PDA

View Full Version : Real quick question about Crit Range!

NekoJoker
2010-08-14, 11:24 AM
I do not really understand how it stacks, but the very thought of it makes me a bit excited.

I took a look at the Disciple of Dispater PrC and found it to be rather cool for a melee type. I want this fellow to have a Falchion (18-20 crit range IIRC) and then get some crit range improvements, crit says it "doubles", then, does it work something like this?

18-20 (3 numbers) - base
15-20 (6 numbers) - Improved Critical
12-20 (9 numbers) - Disciple of Dispater 4
9-20 (12 numbers) - Disciple of Dispater 8

thxs guys!

Swordgleam
2010-08-14, 12:22 PM
I believe that it does.

Urpriest
2010-08-14, 12:25 PM
Looks correct. You've remembered the x2+x2=x3 rule, you're doing the number range correctly. I assume you're in 3.5, so keen won't stack with Improved Crit, but either stacks with Disciple of Dispater. Looks fine to me.

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-14, 12:28 PM
Nail on the head :smallsmile: As previously mentioned, Keen won't stack with the IC feat, but your build looks fine.

I'd love to see a Nimblewright with the same build...

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-14, 12:30 PM
Make sure to check with your DM to see if Disciple of Dispater is allowed in his game (unless you are the DM).

Fouredged Sword
2010-08-14, 12:54 PM
Keen will not stack with the desiple. IC feat will though. Your numbers are right, now you need to pick up resounding blow and laugh as you cower lock your foes!

NekoJoker
2010-08-14, 01:56 PM
Alriiiight!

So i got the thing right. Well, I am the DM, so Enything I say goes (evil laugh) I just wanted to make sure it was somewhat legal, now, one of you mentioned the nimblewright... i'll look into it.

Now i can get some evil stuff going on

thank you guys. The question was solved.

/thread ^-^

Siosilvar
2010-08-14, 02:12 PM
Do note that you have to actually hit before you can threaten a crit, though. 9-20 crit range does not mean you hit on 9-20.

FMArthur
2010-08-14, 02:27 PM
It's not evil until Aptitude Weapons are involved. :smallwink:

hamishspence
2010-08-14, 02:30 PM
I'd love to see a Nimblewright with the same build...

The Nimblewright got nerfed slightly in 3.5- its Crit range went from 12-20 to 15-20. Still very good.

ex cathedra
2010-08-14, 02:46 PM

This is...
I don't even...

I was coming here to say the following:

It's not evil until Lightning Maces are involved. :smallwink:

:smallconfused:

It's uncanny.

Lyndworm
2010-08-14, 02:46 PM
Lightning Mace Kukris? :smallamused:

JaronK
2010-08-14, 02:52 PM
Lightning Mace Roundabout Kick Kukris! Why hit once when you can hit twice?

JaronK

Lyndworm
2010-08-14, 02:55 PM
TWF/Roundabout Kick with an Unarmed Strike and a Falchion, both of which have been Aptituded to be Light Maces. The opportunities are amazing, here.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-08-14, 02:57 PM
Lightning Mace Roundabout Kick Kukris! Why hit once when you can hit twice?

JaronK

Because the DM will be thinking the same thing, only with his Lightning Mace Roundabout Kick Sourcebooks.

Shalist
2010-08-14, 03:41 PM

Actualy, it's not evil until weapon shift is involved.

WEAPON SHIFT
Transmutation
Level: Bard 2, sorcerer/wizard 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One melee weapon of up to
15 lb.
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
(object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)
Waving the folded sheet of parchment before you, you firmly grasp the target weapon. A barely perceptible rust-brown glow engulfs it, then grows into a shining radiance of molten-metal red. As the radiance subsides, you note with satisfaction that the weapon now has the desired shape.

A weapon shift spell allows you to temporarily transform any one melee weapon into a different melee weapon. Thus, a greatclub could be transformed into a greatsword, a light pick into a morning star, or a dagger into a battleaxe.

Improvised weapons and double weapons cannot be targeted or be the result of this spell. Magic weapons transformed retain all their special abilities as long as the new form could legally have those abilities, and weapons made from special materials retain their special materials.

For instance, shift a 'mace of smiting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#maceofSmiting)' into a 'scimitar of smiting,' apply 'bless weapon' or some such to ensure auto-confirmed crits, and you're all set!

This +3 adamantine heavy mace has a +5 enhancement bonus against constructs, and any critical hit dealt to a construct completely destroys it (no saving throw). A critical hit dealt to an outsider deals ×4 damage rather than ×2.

FMArthur
2010-08-14, 03:59 PM
This is still small-time. I was thinking dual-wielding Splitting Aptitude Hand Crossbows combined with Lightning Maces and Roundabout Kick. Your crit range falls to 13-20 in exchange for an explosion of multiplying crossbow bolts that wipes out everything.

Greenish
2010-08-14, 04:49 PM
Do remember to make that falchion from Kaorti Resin. x4 crit modifier with 9-20 cri range… :smallamused:

JaronK
2010-08-14, 04:52 PM
This is still small-time. I was thinking dual-wielding Splitting Aptitude Hand Crossbows combined with Lightning Maces and Roundabout Kick. Your crit range falls to 13-20 in exchange for an explosion of multiplying crossbow bolts that wipes out everything.

Disciple doesn't work except on iron weapons. Your Hand Crossbows won't have this critical range.

Now, were you to dual wield Great Crossbows while using extra hands and combining in Hand Crossbow Mastery, you'd get somewhere. Still not 13-20, but 15-20 will get the job done. Don't forget Blood in the Water.

Katori Resin won't work either for similar reasons.

JaronK

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-08-14, 04:59 PM
With all these crit shenanigans, just be sure you don't kill yourself. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/deathUrge.htm)

Wonton
2010-08-14, 07:47 PM
Do remember to make that falchion from Kaorti Resin. x4 crit modifier with 9-20 cri range… :smallamused:

Then enchant it with Shocking Burst...

9mm
2010-08-14, 09:13 PM
With all these crit shenanigans, just be sure you don't kill yourself. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/deathUrge.htm)

This board will never let Olo live that down will we?

FMArthur
2010-08-14, 11:06 PM
Disciple doesn't work except on iron weapons. Your Hand Crossbows won't have this critical range.

Now, were you to dual wield Great Crossbows while using extra hands and combining in Hand Crossbow Mastery, you'd get somewhere. Still not 13-20, but 15-20 will get the job done. Don't forget Blood in the Water.

Katori Resin won't work either for similar reasons.

JaronK

You can get them to be iron. I don't remember where because special materials are all over the place, but I did remember that clause when I made a character out of this and it definitely works.