PDA

View Full Version : Place yer bets: Is Tarquin helping Doom or Tears?

JonestheSpy
2010-08-15, 01:05 PM
So, as many folks have pointed out, Tarquin never said which side those 500 dragoons marching to siege of the Free City of Doom will be fighting on, though happy to take advantage of the ambassador's gratitude.

On one hand, he's evil, he was deliberately ambiguous, it all just seems to point to a betrayal and an malicious laugh when the morning comes.

On the other hand, Tarquin seems to enjoy the 'gallant' role, and his motus operandi seems to be more along the line of serial murder monogamy than one-night stands. And I can totally see him making military decisions purely on the basis of said decisions helping him get laid.

So, 10 gp says he's actually helping the City o' Doom, but only even odds.

sihnfahl
2010-08-15, 01:28 PM
He's helping himself.

He's going to let the Doom folks get a beating, then save the day by killing the Weepies. But only after both sides take enough of a beating that HIS armies won't have any trouble with either of them for a while.

Or weaken them enough that he can take over. :smallamused:

JustIgnoreMe
2010-08-15, 01:32 PM
I'll take that action. 10 gps on him backing the Weepies.

Lemur Bear
2010-08-15, 01:40 PM
Or weaken them enough that he can take over. :smallamused:

10 gp on Tarquin helping Doom and turncoating. I am just saying the he waited seven months to send any help at all at least. Doom might have been petitioning for longer since some besieged can be foreseen. Wouldn't be too hard to take out the Tears soldiers and then conquer a nearly defeated city. Besides, psychologically, his dragoons just defeated the people who have been pwning the city for seven months so as a city, I'd be unwilling to try to make a move against them.

TheNerdMiester
2010-08-15, 01:56 PM
But remember, Tarquin is lawful , lawful evil, but he'll still help tears BECAUSE he's lawful.

TheNerdMiester
2010-08-15, 01:57 PM
20 gp on Tears.

Kish
2010-08-15, 01:59 PM
But remember, Tarquin is lawful , lawful evil, but he'll still help tears BECAUSE he's lawful.
How would helping the Empire of Tears be the Lawful thing to do?

TerrickTerran
2010-08-15, 02:02 PM
He'll probably end up working both sides. That tends to be the way these things go.

Weimann
2010-08-15, 02:07 PM
I'm still not convinced he's actually dispatched any troops at all. What's to say he didn't simply see an opening to make the ambassador pleasantly surprised and let's continue this discussion in his chambers?

Okay, his alignment, but I'm hesitant to call on that argument.

However, playing with the thought that he has actually sent troops out, I would think he'd assess the situation then and there before giving further orders. I don't know enough about the political situation to say what it'll be right now, and whether or not the ambassador has put out yet may also play a role.

If I was to take a wild guess... I'd say he'd help the Free City of Doom. Grateful allies are useful in more ways than one.

TheNerdMiester
2010-08-15, 02:08 PM
Remember in strip 57 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0057.html)?
:nale: "Of course, I'm lawful evil, so I see no reason not to honor my contract with Xykon and kill you." (Strip 57, panel 7).
Evil not having an effect, he told Xykon he would kill them and so he honored his world and tried to kill them. Tarquin being the say, he would need to honor his word and help Tears. Make that 30 gp on Tears.

TheNerdMiester
2010-08-15, 02:09 PM
*same not say

Kish
2010-08-15, 02:09 PM
Remember in strip 57 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0057.html)?
:nale: "Of course, I'm lawful evil, so I see no reason not to honor my contract with Xykon and kill you." (Strip 57, panel 7).
Evil not having an effect, he told Xykon he would kill them and so he honored his world and tried to kill them. Tarquin being the say, he would need to honor his word and help Tears. Make that 30 gp on Tears.

The woman he's talking to is from the Free City of Doom. He just implied he had sent help to Doom, against the Empire of Tears.

Edit: Also, there's an edit button.

TheNerdMiester
2010-08-15, 02:14 PM
The woman he's talking to is from the Free City of Doom. He just implied he had sent help to Doom, against the Empire of Tears.

What? where did he say that?

Also, I didn't see that. Thank you.

Damaris
2010-08-15, 03:24 PM

He doesn't say it (that's the whole point!), but he lets her believe that's what he means.

I say he attacks Tears first and Doom second. Or would the opposite be more effective? *knows nothing about this kind of thing*

Kish
2010-08-15, 03:27 PM
...If you're not confusing which nation the woman is from, perhaps I should go back one step, and ask: Where are you getting that Tarquin promised the Empire of Tears anything?

sihnfahl
2010-08-15, 03:32 PM
I say he attacks Tears first and Doom second. Or would the opposite be more effective? *knows nothing about this kind of thing*
He waits until Tears tires their forces and expends their spells for the day; this weakens both Tears and Doom (after all, they've been holding off Tears for a while successfully). Then his folks will sweep in and kill / capture / drive off Tears forces. When the Doomies let them in, the Dragoons, still fresh, annex.

Oh, and while Tears' army is busy with Doom, the remainder of Tarquin's forces takes on their Capital.

super dark33
2010-08-15, 03:33 PM
well, in star wars a simialar thing happend?

TheNerdMiester
2010-08-15, 03:40 PM
...If you're not confusing which nation the woman is from, perhaps I should go back one step, and ask: Where are you getting that Tarquin promised the Empire of Tears anything?

He's lawful, he told her he would help HER COUNTRY and, because lawful people are honorable, he will do that... first at least... 30 gp on Tears, 5 extra he then continues and tries to takes Doom. (whether Tears helps him or not is up)

Weimann
2010-08-15, 03:45 PM
He's lawful, he told her he would help HER COUNTRY and, because lawful people are honorable, he will do that... first at least... 30 gp on Tears, 5 extra he then continues and tries to takes Doom. (whether Tears helps him or not is up)Just to make this perfectly clear:

The woman we see in the comic, Captain Amun-Zora, is an ambassador of the Free City of Doom. Tarquin promised to help HER COUNTRY, that is, the Free City of Doom, and you state that he is likely to do hold his word since he is lawful.

Why do you then wager 30 gp on him helping Tears?

Kashkalgar
2010-08-15, 03:54 PM
Yer all wrong. Tarquin is 'all fired up' from seeing his son's girlfriend, and he made up on the spur of the moment those 500 dragons to get laid. He is going to have the captain murdered at dawn the next day.

drengnikrafe
2010-08-15, 03:58 PM
I, too, believe he made the 500 dragoons up. I believe he did that more because he is trying to impress his son. My opinion of this is either it will never come up again, or when it does come up it will be that Elan learns the truth about what his dad did, and now has to go back and kill/harm/question him.

enarch3t
2010-08-15, 04:05 PM
Tarquin never says he'll help. He says he has final say and that he is sending 500 dragoons to "join the battle." He deliberately never says what side, or any side. She might assume those dragoons are to aid the free city of doom. However Tarquin never said it, you can infer that from his actions but that could be (and would be I think) a mistake.

Damaris
2010-08-15, 04:07 PM
Yer all wrong. Tarquin is 'all fired up' from seeing his son's girlfriend, and he made up on the spur of the moment those 500 dragons to get laid. He is going to have the captain murdered at dawn the next day.

Wouldn't *that* be non lawful though? The one thing actually did say was that he'd join the battle.

Prowl
2010-08-15, 04:09 PM
If you actually think he's got 500 dragons at his command you're not paying much attention...

sihnfahl
2010-08-15, 04:11 PM
He is going to have the captain murdered at dawn the next day.
Of course, he did so in front of a whole bunch of folks he wants to keep as allies, so ...

Darth Hunterix
2010-08-15, 04:15 PM
9.(9) gp that 500 dragoons are going to conquer Doomies, and another 1500 are marching towards the capital city of Tears (for quite obvious reason).

factotum
2010-08-15, 04:27 PM
If you actually think he's got 500 dragons at his command you're not paying much attention...

And you're paying even less, since it's DRAGOONS, not dragons. (A dragoon is a type of light cavalry troop, if I remember my history).

rewinn
2010-08-15, 04:35 PM
The phrasing of and question mark after: "Oh, I'd say tomorrow? Dawnish?" suggests that T is indeed being tricky.

He didn't actually say any troops were doing anything; literally, he said that he would say "tomorrow? Dawnish?" which in fact he did say.

The Ambassador seems to understand him differently. "I would say..." can also mean that he's estimating their time of arrival, and perhaps he is, but he may be just playing monkey games - after all, he can't let Elan have more success in that area.

The_JJ
2010-08-15, 04:43 PM
And you're paying even less, since it's DRAGOONS, not dragons. (A dragoon is a type of light cavalry troop, if I remember my history).

Sort of. The idea originally was that they would ride into battle and then fight on foot or on horses. Sort of like the mounted/armored/airborne infantry of today, use vehicles to get into position quickly and then fight from there.

Later it sort of evolved into a straight cavalry role so... yeah. I dunno.

Lord Loss
2010-08-15, 04:46 PM
I think that no troops have been dispatched by Tarquin...

Darth Hunterix
2010-08-15, 04:51 PM
Sort of. The idea originally was that they would ride into battle and then fight on foot or on horses. Sort of like the mounted/armored/airborne infantry of today, use vehicles to get into position quickly and then fight from there.

Later it sort of evolved into a straight cavalry role so... yeah. I dunno.

You are 100% correct. They were sort of swiss army knife - good for any use.

sihnfahl
2010-08-15, 04:52 PM
He didn't actually say any troops were doing anything; literally, he said that he would say "tomorrow? Dawnish?" which in fact he did say.
Yes, he did. He said "I have already dispatched 500 dragoons to join the battle..."

He knew the request would be made at the meeting.

TheBlackShadow
2010-08-15, 04:55 PM
I think the troops are going to "help" the Free City, because Tarquin will then be able to dominate them, partly through superior arms, since the Free City's armies have been weakened by their fight with the Weepies, and also because he'll be able to threaten them with relinquishing military support later on, for the same reasons. Also, if the Empire of Blood is seen to be "helping" against an expansionist neighbour, all the other small, vulnerable nations will flock to his banner for protection. With the force of the entire region behind him, Tarquin could easily crush or intimidate the Weepies into submission, while keeping the smaller nations under his thumb.

Comparatively, if Tarquin splits lots with the Weepies, however things turn out they'll be equal in strength, and given the Western Continent's history that will only lead to a destructive conflict that'll likely destroy them both.

I can see the Empire becoming a major power in the region if Tarquin plays his cards right.. :smalleek:

Kashkalgar
2010-08-15, 05:29 PM
Wouldn't *that* be non lawful though? The one thing actually did say was that he'd join the battle.

edit: knee-jerk answered the wrong objection to my idea, disregard
And did not see the extra 'o'... 500 dragons would be a bit much now that I think about it

sihnfahl
2010-08-15, 05:41 PM
I can see the Empire becoming a major power in the region if Tarquin plays his cards right.. :smalleek:
It already is a major power in the region. If you recall the map, it's the largest country on the southern part of the continent.

TheBlackShadow
2010-08-15, 05:48 PM
It already is a major power in the region. If you recall the map, it's the largest country on the southern part of the continent.

In that case.... Well, lets not dwell on that.

blackspeeker
2010-08-15, 06:00 PM
I think the plan is to take the free city of doom for the empire of blood, it looks like it would be a port city: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html

loogieboogie
2010-08-15, 06:17 PM
I think that The Giant set it up so he could do whatever he wants with the strips to come.

If I'm wrong about that, which is, I guess, probable, I believe tarquin is gonna help the doomies. I dunno, but the lawful argument is pretty good.

Wikiality
2010-08-15, 06:20 PM
100gp and five fine camels on the Empire of Blood and Reptilia, with the aid of elven allies, annexing the Empire of Tears and the Free City of Doom. Naturally Reptilia will probably double in size, while the Empire of Blood will gain a major port city and leverage against the Empire of Sweat.

I would also put a side bet of 50gp that Tarquin is trying to secure Girard's Gate for his, and his other ally's, use.

DreadArchon
2010-08-15, 06:53 PM
"He made that up on the spot" seems most likely to me.

"Neither--he's attacking both" seems like the next-best answer.

In any case, he's not a creature of Elemental Law, like Qarr. He can lie all he wants... he just doesn't usually want to. :smallamused:

sihnfahl
2010-08-15, 07:34 PM
I would also put a side bet of 50gp that Tarquin is trying to secure Girard's Gate for his, and his other ally's, use.

I wouldn't take that bet. Given how quickly nations change hands on the Continent, he could have chosen a nation closer to the Gate... the Empire of Sweat seems to be closer...

In any case, he's not a creature of Elemental Law, like Qarr. He can lie all he wants... he just doesn't usually want to. :smallamused:
He lies whenever it's convenient.

Oh, sorry, they're not lies. He's just not telling the entire truth. :smallamused:

veti
2010-08-15, 07:41 PM
I'm sure Tarquin is familiar with Machiavelli's writings - probably co-wrote them. So he'll know that it's always the correct policy to help a weaker neighbour against an expansionist one. The reason being, it's a very cost-effective way to weaken the stronger power.

What happens next would obviously depend on how the battle to lift the siege of Doom goes. Best case is they rout the Weepies, then stay on to help with the reconstruction and, incidentally, install a new government. Worst case is 500 dragoons get wiped out and the city of Doom falls, in which case he can spend the next few years happily supporting enough guerrilla activity to keep the Weepies thoroughly tied down until they're worn out.

Speculation: It's possible that Tarquin's sudden decision to act now, after seven months of waiting, is related to Elan's appearance. Perhaps he has in mind to give Elan the throne of Doom, as a puppet ruler, in which case he might get more puppets than he's bargaining for... Or perhaps one of the two sides is closely connected to Girard. Time will tell.

Lemur Bear
2010-08-15, 08:16 PM
100gp and five fine camels on the Empire of Blood and Reptilia, with the aid of elven allies, annexing the Empire of Tears and the Free City of Doom. Naturally Reptilia will probably double in size, while the Empire of Blood will gain a major port city and leverage against the Empire of Sweat.

Strategically speaking, I would bet that after defeating the Tear soldiers that were attacking Doom and then conquering Doom that he would more likely let Reptilia keep the Empire of Tears. You don't really want that much land bordering water. It is reasonably hard to protect your borders on land, but a fleet of ships can easily land anywhere with a beach unless you have a port at every single one.

Additionally, as I commented in the thread about the comic, I have a feeling that Girard is hiding in the Free City of Doom under Tarquin's advice and since Elan wants to talk to him, he had to go make sure it doesn't get razed or at least not in a fashion that he cannot control. Part of me believes that Tarquin will take the OOTS to Doom and they'll walk up to a shop blatantly called "Girard's Magic Shoppe" or, for the sake of hilarity, "Drarig's Magic Shoppe."

TigerHunter
2010-08-15, 09:05 PM
He's an Evil character making an ambiguous statement that no one in the comic thought to question. He's totally going to betray them.

Ron Miel
2010-08-15, 09:42 PM
Yes, he did. He said "I have already dispatched 500 dragoons to join the battle..."

He knew the request would be made at the meeting.

Did anyone else read that as "500 dragons" ?

Jothki
2010-08-15, 10:16 PM
He's going to help Doom, simply because he couldn't resist having a reinforcing army show up right as dawn breaks. It's too good an opportunity not to pass up.

golentan
2010-08-15, 10:55 PM
I'm guessing he'd aid doom, on the grounds that puppet states and/or inflicting pyrrhic losses on the enemy is more useful than aiding a strong aggressive military which may turn on you. Though if he's backing his bases with Tears as a fallback should Blood fall and he need new employment, that obviously tips the scales.

By my count, btw, the total in the main pot to 169 GP and 5 camels, which is approximately $66,897.02 U.S. at current pricing (assuming 200 per camel, cost of camels varies wildly based on quality).

You people take this comic far more seriously than I do. :smalltongue:

GSFB
2010-08-15, 11:38 PM
I will wager 400 quatloons on the human! Oh, wait, wrong meme... umm... something something dark side!

Elemental_Elf
2010-08-16, 01:13 AM
My bet is Tarquin is going to help himself to Amun-Zora's pleasure this eve, then when the sun rises gleefully watch as his Dragoons join the siege against the Free City of Doom! :smallbiggrin:

The Succubus
2010-08-16, 04:24 AM
I wager a night in Amun-Zora's bed that Tarquin is helping himself.

SoC175
2010-08-16, 05:31 AM
He'll be helping neither. He's not helping his side and none other.

On a casual glance it will seem as if he helps Doom, because Dragoons are not suited to besiege or storm a city, so they'll drive of the army of Tears.

However that only means that both Doom and Tears lost. Doom's military might was crushed in being besieged and Tear's will be crushed once the Dragoons lift the siege.

To aid Tear would spell the end of Doom, but then Tear would have gotten the desired result of their military investment and be strengthened.

By helping Doom he only makes sure that both Tear and Dooms are weakened from the war and not one of them emerges stronger

squidbreath
2010-08-16, 06:28 AM
Iirc, Tears has less land than Doom back on that map, so he'll probably be moving in on Tears since they're a bit easier to deal with. (but only after Doom exhausts more of their forces)

Poppy Appletree
2010-08-16, 07:14 AM

I agree - with the Free City of Doom vulnerable, the Empire of Blood will be able to take over without a problem. Then, with the position they've secured, and the location of Reptilia, the coalition of Reptilia and the Empire of Blood (and maybe the elves, as you say), would be able to close on the capital of the Empire of Tears, requiring yet another round of mapmaking.

@squidbreath: The Empire of Tears have a lot of land (read: desert), but only seem to have one major city in all.

Deliverance
2010-08-16, 07:33 AM
Iirc, Tears has less land than Doom back on that map, so he'll probably be moving in on Tears since they're a bit easier to deal with. (but only after Doom exhausts more of their forces)
You can't really reason about the might of a state by the area they claim on a map without knowledge of population and economy.

The Free City of Doom sure sounds like a city-state, but it could be the largest metropolis on the continent and of vital military and economical importance with the best natural harbour and the major point for trade in eastern part of the continent or it could just as easily be a struggling city-state holding out because the author decided to give it strong fortifications. Or this being where it is, it could be either of the two or anything in between and was conquered 7-8 months ago with the conqueror exhausting too many of his resources in the conquest. :p

It is very nicely set up geographically to be the natural focus point of dominance games between the current empires of blood, sweat, and tears. :D It only lacks an empire of toil to complete the set.

The only thing we really know is that currently and for the last 7 months the empire of tears has had the upper hand vs. the FCoD.

Poppy Appletree
2010-08-16, 07:40 AM
You can't really reason about the might of a state by the area they claim on a map without knowledge of population and economy.

Judging from the size of its city dot, though, it appears comparable to the capitals of Blood and Tears - Reptilia, however, has no major cities marked within its territory, which could be what they're getting from this alliance.

It is very nicely set up geographically to be the natural focus point of dominance games between the current empires of blood, sweat, and tears. :D It only lacks an empire of toil to complete the set.

Wouldn't Toil is the theoretical coalition of Blood, Sweat and Tears? :smallwink:

137beth
2010-08-16, 08:22 AM

Yea, but since he didn't specify which side he would be helping, he is free to help either side without breaking his promise:smallsmile:

Kish
2010-08-16, 08:57 AM
Yea, but since he didn't specify which side he would be helping, he is free to help either side without breaking his promise:smallsmile:
And--the main thing the person you're responding to seems not to grasp--the side Tarquin implied he'd help is the Free City of Doom, not the Empire of Tears, so placing ever-increasing bets on Tarquin helping the Empire of Tears because of believing Tarquin will honor that implication is puzzling indeed.

Scarlet Knight
2010-08-16, 10:19 AM
Doom sent an attractive diplomat who can provide "a cave" for Tarquin's "dwarf". Tears did not ( as far as we know). Like all bribes, she may tip the scales in her nation's favor this evening, if Tarquin balances benefit to risk when making his decision (everything else being equal).

Nilan8888
2010-08-16, 11:26 AM

Neat fact: "Dragoons" is where we get the common term of "Goons" from. They were a light cavalry unit but came into effect somewhere around 1700-1800 or so, and were considered "lower-class" cavalry, so to speak.

Anyway, I think it's still yet to be seen if this segment has any further bearing on the plot than establishing Tarquin's character. If that's the case, then it's possibly up for grabs as to what he's going to do -- he might even try to leverage his men into a counter-proposal from the EoT, forcing a hefty payment out of them in order not to engage in the battle.

If the plot is headed in the direction of this conflict though, probably more likely he will just help out the City o' Doom. On the face of it the EoT is the more formidible rival so letting the city fall to them would just be letting the EoT get stronger.

But there's all sorts of mitigating factors we might not know about yet. And again, this might be the one and only reference we ever see to any of it.

the_tick_rules
2010-08-16, 12:00 PM
Hard to say, we don't know anything about the other two sides.

hamishspence
2010-08-16, 01:14 PM
Neat fact: "Dragoons" is where we get the common term of "Goons" from. They were a light cavalry unit but came into effect somewhere around 1700-1800 or so, and were considered "lower-class" cavalry, so to speak.

I wonder where the term "dragooned" for "coerced into joining" comes from- did the dragoons have an equivalent of the press-gang?

As in "I've been dragooned into helping them"

Joerg
2010-08-16, 01:18 PM
We have too little information by far to really discuss Tarquins strategies.

Are 500 soldiers few or many? How many soldiers does Tears have overall? How many of them are besieging Doom? How many does Blood have overall?

From the joy of the ambassador, we can only conclude that 500 dragoons would be enough to break the siege.

Further, what other alliances are there? What other wars are there? If Blood sends many soldiers to Doom (or Tears), will they be vulnerable in turn to an attack from a third nation? If they help one or the other, will a third nation feel compelled to join the war, either to be on the winner's side, or to prevent a Blood hegemony?

Finally, one could even speculate that Tarquin is really on the payroll of Girard and his goal is to keep the continent in permanent chaos. Then, he'd probably help the weaker side, which seems to be Doom.

Nilan8888
2010-08-16, 01:43 PM
I wonder where the term "dragooned" for "coerced into joining" comes from- did the dragoons have an equivalent of the press-gang?

As in "I've been dragooned into helping them"

It's been a while since I took the course but IIRC, that's sort of a seperate thing in terms of being press-ganged INTO JOINING the dragoons. However getting "dragooned" into something in general is NOT seperate.

Basically Dragoons were often given the sort of "cleanup" work of forcing a local populace into doing something and cooercing people, something that would be beneath or not in the general 'job description' the work of other soldiers, maybe even infantry but certainly your higher-order cavalry.

But press gangs were more of a recruiting concept, probably going back a bit earlier. I think when the Dragoons came calling they weren't really interested in you joining up -- particularly later on when the concept of a standing profressional military came into being. Forcing someone into service and then giving them a horse was probably a recipe for getting yourself a whack of deserters that would be really difficult to track down. But in terms of just generally "dragooning" you into something like providing room and board for an invading army: heck, yeah.

That might be different depending on the conflict, though. Who knows: that might have been the case if we're talking about an army putting down a native rebellion. But probably not so much if it was an army invading foreign territory.

pendell
2010-08-16, 02:28 PM
I wager that Tarquin really does mean to help the Free City of Doom. For two reasons:

1) Political. Providing them assistance against an enemy makes them a de facto ally and subordinate of the Empire of Blood. Within a year they'll be part of the Empire of Blood in all but name. If the Empire survives for a longer period of time, they'll actually *be* part of the Empire in a couple decades.

Students of ancient history will recall that many Roman provinces came to be conquered because one side or the other in a dynastic dispute asked for Roman help, and then the Romans wouldn't leave after the battle was won. See: Herod the Great.

2) Personal. In a continent where empires rise and fall on a yearly basis, it does NOT do to betray prospective future employers. If he helps them now, they may be willing to offer the 'savior of the city' shelter if he's on the run a year or two from now. OTOH, the more he gains a reputation for crooked dealing, the less likely he'll be able to find employment in any army. The prospects of a lone outlaw when every man's hand is against him is bleak indeed.

Possibly one of the reasons he's survived so long and had such a long career is because he IS lawful and keeps the letter of his obligations.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

TheNerdMiester
2010-08-16, 02:42 PM
I stand by my belief that Tarquin being lawful will make him send to Doom. If he attacks Doom or Tears after it is over, who knows? 50 gp, 5 if he attacks tears after, and I like your explanation Brian.

kyoryu
2010-08-16, 03:34 PM
Well, here's my thoughts.

Question 1: Is Tarquin telling the truth about the 500 troops?

Well, he either is, or he isn't. Since he's evil, we can probably assume that there's some gain to be had.

If he isn't sending troops, lying gets him some, um, 'dwarf time.' However, that will likely end when the truth is discovered, and will certainly anger the ambassador - possibly to the point of war. That seems like a lot of potential long-term badness for just a little bit of short-term goodness.

Additionally, since he's *lawful* evil, it's likely that he won't *directly* lie if he can avoid it - but manipulating the truth or leading people to false conclusions without *directly* lying is kinda one of the big tactics of lawful evil types.

So, I'm pretty sure that there are troops on the way.

Question 2: What will the troops do?

The naive reading of what Tarquin says would be that they're going to aid the Free City of Doom - however, he doesn't actually say this, and seems to be very careful in his wording to *not* ever say this, or to even in fact *acknowledge* an alliance between the Empire of Blood and the Doomies.

Well, Tarquin's evil, so we can assume he's doing it for gain. He's also the de facto ruler of the Empire of Blood.

By the information from the Doomish ambassador, we can conclude that 500 dragoons is a lot (more than enough to end the threat), and that the Free City of Doom is in pretty dire straits and about to fall otherwise.

For the troops to aid the Weepies seems unnecessary. It buys him a little good will, but that's it. He could probably get the same level of goodwill from the Weepies by just agreeing to not get involved in the fight. So I'm going to assume that the troops are going to wipe out the Weepies.

Which leaves an exhausted force of Doomies, and (likely) a strong contingent of Blood Dragoons (since the ambassador's reaction seems to suggest that 500 dragoons would handily wipe out the Weepies).

Since everyone seems to think that there's a Star Wars shtick in this storyline - "We have altered the deal. Pray we do not alter it further." There's not a lot of incentive for him to just quietly retreat. That said, he'd probably be (in the greater scheme) a relatively *benevolent* dictator given his apparent Machiavellian streak. He may even phrase it as leaving troops to "ensure the future security" of the Free City of Doom, and just gradually take over as time goes on. I think this is less likely, though, as it would not be nearly as dramatic.

He gets to annex the (formerly) Free City of Doom at a low cost (since the Weepies did the hard work of sieging for seven months), comes across to the Doomies as, if not a hero, then at least a better alternative than the Weepies would have been, and gets to see the military forces of a rival country weakened, leaving him the option to continue by attacking them or not.

TheNerdMiester
2010-08-16, 04:02 PM
To kyoryu: What if, after he finished helping FCoD, he continued on and got their help, or convinced them, to take EoT and turn and take FCoD, or various combinations of that scenario? Make it 30 gp on him helping Doom.

kyoryu
2010-08-16, 04:49 PM
To kyoryu: What if, after he finished helping FCoD, he continued on and got their help, or convinced them, to take EoT and turn and take FCoD, or various combinations of that scenario? Make it 30 gp on him helping Doom.

Oh, I absolutely think he'll kick some Tears butt before anything else happens.

Whether it makes more sense to dominate Doom or not probably boils down to two questions:

1) Is Blood capable of taking out Tears?
2) Would the process of doing so weaken Blood enough that someone else could come in and conquer Blood?

If both of those have favorable answers, then sure, letting Doom remain independent is a possibility - they're not the prize, and it turns into a cost/benefit analysis.

But we also have the Laws of Drama, and most people seem to be betting on Tarquin pulling a face-heel turn (well, so much as a known evil character can, anyway).

"Helping" the smaller (city, not empire) Doom, implying an alliance where there is none, and sleeping with their ambassador to "celebrate" a non-existent alliance - and then crushing Doom into submission is a pretty big dramatic point. Continuing on to conquer a (likely) evil empire? Not so much.

Toper
2010-08-16, 04:58 PM
He's an Evil character making an ambiguous statement that no one in the comic thought to question. He's totally going to betray them.
Sure... unless Zora's really good in the sack.

kyoryu
2010-08-16, 05:02 PM
Sure... unless Zora's really good in the sack.

Nah, that just makes the betrayal more epic.

veti
2010-08-16, 05:36 PM
I really don't believe Tarquin is going to "betray" Doom. There's just no gain in it.

What I think the dragoons will do, after seeing off the forces of the Empire, is stick around to "help with reconstruction". A part of which will, of course, involve installing new leadership in Doom - the old set being thoroughly discredited by allowing their city to be brought to such dire straits in the first place. (Seven months of siege is apt to make the people pretty damn' disenchanted with their leadership.)

In the circumstances, this will naturally be someone friendly to Tarquin's interests. (Speculation) Someone like his son, for instance.

mootoall
2010-08-16, 05:42 PM
Who's to say he hadn't already made a (lawful) deal with Tears, and was (kind of) outright telling the ambassador from Doom that he was sending the dragoons (to help the Weepies)?

TheNerdMiester
2010-08-16, 08:38 PM
What I think the dragoons will do, after seeing off the forces of the Empire, is stick around to "help with reconstruction".... involve installing new leadership in Doom

Could he make himself or elan the a new leader(s)?

AtopTheMountain
2010-08-16, 09:19 PM
I really don't believe Tarquin is going to "betray" Doom. There's just no gain in it.

What I think the dragoons will do, after seeing off the forces of the Empire, is stick around to "help with reconstruction". A part of which will, of course, involve installing new leadership in Doom - the old set being thoroughly discredited by allowing their city to be brought to such dire straits in the first place. (Seven months of siege is apt to make the people pretty damn' disenchanted with their leadership.)

In the circumstances, this will naturally be someone friendly to Tarquin's interests. (Speculation) Someone like his son, for instance.

...Oh my. I really like this. Lots of opportunities for great stuff in this particular epilectic tree.

Scarlet Knight
2010-08-16, 10:07 PM
Nah, that just makes the betrayal more epic.

"Sex and the Art of Diplomacy" by Anthony N. Cleopatra

:smallwink:

TriForce
2010-08-17, 05:58 AM
im saying he will marry the ambassador after helping her (wich is the reason he will help her) and make her nation join the empire of blood, after that, he will kill her, and look for a new wife :P

Barlen
2010-08-17, 08:00 AM

Thats probably what he was grooming Nale for till Nale got greedy. Elan (alone) would be a bad choice. Elan + Haley might be interesting

BadAndyMk3
2010-08-17, 10:45 AM
My bet is that the dragoons will break the seige, the doomies will greatfully let their heroic allies into the city, and once the dragoons are positioned at all the most strategicly important locations, Tarquin will begin to negotiate the subject of payment.

Nilan8888
2010-08-17, 10:56 AM

In the circumstances, this will naturally be someone friendly to Tarquin's interests. (Speculation)

Someone like his son, for instance.

That would be an AWESOME twist. Nice call!

Imagine how that would just drive Roy nuts.

The only thing complicating it would be how Tarquin would be ably to persuade them from moving off thier Quest -- he'd probably have to tell them Girard once frequented the FCoD... which could actually be the truth.

Imagine that once the entire Gladiator business is sorted out that Tarquin tells them Girard used to have his lair in FCoD (that sounds more or less like the sort of place Girard would go... emphasis on "free"). Then we'd maybe enter an arc where we see the takeover happening subtely with Elan and Haley at the center of it all while the rest of the order is going all "Indiana Jones" through the streets of FCoD.

Who knows, maybe it's where the Gate itself is, and maybe Girard founded the city.

mastermind
2010-08-17, 12:58 PM
10 gp there aren't any dragoons >:D Not exactly lawful, definitely evil.

Amarsir
2010-08-17, 02:15 PM
Oh Tarquin's siding with the Empire of Tears, no doubt.

You see, the Empire of Blood is land-locked. This is always a potential problem for a nation's prosperity, and sometimes for their security as well. Tarquin understands this and knows that the closest major port is the City of Doom. That makes it of crucial importance. In fact, the rivers serving the EoB join up and flow through Doom, making it important to align with if not control. Therefore Tarquin must get involved in the battle.

Now you might think he could ally with the Free City of Doom and have access that way. However, Doom's port is itself on an inlet, and reaching the open sea requires passing much Tears and Sweat territory. If the Empire of Blood were to take sides against the Weepies, even if they could use the Doom port their ships would be harassed before reaching open water.

However, by siding with the Empire of Tears, Tarquin knows the Free City can be conquered. Then he has a fast sea route to Sandsedge or up to the Elven lands or wherever he wishes to go.

So Blood will be siding with Tears, not Doom. The geography demands it.

derfenrirwolv
2010-08-17, 02:21 PM
I stand by my belief that Tarquin being lawful will make him send to Doom. If he attacks Doom or Tears after it is over, who knows? 50 gp, 5 if he attacks tears after, and I like your explanation Brian.

He didn't say he was going to HELP doom. He said the troops were going to join the battle... he didn't specify on which side.

hamishspence
2010-08-17, 02:24 PM
Reptilia:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html

right next to the EoB, is open to the sea. Doesn't seem to have any large towns though.

BadAndyMk3
2010-08-17, 02:26 PM
Oh Tarquin's siding with the Empire of Tears, no doubt.

You see, the Empire of Blood is land-locked. This is always a potential problem for a nation's prosperity, and sometimes for their security as well. Tarquin understands this and knows that the closest major port is the City of Doom. That makes it of crucial importance. In fact, the rivers serving the EoB join up and flow through Doom, making it important to align with if not control. Therefore Tarquin must get involved in the battle.

Now you might think he could ally with the Free City of Doom and have access that way. However, Doom's port is itself on an inlet, and reaching the open sea requires passing much Tears and Sweat territory. If the Empire of Blood were to take sides against the Weepies, even if they could use the Doom port their ships would be harassed before reaching open water.

However, by siding with the Empire of Tears, Tarquin knows the Free City can be conquered. Then he has a fast sea route to Sandsedge or up to the Elven lands or wherever he wishes to go.

You caught that too! Sweet.

Yes, but if Tarquin sides with Tears and they conquer Doom, then they would have to fight over who actually controlled the city. However if he sides with Doom and drives off the invaders, he can get his own troops inside the weakened Free City and take over from there.

hamishspence
2010-08-17, 02:28 PM
Taking over isn't the problem- it's hostile neighbours. Having the Free City isn't so good if the Empire of Tears is still hostile.

If he does side with the Free City, he'll need to deal with the Empire of Tears somehow.

Maybe the Free City isn't the real issue- it's Reptilia, which is on the sea, and is the only nation between him and the elves (the rest of the border is mountains)

He might forge a passage agreement with the Reptilians, enabling him to open trade back and forth with the elves.

Nilan8888
2010-08-17, 02:42 PM

I think this has to do with how relations are with the Empire of Sweat.

The Empire of Tears is open to the sea -- bad for Tarquin -- and thier capital looks like it's upriver on one of the main branches from the inlet that crosses through the Free City of Doom.

However: the official river access of the EoT is cut off not only before it reaches FCoD, but before it reaches the river intersection where it branches in two. All that is either within the territory of the Empire of Sweat, or what seems to be FCoD's own territory.

Therefore, presuming cordial relations with EoS, this is doable. In fact if they keep it to the one river branch and create a well-defended enough port along where their borders lay cross-river with FCoD, they can probably bypass EoS as well.

The inlet itself beyond the river mouth might hamper issues, but also note that, unlike EoS, EoT doesn't seem to have any other cities listed beyond it's main city. Thier actual naval capacity on the ocean itself might not be sufficient to take advantage of thier total geographic position. The EoT's territory on the inlet is a LONG way from its capital, and the nation itself is a lot less centralized (though probably about as centralized as the EoB itself). This is in contrast to EoS, which although it lacks a major city, is more centralized and actually has a small city on the banks of the inslet that might have a shipyard.

kolbaldoracle
2010-08-17, 03:01 PM
1,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000 gp that your all wrong

Telonius
2010-08-17, 03:14 PM
Tarquin never says he'll help. He says he has final say and that he is sending 500 dragoons to "join the battle." He deliberately never says what side, or any side. She might assume those dragoons are to aid the free city of doom. However Tarquin never said it, you can infer that from his actions but that could be (and would be I think) a mistake.

This. My bet is he's helping neither one, will attempt to conquer both, AND will let the ambassador know it at the most dramatic moment possible.

EDIT: Also, the ambassador will attempt to escape by riverboat back to FCoD. The boat will be boarded by Tarquin, who will interrogate one of the boat's guards. The guard will claim the boat is on a diplomatic mission ... and I think you know the rest. :smallbiggrin:

BadAndyMk3
2010-08-17, 03:34 PM
This. My bet is he's helping neither one, will attempt to conquer both, AND will let the ambassador know it at the most dramatic moment possible.

EDIT: Also, the ambassador will attempt to escape by riverboat back to FCoD. The boat will be boarded by Tarquin, who will interrogate one of the boat's guards. The guard will claim the boat is on a diplomatic mission ... and I think you know the rest. :smallbiggrin:

You, sir, are a genius.

pendell
2010-08-17, 04:27 PM
1,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000 gp that your all wrong

I will not take you up on your generous bet. You have to pay off if EVEN ONE person on this board is EVEN A LITTLE right. The idea that every one of us is 100% wrong? I wouldn't wager 1 gp on that supposition, let alone the astronomical number you mention. Is that actually a googleplex?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-17, 05:38 PM
I think he is helping Doom.
His motivation being, of course, the sexiness of the empress.

kolbaldoracle
2010-08-17, 05:50 PM
let alone the astronomical number you mention. Is that actually a googleplex?

does it look like it has 100 zeros to you?

veti
2010-08-17, 06:21 PM

If Tarquin sides with Tears, then his precious sea access becomes dependent on Tears' ongoing goodwill. From then on, Blood basically has to do whatever Tears wants, else Tears can just turn off the tap and Blood's trade falls apart. That's not a happy position to be in.

But if Tarquin sides with Doom, he has a chance to weaken Tears to the point where the Blood/Doom alliance could grab enough of that land for themselves. As Doom would always be far weaker than Blood, there's no risk in allowing them to control the access. The only threat would be if Doom allied with Tears, which would be unlikely after a long and bitter war.

Whichever way you cut it, allying with Tears would be strategically insane.

JonestheSpy
2010-08-17, 07:15 PM
Hmm, lots of interesting analysis and strategic thinking, but all that tends to overlook one important factor. Namely, nations don't last too long on the Western Continent, and the borders are in all likelihood going to be completely different in a couple of years. Tarquin seems pretty blase about that fact - I doubt he'd actively betray is employer the Empress, but I'm sure he's ready to pack up and move on to the next gig when the current government falls.

So it's much more about Tarquin's own personality than the long-term interests of the Empire of Blood. I'm guessing he prefers to play the gallant, as I said, and would prefer to keep on impressing the Ambassador o' Doom (up until he's tired of her) than play 'shampoo the lemur' one night and then laugh in her face when she realizes she's been tricked. But I may easily be wrong, that's why I only bet 10 gp with even odds...

golentan
2010-08-18, 12:14 AM

Significantly more, actually, given that a quick count shows it to be more than 10x10...

Edit: 936. I look forward to seeing you pay up with a solid gold galaxy...

Edit2: Sorry, solid gold universe. Brainfart, I misread my notes. Solid gold 10^600th galaxies.

factotum
2010-08-18, 01:53 AM
I think he is helping Doom.
His motivation being, of course, the sexiness of the empress.

Er, what empress? The dark-skinned lass in the strip is a captain. If either of the two sides in question has a sexy empress it would be Tears, it being an Empire and all...

JoseB
2010-08-18, 08:17 AM
Is that actually a googleplex?does it look like it has 100 zeros to you?

Oooh, nerd senses tingling...!

What kolbaldoracle wrote is definitely not a googolplex... But that is because both are wrong about the size of it ;)

A googol is 10^100 (1 followed by 100 zeroes).

A googolplex is 10^(10^100), that is, 1 followed by a googol of zeroes (!!)

Even a googol by itself is humongous: the number of elementary particles in the observable Universe is estimated to be around 2.5x10^89 -- This value is insignificant when compared to a googol (A googol is roughly 40,000,000,000 times bigger than the amount of elementary particles in the observable universe).

Carl Sagan estimated that trying to write a googolplex as a string of numbers would be physically impossible, because it would take a space BIGGER than the size of the known Universe. It *might* be done, if you make the numbers small enough... Let's see how small.

The observable universe is, roughly, a sphere 93 billion light-years in diameter (although the age of the Universe is "only" 13~14 billion years, due to the expansion of space itself we are able to see objects that are farther away than a static distance of 13~14 billion light-years). The volume of that sphere, in cubic metres, would be (taking into account that 1 light year equals to roughly 9.46x10^15 metres):

V = 4/3*PI*(R^3), with R=46.5*10^9 light-years.

R = 46.5*10^9*9.46*10^15 metres = 439.89*10^24 metres = 4.40*10^26 metres

V = 4/3*PI*(4.40*10^26)^3 = (4.19*4.40^3)*10^78 = (4.19*85.18)*10^78 = 356.90*10^78 = 3.57*10^80 cubic metres (roughly)

Now, a googolplex is a 1 followed by 10^100 zeroes. That means that, to write a googolplex and for its written expression to fit in the observable universe (hereinafter O.U.), each cubic metre of space in the O.U. would have to host the following amount of digits:

10^100 / (3.57*10^80) = 1/3.57 * 10^20 = 0.28*10^20 = 2.8*10^19 digits.

So: At 28,000,000,000,000,000,000 digits per cubic metre, we just about manage to write a googolplex to fit in the O.U. Taking the cube root of that, we obtain that we would have to put 3.04*10^6 (3,040,000) digits per lineal metre. Each digit cannot be more than 0.33*10^-6 = 3.3*10^-7 metres wide and tall.

That is 0.33 microns per digit. With digits of that size, one might just about be able to write a googolplex in the whole available space of the observable universe.

So, to sum up: Definitely the number written by kolbaldoracle, although way bigger than a googol, is NOWHERE near the most infinitesimal fraction of a googolplex :)

</math nerd hijack>

Now, about Tarquin... I will put a modest bet (let's say, 5 GP) that he will help Doom against Tears, with a very definite eye into, later on, annexing Doom to Blood's territory at some point.

Doug Lampert
2010-08-18, 09:59 AM

100 zeros is a Google. A Googleplex is 10^Google, which the number quoted isn't since there (litterally) aren't enough electrons in the observable universe to even come CLOSE to having one for every 0 needed to write out a googleplex in base 10 numbers.

Edit: Ninjas! They're everywhere!

Telonius
2010-08-18, 10:19 AM
Oooohhh... hold on ...

I think I'll amend my answer even further. As the ambassador is being captured, she manages to cast a Sending to Julio Scoundrél. :smallbiggrin:

pendell
2010-08-19, 08:03 AM

Do you think I stopped to count? It looked like a whole lotta zeroes.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Lecan
2010-08-19, 05:25 PM
Oooohhh... hold on ...

I think I'll amend my answer even further. As the ambassador is being captured, she manages to cast a Sending to Julio Scoundrél. :smallbiggrin:

Help me, Julio, you're my only hope!

Roy: That's no moon, that's the Empress of Blood!

Malack: Fear will keep the local governments in line! Fear of the Empress' reverse fire breath.

The Succubus
2010-08-19, 05:28 PM
Help me, Julio, you're my only hope!

Roy: That's no moon, that's the Empress of Blood!

Malack: Fear will keep the local governments in line! Fear of the Empress' reverse fire breath.

Reverse fire breath? :smallconfused:

:smalleek:

Undead Prince
2010-08-19, 06:02 PM
My bet: 50 gp on Doom;

also 50 gp on EoB eventually somehow taking Doom under its wing (protectorate, occupation, outright annexation etc.).

Reasons have already been listed: Tarquin's alignment, Machiavellian policy, connection to Girard.

Taken. Don't know about Reptilia (seem warlike enough, and geographically close), but the Elves won't involve themselves in the Southern squabbles. Goaway mountains speak for themselves, and that Elven ambassador didn't look too genial.

Taken. That's a secret Tarquin has no reason to know about.

Tarquin being the say, he would need to honor his word and help Tears. Make that 30 gp on Tears.

...Taken.

Cognitive dissonance, anyone?

...Taken.

Sure, he can't pay it, so he'll have to work it off... in the pits 8-)

Gandariel
2010-08-19, 07:51 PM
I think i'll side with everyone who bet on "Tarquin hasn't sent any soldier al all, and he just wants to impress the captain"...
i bet 50 gp and a gift coupon (good for one favor) from the empire of despotania (East, obviously)
act fast, before some other general conquires it!

Kish
2010-08-19, 09:23 PM
I think i'll side with everyone who bet on "Tarquin hasn't sent any soldier al all, and he just wants to impress the captain"...
i bet 50 gp and a gift coupon (good for one favor) from the empire of despotania (East, obviously)
I'll take that bet.

Setra
2010-08-19, 11:05 PM
The Empire of Blood is allied with the Free City of Doom, correct?

If he uses this advantage to take over Doom, then it'll be the Empire of Blood's turn to fight the Empire of Tears. Such a battle may leave them open to assault by yet another country.

As well, they'd also have a good chance of losing other alliances they may have if they attack their own allies. I could see said allies ganging up on the Empire of Blood out of fear they may be next.

Tarquin doesn't seem the type to take over another country for the evulz, there's strategy to be had as well. Evil doesn't mean stupid.

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-20, 01:18 AM
Reverse fire breath? :smallconfused:

:smalleek:
Fire-hiccups, presumably. Unfortunate, at best.

factotum
2010-08-20, 01:35 AM
The Empire of Blood is allied with the Free City of Doom, correct?

Well, we don't know, that seems to be the whole point of this thread! I certainly don't think they've been allied up to this point--they'd have sent aid to their ally a bit sooner than 7 months into the battle if they were.

Gandariel
2010-08-20, 08:35 AM
I'll take that bet.

Loser will put on his signature
"I owe (name) 50 gp" for a month?
sorry for the coupon, Despotania East has become Despotopia and the new king won't accept it...

Swordpriest
2010-08-20, 08:54 AM
I'm definitely putting my 2 copper piece bet on helping the Weepies. Why not say "500 dragoons are going to your aid" if that's what's happening? It sounds more like he's telling the truth with a "sin of omission" thrown in -- just letting the ambassador add her own construction to it, based on wishful thinking, so that he can get into her pants before the truth comes out.

pendell
2010-08-20, 12:40 PM
With respect, Swordpriest, I'll take that bet.

IMO, an evil personality is often motivated by personal profit at the expense of others.

What does it gain Tarquin to help the Empire of Tears? Tears doesn't need his help to win, or the FCD wouldn't be sending messengers out to beg for help. So he sends troops to help them, they win anyway, they ignore his soldiers and the FCD hates him for betraying them. He also will probably get some of his soldiers killed for no corresponding gain.

OTOH, helping the free city of doom is some benefit by giving him an alliance with the FCD, but he will also antagonize the Weepies. Assuming they aren't already his enemies, in which case there's all gain for no loss.

Or he could simply let the two sides battle to exhaustion, then sweep in and take the city for himself. This might work as well. But the downside is that it's treacherous, and he may find himself on the run a year from now. Still possible.

So whatever Tarquin's doing, I don't believe it is to help the Weepies. I see no gain in doing so.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Faramir
2010-08-20, 01:51 PM
Okay, I'll bet on the longshot:

Tarquin has made arrangements with the Weepies to help them crush the Free City of Doom in return for them helping to capture and imprison Girard (Doom's most prominent citizen) so he can give Girard to Elan as a present at the tournament. He only agreed to help the Weepies because he found out his son wanted to meet him and how better than as a prisoner? What a nice guy!

Other than that I like the idea of him offering Elan the governership of Doom.

Kish
2010-08-20, 02:30 PM
Loser will put on his signature
"I owe (name) 50 gp" for a month?
sorry for the coupon, Despotania East has become Despotopia and the new king won't accept it...
Just to be clear, my bet is that Tarquin sent real soldiers, not that he sent them to help one particular side. :smalltongue: That, I still consider up in the air. His phrasing is suspicious, but I can't see what he'd have to gain by helping the side which would win without him.

Scarlet Knight
2010-08-20, 03:30 PM

Tarquin: "And tomorrow, we'll be escorted by all my dragoons!"
Amun-Zora: " All but 500."
Tarquin: ":smallconfused:"
Amun-Zora : "All but the 500 you sent to lift the seige."
Tarquin : "But, of course. Not those!"

Gandariel
2010-08-20, 04:41 PM
Just to be clear, my bet is that Tarquin sent real soldiers, not that he sent them to help one particular side. :smalltongue:
Sure ^^

I can't see what he'd have to gain by helping the side which would win without him.
He's still Elan's father, after all

Goosefarble
2010-08-20, 04:43 PM
Take it from someone who knows. If you want to bone someone, don't help the people attacking her empire.

Setra
2010-08-20, 04:54 PM
Tarquin: "And tomorrow, we'll be escorted by all my dragoons!"
Amun-Zora: " All but 500."
Tarquin: ":smallconfused:"
Amun-Zora : "All but the 500 you sent to lift the seige."
Tarquin : "But, of course. Not those!"
:smallbiggrin: Nice one