PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for a Psion

Cheesy74
2010-08-16, 07:56 AM
I'm making a 12th-level shaper psion designed for battlefield control. I've got everything together except for his equipment, but am having issues with what to purchase aside from a Headband of Intellect.
I only have 27,000gp to spend (23,000 after the headband purchase), since our DM's running a fairly low-magic world, so I'd like to know what some priority equipment would be for a psion.
I can link my character sheet if needed.

Noodles2375
2010-08-16, 08:16 AM
I'm making a 12th-level shaper psion designed for battlefield control. I've got everything together except for his equipment, but am having issues with what to purchase aside from a Headband of Intellect.
I only have 27,000gp to spend (23,000 after the headband purchase), since our DM's running a fairly low-magic world, so I'd like to know what some priority equipment would be for a psion.
I can link my character sheet if needed.

A decent cognizance crystal is always a super investment.

Psionic characters have a neat interaction with power stones, you can use your own PP's to fuel a power from a power stone, so pick through thelist of out of combat powers that your psion doesn't know already that seem useful, and get power stones imprinted with them. I've taken power stones wth:
My Light, Know Direction/Location, Missive, Identify, Sustenance, Tongues, Danger Sense, Darkvision, at various points and they've come in handy.

A third eye of concentration can be really nice if you know there will be lots of combat,

If you don't have inertial armor, bracers of armor might not be a terrible investment, and almost everyone extracts value from a cloak of resistance.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-16, 08:20 AM
If you don't have inertial armor, bracers of armor might not be a terrible investment, and almost everyone extracts value from a cloak of resistance.

Actual armor/shield isn't bad either, considering the only problem will be the ACP->attack penalty.

Cheesy74
2010-08-16, 08:28 AM
I considered getting a masterwork studded leather armor, but since I dipped into Metamind for two levels exclusively for buffs and possibly Astral Construct manifestation, I figure I'll always have a fully augmented Inertial Armor up, and since the two don't stack there's no real point.
And thanks to the two Metamind levels my psicrystal is a Cognizance Crystal 5, but...am I missing something, or does a cognizance crystal do very little except increase your power point pool by X very small amount for an exorbitantly high price? It provides rollover points in a sense, but that still does very little.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-16, 08:32 AM
I considered getting a masterwork studded leather armor, but since I dipped into Metamind for two levels exclusively for buffs and possibly Astral Construct manifestation, I figure I'll always have a fully augmented Inertial Armor up, and since the two don't stack there's no real point.
And thanks to the two Metamind levels my psicrystal is a Cognizance Crystal 5, but...am I missing something, or does a cognizance crystal do very little except increase your power point pool by X very small amount for an exorbitantly high price? It provides rollover points in a sense, but that still does very little.
There is if you enhance it with something other than direct enhancements. Like, for example, death ward.

Drogorn
2010-08-16, 08:56 AM
Both a torc of power preservation and an orange ioun stone would serve you well. The torc makes your powers cost 1 power point less, and the ioun stone lets you spend one more power point on powers(under default magic-psionics transparency rules).

Both are on the SRD.

And...now I've just read that you can't afford either one. Oh well, keep them in mind for saving up for.

WinWin
2010-08-16, 10:38 AM
a dorje or two could be cheap. You will get a lot of mileage out of an attack or unaumentable buff. A 1st level dorje is 750 gold and gives 50 uses. a 4th level is around 20k gold...

The Glyphstone
2010-08-16, 10:46 AM
Psions like Con as much as any other caster - an Amulet of Health can't go amiss.

lord_khaine
2010-08-16, 11:21 AM
I would advice against both the Conizance crystal and the levels in Metamind, the later is actualy a trap.

As for gear then as allready mentioned you cant go wrong with a Con boost, as well as a cloak of resistance.