PDA

View Full Version : Debuff Spells

Sir Yvain
2010-08-14, 12:54 AM
Does anyone know any powerful Debuff Spells

I could browse the SRD list, but I'd have to browse all of them. I don't know the name of any strong ones off hand. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Andion Isurand
2010-08-14, 01:01 AM
a few to start things off

Grease
Web
Glitterdust
Blindness/Deafness
Slow
Shivering Touch
Feeblemind
Baleful Polymorph
Waves of Exhaustion
Bonemelt
Polymorph Any Object

Wonton
2010-08-14, 01:05 AM
Enervation

Hirax
2010-08-14, 01:14 AM
Bestow curse is my favorite. Not so much for use against enemies, but to use for pranks against party members. I usually just pick one of the default ones, but only have it active during amusing times. IE, they have a 50% chance to normally or take no action every round, but only when talking to NPCs of the opposite sex. The person I did that to took to talking like Shatner to account for the random pauses forced by the curse. :smallbiggrin:

Sir Yvain
2010-08-14, 01:18 AM
I am making a custom class.

I am trying to give a 19th level combat ability. Basically the class does attacks that add averse affects sort of like the Martial Adepts. I want a powerful debuff for the 19th level.

What wouldn't be too broken?

I am thinking of doing enervation. The thing is that each of his attacks can be used once per encounter, again like a martial adept.

WinWin
2010-08-14, 01:18 AM
baleful polymorph
black tentacles
cause fear
ray of enfeeblement/stupidity

Take a look at the Archmage PrC. That could provide some inspiration for your class.

grarrrg
2010-08-14, 01:20 AM
Does anyone know any powerful Debuff Spells

Miracle
Limited Wish
Wish

What? Don't look at me like that...

Sir Yvain
2010-08-14, 01:23 AM
any good ability score damagers?

WinWin
2010-08-14, 01:29 AM
Perhaps a duskblade or spellsword or even a Spell storing weapon user.

Most spells that deal ability damage are temporary. Ray of Enfeeblement. Ray of Stupidity. Then you get stuff like Phantasmal Assailants (dex/wis damage), Shivering Touch (Dex). Poison is an effective method of dealing ability damage, mixed with some spellcasting it can be devastating.

Wonton
2010-08-14, 01:31 AM
Perhaps a duskblade or spellsword or even a Spell storing weapon user.

Most spells that deal ability damage are temporary. Ray of Enfeeblement. Ray of Stupidity. Then you get stuff like Phantasmal Assailants (dex/wis damage), Shivering Touch (Dex). Poison is an effective method of dealing ability damage, mixed with some spellcasting it can be devastating.

Not to mention the actual Poison spell. Which holds the honour of possibly being the only spell the DC of which scales with caster level.

Sir Yvain
2010-08-14, 01:32 AM
I cannot find shivering touch anywhere

What does it do?

Wonton
2010-08-14, 01:57 AM
I cannot find shivering touch anywhere

What does it do?

It's in Frostburn. 3d6 Dex damage, no save. It's quite broken, if you're homebrewing, don't base anything off of it.

Sir Yvain
2010-08-14, 01:59 AM
I went with an enervation like affect

1d4 negative levels

He gets the ability at level 19

Keld Denar
2010-08-14, 03:27 AM
Contrast your ability with the Soul Eater from BoVD. Soul Eater is a 10 level PrC that gives 1 negative level per hit at 1st level and another at IIRC, 6th. If you are giving out 1d4 negative levels per hit at 19th level, that is certainly not going to be overpowered in my opinion. Others may vary.

ex cathedra
2010-08-14, 04:07 AM
Christing god, do I love Soul Eater. You're mostly correct, but I believe that the second point of Energy Drain comes at level 7. It's also 10 levels of full BAB and all good saves, with out a dead level in sight. It has several abilities that give you twenty-four hour benefits (like, +4 Str/Con/Dex, +2 to all skill checks, ability checks, saves) if you successfully bestow a negative level to a creature, which... can lead to some odd looks from your DM when you start asking about the amount of cats/rats/children you can buy with 10 gold. :smallwink:

Andion Isurand
2010-08-14, 04:40 AM
Fell Drain Metamagic feat is pretty nasty for inflicting negative levels, though they fade before 24 hours

Fouredged Sword
2010-08-14, 01:36 PM
Fell drain sonic snap. Metamagic reducers can lower it back to a 0th level spell. Now laugh as you deal a negative level each round, no roll, no save.

Evard
2010-08-14, 02:53 PM
Fell drain sonic snap. Metamagic reducers can lower it back to a 0th level spell. Now laugh as you deal a negative level each round, no roll, no save.

Not exactly fun though

Sir Yvain
2010-08-15, 01:31 PM
Wow, you guys love to make your enemies suffer

As do I

I finished the class, thanks for all the help.