PDA

View Full Version : Is there an eclipse occurring?

GSFB
2010-08-15, 11:49 PM
Looking at the moon in #742 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0742.html) it has a very unusual crescent shape. Normally, a crescent moon's dark side would go from pole to pole, because the light from the sun will always illuminate exactly half the moon at any one time, and the position of the moon relative to the sun and the planet will determine how much of the dark half is visible from the planet. In this strip, much more than half of the moon would have to be illuminated UNLESS we are actually seeing the full moon - the entire lit half is facing the planet - and another body is passing between sun and planet and casting a shadow.

I contend that there are only two possible explanations for the shape: either it is artistic choice, or there is an eclipse.

So, IF there is an eclipse, does this MEAN something?

GSFB
2010-08-15, 11:52 PM
(note - before anyone else says it... THAT'S NO MOON... THAT'S A SPACE STATION!)

derfenrirwolv
2010-08-16, 12:24 AM
the moon could be closer to the planet or larger than our moon, resulting in the size difference?

GSFB
2010-08-16, 12:34 AM
It is not a question of size. It is a question of where the shadow or "dark side" of the moon begins and ends. The moon is a sphere. The sun shines on it from one direction. The hemisphere that faces the sun is light. The hemisphere away from the sun is dark. Depending on where Earth is relative to the others, more or less of the light hemisphere is showing - but it is always a hemisphere. The light and dark halves always meet at the poles.

The Giant
2010-08-16, 12:36 AM
I love how it never crosses anyone's mind that the author may know less about astronomy than they do.

I WENT TO ART SCHOOL, OK?

GSFB
2010-08-16, 12:37 AM
Giant, note that I *DID* say it could be artistic!!!

The Extinguisher
2010-08-16, 12:51 AM
Isn't that the way a crescent moon always looks in settings like this?

Valifor
2010-08-16, 12:54 AM
I love how it never crosses anyone's mind that the author may know less about astronomy than they do.

well there's your answer GSFB, it's an art choice. mystery solved :smallbiggrin:

derfenrirwolv
2010-08-16, 01:00 AM

It did cross my mind. Somewhere in between its an eclipse caused by the empress of blood flying overhead and a kobold balloon project.

Art school may be is the right answer, but its the least fun

The Giant
2010-08-16, 01:14 AM
Giant, note that I *DID* say it could be artistic!!!

No, you misunderstand. It's not an artistic choice. It's a mistake, based on the fact that I don't know how the moon works (because I went to art school, and they don't teach science in art school).

I'm not going to change it, though, because I don't care how the moon works (also because I went to art school).

Art school may be is the right answer, but its the least fun

Your definition of "fun" diverges wildly from mine.

Maxdibe
2010-08-16, 04:17 AM
Or maybe OOTS is placed in a universe where moon acts like that.

Actually this sentence can be used for (almost) every criticism OOTS will receive: "in that universe, things works like that". :smallwink:

Cizak
2010-08-16, 04:39 AM
Why deos it even matter? Can't we just say that the oots-planets moon work differently than ours? :smallsigh:

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-16, 05:16 AM
Your definition of "fun" diverges wildly from mine.

Dare I say it...

And How!

Or maybe OOTS is placed in a universe where moon acts like that.

Actually this sentence can be used for (almost) every criticism OOTS will receive: "in that universe, things works like that". :smallwink:

Well, it is a fantasy universe.

Why deos it even matter? Can't we just say that the oots-planets moon work differently than ours? :smallsigh:

How about this way:

The OotS universe has two moons: One moon has an albedo similar to ours: it reflects like back to us. The other one's surface is made in way that it doesn't reflect. Whether that be because of black rocks, odd surface, or whatever, it doesn't reflect light. That's why we don't see it usually.

Now, what's happening here is a partial double-lunar eclipse. Very rare, because the moons orbit usually means they miss each other from a sentient creature living on the planet's perspective. Also, the eclipse can last for about a week. Anyway, that's why Tarquin had the dinner tonight; because of this rare and special event of the double eclipse! Also, it's possible that because of it's rarity, the desert-folk have annotated specific meanings to the double lunar eclipse. Possibly death, and love, which explains the special gladiator event and the fact that Tarquin is making love.

Of course, the recent comics all make sense now!

But seriously, did you expect any less overthinking from a fan of this comic? :P

Shpadoinkle
2010-08-16, 05:53 AM
Looking at the moon in #742 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0742.html) it has a very unusual crescent shape. Normally, a crescent moon's dark side would go from pole to pole, because the light from the sun will always illuminate exactly half the moon at any one time, and the position of the moon relative to the sun and the planet will determine how much of the dark half is visible from the planet. In this strip, much more than half of the moon would have to be illuminated UNLESS we are actually seeing the full moon - the entire lit half is facing the planet - and another body is passing between sun and planet and casting a shadow.

I contend that there are only two possible explanations for the shape: either it is artistic choice, or there is an eclipse.

So, IF there is an eclipse, does this MEAN something?

Priorities man! I mean yeah, it's weird that the moon looks liek that, but you're totally disregarding the fact that almost al the humanoids in the OotS-verse have perfectly spherical heads! That's WAY more alarming!

the_tick_rules
2010-08-16, 12:03 PM
Awesome, I rarely see the giant comment in threads. I like the hey it's just artistry.

Cizak
2010-08-16, 01:18 PM
But seriously, did you expect any less overthinking from a fan of this comic? :P

No... no, I guess I didn't. :smallsigh:

GSFB
2010-08-16, 01:43 PM
I really appreciate the Giant's response. Not only that he is reading and responding to my idiotic blatherings, but also that he is happy to set the record straight with a simple and honest answer to a question.

Also, surprised no one made any Tick references...

allenw
2010-08-16, 02:05 PM

I suspect it crossed some people's minds, but mentioning it seemed imprudent. :smallwink:

homersolo
2010-08-16, 03:50 PM

I'm sure this has been said before but.....

A) What? Did you get an "F" in Body Shapes when you painted a stick figure when the nude model came in?

B) How ashamed are your professors/university that their prized pupil draws stick figures for a living?

C) Yeah, you went to art school. For a about a week!

D) You went to art school? Did you get a Masters in Crayon? A PhD in Straight Lines?

F) What kind of effed up models did you see at Art School that had two different sized shoes?

The opportunities are endless!

:)

E)

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-16, 04:07 PM

A) What? Did you get an "F" in Body Shapes when you painted a stick figure when the nude model came in?

To that I answer this. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0339.html) :smallwink:

Marnath
2010-08-16, 04:08 PM
Flaming the Giant seems like a bad idea dude. As to the topic, is it bad i didn't notice the moon looked odd until you guys pointed it out? :smallredface:

SPoD
2010-08-16, 04:11 PM
B) How ashamed are your professors/university that their prized pupil draws stick figures for a living?

The key phrase here is for a living. I'm going to bet the answer is therefore, "Not very ashamed at all."

Assuming you don't already know, Rich has drawn plenty of stuff for this site or others better than OOTS. As just mentioned on another thread, he drew the Nale/Thog mug shots in OOTS #339. He drew the art for "The Gleaner" article under the Gaming sidebar, to your left. A while back, there was a thread in Arts & Crafts wherein he posted about a dozen fantasy drawings he had done.

EDIT: Found the thread, but for some reason the artwork isn't showing up: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74508

Marnath
2010-08-16, 04:13 PM
A while back, there was a thread in Arts & Crafts wherein he posted about a dozen fantasy drawings he had done.

He did? O.o
I would be very interested in seeing that if you can find a link. :smallsmile:

Toper
2010-08-16, 04:56 PM
What are you, some kind of intentionalist critic? Clearly either an eclipse or some sort of catastrophic moon laser accident.

Marnath
2010-08-16, 04:58 PM
What are you, some kind of intentionalist critic? Clearly either an eclipse or some sort of catastrophic moon laser accident.

How exactly could Rich be a critic? He's the author in question. :smallconfused:
*is sorry if he's missing a reference*

Toper
2010-08-16, 05:15 PM
How exactly could Rich be a critic? He's the author in question. :smallconfused:
*is sorry if he's missing a reference*
It's funny because instead of treating the Giant as the author of the work, the post presumed him to be in the same position as amateur forum critics such as ourselves, then upbraided him for taking the (much-contested) literary-theoretical stance which considers the author's own interpretation to be privileged and important, thus wrongly but plausibly re-interpreting his factual correction as an invalid argument for aw, screw it. MOON LASER

Marnath
2010-08-16, 05:32 PM
I guess so. I still have trouble imagining you could mistake him though, the website is named Giant in the playground, and he's The Giant.

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-16, 05:32 PM
It's funny because instead of treating the Giant as the author of the work, the post presumed him to be in the same position as amateur forum critics such as ourselves, then upbraided him for taking the (much-contested) literary-theoretical stance which considers the author's own interpretation to be privileged and important, thus wrongly but plausibly re-interpreting his factual correction as an invalid argument for aw, screw it. MOON LASER

There's only one answer to that.

MOON!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7a-Vf8CFo4)

Orzel
2010-08-16, 05:36 PM
The Giant is feeding you all lies.
The truth is:

Someone bit the moon.

*shakes fist*
Accursed Cookie Monsters!

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-16, 05:38 PM
The truth is:

Someone bit the moon.

*shakes fist*

It's all DD's fault, even though I was the one who bet him that he couldn't take a bite out of the moon.

grarrrg
2010-08-16, 05:45 PM

You all fail horrribly.
We get a good 20+ posts down on a __DND__ related forum and no one thinks to point out that:
A WIZARD DID IT!!!

JessGulbranson
2010-08-16, 05:47 PM

Yeah, I'm surprised no one has busted his answer with "Citation Needed". :smallamused:

The Giant
2010-08-16, 05:51 PM

C) Yeah, you went to art school. For a about a week!

D) You went to art school? Did you get a Masters in Crayon? A PhD in Straight Lines?

F) What kind of effed up models did you see at Art School that had two different sized shoes?

The opportunities are endless!

:)

E)

Actually, what I learned in art school was the importance of choosing a style for your work that is appealing and appropriate to the mood you are trying to communicate, how to compose a page and balance text and image elements, how to communicate ideas with images regardless of their anatomical accuracy, how to use vector art programs like Adobe Illustrator, how to use color properly, how to simplify complex shapes into iconic symbols that are recognizable nonetheless, how to prepare a book to be printed, and how to run an independent business that deals with issues like copyrights, trademarks, and the like. I have a degree in Graphic Design, not Fine Art, though it's easy to forget that most people think art school is exactly what they see in the movies: naked people and pencil drawings, nothing more or less.

On the plus side, they did manage to teach me the proper sequence for the first six letters of the alphabet.

Marnath
2010-08-16, 05:55 PM
On the plus side, they did manage to teach me the proper sequence for the first six letters of the alphabet.

Can i sig that? :smallsmile:
*edit Nah, i guess i shouldn't :smalltongue:

GSFB
2010-08-16, 09:11 PM
Someone bit the moon.

FINALLY! A Tick reference!

Best. Comeback. EVER!

it's easy to forget that most people think art school is exactly what they see in the movies: naked people and pencil drawings

SIGN ME UP!!!

Seriously, though, we appreciate your art and are glad you went to art school to learn about... whatever the heck they teach you... can't believe they don't cover astronomy... what are they teaching kids these days?

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-16, 09:52 PM
Seriously, though, we appreciate your art and are glad you went to art school to learn about... whatever the heck they teach you... can't believe they don't cover astronomy... what are they teaching kids these days?

Well, considering it's ART school, and he went there for GRAPHIC DESIGN...

Gardening?

tassaron
2010-08-17, 12:15 AM
I've seen moons like that a million times in media. The Kirby series, for example. Mistake or intention, it's just a pretty shape in the sky. :|

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-17, 01:07 AM
I've seen moons like that a million times in media. The Kirby series, for example. Mistake or intention, it's just a pretty shape in the sky. :|

I'm pretty sure that a giant mass of rock large enough to form into a sphere under it's own gravity that actively effects the planet it orbist and has been a center of many myths and also a center of many calendars is more than "just a shape", but yeah, sure.

EDIT: And Kirby's about a sentient pink puffball that can easily swallow being larger than he is to steal their powers and lives on a star-shaped planet with a penguin with a mallet. Yeah, Kirby is exactly where you go for astronomical accuracy.

Naia
2010-08-17, 05:25 AM
A WIZARD DID IT!!!

No -
A GIANT DID IT!!!

DemLep
2010-08-17, 05:39 AM
No -
A GIANT DID IT!!!

A giant wizard with a earth wand.

BadAndyMk3
2010-08-17, 11:30 AM
So.... it ISN'T a space station?

I just looked at it and thought "Big desert moon. Good moon for looking at from a secluded balcony during a fancy state party."

brionl
2010-08-17, 08:03 PM
The truth is:

Someone bit the moon.

*shakes fist*

I Think You Mean:
Cookie Moonsters!

Dr.Epic
2010-08-18, 08:30 AM
No, it's not the moon. It's a cookie someone took a bite out of.

Beren
2010-08-18, 08:59 AM
I suppose I should point out that since the disc of the nearer body is significantly smaller than the further one, it's more properly called a transit than an eclipse.

Valifor
2010-08-18, 09:22 AM
I suppose I should point out that since the disc of the nearer body is significantly smaller than the further one, it's more properly called a transit than an eclipse.

but wait.... don't you still call a solar eclipse an eclipse, despite the fact that the moon is WAY smaller than the sun?

hamishspence
2010-08-18, 09:34 AM
Even when the moon is far enough away, that it will "transit" the sun rather than eclipse it completely, it's still called an eclipse- an annular eclipse.

Hmm- if the "moon" was actually close in size to the OoTS world, and the OoTS world was the eclipsing body, wouldn't the "shadow" cast on the "moon" be slightly smaller than the moon itself?

Hence, you could have an "annular lunar eclipse".

NerfTW
2010-08-18, 12:15 PM

I had to take an art history class to get my computer science degree. That was $500 I'll never get back.

Someday, I want to have a massive class action lawsuit against colleges that tack on generic courses onto every degree, no matter how unrelated they are to the subject.

BadAndyMk3
2010-08-18, 12:45 PM
I had to take an art history class to get my computer science degree. That was $500 I'll never get back.

Someday, I want to have a massive class action lawsuit against colleges that tack on generic courses onto every degree, no matter how unrelated they are to the subject.

Thats what a four-year degree is for; to get a broad education. If you didn't like it, you shoudla gone to tech school.

Forum Staff
2010-08-18, 05:40 PM
Question asked and answered, by the Giant no less. This thread has since devolved into discussion of astronomy and art school.