PDA

View Full Version : Belkar is pretty awesome.

loogieboogie
2010-08-15, 06:32 PM
I've read some people's opinions about Belkar, and, for the most part, I disagree with them. I know, he's a crazed murderer, and he's a little jerk, but, hell, he's BAD. ASS.

To tell the truth, I am a little upset The Giant plans to kill him off. I'm sure the comic will still be good, but it just won't be the same. I pray they bring him back after they die.

I guess I just want to know if anyone else will be mourning over him.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-08-15, 09:10 PM
:belkar: i am a sexy shoeless god of war!!!

DemLep
2010-08-15, 09:20 PM
Death is but another dungeons with more things to kill for a PC.
And yes you can kill dead things, for good. I think Belkar might enjoy conquering an afterlife or two.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-08-15, 09:22 PM
spin-off comic: Belkar and the afterlife killing spree :smallbiggrin:

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-15, 09:32 PM
You know what? I'm in neither group. Honestly, wishing for him to come back and looking for loopholes in the prophecies is slightly annoying, and saying that you'll celebrate his death and wish he gets killed sooner is also annoying. Now, I know not everyone is like that, but, well... cheese.

Anyway, to me, Belkar is a character. You can think he's cool, you can think he's annoying. Personally, I think he's funny. But I don't mind it that he's going to die. It's a story, and if a main character died and came back twice, then it gets a bit, well, boring. It'll feel like a cop-out if he comes back. Roy was an exception, since it's been pretty obvious that he was going to come back. But doing the same thing twice? No, bringing character after character back to life does not a good story make.

I don't know how well I described my position, but there it is.

Drake-Pegasus
2010-08-15, 09:41 PM
Everybody dies sometime. Heck, in a D&D-based world, a lot of people die multiple times. But I won't mind Belkar biting it if he has an appropriately cool death scene.

Kish
2010-08-15, 09:42 PM
I pray they bring him back after they die.
You did read the word ever, didn't you?

loogieboogie
2010-08-15, 09:52 PM
But I won't mind Belkar biting it if he has an appropriately cool death scene.

I completely agree. I also hope that right before he dies, he kills a major opponent of the Order Of The Stick.

You did read the word ever, didn't you?

If you are referring to the oracle's words, I couldn't remember if he said belkar would be brought back or not.

RndmNumGen
2010-08-15, 10:03 PM
I'm in the same camp. Characters are a narrative device - I have no qualms against The Giant for using them effectively. Not that I'm saying character deaths are a good thing, but they definitely add a little something to stories that isn't there otherwise.

Kish
2010-08-16, 07:13 AM
Also, I heard that Rich said something in one of the commentaries about wishing he had the opportunity to show more of the Lower Planes.
Not quite. He said, circa No Cure for the Paladin Blues, that he regretted not having Miko kill Belkar because of the lost opportunity to do afterlife jokes. Since, after that, he did afterlife jokes with Roy, he may, or may not, still want to do Abyss-specific afterlife jokes.

137beth
2010-08-16, 08:28 AM
To tell the truth, I am a little upset The Giant plans to kill him off. I'm sure the comic will still be good, but it just won't be the same. I pray they bring him back after they die.

I guess I just want to know if anyone else will be mourning over him.

I like belkar too...
But there is something else you may not realize: The Giant hasn't said anything about killing off Belkar. That comes from the 10000000+ threads about how belkar is going to die because a bunch of Belkar-haters said so. So don't worry, if he DOES die in this series, it will probably be at the end of the whole story.

Kish
2010-08-16, 08:55 AM
That comes from the 10000000+ threads about how belkar is going to die because a bunch of Belkar-haters said so.
The Oracle probably does hate Belkar, but he's not a bunch, and I don't think he starts forum threads...

DemLep
2010-08-16, 09:06 AM
So, I was looking the comics. And I think Belkar might not die.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0329.html

...The halfling shouldn't bother funding his IRA...

Did... Did you just imply that Belkar isn't going to live to see old age???

Well, I'm just thinking he should savor his next birthday cake. 'Nuff said.

Now that sounds like a death prediction, but it is never strictly stated. There could be several reasons Belkar won't need an IRA or get another birthday cake.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html)

At any rate, your pal isn't long for this world,...

Not long for this world?...

Belkar will draw his last breath--ever--before the end of the year.

Okay, I'll give this one some credit it narrows down what could happen. But I think that Belkar will in some way find a way to no longer breath. Yep. Maybe after he is turned into something or visits one of the other planes. Maybe the whole OotS leaves the "world" and goes to another one. This could fulfill the prediction.

Anyways I just think that the Gaint might get creative and sneaky and not kill him, because that's obvious.

Yora
2010-08-16, 09:09 AM
Belkar is one of the three reasons I read Oots. Next to Elan and Xykon. (And the roaches! :smallbiggrin: ) The rest of the comic is okay, but these three really run the show for me.

The main reason why I don't think Belkar will be removed and the comic will continue without him, is that I don't see why any writer would do that. If he dislikes the character and no longer wants to have him in the story, why say you'll remove him and then keep him around for many more months, during which he gets a lot of "screen time"?
And this comic is making fun of any trope known to fantasy and action fiction, so I don't see why it will be played completely straight this one single time. The prophecy most likely will come true to the letter, but in a way nobody would have anticipated. And I don't think we'll see the group continue (permanently) without him.

Marnath
2010-08-16, 05:24 PM
Okay, I'll give this one some credit it narrows down what could happen. But I think that Belkar will in some way find a way to no longer breath. Yep. Maybe after he is turned into something or visits one of the other planes. Maybe the whole OotS leaves the "world" and goes to another one.

Congrats, you win a prize!! You are the 100,000th person to suggest such a thing! :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, I hope Belkar dies in a completely anti-climactic totally meaningless death and doesn't return as a golem/undead/outsider/etc.

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-16, 05:26 PM
I'm in the same camp. Characters are a narrative device - I have no qualms against The Giant for using them effectively. Not that I'm saying character deaths are a good thing, but they definitely add a little something to stories that isn't there otherwise.

Yay, someone agrees with me! :smallbiggrin:

Trazoi
2010-08-16, 07:16 PM
If any character's death serves the story well then I don't mind. That said, I'll be more likely to mourn Redcloak's death when (if?) it happens than Belkar's.

I'll also think if Belkar gets resurrected or finds some loophole that means he's not dead-dead then it will feel like a cop out. The Oracle was pretty clear in suggesting that Belkar is not long for this world literally, and didn't have any good reason to be needlessly cryptic about that fact given what Belkar did. The whole of Belkar's story has been about him weaseling his way out of the proper consequences of his actions so I'll be peeved if he wriggles his way out of this one.

kyoryu
2010-08-16, 07:42 PM
Belkar is one of the three reasons I read Oots. Next to Elan and Xykon. (And the roaches! :smallbiggrin: ) The rest of the comic is okay, but these three really run the show for me.

The main reason why I don't think Belkar will be removed and the comic will continue without him, is that I don't see why any writer would do that. If he dislikes the character and no longer wants to have him in the story, why say you'll remove him and then keep him around for many more months, during which he gets a lot of "screen time"?
And this comic is making fun of any trope known to fantasy and action fiction, so I don't see why it will be played completely straight this one single time. The prophecy most likely will come true to the letter, but in a way nobody would have anticipated. And I don't think we'll see the group continue (permanently) without him.

I bet he takes up art for a brief period.

The Oracle does have a tendency to be a bit legalistic in the interpretations of his predictions...

137beth
2010-08-16, 09:09 PM
Yea, besides, he said "before the end of the YEAR". That could actually be at the end of the whole series, since there is no constant ratio between real time and story time. The enormous number of threads about how Belkar is going to die any minute now are based on speculation.

Kish
2010-08-16, 09:12 PM
Yea, besides, he said "before the end of the YEAR".

And, recently, Roy mentioned that there were seven weeks left on the Oracle's prophecy.

That could still be enough time to finish the entire comic series, but let's not base arguments on time not having moved since the prophecy was made. :smalltongue:

DemLep
2010-08-16, 09:34 PM
Congrats, you win a prize!! You are the 100,000th person to suggest such a thing! :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, I hope Belkar dies in a completely anti-climactic totally meaningless death and doesn't return as a golem/undead/outsider/etc.

Where's my prize?

I don't tend to read those threads so i don't know what other people are saying. I actually believe he will die, I just want to give some work around for the hell of it. Also if the Oracle didn't want to be cryptic he could be much more clear. Thing the Oracle enjoys giving prophecies that aren't straight forward.

devinkowalczyk
2010-08-16, 09:48 PM
Belkar Reincarnated On A 100%!

rakkoon
2010-08-17, 06:36 AM
Can someone point me to where he takes his barbarian levels? Don't want to create a thread for that...

and he is my favourite character by far

hamishspence
2010-08-17, 06:46 AM
Here:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0126.html

is where he's thinking of multiclassing to barbarian.

He goes to the barbarian's guild:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0132.html

and goes through tests:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0133.html

For the first bit of evidence that he's actually gained Rage:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html

DemLep
2010-08-17, 06:55 AM
I forget. Does he have the ring at that point?

hamishspence
2010-08-17, 06:56 AM
He does:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0130.html

but the Rage and Fast Movement can boost jumps even more.

DemLep
2010-08-17, 07:17 AM
I thought fast movement would only help if he ran first and having a 30 instead of a 20 would allow him to go further in one turn so does not fit in. As to how Rage helps, are you referring to the +4 str bonus? Would a +20 Jump ring be more helpful, though I'm sure both together are what caused it.

hamishspence
2010-08-17, 07:33 AM
Anything with a higher move speed, gets a bonus to jump checks.

Similarly, anything with a lower speed- gets a big penalty.

Failure to get a running start imposes a big penalty- but the higher movement speed boosts jumps even if you don't actually move before jumping:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/jump.htm

The Str bonus helps too though.

SPoD
2010-08-17, 03:44 PM
The Oracle was pretty clear in suggesting that Belkar is not long for this world literally,

You mean figuratively. Not literally.

Saying someone is not long for this world literally means he will simply be going to another world soon, such as another planet or plane of existence.

Saying someone is not long for this world figuratively means he will die soon, because the phrase originated on our world at a point in time when no one could conceive of traveling to other planets--therefore, the only other "worlds" someone could go to were those that comprised the afterlife.

So if one thinks Belkar will definitely die, then they are saying that the Oracle was speaking figuratively, not literally. If one thinks that Belkar will (by way of an example I have seen proposed) be turned undead and transported to the planet in the rift, then they are saying that the Oracle was speaking literally, not figuratively.

EDITED to say: I am not supporting either hypothesis at this point, though I believe there will be SOME sort of unexpected factor in the Oracle's prophecy, or else it would be narratively pointless. Such factor could be as simple as by the time Belkar dies, he's somehow legitimately reformed himself, thus giving us unexpected ambivalence at his demise.

Trazoi
2010-08-17, 07:38 PM
You mean figuratively. Not literally.
Actually, I literally meant literally. :smallsmile:

I was discounting the theories that Belkar will "die" but be revived or still be running around with the rest of the Order as a construct or some form of intelligent undead. The way the Oracle phrased it, it's fairly clear he meant Belkar would be gone and not coming back.

Sharpe
2010-08-17, 07:56 PM
spin-off comic: Belkar and the afterlife killing spree :smallbiggrin:
That would be awesome!

I love Belkar. I'd say he's my favorite character. I'm surprised to learn of so many people be hate'n on him.

I loved the storyline with him an the Miko and the one where he came back after being cursed. He is the strip's ultraviolence and I love it!

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-17, 08:22 PM
I'm surprised to learn of so many people be hate'n on him.

This thread is a perfect example of two groups. One, the "LOOPHOLES!" group, and two, the "KILL THE LITTLE SNOT-NOSE ALREADY!" group. :smalltongue:

137beth
2010-08-17, 08:49 PM
Yea...belkar is my favorite OOTS member. But there are ALWAYS people who will disagree:smalltongue:

ThePhantasm
2010-08-17, 08:58 PM
This thread is a perfect example of two groups. One, the "LOOPHOLES!" group, and two, the "KILL THE LITTLE SNOT-NOSE ALREADY!" group. :smalltongue:

Then there is the third group, which I am a part of. The "I don't really want him to die but do it already so we will stop having Belkar-death threads" (pun not intended). I hope he gets a good death, of course, at a dramatic moment... but I get tired of this sort of discussion that never goes anywhere anyway.

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-17, 09:12 PM
Then there is the third group, which I am a part of. The "I don't really want him to die but do it already so we will stop having Belkar-death threads" (pun not intended). I hope he gets a good death, of course, at a dramatic moment... but I get tired of this sort of discussion that never goes anywhere anyway.

Well, then four groups. The fourth one, which I would be a part of, is the "Characters are devices. It's sad when a character dies, but I don't want him to stay alive through a loop-hole or come back from the dead."

devinkowalczyk
2010-08-17, 09:26 PM
I will enjoy the comic regardless, even if there is something I don't like.

I don't think the colisseum will kill him, too anticlimax

tcrudisi
2010-08-17, 10:38 PM
My prediction for how Belkar will die:

Belkar learns that Roy is not really Roy but rather Girard (the illusionist). Belkar takes the opportunity in the arena to disable Girard, revealing him for who he really is, thus saving the life of everyone in OotS, yet still succumbing to his wounds before Durkon can save him. However, with Girard being so powerful, he managed to kill Belkar in a way that prevents Belkar from being resurrected.

Obviously there are a few holes there, but I can almost imagine the last scene, when Belkar succumbs to his wounds, where he says something

incredibly dramatic and makes people wonder if he really DID become a good guy in the end, by both his actions to save Roy and the OotS and his final words.

Belkar deserves no less (hence why I put it in spoilers, so the Giant won't realize I'm on to his nefarious plot and he'll still do it!)

Or, basically, I'm smoking something potent, and I know it, I would just love to see a curveball thrown like that upon which Belkar saves the day heroically.

rakkoon
2010-08-18, 05:47 AM
Here:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0126.html
is where he's thinking of multiclassing to barbarian.
He goes to the barbarian's guild:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0132.html
and goes through tests:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0133.html
For the first bit of evidence that he's actually gained Rage:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html

Fast, accurate, complete.

You get the Belkar seal of approval and my thanks.

Setra
2010-08-19, 03:00 AM
I really dislike it when people insist a character shouldn't die just because its their favorite. That's WHY they should die, the more you like a character the bigger impact their death will have.

rakkoon
2010-08-19, 03:16 AM
That depends, if he is constantly repeating himself (Black Mage anyone), there is no real reason to keep him alive. If you can take the character somewhere that shines a new light on him (animal companion, fake character change hiding real character change) the future awesomeness should not be compromised by a silly little thing as death.

Setra
2010-08-19, 03:50 AM
That depends, if he is constantly repeating himself (Black Mage anyone), there is no real reason to keep him alive. If you can take the character somewhere that shines a new light on him (animal companion, fake character change hiding real character change) the future awesomeness should not be compromised by a silly little thing as death.
While I can agree in that respect (I like the new direction he is being taken), he IS Belkar. He'll probably die the second he can no longer maintain his charade.

rakkoon
2010-08-19, 04:00 AM
As long as his Death is Epic, I have no real problem with him dying.
He does fulfil a role in the Order so it will be hard to go on for a long time without him. Durkon will die too so it might me a case of everybody dying/ leaving till we see Roy in the setting sun.
Sounds very cool by the by

eggynack
2010-08-19, 08:06 AM
My theory for Belkar is that circumstances will be contrived that allow him to perfectly bypass the death thing, like becoming undead, and then he'll get stabbed in the face. More on topic, I enjoy Belkar (especially recently) and will hate to see him go, But am interested in how it will occur.

sockmonkey
2010-08-23, 06:55 AM
I'm reminded of the Lobo comic book where Lobo beomes effectively immortal because when he died and went to hell they kicked him out and back to the world of the living because he's such a badass that he liked hell too much.

Killer Angel
2010-08-23, 07:18 AM
Yea...belkar is my favorite OOTS member. But there are ALWAYS people who will disagree:smalltongue:

...and we must debate with them, to show they're wrong! :smalltongue:
(imagine the XKCD comic reference, now I don't have the link at hand)