PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for D20 Past

Vorpalbob
2010-08-14, 05:25 PM
I am currently working on a campaign set in the 1930's in a generic American city (Specifically, Lost Heaven from the Mafia video game). I am not recreating the story of said game, nor will I be reusing (many) characters. I'm just using the city because I know nothing about any actual cities from that era.

I initially planned to have just a story of two mafia's competing for control of the city, but I want to have a supernatural element. For example, one mafia has a vampire scholar, and the other keeps an overt bear moreau as a pet monster.

My first dilemma is how much the public should know. Should they be completely unaware, and explain away the encounters that do occur? How about they are aware, but some try to ignore it? Or perhaps there is an open supernatural (moreau, intelligent undead, psychic, magic-using, ec.) presence in the city, causing problems not unlike the Black civil rights movement?

How will that choice affect life in the city? How might it affect the players? (who, by the way, will be a hit squad capable of developing psychic/magical abilities).

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Fouredged Sword
2010-08-14, 06:39 PM
I would have the vampire mob be incumbent and the other mod be a startup that is threatining them. A vampire would just take a long view, but letting a mortal time frame dictate the fighting would kick things up a notch.

Magic being known about would shake things up a lot. Things to consider. Is magic legal? Regulated? or is it just disliked by society. Or is it embraced? or just ignored?

How long ago was magic introduced. Is it new or has it always been a part of society alongside technology?

Do you use the default setting in urban arcana with the population at large being cumpletly unable to see magic or is everyone in the know, or is magic covered up by scarcity and secrecy?

This sounds like a cool setting, but for building a setting there are lots of questions, and the answers can be anything you want them to be.

devinkowalczyk
2010-08-14, 07:17 PM
I think alot of the questions are you asking depends on what kind of campaign you want. The "should I add this or that" is what makes them game.

I like the idea of shadowy stuff, of layers of intrigue and subtley.

Some people have knowledge, some people have no clue.

iDM
2010-08-14, 07:27 PM
Maybe the populace at large is convinced that magic exists, and would exterminate it if they could find it, which would mean that those who have magical ability have to hide it in order to survive. If the PCs are magic-users, this could create interesting roleplaying opportunities as they try to help the people and convince them that they aren't evil just because they use magic, all while they are being hunted by the mafia.

Alternatively, the mafia might scare people into obedience with their magic, and so anyone who uses magic is associated with the mafia and are openly feared and respected. In this situation, the mobs might fight over control of the characters, both trying to recruit them to their side.

Vorpalbob
2010-08-14, 11:15 PM
Maybe the populace at large is convinced that magic exists, and would exterminate it if they could find it, which would mean that those who have magical ability have to hide it in order to survive. If the PCs are magic-users, this could create interesting roleplaying opportunities as they try to help the people and convince them that they aren't evil just because they use magic, all while they are being hunted by the mafia.

I do like this idea, except for the hunted by the mafia part. My storyline is somewhat dependent on them aligning themselves with one of the mafias. However, what you wrote does accidentally reference their backstory.

As I mentioned in the OP, they are a hit squad. They came from another city, where they were mildly respected for their abilities. After bungling a major job, they incurred the wrath of the most powerful don in that city, and fled town. They changed their names, and while they are unknown to the mafias in Lost Heaven, they are on the run from their past.

My story is fluid enough to allow them to join either mafia without requiring too much change, and there will be opportunities to change sides or leave entirely.

Alternatively, the mafia might scare people into obedience with their magic, and so anyone who uses magic is associated with the mafia and are openly feared and respected. In this situation, the mobs might fight over control of the characters, both trying to recruit them to their side.

Now this, I like. If magic users are extremely rare, competition over those that are available could be a major plot point. I think I'll work a few levels of psionic/magic -using classes into my important NPCs.

I would have the vampire mob be incumbent and the other mod be a startup that is threatining them. A vampire would just take a long view, but letting a mortal time frame dictate the fighting would kick things up a notch.

This is a good idea, just not really what I'm looking for. There will be powerful vampires/what have you, but they will try to stay out of the limelight. If they are active in the underworld, they take a more subtle approach, gaining power through other means than running a criminal empire. An example is the vampire scholar I mentioned in the OP. He is technically aligned with one mafia, but members of other organizations come to him for information, leading to him having influence with many people within the city. Even though no one takes orders from him, he can still have an effect on the happenings in the city.

I think I'll have most of the general public be peripherally aware of magic/ec. By this I mean most people grudgingly accept the existence of such things, but are either deathly afraid of or try to ignore them. Sort of like in the modern world, with global warming. Not counting the legally insane, even the most aggressive opponent to the scientific community knows deep down that it is real.

The police will be the only people who are informed about these things, perhaps with elite (was there a 1930's SWAT equivalent?) squads being taught to recognize different types of spells and creatures and how to defend against them. Basically a public in terror, and cops who actually know what they are doing.

Magic being known about would shake things up a lot. Things to consider. Is magic legal? Regulated? or is it just disliked by society. Or is it embraced? or just ignored?
How long ago was magic introduced. Is it new or has it always been a part of society alongside technology?

Magic has existed since the beginning of time, and up until the Age of Reason, (PL 3) the relationship between humanity and magic has been roughly the same as in D&D 3.0 . At that point, the governments of the world and practitioners of magic cracked down, attempting to eliminate all knowledge of something that was almost a part of daily life.

With the more recent development of advanced communication devices (telegraph, telephone, tellabich*) rumors and stories have leaked out, resulting in the current situation.

What I'm mainly asking for is help with the logistics of such a society. For example, the first gun restriction laws appeared in 1934, and my campaign is in 1938. Would there be similar legislation on magic?

Whew. long post. Possibly my longest yet.

*= reference to 50 Cent's autobiography. No joke.

Urpriest
2010-08-15, 01:05 AM
Given the era, one idea to explore is a form of Prohibition focused on magic. It would be very interesting if people not only feared the mafia for its magical power, but needed to go to it for magical services.

hamishspence
2010-08-15, 09:01 AM
Play up the mafia as "Bad Samaritans"- they start off as being friendly and helpful- then reveal that you can't get something for nothing, and eventually those going to them for help discover just what strings are attached.

"Now it's happened once or twice,
Someone couldn't pay the price,
And I'm afraid I had to rake 'em across the coals.
Yes, I've had the odd complaint,
But on the whole, I've been a saint,
To those poor unfortunate sooooouls!"

:smallbiggrin: