PDA

View Full Version : Thieving races [3e/3.5e]

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-14, 07:26 AM
What races are prone to thievery? Specifically seafaring ones, but any will do, so long as they have some form of higher intelligence (INT 4+)

Tyndmyr
2010-08-14, 07:29 AM
Err, Kender?

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-14, 07:31 AM
Err, Kender?

I'm not familiar with Kender, what book are they in?

Tyndmyr
2010-08-14, 07:37 AM
Consider yourself lucky. A race of theives ends up being incredibly annoying.

They originally hail from Dragonlance. Im not sure where all they were published.

Reynard
2010-08-14, 07:38 AM
Hobbitses Halflingses?

Ah, no gigantic Int bonus. Well, not without templates.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-14, 07:40 AM
He didn't say an int bonus, merely an int score capable of intelligence. Presumably to avoid inclusion of ravens and such due to their love of shiny things.

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-14, 07:41 AM
He didn't say an int bonus, merely an int score capable of intelligence. Presumably to avoid inclusion of ravens and such due to their love of shiny things.

Precisely :smallsmile:

Garian
2010-08-14, 07:57 AM
Whisper Gnome all the way ;P
And WOTC was kind enough to have an excerpt of it from races of stone.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a&page=3

DanReiv
2010-08-14, 08:08 AM
I'd agree on whisper gnome.

Add the Dark template from ToM. Pick the Darkstalker feat from LoM. Pump up Dex, Hide&MS.

Gratz nobody can detect you :smallwink:

hamishspence
2010-08-14, 08:10 AM
The Dark Template (ToM) can be gotten via a magic item in the same book.

If you think the template is underpowered (since you still need cover or concealment to hide) the Faerun book Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave, has a better version that doesn't require cover or concealment.

Shademan
2010-08-14, 09:02 AM
tengu.
or was it kenku? aah, small bird fellas from one of the Monster manuals. fluff it into a seagull for seafaring funnyness.

yes I know its from shintoistic belief. go to bed, you cabbage

hamishspence
2010-08-14, 09:11 AM
Aren't Kenku medium?

They're in MM3, and in Ecology of the Kenku in Dragon Magazine, it suggests they're descended from giant ravens who made a pact with Pazuzu to cure themselves of a plague- they reneged on the agreement afterward, and were cursed with their wings being replaced with arms.

Shademan
2010-08-14, 09:12 AM
pretty sure theyre small. hang on, lemme check
EDIT: indeed! they are medium! I am stunned. I was under the impression they were small... they look so small on the picture... *tilts head*
they would be so cute as small.... oh well.

(and no, pazuzu does not seem to be invovled in their creation. apparanlty it was evolution. well, it is setting specific I guess!)

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-14, 09:20 AM
Kenku it is :smallsmile:

They look very cool, and I take "Favoured Class: Rogue" to mean "Thieving @#"*$%>" :smalltongue:

nyarlathotep
2010-08-14, 09:41 AM
Goblins always make good thieves, especially in pathfinder where before abilities or ranks they have a +8 to stealth.

thompur
2010-08-14, 11:44 AM
And, of course, Humans. But they're so much better at it than any other race...;-)

grarrrg
2010-08-14, 01:07 PM
Looks like I might be a little late here but...
Ratkin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/ratkin) from pathfinder fit decently, some slight fudging here and there and they'd fit right into 3.5.
+2 dex and int, -2 Str, low light vision, other minor things.
Fluff has them as a "scavenger race" which doesn't take much to refluff to "thieving".

Crasical
2010-08-14, 02:45 PM
Looks like I might be a little late here but...
Ratkin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/ratkin) from pathfinder fit decently, some slight fudging here and there and they'd fit right into 3.5.
+2 dex and int, -2 Str, low light vision, other minor things.
Fluff has them as a "scavenger race" which doesn't take much to refluff to "thieving".

Heh. Ratkin as a seafaring race? Kind of fitting.

Starbuck_II
2010-08-14, 03:38 PM
Marrulurk: they get sneak attack so kinda thief-like.
Kenku: bird-thingies with seak attack.
Hadozee: Monkey-men (arm flaps allow gliding).
Asheratis: Desert rogues.
Neraphim; Very rogue-like fighting style
Shadowswyfts: From plane of Shadow (LA +1)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-14, 07:10 PM
Marrulurk: they get sneak attack so kinda thief-like.
Kenku: bird-thingies with seak attack.
Hadozee: Monkey-men (arm flaps allow gliding).
Asheratis: Desert rogues.
Neraphim; Very rogue-like fighting style
Shadowswyfts: From plane of Shadow (LA +1)

What book are they in? seems interesting

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-14, 07:17 PM
pretty sure theyre small. hang on, lemme check
EDIT: indeed! they are medium! I am stunned. I was under the impression they were small... they look so small on the picture... *tilts head*
they would be so cute as small.... oh well.

(and no, pazuzu does not seem to be invovled in their creation. apparanlty it was evolution. well, it is setting specific I guess!)

Kenku, at full size? I think they are kind of terrifying really. Three foot of Beak, for gods sake. :smalleek:
Small ones would be cuter. I like them reguardless.

gorfnab
2010-08-14, 07:30 PM
What book are they in? seems interesting

Planar Handbook

awa
2010-08-14, 07:36 PM
nezumi are another rat based scavenger race (oriental adventures)

Urpriest
2010-08-14, 08:23 PM
I second Hadozee. Seafaring monkeypeople.

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-15, 01:59 AM
I second Hadozee. Seafaring monkeypeople.

Unfortunately I've removed Hadozee from my setting, because they're just too silly for my party. They could never be a real problem to my PCs, because the players would just make monkey noises constantly :smallannoyed: