PDA

View Full Version : Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell (3.5)

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-08-14, 09:09 AM
Myself being an active user of DMM: Persistent spell, I was wondering how other people use it. Just post how you use/have used it in your DnD Campaigns.

The three things I tend to use it for are:

1: Combination of DMM: Persistent Spell, Augment Healing, and Mass Lesser Vigor/Vigorous Circle

2: In combination with Time Stop and...

3: 24hr mass buffs.

Though going back and reading through everything again I am unsure if 1 and 3 are legal.

JeminiZero
2010-08-14, 09:51 AM
Oddly enough I've never actually used it in an actual campaign. I generally only pull it out for arena fights, and make stuff like this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9114697&postcount=84)

Snake-Aes
2010-08-14, 09:54 AM
Myself being an active user of DMM: Persistent spell, I was wondering how other people use it. Just post how you use/have used it in your DnD Campaigns.

The three things I tend to use it for are:

1: Combination of DMM: Persistent Spell, Augment Healing, and Mass Lesser Vigor/Vigorous Circle

2: In combination with Time Stop and...

3: 24hr mass buffs.

Though going back and reading through everything again I am unsure if 1 and 3 are legal.

"Apparent time" and the fluff of the spell imply that Time Stop is instantaneous.
Alternatively, you can make it last 24 hours, in which you have 1d4+1 rounds to act.

Mongoose87
2010-08-14, 09:55 AM
Arguably, the persisted Time Stop means you can only do 1d4+1 rounds worth of actions for a whole day.

*Pries shuriken out of his back*

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-08-14, 11:57 AM
"Apparent time" and the fluff of the spell imply that Time Stop is instantaneous.
Alternatively, you can make it last 24 hours, in which you have 1d4+1 rounds to act.

Direct text from Complete Arcane; Persistent Spell Feat:
“Spells with a fixed or personal range can have their duration increased to 24 hours. Spells of instantaneous duration cannot be affected by this feat, nor can spells whose effects are discharged. You don’t need to maintain concentration on persistent detect spells (such as detect magic or detect thoughts) for you to be aware of the mere presence of absence of subject detected, but gaining additional information requires concentration as normal.”

Time Stop has a range of Personal, and a duration of 1d4+1 rounds. By the effects of this feat the duration becomes 24 hours of time being "stopped" for you.

Direct text from Player's Handbook; Time Stop Spell:
"This spell seems to make time cease to flow for everyone but you. In fact, you speed up so greatly that all other creatures seem frozen, though they are actually still moving at their normal speeds. You are free to act for 1d4+1 rounds of apparent time."

This means that you are moving so fast for 24 hours of apparent time to you, during which you can do anything that requires hours of the day or the entire day to do. After that 24 hours to you is up, you slow down and time seems to flow normally again and everybody else can "move".

Snake-Aes
2010-08-14, 12:00 PM
Apparent time implies it's only a false sensation. Time Stop is an overpowered haste.

Kylarra
2010-08-14, 12:03 PM
Apparent time implies it's only a false sensation. Time Stop is an overpowered haste.Well that's obvious (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)

Mr.Moron
2010-08-14, 12:07 PM
I'm currently using and I use it for two party wide buffs. Recitation and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful. It's a fairly substantial boost to our melee heavy party. I certainly wouldn't try to pull out any time stop shenanigans with it, that'd be silly.

EDIT: I can manage a 3rd persistent spell per day, but that slot fluctuates. I'm currently using for the spell Stone Body.

Crow
2010-08-14, 12:36 PM
The duration says "apparent time". The spell only lasts for one round.

ithildur
2010-08-14, 03:28 PM
I'm currently using and I use it for two party wide buffs. Recitation and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful. It's a fairly substantial boost to our melee heavy party. I certainly wouldn't try to pull out any time stop shenanigans with it, that'd be silly.

EDIT: I can manage a 3rd persistent spell per day, but that slot fluctuates. I'm currently using for the spell Stone Body.

Yes, I agree fully. Only the most spineless and clueless DM would allow a 24 hour timestop or similar crap.

Roga
2010-08-14, 03:37 PM
Convince your friends to take Diehard and D:MM Persist Delay Death on them for tons of fun!

As for the guy who mentioned Mass lesser Vigor with Augment healing, I've D:MM Persisted Mass lesser Vigor, but I didn't add Augment healing to it. Wouldn't it only add a fixed amount of extra healing instead of ramping up the Fast healing?

Claudius Maximus
2010-08-14, 03:37 PM
Whenever you use Persist, figure out with your DM whether or not touch spells are considered fixed or variable range. Some argue that they are variable, as the range supposedly varies by your reach.

Yes, I agree fully. Only the most spineless and clueless DM would allow a 24 hour timestop or similar crap.

That seems needlessly hostile.

0Megabyte
2010-08-14, 07:02 PM
Heck, so what if they use it?

That just means that you as the DM can use it too... mwahahahaha.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-08-14, 08:16 PM
As for the guy who mentioned Mass lesser Vigor with Augment healing, I've D:MM Persisted Mass lesser Vigor, but I didn't add Augment healing to it. Wouldn't it only add a fixed amount of extra healing instead of ramping up the Fast healing?

I think the wording on augment healing would ramp up the fast healing but I'm sure it could be debated that you would only heal the extra damage when it is cast instead of every round.

Douglas
2010-08-14, 08:59 PM
I think the wording on augment healing would ramp up the fast healing but I'm sure it could be debated that you would only heal the extra damage when it is cast instead of every round.
The wording is that it increases "the amount of damage healed", and it seems pretty obvious from context that it's referring to the total damage healed by the spell. Exactly when the extra healing kicks in for spells like Vigor is left completely up to the DM, but having the healing spread over multiple rounds does not allow you to multiply the feat's benefit.