PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Help

Serpentine
2010-08-15, 06:06 AM
I'm trying to get my spankin' new (crappy) hobby drill working so I can try my hand at making geek jewellery. But, problem: the drill didn't come with bits the right size. I bought new ones but, because it didn't come with them, it didn't come with the right collets, either. So I've got a drill and drill bits but not the part that makes them usable. I've looked on eBay, including the place I bought the drill itself from, and a general search, and I asked the hardware place (who informed me that I have a grinder thing, not a drill, but I can't remember exactly what the difference is), but I can't find any of the right sort and right size collets.
This is the drill. (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Hobby-Drill-Set-Grind-Mill-Engrave-metal-glass-/250542581955?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH)
The collets look like this:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/collets.jpg
and are described as "brass collets".

They're, I think, 6mm diameter at the base. I need ones for 1mm, 1.5mm and/or 2mm drill bits.
Where do I find somewhere to buy them? Getting very annoying!

Erloas
2010-08-15, 09:10 AM
A grinder is usually at a higher speed, and don't really have as much control over the speed. They can be used to drill holes for sure, but they couldn't be used to set a screw like a drill could.

I'm assuming you have the 3 collet sizes listed on the ebay listing? Most grinder bits have a fairly limited number of sizes used for the shanks, where as most drill bits the shank is the same diameter as the bit. That is why drills don't use collets and instead use ...I can't think of the term... the adjustable end to grip any size bit.

If you are drilling into fairly soft materials, woods, plastics, softer metals, then you can probably make some make-shift adjustments and get things working. However if you are drilling anything hard the bits will probably still slip.

Just find the slightly larger collet that you have, and wrap a few layers of tap as tightly as you can around the shank of the bit, put that into the collet and tighten it down quite a bit. The tape adds enough diameter to the shank that it should tighten down pretty good, but if the bit gets stuck it could still slip. Electrical tape is probably the most practical, duck tape is too thick, clear tape and packing tape might work but not as well.

Zeb The Troll
2010-08-17, 02:37 AM
I think the proper term for what you've got is "rotary tool". Like Erloas said, it differs from "drill" in that it has a far higher RPM and, typically, far greater uses because a) you can hold it in your hand and get some decent precision with it that you can't get from a regular drill, and b) there are literally hundreds of attachments that do everything from grinding to drilling to carving to polishing and more.

Here they're often called "dremels" based on the fact that Dremel (http://www.dremel.com) is the most common brand name for it. You might peruse their site and see if they have the kind of thing you need.

Serpentine
2010-08-17, 05:11 AM
Alright, I've emailed the Dremel people about their collets. If that doesn't work, I'll try just wedging it in. Thanks guys.