PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of horrors premade characters

Yeturs
2010-08-14, 02:01 AM
I'm looking for some.

I'm playing with relatively new players (they wanted to run tomb, I told em it was hard) and they are bad at making characters. They don't know there way around prc's and magic items basically.

So I look to the glory of the playground for help.

I would like 6 or so character build (significantly different, as if they made a diverse and balanced party) that my players can choose from.

Vital stats: level 10
32 point buy
No flaws
Not optimized (I know a single optimized character could crush tomb right now, so I don't want them doing that, but I want the characters to be good you know?)
Flavorful
Simple (selected spell lists if I could get them. )
Most importatly, equipped! My players hate that part (level 10 wealth by level)

If you want class/role guidelines, I would suggest
Cleric
Wizard/sorcerer
Barbarian
Ranger
Warlock
Factotem/rogue

But really make any class you want. Please keep the cheddar mild.

And only 4 of these guys will be played, so some overlap is nice.

Oh, and just a build will work too, I can fill in the blanks.

Hopefully that's not too confusing. Thank you wise playground!

Mando Knight
2010-08-14, 02:07 AM
I'm playing with relatively new players (they wanted to run tomb, I told em it was hard) and they are bad at making characters. They don't know there way around prc's and magic items basically.

Oh shoot. They're dead.

The difficulty of the Tomb isn't that the encounters are filled with monsters way above your CR, it's that it's tricksy. It's like the Castle Heterodyne, except it's not self-aware and thus doesn't have any urge at all to use you to repair it.

In other words, everything is a trap that will kill you (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070725). And Gygax liked to think he had a sense of humor about it.

The Antigamer
2010-08-14, 02:30 AM
I actually just made a char for a Tomb game, but didn't get in. Feel free to use Sage the Kobold (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=229631). His basic job is to know everything, identify anything, and deal some decent damage alongside acting as a controller. You just have to up him to add one more level, and adjust the items a bit because he'll have more wealth and because a new player might not be able to handle all the options I packed in there. Oh, and he was 28 point buy before adding racial modifiers.

Yeturs
2010-08-14, 02:43 AM
Right on, thanks antigamer!

And about new player death, I'm going to give the blatant dm assistance. Basically, they each have a coin they cannot get rid of. 5 minutes after the holder dies, they and all the gear on there person are returned to life (creating the body and gear if need be, yeah I'm looking at you sphere of annihilation.)

So that should help. I told them it was gunna be hard and they wanted to do it, and they like that it's tricksy, and not so much about killing the dudes before they kill you.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-14, 07:26 AM
Make sure that *every* character has some way of detecting traps, even if it's just a 10ft pole. Try to spread around love w regard to disabling traps, spot, saves, and so forth. Make sure they have a number of cure pots.