PDA

View Full Version : TGGWAT Round 4: Shoompe Vs One-Shot Steve

nefele
2010-08-15, 03:17 AM
Shoompe Vs One-Shot Steve

You are in your quarters, resting, when the Architect's disembodied voice, soft and androgynous, rings inside your heads.

Shoompe, One-Shot Steve. You have been chosen to fight. Prepare yourselves.

Six seconds later, you are teleported to the Arena (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As43YDXYJ8pFdG5OWGFSRTdDYktqOFBzTEVncDN1O Xc&hl=en&authkey=COW2878C).

Forests aren't supposed to be like that, not even at night. There are shadows everywhere, and not the usual ones. Darker, somehow. The trees and bushes have come to life, writhing their branches and snapping at everything that moves. This isn't right. Groves are supposed to be peaceful. Aren't they?

Bad moon rising over the Druid's Grove.

The Procedure:

Part I (how to begin) :
Agree to play with an opponent OR ask the DM to match you up randomly.
Roll and find out in which Arena you'll play. Study the map.
You have a turn to prepare (one swift and one full-round action OR one swift, one move and one standard action). You don't know yet what your opponent looks like.
You are teleported to a random square of the Arena. (DM rolls secretly.) If you have a mount and you didn't mount it during the prep round, it's on an adjacent square. (If you did mount it, it's obviously between your legs.) If you have an animal companion, it's on an adjacent square. If you have a familiar, or any other sidekick, it's nowhere to be found.
Roll initiative. If both contestants are aware of each other, begin round 1. If a contestant is not aware of his or her opponent, a surprise round applies as normal.

Special : Martial Adepts must choose a default stance and maneuver selection. The stance is considered active and the maneuvers are considered readied even before the preparation round. They can change their selection in between fights (informing the DM), but they must do so BEFORE learning where and with whom they'll fight next. From that moment on, they need to spend actions (swift for a new stance, full-round for Adaptive Style) to change anything.

Part II (DM-supervised duels) :
The DM informs you whether there is Line of Sight.
The first time your opponent becomes aware of you, you must describe your appearance in reasonable detail, as it would seem to an observer with eyes and nothing else (no true seeing, no blindsight etc). If your opponent has any such abilities, it's the DM's job to provide the correct description in secret.
All your rolls will be made inside spoiler tags. Keep private the results that would not be perceived by your opponent (Hide/Move Silently, Spot/Listen, Sense Motive, Knowledge, Martial lore, saves etc). Make public the results that would (attack/damage, grapple/disarm/trip etc). For damage in particular, provide a break-down: how much is Power attack, how much is precision damage, how much is energy damage, whether it's slashing/piercing/bludgeoning, whether it's steel/cold iron/adamantine, etc.
Every time you post an action (assuming you are visible at the time), you must describe it in reasonable detail. If you charge or tumble, you must say so explicitly. Provide coordinates for your exact movement. If you don't know whether you are visible or not, put everything inside spoiler tags, and it's the DM's job to tell your opponent what he sees.
If you need your opponent to roll a save or opposing check, ask him to do so but don't give him the DC. It's the DM's job to tell him what happens if he fails.
Make the DM's job easier: Every time you roll, provide a break-down for all modifiers, including type. E.g., "I attack with -5 from Power Attack, +2 insight from Knowledge Devotion, +7 sacred from Law Devotion, +3 competence from Cunning Insight." Also, always include spoiler tags with your stat block, maneuvers left, and anything else you find appropriate.

Part III (honor system) :
If the DM's absent, you know what to do. Takes out the mystery, but admittedly it's faster...

Shoompe:
Position: B-10/C-11. You stand on light undergrowth, shadowy illumination (20% miss chance).
LoS: You can see One-Shot Steve opposite of you, at AC-10, beyond what appears to be a ring of Entangle. It's an unarmored halfling dual-wielding daggers, with a crossbow hanging from his belt.

One-Shot Steve:
Position: AC-10. You stand on light undergrowth, shadowy illumination (20% miss chance).
LoS: You can see Shoompe opposite of you, at B-10/C-11, beyond what appears to be a ring of Entangle. He is a large half-ogre, dual-wielding whips that seem to be made of light. He wears a breastplate, and an animated shield hovers in front of him.

Roll initiative.

OOC: Since you got this map, I'd like to remind you a relevant TGGWAT houserule: Precision damage CAN be used Vs targets with concealment, provided it's 20% or less.

Lyndworm
2010-08-15, 03:37 AM
Shoompe readies himself for battle.

All:
Shoompe spends his prep-round drawing his whips.

Initiative check:
[roll0]
DM Only:
Stat Block:
Shoompe (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=227911)
Male Chaotic Neutral Half-Ogre Bear Totem Barbarian 15//LA 2/Fighter 12/Exotic Weapon Master 1, Level 15, Init +4, HP 133/133, DR 3/-, Speed 20ft
AC 33, Touch 15, Flat-footed 29, Fort +14, Ref +10, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus +15/+10/+5, Action Points -
2 Large +1 Brilliant Energy Whip Daggers (-) +24|+22 (1d8+11|+6, 19-20/x2)
+1 Large Armor Spikes (-) +24 (1d8+10, 20/x2)
2 Large Masterwork Gauntlets (-) +24|+22 (1d4+10|+5, 20/x2)
+3 Large Breastplate, Large +2 Animated Darkwood Shield (+8 Armor, +4 Shield, +4 Dex, -1 Size, +6 Natural, +2 Deflect)
Abilities Str 30, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 6
Condition None

nefele
2010-08-15, 03:41 AM
Lyndworm:
First, I don't know if you saw it already, but I added a rough description of One-Shot Steve (what you can make out in the darkness) above.

Second, why STR 36 and CON 19? Did you enter rage already?

Lyndworm
2010-08-15, 03:48 AM
DM:
I saw the description; thank you. I assume that PId6 received a similar description of Shoompe.

As for the stats, that was a mistake. I'll fix it right away.

Okeydoke, I fixed the statblock.

PId6
2010-08-15, 01:36 PM
Readying himself for battle, the halfling twirls the daggers in his hand, grinning at the ogre on the other side of the grove.

DM Only:
[roll0]

Spend prep round drawing daggers.
All:
Initiative = 37. I'm guessing I'm up first.

PId6
2010-08-15, 01:56 PM
DM Only:
Knowledge Devotion with Collector of Stories and an inspiration point:

Knowledge: Nature = 24 base + 5 Collector of Stories + 8 Cunning Knowledge
[roll0] vs DC 36 :P

That will be +5/+5.

PId6
2010-08-15, 02:08 PM
As soon as the battle begins, the halfling drops his daggers, pulling out the crossbow at his belt. Grinning, he moves his hands rapidly, faster than the eye can see. Within moments, a barrage of bolts are launched at the ogre still unreacting at the other side of the grove, and each bolt splits in twain in the air, always into to perfect copies of their original self.

DM Only:
Full attack rapid shot with crossbow. He's one range increment away, so that will be -2. My attacks ignore cover and concealment. (IP) indicates spending an inspiration point (for damage, only applies if it hits). If any attack misses, all subsequent attacks are at +4.

[roll=Damage (IP)]1d6+23 [roll3]
[roll4] [roll=Damage (IP)]1d6+23 [roll7]

[roll8] [roll=Damage (IP)]1d6+23 [roll11]
[roll12] [roll=Damage (IP)]1d6+23 [roll15]

[roll16] [roll=Damage (IP)]1d6+23 [roll19]
[roll20] [roll=Damage (IP)]1d6+23 [roll23]

[roll24] [roll=Damage (IP)]1d6+23 [roll27]
[roll28] [roll=Damage (IP)]1d6+23 [roll30] [roll31]

All:
Results of attacks coming soon.

Turn not necessarily over yet after this.

PId6
2010-08-15, 02:11 PM
DM Only:
Weird, I didn't even edit that post. Probably the damage rolls with parenthesis in them screwed things up. I'll leave it there as is for now. Here's a reroll (all spending IP):

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Attack = +30 Base + 5 Knowledge Devotion - 2 Range Increment
Damage = 1d6+10 Base + 5 Knowledge Devotion + 2 Favored Enemy + 6 Cunning Insight
All:
Eight attacks, piercing and magical:

Attack: 41, Damage: 27
Attack: 45, Damage: 24
Attack: 48, Damage: 24
Attack: 42, Damage: 27
Attack: 44, Damage: 28
Attack: 31, Damage: 25
Attack: 43 (Nat 20), Damage: 27, Confirm: 36, Crit Damage: 26
Attack: 36, Damage: 29

If any one of these attacks miss, each subsequent one is at +4 attack (same for confirmation).

If you're still alive after this, tell me which ones hit. Also, turn not necessarily over yet.

nefele
2010-08-15, 02:35 PM
PId6:
Great. And now, I'd like a breakdown for every roll. :smalltongue: E.g. 1d20 + 24 (knowledge) + 5 (collector of stories) + 8 (inspiration, Factotum levels). Attack rolls, damage rolls, the works.

Also, resources. How many IP did you spent, and how many you have left.

Also, I'd like you to include somewhere on your character sheet your build. Level by level breakdown was awesome, but I'd like to know at a glance how many Factotum levels you have, for example.

Also, a stat block. I know the Tangled Web doesn't generate one, so I don't need a big production. Only HP, AC (including Touch and Flat-Footed) and saves.

Apart from the first one (breakdown for your rolls), these are mostly for the next fight, because I don't expect this one to last long. :smalltongue:
Thanks. :)

PId6
2010-08-15, 03:19 PM
DM Only:
Roll breakdowns are edited in now. All "Base" modifier breakdowns are in the sheet (Other Notes section), and are always active. Only the extra modifiers from situational bonuses are calculated here.

Stat block, resources, etc are all at the top of the "Other Notes" section in the sheet. Not quite sure how many inspiration points are left, since that depends on how many of the shots hit. Class levels are added in right below that.

PId6
2010-08-15, 03:24 PM
Testing:
Curious about the roller, so testing here:

1d20+9000

Apparently, parenthesis screws up the roller, but you can edit in the roll afterward with [ roll0].

[roll0]

Lyndworm
2010-08-15, 07:46 PM
The half-ogre falls, riddled with bolts. The only sound he ever made was the thud as his back hit the ground. Shoompe is dead.

All:
Every attack except #6 hit Shoompe, for a total of 212 points of raw damage.

Out of curiosity, how did you manage to reload both hand crossbows without dropping either of them?

PId6
2010-08-15, 07:58 PM
Seeing his opponent fall, the halfing puts his crossbow away and then picks up his daggers once more. Whistling a cheery tune, he finds a nice spot to sit down and waits patiently for the next battle.

There's only one crossbow, not two (and it's light, not hand). However, you can dual wield them using a Spare Hand (MIC). It's a free action to move items between hands, so you can move one xbow to the hand, free action reload, then move it back.

nefele
2010-08-16, 05:46 AM
Lynd:
One-Shot Steve dropped both daggers and took out a single crossbow, not two. With Rapid Reload (and a free hand) he can full attack with it normally.

PId6:
Excellent, thank you.

Match finalized.
Victor: One-Shot Steve.