PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] 850 Gold, for 1 Fun, Unique, Interesting Item.

balistafreak
2010-08-14, 07:47 PM
You've already covered all the bases; magic armor, magic weapon, protective items, stat boosters, food/drink/shelter, adventuring gear (SHAAAAAPESAAAAAAND), teleportation, essential combat buffs, a wand of Lesser Vigor for healing, etc. etc.

You've still got 850 gold left over. What do you pick up as a last item, something that isn't going to be class-specific (a Wand or Scroll), an augmentation, or just plain useless?

A non-consumable would be preferable. As amusing as it would be to grab Potions of Fly or Blast Disks, that would be akin to throwing gold out the window.

(No, I am not asking for character build advice. Nope. Absolutely not, move along. :smallwink:)

oxybe
2010-08-14, 08:03 PM
for less the 1K?

i normally get the everfull mug / trail rations. i forget the real name of the item (you can find them in the MiC), but the mug can give about 1 liter of water or cruddy beer a day. the trail ration gives you "drum roll" a trail ration every day.

if you've got money to spare and you don't want to be bogged down by actual rations or water, it's cheap (for an adventurer) and useful.

other then that, if you can craft then you can make an "amulet of cantrip". think hand of the mage or whatnot. in a previous campaign, i created a slotless Xerox machine using the amanuensis 0-level spell.

true_shinken
2010-08-14, 08:05 PM
How about a healing belt?

Snake-Aes
2010-08-14, 08:15 PM
Manacles and rope to drag around the rest of the party whenever the plot gets railed.
A pocket watch with gold filigree for looking fancy. Goes good with a set of tea chinas.
If you have the str and con and int for it, a board of Punch-Chess is good.

Wonton
2010-08-14, 08:30 PM
How about a healing belt?

+1

How about an armor/shield augment crystal? 500 gp will get you resistance 5 to one element (up to 25 points of damage/day), +2 AC against ranged attacks, or DR 1/- (up to 10 points of damage/day). Then 300 gp for a Weapon Augment Crystal of least Return, to get Quick Draw for free. And you're left with 50 gp... go to town.

Starbuck_II
2010-08-14, 08:35 PM
With Sleight of Hand: you could do a reverse pick pocket, give them the Ring of Clumsiness on their finger (-4 Dex and 20% sperll failure staxcks with other sources).
Cost: 500 gp.

Crasical
2010-08-14, 08:38 PM
*checks*

Useful nonsense from the Indispensable haversack guide:

Ioun Stone, Dull Grey
Price: 135 GP
Weight: --
(DMG 3.0)
A burned-out ioun stone (25 GP) no longer confers any magical effects, but it does still float around your head. Get your friendly neighborhood cleric to cast continual flame on it (which may cost 50 to 110 GP), and you can create a slotless light source that keeps your hands free.

Magic Bedroll
Price: 500 GP
Weight: 6#
(Magic Item Compendium p. 163)
Not to be confused with Heward's Fortifying Bedroll (Complete Mage). This bedroll provides the benefits of endure elements and restores 1 HP per character level after 8 hours of rest. Combine with Bitterleaf Oil to gain more natural healing, although unlike the oil, the bedroll doesn't have a 5 HP maximum limit.

Troll Gut Rope
Price: 500 GP
Weight: 7#
(Magic Item Compendium p. 190)
50' rope, 1/day provides an extra 300' of rope that lasts for 12 hours. If you need to tie up something longer than that, stick with normal non-magical rope. Since you may need to tie something up for longer than 12 hours, keep at least one coil of normal silk rope handy.

50gp over your budget, but....

Hand of the Mage
Price: 900 GP
Weight: 2#
(DMG)
A handy ("{groan}" "What?!") item to have around. Lift and manipulate any object up to 5 lbs within 35'. When you can afford to upgrade, pick up a Collar of Perpetual Attendance for unseen servant at will.

PId6
2010-08-14, 08:39 PM
I love Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker. Dirt cheap, and very nice utility, letting you get in there for a full attack or get out of their AoO range for a spell.

Archdeacon GX
2010-08-14, 08:53 PM
Perhaps 85 tents? Never know when you might need to house a small army for the night.

Iku Rex
2010-08-14, 08:56 PM
Amber Amulet of Vermin (MIC)

Darrin
2010-08-14, 09:33 PM
Amber Amulet of Vermin (MIC)

Did I not put this in the Haversack...? Oh, there it is, Type III. The Giant Wasp version (800 GP) can give you a flying mount 1/day for 10 rounds.

I'd probably go with that or the Talisman of the Disk (MIC, 500 GP). Particularly if you've got a tank in the party that needs a sidecar.

balistafreak
2010-08-15, 02:23 AM
Read up Talisman of the Disk. While I can think of a whole lot of times where one would think Hand of the Mage useful and have it not be (seriously, that "object must weigh <5 pounds" clause is killer), a freakin' Floating Disk for 3 hours is amazing.

I'm impressed. I'm also getting one.

Now... what to do with the other 350 gp... :smalltongue:

Rannil
2010-08-15, 02:55 AM
Personally I am big fan of Boots of Stomping, but that's because I had a clever PC doing really out of the box stuff with it. He never used it in combat I believe. Although it would work on low levels.
He used it to break a loose wall,getting the attention of level 1 commoners, annoying a group of goblins, trying to trigger traps, scaring the horses of the bandits and many more.

arrowhen
2010-08-15, 05:08 AM
Hire a lantern-bearer for the next 7 years.