PDA

View Full Version : Any way to snag Dragonblood Subtype?

Talbot
2010-08-14, 12:54 PM
I'm playing a third level bard, and I'd really like to get Dragonfire Inspiration... but I don't have the Subtype. Any way around that?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-08-14, 12:57 PM
Become a dragonborn!

ex cathedra
2010-08-14, 01:03 PM
If you're a human, you could ask really, really nicely to become a Silverbrow Human instead.

Otherwise, grab the Dragonborn or Draconic template, or amass like 50,000 gold and use the subtype association ritual from Savage Species.

So, yeah. If the first option doesn't work, I strongly suggest the second. Otherwise, you're mostly out of luck, as far as I know.

Edit:

Oh, yeah. I guess that a feat works, too. :smallwink:

Volthawk
2010-08-14, 01:10 PM
Dragontouched?

true_shinken
2010-08-14, 01:12 PM
I believe dragonborn resets you to first level... draconic is an inherited template.
Other than talking to your DM to become a Silverbrow Human like was already mentioned, you could use Draconic Heritage. You need Dragontouched - maybe Dragontouched alone already gives you the subtype...

Edge of Dreams
2010-08-14, 01:26 PM
I believe dragonborn resets you to first level

Sorry, but that's wrong. Dragonborn removes prior racial characteristics and replaces them with the Dragonborn racial abilities. The details in Races of the Dragon explain exactly how that works. No level loss is involved.

true_shinken
2010-08-14, 01:52 PM
Sorry, but that's wrong. Dragonborn removes prior racial characteristics and replaces them with the Dragonborn racial abilities. The details in Races of the Dragon explain exactly how that works. No level loss is involved.

You are indeed correct.

Adumbration
2010-08-14, 02:06 PM
Dragontouched?

With one feat you can become dragonblooded!

Prime32
2010-08-14, 02:10 PM
Or you could dip sorcerer - there's an ACF which trades your familiar in exchange for dragony goodness.

Doesn't one of the later versions of Draconic Heritage (in RotD or DM) grant you the subtype?

true_shinken
2010-08-14, 02:20 PM
Doesn't one of the later versions of Draconic Heritage (in RotD or DM) grant you the subtype?

I believe all versions do that. The problem is that you need a Sorcerer level (or Dragontouched) to take the feat.

If it is between Dargontouched and dragonborn, I'd take Dragontouched. dragonborn also costs you a feat (your human bonus feat) and drops your Dex...

FMArthur
2010-08-14, 02:22 PM
If you chose your race exclusively for its ability score modifications, rejoice, pay 100gp to become a Dragonborn of Bahamut to gain -2 Dex +2 Con in addition to your other racial adjustments, plus a breath weapon dealing 1d8 + 1d8/3 levels halved on a Reflex save, the ultra-rare Darkvision ability, or a set of wings to fly with. You lose most other racial traits. The Dragonborn template is found in Races of the Dragon.

If you like your race, and you have 11 or more Charisma (BARD), the Dragontouched feat from Dragon Magic gives the subtype to you easily and painlessly, plus a bunch of insignificant +1s to a bunch of things because character sheets aren't messy enough.

Prime32
2010-08-14, 02:48 PM
I believe all versions do that.The first version was in Complete Arcane, which predates the creation of the dragonblood subtype.

true_shinken
2010-08-14, 03:07 PM
The first version was in Complete Arcane, which predates the creation of the dragonblood subtype.

Oh, thanks for pointing out. I never realized it was there.

Thurbane
2010-08-14, 06:36 PM
Or you could dip sorcerer - there's an ACF which trades your familiar in exchange for dragony goodness.
If your'e going to dip, go for Dragonfire Adept...it gets you Dragontouched as a bonus feat 1st level. It'll also boost Fort and Will by +2, a 1d6 breath weapon, and get you one least invocation - Beguiling Influence is pretty neat for a bard (+6 to Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate for 24 hours).

InkEyes
2010-08-14, 07:21 PM
If your'e going to dip, go for Dragonfire Adept...it gets you Dragontouched as a bonus feat 1st level. It'll also boost Fort and Will by +2, a 1d6 breath weapon, and get you one least invocation - Beguiling Influence is pretty neat for a bard (+6 to Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate for 24 hours).

I second this, and Magic Insight is also a great choice for your invocation. Nothing endears you to a party like being able to detect + identify magic spells and items for free and at will.

Thurbane
2010-08-14, 08:41 PM
I second this, and Magic Insight is also a great choice for your invocation. Nothing endears you to a party like being able to detect + identify magic spells and items for free and at will.
Yep, probably my favorite Least invocation, and another great one for a Bard...means you don't need to blow a precious "spell known" on identify. No 100gp pearls or 1 hour casting time either...woot! :smallbiggrin: