PDA

View Full Version : Soulbow Swift Hunter variant. Overpowered?

The Rabbler
2010-08-15, 09:51 PM
The title says it all; Does a soulbow(or possibly soulknife) version of the swift hunter feat run into the realm of the overpowered?

PId6
2010-08-15, 09:59 PM
Eh, what is it intended to do? It's hard to judge whether something's overpowered without actually having a clear idea of what it does. Does it stack soulknife's weapon with scout's skirmish?

The Rabbler
2010-08-15, 10:26 PM
probably should have clarified that; yes, that was the idea.

Human Paragon 3
2010-08-15, 10:35 PM
I think that would be fine. Maybe just have a minimum number of soulknife levels to qualify. Maybe make the prereqs skirmish ability and +1 Mindblade. That way they can't just cheat one level of soulknife onto scout.

Mongoose87
2010-08-15, 10:44 PM
Is it possible for a Soulknife to be OP?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-15, 10:55 PM

Possibly in an extremely low wealth campaing?:smallconfused:

Eldariel
2010-08-15, 11:22 PM
Possibly in an extremely low wealth campaing?:smallconfused:

Y'know, it still wouldn't be good if players didn't even get clothes... 'cause that world would be ruled by casters with Eschew Materials. Like ruled ruled. Martial types would be fumbling around unarmed but they'd probably still kick Soulknife's ass little trouble; I find imagining Soulknife vs. Unarmed Swordsage or Totemist kinda hilarious. Or god forbid Wildshape Ranger. I could see Unarmed Warblade kicking ass for all that's worth. SUS and TWF Stormguard Warrior it up. And good ol' Barbarian/Deepwarden/Fist of the Forests would be really nice.

As a rule of thumb, the less wealth, the better magic gets since it still does everything anyways while everybody else tries to do everything with items.

FMArthur
2010-08-15, 11:48 PM
But Soulbow brings it about up to par for physical combatants, what with Lucky being an awesome enhancement on it and all. Soulbow with full Skirmish progression will certainly be powerful; probably a high Tier 3, in fact. If you were using the gestalt-by-tiers (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1002.msg24721#msg24721) system, and taking into account Soulbow's generally accepted "Tier +2" (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5198.msg173088#msg173088) modifier to Soulknife characters, you would be considered too powerful to gestalt with Scout, which is basically what you're doing. I think that's a good way to benchmark a build, don't you? :smallsmile:

arguskos
2010-08-15, 11:55 PM
Soulknife/Monk/Atavist with Shape Mind Blade (Unarmed Strike) can actually be surprisingly effective. Yes, it SOUNDS stupid as hell, but it's actually pretty decent.

OP? By some standards, yeah, probably.

The Rabbler
2010-08-16, 12:05 AM
alright, just getting a consensus. If the playground sees it as even slightly overpowered, it's too powerful for my group. Thanks.

Person_Man
2010-08-16, 09:22 AM
Non-full caster archery builds are pretty much mired in Tier 4-6ish no matter what you do, because archery has very limited options. You move and fire and deal XdY + Zd6 damage, every round. The damage is rarely impressive, and the limited access to combos (Trip, Bull Rush, etc) or magical options (summoning, buffing, etc) means that your build is going to be very limited. Tweaking it a little by adding Swift Hunter won't accomplish much.

Here's a fixed soul knife homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92407) base class you might want to look at. You can change your mind blade into ammunition (which then can be fired out of a magical bow, to add it's enhancements) at level 1, and it adds a variety of Force related powers to your attacks.

The Rabbler
2010-08-16, 02:45 PM
hmmm... that homebrew looks like a lot of fun. even more fun than this scout/soulbow idea. Thanks for the link.