PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Hierophant questions.

Charzy
2010-08-16, 12:39 AM
My DM is making a new campaign for me and my friends to play in.
From what i have been able to gather from him we're going to be involved in a planar war so now its character making time.

My party consists of a water-orc dragonborn warblade, a Human Ki master (which is a Home-brew class, pretty much Goku from dragon ball z), and a Lesser Aasamar dragonborn Soul knife going Soul bow.
I'm planning on making an Arcane Hierophant going Human or Lesser Aasamar.

Level 3 no LA no flaws
I have 10 ,12 ,16 ,16 ,18 ,10 for my stats.
I want to fill the roll of battle field control, batman, and out of combat healing (probably wands of lesser vigor).
Most of my control spells I plan will be from druid spell list and for the Swiss-army-knife from transmutation wizard. because of this I try to Give myself a good DC for my druid spells.

I have a habit of making the best character I can using handbooks and bouncing ideas of people as much as possible before playing a character. Now I would like to ask the general community some questions about this character.

1. If I take the simple Druid variant from Unearthed arcana, where I drop armor, shield prof. and wild shape. In order to gain Wis to ac and Move bonus as a monk, And favored enemy, track, and swift tracker. If, when I go into Arcane Hierophant, will i be able to gain wild shape anyway from the prestige class?

2. If I take the simple wizard variant to trade my familiar for a animal companion, will I then have 2 animal companions from wizard and druid? and would the feat natural bond affect both of them?

3. Is taking the feats Prodigy Spell caster Wizard/Druid worth the time? and any suggested feats? I have Natural bond, Practiced spell caster, and the above feats planned out so far. Also Natural spell at level 9 then I do not know.

4. Good druid control spells? Spell compendium is available but I will not have the chance to look through it until next week a couple of hours before we start playing.

FMArthur
2010-08-16, 01:06 AM
This is completely insignificant and I'm not awake enough to look at the rest but if you came to those stats through point buy, you can age your character one category and redistribute your extra 5 points worth of ability score from Int and Wis back into the physical stats lost to effectively gain 1 charisma for free. :smallcool:

TooManyBadgers
2010-08-16, 01:34 AM
1. Technically, yes, but don't expect it to be acceptable.

2. No and no. "The druid’s class levels stack with levels of any other classes that are entitled to an animal companion for the purpose of determining the companion’s abilities and the alternative lists available to the character. "

3. Probably not, especially if you're already throwing 3 feat slots away just to cover for multiclass deficiencies. Even a reserve feat would probably be more useful.

4. I'm not going to have time for a satisfying answer, so I'm going to leave this for someone else.

Charzy
2010-08-16, 02:58 AM
2. No and no. "The druid’s class levels stack with levels of any other classes that are entitled to an animal companion for the purpose of determining the companion’s abilities and the alternative lists available to the character. "

Thanks for your input, but this brings another question.
If by using the simple variant for wizard to trade my familiar for an animal companion, will when I'm say, Druid4/Wiz3 will my effective level for my animal companion be 7?
Getting rid of my need for the Natural bond feat altogether?

Also my stats were rolled, and aging to old or venerable is an option i may or may not take. probably wont unless it makes all the difference.

TooManyBadgers
2010-08-16, 08:09 AM
If by using the simple variant for wizard to trade my familiar for an animal companion, will when I'm say, Druid4/Wiz3 will my effective level for my animal companion be 7?
5, actually. The variant advances your AC like a Ranger.