PDA

View Full Version : Wildshape ranger level details?

gomipile
2010-08-16, 10:38 AM
In the SRD, it says:

Ranger
A ranger might forgo training in weapon combat in exchange for the ability to take animal form and move swiftly through the woodlands.

Gain
Wild shape (as druid; Small or Medium animals only), fast movement (as barbarian).

Lose
Combat style, improved combat style, combat style mastery.

At what character levels does the ranger gain these two class abilities? My confusion comes from the fact that typically alternate class features kick in at the same level as the features you lose to gain them.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-16, 10:40 AM
You gain Wild Shape (as Druid) and Fast Movement (as Barbarian), so you get Wild Shape when a Druid would get Wild Shape and Fast Movement when a Barbarian would get Fast Movement.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-16, 10:42 AM
I am not sure if it is RAW but it is generally assumed you get them at the levels you would normally get them.

In this particular case fast movemet at level 1 and wildshape at level 5

FMArthur
2010-08-16, 10:44 AM
In the SRD, it says:

At what character levels does the ranger gain these two class abilities? My confusion comes from the fact that typically alternate class features kick in at the same level as the features you lose to gain them.

Well... they often don't. You get it at the same level as a druid, because it says "as druid".

gomipile
2010-08-16, 11:19 AM
Okay, another question. Since the character I want to do this with is a Swift Hunter build Ranger/Scout, does the fast movement (as barbarian) stack with the scout's fast movement in the way that evasion from multiple classes does? (or if not by RAW, should it stack by RAI)

Or would taking this ACF mean that my character gives up combat style in exchange for precisely squat until level 9, when he gets ranger level 5?

Person_Man
2010-08-16, 11:32 AM
Okay, another question. Since the character I want to do this with is a Swift Hunter build Ranger/Scout, does the fast movement (as barbarian) stack with the scout's fast movement in the way that evasion from multiple classes does? (or if not by RAW, should it stack by RAI)

As far as I know, yes. The Barbarian's Fast Movement is untyped. It stacks with everything.

Or would taking this ACF mean that my character gives up combat style in exchange for precisely squat until level 9, when he gets ranger level 5?

Every time a Wildshape Ranger takes another level of Wildshape Ranger, his Wildshape ability improves. The HD of the creatures he can turn into, the duration of each Wildshape use, and the number of times per day he can Wildshape all increase. The only thing he lacks is the ability to gain new forms (Large, Tiny, Plant, Elemental). But this can be fixed with feats or prestige classes.

Giving up bonus feats is a very small price to pay. It's like giving up a bag of Cheetos in exchange for a 7 course meal at the French Laundry.

gomipile
2010-08-16, 11:51 AM
As far as I know, yes. The Barbarian's Fast Movement is untyped. It stacks with everything.

Every time a Wildshape Ranger takes another level of Wildshape Ranger, his Wildshape ability improves. The HD of the creatures he can turn into, the duration of each Wildshape use, and the number of times per day he can Wildshape all increase. The only thing he lacks is the ability to gain new forms (Large, Tiny, Plant, Elemental). But this can be fixed with feats or prestige classes.

Giving up bonus feats is a very small price to pay. It's like giving up a bag of Cheetos in exchange for a 7 course meal at the French Laundry.

Oh, I think it would be great after level 9. It is just that the campaign is at level 3 currently, and we only get to play for a couple hours a week.

I wanted to give up the combat style because the way the character is developing, neither path would do him much good.