PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Methods of bringing other people with you?

Flickerdart
2010-08-14, 04:51 PM
I'm building a gestalt character whose modus operandi is to have a bunch of familiars (Extra Familiar feat) boosted with all sorts of neat soulmelds (Share Soulmeld feat). However, I've bumped into a problem: spells shared with my familiars (such as buffs) stop working as soon as soon as they leave my vicinity. The solution for this was, of course, to use my own actions to cart them around, but the only way I can do this involves Greater Dimension Door, a spell that's several levels out of my reach. Picking the scamps up and carrying them is, sadly, only going to give them one attack (as per mounted combat rules). Arguably, the mystery Flicker would work if we all teleported at the same time, but that's tenuous at best (since D&D doesn't really do "at the same time" very well).

What ways are there of carrying other creatures with you?

Glimbur
2010-08-14, 04:57 PM
Regular Dim Door lets you carry 1 medium critter per 3 caster levels.

Companion Spellbond, a feat from... ??? lets you share spells at 30' and if you have a kind DM might extend to soulmelds and such too.

Flickerdart
2010-08-14, 05:07 PM
The problem with regular Dimension Door is that it will gobble up my spells/day and actions just to cart around the little scamps.

I think I've come on a solution though: use Token Familiar ("on command", which is a free action? I dunno) to turn my familiars into objects, take them with me to the enemy using Flicker (immediate action) and then speak another command to turn them back into fighting shape. Still leaves me move and standard.

Marnath
2010-08-14, 05:10 PM
There's a spell called familiar pocket, which turns a regular pocket into a space that can hold your familiar safely. It also features in the belt of many pockets/pouches/whatever it's called.

Jack_Simth
2010-08-14, 05:15 PM
Regular Dim Door lets you carry 1 medium critter per 3 caster levels.

Companion Spellbond, a feat from... ??? lets you share spells at 30' and if you have a kind DM might extend to soulmelds and such too.Player's Handbook II ... although that's for your Animal Companion.

There's Enspell Familiar from Dragon Compendium and gives you a 1 mile distance for Share Spells.

Flickerdart
2010-08-14, 05:18 PM
There's a spell called familiar pocket, which turns a regular pocket into a space that can hold your familiar safely. It also features in the belt of many pockets/pouches/whatever it's called.
Awesome suggestions! Sadly, a belt of hidden pouches cannot contain living matter (so I'd have to have undead familiars or something?) and familiar pocket only works on Tiny familiars (so I'd have to grab Reduce Persons for larger ones). Still, this makes things a lot easier.

There's Enspell Familiar from Dragon Compendium and gives you a 1 mile distance for Share Spells.Whoa. I should track down a copy of Dragon #280, seems like all the familiar stuff is there.

Marnath
2010-08-14, 05:24 PM
Awesome suggestions! Sadly, a belt of hidden pouches cannot contain living matter (so I'd have to have undead familiars or something?) and familiar pocket only works on Tiny familiars (so I'd have to grab Reduce Persons for larger ones). Still, this makes things a lot easier.

Whoa. I should track down a copy of Dragon #280, seems like all the familiar stuff is there.

I was mistaken, i meant the belt of many pockets from complete arcane. It has a dedicated familiar pouch that the familiar can hide in, and not require air or sustenance. In fact, the familiar can be any size and weight. Any non- familar that you put in the pouch suffocates as normal.
*edit Page 147 if you wanted to look it up. It costs 10,000gold.

Flickerdart
2010-08-14, 05:35 PM
That belt is awesome and I can just barely afford it. Thanks, Marnath!

Marnath
2010-08-14, 05:37 PM
That belt is awesome and I can just barely afford it. Thanks, Marnath!

Glad to help! :smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2010-08-14, 05:53 PM
Ah, boo, it's a move action to remove an item from the belt. It says nothing about familiars, though...

Marnath
2010-08-14, 05:58 PM
Ah, boo, it's a move action to remove an item from the belt. It says nothing about familiars, though...

I should think it would ve a move action on their part to enter or leave.

balistafreak
2010-08-14, 06:13 PM
In fact, the familiar can be any size and weight.

Okay, that statement seems full of abuse-potential.

What's the largest, most obnoxious thing you can take as a familiar? There must be some way to make a full-fledged dragon one...

Flickerdart
2010-08-14, 06:23 PM
You can take a Gold Dragon Wyrmling as a familiar with the Draconic Familiar feat (medium size) or a Winter Wolf as an Improved Familiar (Large size). Arcane Hierophant also lets you count the same creature for your Animal Companion and Familiar, so...how big of a companion can we get?

balistafreak
2010-08-14, 07:41 PM
If you can combine an Animal Companion and a Familiar, sure, give yourself a Tyrannosarus-Rex.

It's Huge (3x3 size), and pops out of your pocket. Rawr!

And that's just in core. There must be some way to get a 4x4 creature as a Animal Companion (which leads to us turning it into a familiar :smallcool:).

Will say that Winter Wolf is a pretty easy way too, though.