PDA

View Full Version : Who directs the spell?

Frosty
2010-08-15, 05:39 PM
Ok, so let's say you've got an Animal Companion and/or a Familiar. You cast Evard's Menacing Tentacles (PHB2 p.113) either on your AC/Familiar or on yourself and Share the spell with your AC/Familiar. This spell is normally a Personal-range spell, and normally uses your BaB and Ste score to attack, and deals damage = to 1d8 + your Str mod. So...when your AC/Familiar is under the ffect of the spell, does it use its own Str and BaB?

Also, in terms of who directs it...which one of the following should happen?

1) Each round as a free action, you get to direct both of your AC/Familiar's tentacles to attack an opponent within reach.

2) Each round as a free action, your AC/Familiar get to direct both of your AC/Familiar's tentacles to attack an opponent within reach.

3) Your AC/Familiar gets too freaked out by having two black tentacles sprouting from its shoulder blades.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-15, 05:47 PM
Well, since the familiar is gaining the power, it makes sense to give it control. Spells under control of someone other than the targets usually says so in the description(Charm!)

Yorrin
2010-08-15, 05:58 PM
I'm AFB, but my first thought is #2 (with some #3 thrown in for flavor :smallbiggrin: ). Since the spell is normally affecting only the person controlling it, and the spell is affecting the pet, it makes sense for the pet to control it.

Unless you've got some sort of alignment conflict with your pet, though, it seems to be a moot point. You, as the player, generally control both (unless your DM is a control freak). Talk to your DM about it if it becomes an issue.

Frosty
2010-08-15, 06:26 PM
The issue is...is your Animal Companion *smart* enough to know how to control a spell?

Toliudar
2010-08-15, 06:30 PM
My reading would be that if you cast the spell on yourself, shared with the AC, then both of you manifest the effects of the spell. Your tentacles follows your bidding and use your Strength score & BAB, the AC's tentacles' follow its bidding and use its BAB and strength. It guides its own tentacles.

I wouldn't ever have a familiar get freaked out, since I see them as very much connected to you. An AC, the first time you cast the spell...maybe. A good reason to cast the spell in advance, as part of a training session, first.

Volos
2010-08-15, 06:40 PM
You both direct your copys of the spell individually. You have two to direct, and AC/Familiar has two to direct. Same with any other spell that share spell counts for. The things are growing out of your body, so it only makes sense that the bab and str of each individual is used as appropiate.

Frosty
2010-08-15, 06:43 PM
I hope it doesn't count as a "Trick" I'll nedd to teach my AC...

Flickerdart
2010-08-15, 06:49 PM
Your familiar uses your BAB anyway, so it's a matter of whose STR gets used.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-08-15, 10:34 PM
I hope it doesn't count as a "Trick" I'll nedd to teach my AC...
Nah, I’d count it as a benefit of the Share Spells ability. But then, I’m not your DM. :smalltongue: