PDA

View Full Version : Monitor sound not working

Syka
2010-08-14, 10:57 AM
Yeah...I have tech problems. :smalltongue: So sue me.

Anyway, for the last several months my monitor's speakers have not been working. I don't remember when it happened, but it just stopped working. My sister said it happens to her sometimes, but mine hasn't been sporadic- it's constant.

I just updated the drivers to no avail. It's definitely not on mute and the driver is enabled. Headphones do work, so I don't think it's the sound card.

I've also checked to make sure there isn't anything I have to plug from the monitor to the computer and my sister confirmed there isn't.

Any other things you think I should try? Or should I just run it by Geek Squad since it's still under warranty? It's not a huge issue since my computers in a public room so I normally use headphones anyway, it's just really annoying and I want to get it fixed before it's out of warranty.

Deathslayer7
2010-08-14, 11:29 AM
how old are the speakers? Do they connect to a subwoofer?

I know my dad's computer does and you have to mess witht the subwoofer alot to get the sound to come out of the speakers normally.

Syka
2010-08-14, 11:29 AM
Not external speakers; they are the built in ones.

Apparently there is supposed to be another audio cable (I found the owners manual online)? I completely don't remember having one, ever. :smallconfused:

Deathslayer7
2010-08-14, 11:33 AM
ah. sorry then. cant help with internal speakers. Don't know how you would go about fixing that.

Vaynor
2010-08-14, 12:30 PM
If it's still under warranty than definitely have it checked out, it certainly couldn't hurt to have it looked at. If the company that sold it to you can't fix the problem then they'll replace it (assuming you have a decent warranty and you didn't spill a liquid onto the speaker :smalltongue:).

Honestly, this seems pretty straightforward to me. :smallconfused:

Erloas
2010-08-14, 01:13 PM
How does the computer hook up to the monitor? HDMI cables will carry sound for the speakers, DVI, and D-Sub (3x5 pin) will not.
With DVI or D-sub you will have to have a secondary cable running from the computer to the monitor.

I know a hand full of video cards will have a patch through cable for sound through DVI, but I think its only used for sound on the DVI to HDMI adapters.

If you are using HDMI then you have to make sure you have the digital sound enabled. I have speakers built into my monitor, but I can only use them via HDMI, but with my motherboard I can only enable analog or digital sound output, not both at the same time. So in order to enable digital sound for the HDMI I would have to disable sound to my normal speaker system.

Under Sound you will have a Playback tab, mine has Speakers, Headphones, and Digital Audio, the default on mine is set to Speakers. Though in most cases if you plug headphones in it will disable the other two and set headphones as default until the headphones are disabled.