PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Wild Magic Zones

BobVosh
2010-08-15, 12:04 AM
Does anyone have a list for alternative wild magic zone effects? I want to really surprise my group with even more unusual effects. Unfortunatly I am running my WMZ after my friends one from fairly recent ago. I don't really feel like redoing the encounter so this feels like an easier way to switch things up.

BobVosh
2010-08-15, 07:32 AM
Hmm...None?
How about we make this a bit more fun then.

Name 1-5 effects that could occur in a WMZ. I'll name the 3 major boring ones, then 2 fun ones.
1. Spell casts as normal.
2. Spell is half as effective (half all applicable numbers)
3. Spell is twice as effective (double all applicable numbers)
4. Spell casts as normal, target gains invisibility for X rounds, equal to the spell level. If AoE all targets within gain it.
5. Spell fails. You and all targets randomly switch locations. Take shunting damage if applicable.

sentaku
2010-08-15, 07:55 AM
1. Spell effects different target
2. Spell is replaced by a different spell but still effects same target(s), even if it it normally would not be able to.
3. Spell has a chance of summoning a creature. Equal chance that it's helpful or not.

DanReiv
2010-08-15, 09:07 AM
Did that a while ago. Each cast had 20% chance of being replaced by an effect of rods of wonder (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#wonder)

Fun stuff we had :

cure moderate turned into a fireball, almost killed the initial target.
magic missile turned into flesh to stone, ending outright a medusa encounter.
The party paladin turned blue.

And last but not least, party mage activate sudden empower, sudden maximize on a fireburst (if I recall corretly) only to summon an elephant right in the last fight.

Serpentine
2010-08-15, 09:09 AM
Uh... I guess I could give you a copy of mine? It's... big.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-08-15, 11:14 AM
Uh... I guess I could give you a copy of mine? It's... big.

Is it small enough to post here? Sounds like it would be a fun list.

mjames
2010-08-15, 11:32 AM
I always imagine an AWMZ to be kinda like Red Kryptonite on superman. He'll do something really wierd, awesome, or funny.

In fact, I propose using effects that have happened to Superman... will edit with list.

BobVosh
2010-08-15, 02:19 PM
Problem with superman is half of them will make clones of the characters :P

Serpentine: If you could post it, I would love to see it. Use spoiler tags if it is truly that long. :D

Serpentine
2010-08-16, 01:06 PM
I'll try to scan it sometime soon. It's a little world-specific, though - it is literally a band of uncontrolled magic that is being sucked up from a landmass and spewed out between two continents by an epic magic item.