PDA

View Full Version : hopeing for a big ow

DragonsAion
2010-08-14, 11:15 AM
doing a soulbow build (soulknife 3/ soulbow 3) and with the feats that I have I can pump my psychic strike up to 2d8. I also have greater psionic shot and fell shot. Max damage of a mind arrow is 1D8+2D8+4d6.

Both fell shot and psionic shot require you to expand your psionic focus in order to use them. so can you use them at the same time or do you have to chose one or the other?

on a side note could I use monkey grip to enlarge my soulblade and mind arrows?

Kylarra
2010-08-14, 11:20 AM
You have to choose one or the other, you can't buy two $1 items from a vending machine with the same $1 bill (legitimately :P).

Sir_Elderberry
2010-08-14, 11:36 AM
Can't psicrystals hold foci or something? (Don't know much about psionics.)

Morph Bark
2010-08-14, 03:12 PM
Can't psicrystals hold foci or something? (Don't know much about psionics.)

That would require Psion or Wilder levels.

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-14, 03:49 PM
That would require Psion or Wilder levels.

Technically, can't Psychic Warrior also gain Psicrystals?

RMS Oceanic
2010-08-14, 03:56 PM
How do you join Soulbow at level 3 when you need 8 ranks in Autohypnosis? Are you taking levels in something else?

Starbuck_II
2010-08-14, 04:04 PM
Technically, can't Psychic Warrior also gain Psicrystals?

Not without feats in psicrystal Containment/Psicrystal Affinity.

Flickerdart
2010-08-14, 05:10 PM
Everyone needs to take psicrystal affinity to gain one, now. The only way to avoid doing so is to take Psychic Weapon Master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d), whose psionic crystal weapon can also hold a psionic focus (for a maximum of 3 including a psicrystal and your own).

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-14, 08:33 PM

That's EXACTLY the same way that a Psion or Wilder gains a psicrystal, so I have no idea why you felt that was necessary to post.

DragonsAion
2010-08-15, 02:31 PM
How do you join Soulbow at level 3 when you need 8 ranks in Autohypnosis? Are you taking levels in something else?

ops, missed that one. so it would be a soulknife 5/ soulbow 1

STR: 12
DEX: 18
CON: 14
INT: 14
WIS: 16
CHA: 8

FEATS:
H:two-weapon fighting
1:point blank shot
3:psionic meditation
6:mind cleave
B: psionic shot

planed feats:
PSICONIC BODY
TWO-BLADED MIND BLADE
MIND EMPOWERMENT
MIND STRIKE, FOCUSED

RMS Oceanic
2010-08-15, 03:13 PM
I don't think taking Two-Bladed Mind Blade is a good idea. While not starving for feats, your average soulbow build tends to beef up the Mind Arrow bit with archery feats, rather than trying to do two combat styles at once, which would definately leave you feat starved. Instead, I'd max your wisdom and pick up Zen Archery, which lets you use your Wisdom rather than your dex to attack rolls with ranged attacks, and then you don't have to divide your ability enhancements between Dex and Wisdom.

Don't ditch the TWF part yet, though: There is an interpretation of the rules - check with your DM - that you can fire additional arrows from your off hand and take appropriate TWF penalties. Lacking extra damage on most of your regular attacks, this might be the way to go. If that won't fly, then Greater Manyshot would be the way to go, and also allow enhanced mobility.

I'm not sure if trying to rely on Psychic Strike to do lots of damage is the best way to do a soulbow build. Without a lot of feats, you can do this at best once every two rounds. The soulbows I experienced usually go for volume, going the Greater Manyshot route to pincushion a guy with 2d8 + (2 x Wis) every round. Going nova can be useful, but even with the Psychic Shot feats the Soulbow's nova isn't the best, compared to say a Greatsword with full power attack. I think the Soulbow is better for a lower but more constant and reliable stream of damage.

Also, don't touch Monkey Grip. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work when you're conjuring these blades from your own mind, and the attack penalties aren't worth at most an extra two damage per arrow. At least with Power Attack you know you'll get that much extra damage.

DragonsAion
2010-08-15, 03:20 PM
the soulbow bonus feats i'm thinking of getting are:

Psionic shot
Greater psionic shot
Fell shot
Precise shot

not sure what to get for the last one.