat, they can actually make decent Caster-Killers if you actually get them near.

Wonton
2010-08-13, 11:20 PM
Here's a RAW answer, I'm pretty sure:

When movement is hampered, each square moved into usually counts as two squares, effectively reducing the distance that a character can cover in a move.

So, during normal movement, you pay the movement cost when you enter a square. Meaning that moving out of difficult terrain only costs one square of movement (the picture on page 148 of the PHB makes this completely clear).

Next, the 5-ft step rules:

You can only take a 5-foot step if your movement isn’t hampered by difficult terrain or darkness.

If you're on the edge of difficult terrain, trying to move out, your movement isn't hampered at all (because the movement cost remains the same), so it follows that you can 5-ft step out of difficult terrain.

W3bDragon
2010-08-13, 11:32 PM
Oh, that line: If you occupy squares with different kinds of terrain, you can move only as fast as the most difficult terrain you occupy will allow.

Is that the issue?

Yeah, that's what the players showed me as proof that opponents couldn't 5-ft step away.

(the picture on page 148 of the PHB makes this completely clear).

Perfect! That does actually make it quite clear. DrWonton proves that 3.5 does make sense from time to time :smallwink:

So unless someone thinks this can be disputed, that's how I'll rule it.

Thanks!

Draz74
2010-08-13, 11:39 PM
Perfect! That does actually make it quite clear. DrWonton proves that 3.5 does make sense from time to time :smallwink:

Until the Knight gets a reach weapon. :smallwink:

Wonton
2010-08-13, 11:47 PM
If you occupy squares with different kinds of terrain, you can move only as fast as the most difficult terrain you occupy will allow.

I think people misinterpreted what that line means... it's referring to creatures that take up multiple squares (Large and up). Meaning if say, a Troll (which takes up 4 squares) is about to move such that one square of its area will fall into difficult terrain, that movement will cost double (even if 3/4 squares might not be in difficult terrain).

W3bDragon
2010-08-13, 11:57 PM
I think people misinterpreted what that line means... it's referring to creatures that take up multiple squares (Large and up). Meaning if say, a Troll (which takes up 4 squares) is about to move such that one square of its area will fall into difficult terrain, that movement will cost double (even if 3/4 squares might not be in difficult terrain).

Ahh, that makes sense now. Cheers!

Morph Bark
2010-08-14, 04:17 AM
Until the Knight gets a reach weapon. :smallwink:

Knights with Spiked Chain and Knockback are ouchy. :smalleek: