PDA

View Full Version : that's raysis

dogsx
2010-08-15, 11:16 AM
I'm usually a supporter of this internet comic book but the recent one has hurt me deeply and I no longer care what becomes of the order. Why did--he author, in 2010 no less--decide it was acceptable to have a character refer to a black character as an ape? Does the author not know the long history the world has endured against the black races?

You see Elan's father referring directly to the Captain as nothing less than an ape. I know that this was a continuation of an earlier joke, but I wonder why the author made the character dark skinned. Was it simply to subconsciously connect her with 'ape' thus making the joke strike an even deeper emotional chord?

If this was the case it succeeded with at least one reader. Rich, please do not refer to dark skinned-types as apes in the future.

ilcane87
2010-08-15, 11:19 AM
Oh my... :smallsigh:

Logalmier
2010-08-15, 11:22 AM
I...

You know what, I'm just going to let the Mods handle this one.

aduboo29
2010-08-15, 11:22 AM
Either this is a very well thought out ploy, which I'm going to assume it is, due to the fact you spelt Racist wrong, or..

You're just reading too deeply. She's a Captain in an army based in a desert. She has dark skin. The ape thing was, as stated, just a reference to the whole monkey gag with Elan and Haley.

Really, come on. Touchy much?

cheezewizz2000
2010-08-15, 11:25 AM
When Tarquin said "bathe an ape", he was infact refering to the fact that he would be engaging in carnal relations with another person. This is a continuation of his assumption that when Elan said he would be "giving their pet Orang-Utan a bath", Tarquin assumed he was refering to a euphamism for sex.

Unless you happen to be a troll, in which case, well played, sir. You got me, but the poor spelling of "racist" did tip me off a little.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-08-15, 11:26 AM
Some context, perhaps, from only two strips ago (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0740.html)?

Knaight
2010-08-15, 11:29 AM
I'm reasonably sure this is sarcasm. Among other things the title lacks both capitalization and has a massive spelling error, while the post has relatively minimal errors, none of which are extremely obvious, all of which would get right by a spell checker. Plus, "you see" is a term that tends to show up only in sarcasm or condescension, and the latter can be safely ruled out.

aduboo29
2010-08-15, 11:31 AM
I'm reasonably sure this is sarcasm. Among other things the title lacks both capitalization and has a massive spelling error, while the post has relatively minimal errors, none of which are extremely obvious, all of which would get right by a spell checker. Plus, "you see" is a term that tends to show up only in sarcasm or condescension, and the latter can be safely ruled out.

It would have to be sarcasm. Unecessary sarcasm here only to stir up trouble, which is pretty poor humour in itself - but still sarcasm. Note also that the original post claims he "directly referred" to her as an ape. Which anyone who can read the English language can see he does not.

rewinn
2010-08-15, 11:34 AM
I'm reasonably sure this is sarcasm. Among other things the title lacks both capitalization and has a massive spelling error...

"Raysis" = Ray's sister.

OMG!

The lead character in this comic has siblings all over the world because, you know, adventurers get about!

Knaight
2010-08-15, 11:36 AM
"Raysis" = Ray's sister.

OMG!

The lead character in this comic has siblings all over the world because, you know, adventurers get about!

And apparently he can change the vowel in his name at will. Wild mass guessing time, when are we going to see Ruy, Ryy, Rey, or Riy on the forums?

Logalmier
2010-08-15, 11:39 AM
Yep, I'm pretty sure that the OP was being sarcastic or trolling or something, because if they genuinely thought that the point they were making was valid, then they would have responded to all of our posts right now. It seems that right now they're content to sit and watch the hullabaloo they've created.

On a side note, that is an awesome word, hullabaloo.

Hullabaloo.

Fallbot
2010-08-15, 11:51 AM
To play devil's advocate, the OP may not be a troll. This is their first post from the looks of it and while I can just about see someone creating an account out of misplaced indignation, doing it to troll in a way that isn't very relevant or even funny seems less likely.

Yeah, people should say hullabaloo more often.

Knaight
2010-08-15, 11:53 AM
Yep, I'm pretty sure that the OP was being sarcastic or trolling or something, because if they genuinely thought that the point they were making was valid, then they would have responded to all of our posts right now. It seems that right now they're content to sit and watch the hullabaloo they've created.

Well, its only been about 40 minutes, so that at least is questionable. Still, another small drop of evidence.

And yes, hullabaloo warrants more frequent use.

rewinn
2010-08-15, 11:54 AM
And apparently he can change the vowel in his name at will. Wild mass guessing time, when are we going to see Ruy, Ryy, Rey, or Riy on the forums?Dang! a perfectly good joke, spoiled by one small vowel.:smallredface:

I Need More Coffee Before Joking!

Bongos
2010-08-15, 12:34 PM
I thought his name was Roy? Who is Ray?

I concur, hullabaloo!

Kish
2010-08-15, 12:36 PM
A member of an adventuring party Durkon used to belong to. Bald fighter. Got weirdly grouchy whenever anyone said his name.

NerfTW
2010-08-15, 12:42 PM
someone creating an account ... to troll in a way that isn't very relevant or even funny seems less likely.

Really? Are you new to the internet?

Fallbot
2010-08-15, 12:50 PM
Really? Are you new to the internet?

Just an optimist I guess. With a name like that though... :smallsigh:

Cealocanth
2010-08-15, 12:50 PM
I'm usually a supporter of this internet comic book but the recent one has hurt me deeply and I no longer care what becomes of the order. Why did--he author, in 2010 no less--decide it was acceptable to have a character refer to a black character as an ape? Does the author not know the long history the world has endured against the black races?

You see Elan's father referring directly to the Captain as nothing less than an ape. I know that this was a continuation of an earlier joke, but I wonder why the author made the character dark skinned. Was it simply to subconsciously connect her with 'ape' thus making the joke strike an even deeper emotional chord?

If this was the case it succeeded with at least one reader. Rich, please do not refer to dark skinned-types as apes in the future.

I'm afraid you failed your Wisdom check there, friend. He is using the term "bathing an ape" because he thinks that "washing the monkey" is what kids use these days to mean doing something suggestive with someone else.

It is not the person that is the ape, but a part of the person that is. The suggestive part that we're not alowed to talk about here. *wink wink, nudge nudge*

originalpimp
2010-08-15, 01:21 PM
I only have one thing to say about this thread: Hullabaloo.

That is all.

Paperbag4
2010-08-15, 02:11 PM
And apparently he can change the vowel in his name at will. Wild mass guessing time, when are we going to see Ruy, Ryy, Rey, or Riy on the forums?

You will only sometimes see Ryy.

Gift Jeraff
2010-08-15, 02:37 PM
You know, technically everyone posting on this forum is an ape.

I hope.

Roland St. Jude
2010-08-15, 02:46 PM
Sheriff: The character in the recent strip is not Ray's sis, and the OP is wrong to say so. Why would the OP suggest in 2010 that all dark-skinned comic characters look alike? Doesn' the OP know about the troubled past of comic characters being drawn alike?

The Giant
2010-08-15, 11:40 PM
Sheriff: The character in the recent strip is not Ray's sis, and the OP is wrong to say so. Why would the OP suggest in 2010 that all dark-skinned comic characters look alike? Doesn' the OP know about the troubled past of comic characters being drawn alike?

This is going to stay locked, but since I take this topic fairly seriously, rI'm answering anyway.

The opening post is the stupidest, least accurate complaint I think I have ever heard about the comic, insofar as it ignores the actual content of what was written in favor of righteous indignation. Certainly it's one of the Top 10 stupidest.

Chimpanzees are apes as well, and most have light skin. Also, as mentione by some other posters, all humans, ever, are apes. Calling a human an ape is like calling them bilaterally symmetrical; it's not really an insult so much as it is true. It's not my job as an author to keep abreast of scientifically-inaccurate racial slurs that you may have heard elsewhere.

Just to be 100% clear and kill any bit of the joke that is left remaining, the "ape" being referred to was the woman's genitalia, not the woman herself. So if anything, it was potentially sexist, not racist.

Sorry, I meant to say "secksis".