PDA

View Full Version : Paladin of Tyranny and Blackguard synergy?

ZiggZagg
2010-08-16, 11:00 AM
So as a DM, I guess it's my job to make a ruling on a combo a player approached me with. He wants to use the Paladin of Tyranny and go into Blackguard. The question is on the Aura of Despair that they both get. Do they stack? It has always been my understanding that any abilities gained by 2 classes of the same name do not stack. Is that the case here?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-16, 11:16 AM
Yes, I think the actual ruling is somewhere in the stacking rules in the SRD.

Now if you don't mind point your player to the Hexblade (CWar) and the ACF Shadow Companion (IIRC) in the PHBII which trades the familiar for a moving -2 penalty.

ZiggZagg
2010-08-16, 11:19 AM
I knew about that part, because I've made a build like that before. I suppose it could stack since the penalty doesn't have a type to it...interesting

Mezmote
2010-08-16, 11:20 AM
It is my understanding that they don't stack. He might want to go the other way around and be a Paladin of Slaughter and get Debilitating Aura instead as those would stack and benefit him. The two classes are already pretty good together, as the build would get Charisma to saves twice.

I once build a similar character with 4 levels of Hexblade with the dark companion ACF. He was a total nightmare in melee, with intimidate and the debuffs + power attack. He had good HP and AC, incredible saves, decent damage output and a great boon for the group as they could hit with more attacks and spells as well.

Person_Man
2010-08-16, 11:49 AM
Class abilities with the exact same name do not stack unless they explicitly say so.

However, he can accomplish very similar results by using the Hexblade with a PHBII Dark Companion in place of his Familiar (although he should really take Obtain Familiar anyway - familiars can rock when played properly). There are also dozens of other debuff effects out there, if that's his goal.

There's also the Evil Blessing feat from Elder Evils. As a Standard Action you gain a Profane bonus to your Saves equal to your Cha score. This lasts 5 rounds. If you damage to an enemy with a Good subtype or aura, the bonus is doubled (so find something with a Good subtype or aura, bind him an keep him prisoner, and then stab him whenever you activate this ability).

ZiggZagg
2010-08-17, 08:33 AM
@ Mezmote-Unfortunately, the Paladin of Slaughter doesn't quite fit the concept he is looking for, but I will make a mention of it in any case

@ Person_Man-He was going to take the Dark Companion class feature, as most of us don't see the point behind a familiar. IS there something that I'm missing that can make them so rockin'?