PDA

View Full Version : dispelling equipment how does it work?

Qminster
2010-08-15, 12:03 AM
I read the description on the item enchantment + 1 to weapon Dispelling/greater dispelling. how would this work for an epic level campaign?
3/day struck target subject to dispel/ greater dispel magic.

' Targeted Dispel: One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell. You make a dispel check (1d20 + your caster level, maximum +20(greater)) against the spell or against each ongoing spell currently in effect on the object or creature. The DC for this dispel check is 11 + the spell’s caster level. If you succeed on a particular check, that spell is dispelled; if you fail, that spell remains in effect'

does this mean a level 30 warrior with a sword of dispell has no chance in hell of using his sword to dispel a level 12 wizard's cantrip?

PId6
2010-08-15, 12:10 AM
The Dispelling/Greater Dispelling weapon abilities use the caster level of the special ability to determine the power of their Dispel Magic spells. So a Dispelling weapon has a CL of 5 for its Dispel Magic, while a Greater Dispelling weapon has a CL of 15 for its Greater Dispel Magic. The stats of the wielder doesn't figure into this at all; an epic level fighter has the exact same chance of succeeding on a dispel with a Dispelling weapon as a 1st level warrior.

Qminster
2010-08-15, 01:32 AM
that sucks. especially when I'm playing an epic campaign with the other players running their caster levels at 27.
ie I need... nope can't dispell.
level 27 + 10 = 37 target difficulty.
dispelling sword maximum at roll of 1d20 + 15 = 35.

jguy
2010-08-15, 01:53 AM
Well you could make a custom weapon with a higher dispel check on it. Or an Epic Weapon that channels Mordenkain's Disjunction instead of Dispel Magic.