PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropic Bat Build

felinoel
2010-08-14, 03:28 PM
4e

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/felinoel/DnD/werebat.jpg

Any destructive criticism? (Or con-, con- is good too)

Peregrine
2010-08-14, 11:56 PM
The width of that image (and the fact that it's all an image, not text) makes it hard to read. I hope you don't mind me copying it out for everyone's benefit.

Werebat -- Level 6 Skirmisher, XP 242
Medium natural humanoid (shapechanger)
[hr]
Initiative +7 Senses Perception +11; blind sense
HP 62 Bloodied 31
Regeneration 5 (if the werebat takes damage from a silver weapon, its regeneration doesn't function on its next turn)
AC 19; Fortitude 18, Reflex 17, Will 15
Immune blood sapped (see below)
Speed 4, flight 5 (not in bat/human form), hover 6 (only bat form)
[hr]
† Short Sword (standard; at-will) ◆ Weapon
+9 vs. AC; 1d6 + 4 damage.
[hr]
† Bite (standard; at-will) ◆ Disease
+10 vs. AC; 1d4 + 5 damage, ¼ damage dealt is added to the werebat’s hp, and the target takes an ongoing 6 damage (save ends) and contracts blood sapped (see below); see also blood rage.
[hr]
Blood Rage
The werebat’s melee attacks deal 4 extra damage against a bloodied target.
[hr]
Change Shape (minor; at-will) ◆ Polymorph
A werebat can alter its physical form to appear as a dire bat or a unique human (see Change Shape, page 280). It cannot use its bite attack in human form and cannot make sword attacks in bat form.
[hr]
Alignment Evil Languages Common
Skills Bluff +8, Stealth +10, Intimidate +8, Thievery +8
Str 16 (+6) Dex 17 (+6) Wis 13 (+4)
Con 17 (+6) Int 10 (+3) Cha 11 (+4)
[hr]
Equipment cloak, short sword

Werebat Tactics
A lone werebat will likely try to find a damp, dark cave or other area in which to sleep during the day in its dire bat form, only coming out to swoop down hoping to gain combat advantage and surprise their target, and carry away its victim in hybrid form. Numerous wererats swarm in caves, especially during the day. They prefer to attack with their short shorts when in hybrid form but when bloodied they usually flee to regenerate and then come back while their target is still wounded. Wererats prefer to attack in swarms with a quarter of them in dire bat form and the rest in hybrid form out with their swords.

{table]Blood Sapped|Level 5 Disease||Endurance stable DC 18, improve DC 23
The target is cured.|◀ Initial Effect: The target takes a −2 penalty to Fortitude defense.|◀ ▶ The target takes a −2 penalty to AC, Reflex defense, and loses 1 healing surge.|▶ Final State: The target attacks the nearest creature in its line of sight. If it can’t see any other creatures, it does nothing but move in a randomly chosen direction.[/table]

Okay, now the comments. There are a few typos here and there, including several references to them as "wererats", and this absolute gem:
They prefer to attack with their short shorts when in hybrid form... Nooo! Not the short shorts! :smalleek:

EDIT: I am a strange, twisted individual. http://img.pederick.id.au/gallery/d/45-1/Werebat.png

devinkowalczyk
2010-08-15, 12:58 AM
Does the silver weapon keyword thingy still function that way in 4e?

CakeTown
2010-08-15, 03:17 AM
There are a couple things I have issues with. First of all, as Peregrine pointed out, you have quite a few spelling mistakes.

Next, the Bite attack could use a little work. The amount of hitpoints it gains are insignificant; since it can do a maximum of 13 damage and a minimum of 6, meaning it only gains 1-3 hit points. Also, you don't specify if the werebat gains temporary hitpoints or normal hitpoints from this attack. I also think that this attack has too many effects; most low level at wills only have one effect. I suggest removing the healing effect from this Bite attack, and just leaving it with the ongoing damage and the disease.

To compensate for this, you could give it a power that lets it recover hitpoints by biting a bloodied enemy or something like that.

Another thing: does Blood Rage affect the Short Sword attack? It states in its description that it affects all of the werebat's melee attacks, but it makes no mention of this in the Short Sword description.

I think the disease could use a little work. I think it works a little differently from what you're thinking; the Dungeon's Master Guide says that you determine infection from a disease after the battle is done by making a saving throw. If a person is infected, and reaches the final state, it could be pretty devastating. Let's say for example the character was sleeping in a guest room at a king's palace. He fails his endurance check and reaches the final state. Now let's say the king walks into the room. He's going to attack the king. Definitely not a good thing.

I suggest modifying the final state of the disease. The other states are good, but the last one could use some work.

Other than that, I thought everything else was done well. Great concept, we can always use another "were" creature.

@devinkowalczyk, apparently it does. All of the official "were" creatures have that same regeneration.