PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Wilder Shaper

OneShotandGo
2010-08-14, 12:47 AM
After being out of the game for a while I'll be going through a one-shot in eleven hours with a level 8 character in Generic Setting X. Consider all books to be fair game but no online content or magazines. I'm also going to conveniently ignore the nerfs in CP.

My thought was to make a wilder who takes Expanded Knowledge (Astral Construct), then surge my way into uber constructs.

Is this a viable strategy? Like I said, it's been a while since I've played, so I don't really know what to do.

Exp. Know (Astral Construct), Exp. Know (Psionic repair damage), Feat: Boost Construct, and that's all I got.

Race, feats, equipment? I would love some help, even if it is just to tell me I'm going about it wrong.

Zaq
2010-08-14, 12:57 AM
That's pretty much how it works. You've got the basics. Hell, in a one-shot, you won't even really regret your lack of versatility all that much.

Other good options for a Wilder include the good old-fashioned Vigor/Share Pain/Psicrystal trick, Dimension Door (doesn't benefit much from surging, but it's just that good), Crystal Shard or Energy Ray for those times when you don't want to wait to summon something to smack things for you, and so on. They make very capable gishes if you poach things from the PsyWar list (Claws of the Beast, surged to scary-high levels, can be a lot of fun...), too.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-14, 03:43 AM
Psion is better, for many reasons: Personal Construct (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) makes it a swift action instead of a 1 round manifesting time. Overchannel with a Torc of Power Preservation (XPH version) gets the same level of Astral Construct that a Wilder of this level can make. Psicrystal Affinity + Share Pain + Vigor shared with it makes your character nigh-unkillable, and remember the psicrystal has hardness 8, a Wilder will have a difficult time finding the extra powers known and spare feats to get that combination.

Wilder would only be better if you have a Torc of Power Preservation and spent two feats to get Earth Power. That way you could augment it to 13 pp (pay 11) and get a 7th level Astral Construct, which is a huge jump considering it would get two Menu C abilities with Boost Construct. Definitely worth doing if you're going to go all-out, but I'd personally prefer a Psion so you can make a construct (swift), use a debuff or crowd control power (standard), and regain your focus (move with Psionic Meditation) all in one round. A Wilder will be spending each entire round, and all the time until the start of his next turn, making each astral construct. Any damage he takes when it's not his turn will risk disrupting the power. Wilder would make a better summoner if he can get 7th level constructs, but Psion makes a well rounded character who will be more useful overall.

Edit: Forget taking repair damage, just summon another one.