PDA

View Full Version : Dread Necro Charnal Touch

NelKor
2010-08-14, 10:56 PM
I'm curious about the obscure wording of this ability, and if you can or can't combine it with a normal touch spell in a single round, Anyone know if it was errata'd or anything?

zaulsiin
2010-08-15, 02:59 PM
Default action type to use a (Su) ability is a standard action, unless noted otherwise. So unless you have a bunch of standard actions floating around, you're not likely combining it with much but a move and/or swift action.

Reynard
2010-08-15, 04:14 PM
Charnel Touch (Su): Negative energy flows through a dread necromancer’s body, concentrating in her hands. At will, but no more than once per round, she can make a melee touch attack against a living foe that deals 1d8 points of damage, +1 per four class levels. This touch heals undead creatures, restoring 1 hit point per touch, +1 per four class levels.

It wouldn't need to call out "but no more than once per round" if it was a standard action. It actually seems to be a free action.

hamishspence
2010-08-15, 04:22 PM
I figure it's not an action in itself- its part of an attack action- made as a touch attack vs the target's touch AC.

if your BAB is high enough, you could attack twice as a full round action- but Charnel Touch would only trigger once.

FMArthur
2010-08-15, 04:23 PM
Touch spells that stay on your hands until discharged could be discharged on this same touch attack, if that was what you were asking about.

zaulsiin
2010-08-15, 04:40 PM
It wouldn't need to call out "but no more than once per round" if it was a standard action. It actually seems to be a free action.
There are ways to get more than one standard action in a round, so the fact that it specifices "once per round" means little. It does not state an action type, and therefore by RAW it's action type is standard.

However, it seems that my earlier suggestion of having extra standard actions "floating around" was not sound advice. Apologies for that, I was working off of memory.

Also, it should be pointed out that Heroes of Horror received no official errata, so it's really up to the DM to come up with a firm decision for you.

NelKor
2010-08-15, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, Mostly i was just curious if i were to cast say Inflict Light wounds, Would i get both Charnal and Inflict damage in the same round, I know it generally defaults to Standard action for SU abilities but the wording on Charnal makes me think it was intended otherwise, I'll ask my DM what he thinks.

VonDragon
2010-08-15, 04:49 PM
There are ways to get more than one standard action in a round, so the fact that it specifices "once per round" means little. It does not state an action type, and therefore by RAW it's action type is standard.

However, it seems that my earlier suggestion of having extra standard actions "floating around" was not sound advice. Apologies for that, I was working off of memory.

Also, it should be pointed out that Heroes of Horror received no official errata, so it's really up to the DM to come up with a firm decision for you.

the at will proberly means you have infinite uses per day as it usually does

Fouredged Sword
2010-08-15, 06:25 PM
You could cas inflict one round and hold the charge. The next round you can move and use carnal touch, inflicting both effects.

This is nice becuse you don't have to cast in melee.

I will post a sitation for the rules in a bit.

rules here
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm

Escheton
2010-08-15, 08:47 PM
Dipping binder and binding aym gives you resist fire 10, improved sunder, double dmg against objects and more importantly 1d6 firedmg to any attacking you in melee and 1d6 firedmg added to any touchattack you make.

which could be worth it.