PDA

View Full Version : UKitP meet VII "X-mas/Winter" Sheffield 04/12/10 *UPDATED Nov 23, 2010*

Pages : [1] 2 3

Archonic Energy
2010-08-16, 11:13 AM
The story so far...

1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38035) (though this mentions an earlier one)
2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52714)
3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66784)
4 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87771) Totally DID happen even if no-one else came!
5 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112309)
6 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137348) The Archon triumphed over the Hippie
(if i missed one please send a link)

Date= 04/12/2010*
Location= Sheffield Octagon Centre
Time= 10:00 to 21:00

Cost is free.

Drinks: No alcohol allowed in the function room. There are many nearby bars, however, and the Octagon has vending machines.

Catering: Not included, but nearby Union sells sandwiches, as well as having several other options (pasty shop, salad bar, restaurant bar, fast food)

Accommodation: Up to 6 people at my someone's house for night before and after, including a double bed (priority to those with a bad back, or similar), rest is probably floor space, so bring a sleeping bag. Also, Oakbrook View Hostel is nearby (328 Fulwood Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S10 3BN; 0114 230 4859) or a STA Travel near a tram stop. (98 Devonshire Street, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S3 7SF ; 0871 702 9845)

Travel instructions
(This should probably end up in the main post)

These instructions are for those arriving on the day. For those coming to mine the day before, instructions will follow via PM.

Train:
From Sheffield train station, head to the back of the station to the tram stop. (If you find shops and a foyer, you've gone to the front, but the tram stop is pretty clearly signposted IIRC.)

Take the tram toward Malin-Bridge/Middlewood to University of Sheffield. (You don't cross the tramlines for that, IIRC.) Blue-route trams go directly there, purple-route trams turn around at Cathedral, so you'll need to change there. (From Cathedral, you can take blue- or yellow-route trams. If all this sounds confusing, don't worry, it's much easier once you're there and have a diagram (http://www.thetrams.co.uk/supertram/diagram.gif).)

Once you get off the tram, simply walk the short distance to the Octagon Centre (Link to Google Map) (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Upper+Hanover+St%2FA61&daddr=53.38022,-1.4847+to:Glossop+Ln&hl=en&geocode=FWGGLgMdS1rp_w%3BFXyELgMdZFjp_ym_NF-UeIJ5SDHBWhhcN9EPEw%3BFcqFLgMdHUvp_w&mra=dvme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=17&via=1&dirflg=w&sll=53.380436,-1.484957&sspn=0.003328,0.010568&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17)

Car:

The official University webpage advises (http://www.shef.ac.uk/visitors/mapsandtravel/car.html) that you go to Meadowhall or Nunnery Square and use the park-and-ride (see instructions above for tram routes). The inner city parking is not reliable (and lots of the parking around the place needs a special permit, which I can't get.)

Coach:

From Meadowhall, find the tram stop (which is by the rail services) and follow the instructions given for tram routes in the "train" section.

Possible attendees (Stolen from CKG)

Defnitely coming
Cptn Spanner
Ku Has booked floor space Friday and Saturday nights
Thufir (plus two possible OOTS-reading friends???)
Curly Definitely floor space for Saturday, possible Friday
Fifty-eyed Fred Floor space for two nights
Cassie
Lensman Severely allergic to all nuts
Archie ((He has totally always been on the list)) Floorspace unless someone has greater need of it
Kobald-bard Floorspace
Tasroth
hamishspence
Eldpollard Vegetarian and floorspace please
randman Floorspace and has offered to cook
BanJo and Mrs. BanJo
GrlumpTheElder (plus possible friends?) No fish, no eggs
Jibar!!! Would need floor space - tentative placing only
LR33 + 1

Might be coming
volthawk
Malfunctioned
Charity!
Ikkie
Stadge
Lorn (depending on uni)
Aziraphale (likewise)
Timberwolf (depending on research)
Crown of Thorns (plus possible dad) Both vegetarians
MasamuneSSX
Neizck
Vampiric
Stadge

Has expressed interest, wants to come, but probably won't
Nameless
Fay Graydon
Autarkhos
Exachix
Lix Lorn
KenderWizard
Dallas-Dakota

Games
Structured (ie Long/complex/RP)

Star Wars D20 (Lensman) FULL
Wants in on the Star Wars game
Ku & his most commanderous voice
Thufir
Curly
Kobald-bard
hamishspence

Non-Structured (ie Munchkin/Bang!/Nuclear War)

BANG! +XPs AE
Peuteo Rico +XPs AE
Nuke Wars KU
Bonhanza KU/AE
Carpe Astra KU
It's Alive KU/Thufir
Fluxx Cassie/Thufir
Carcassonne Thufir/AE
Thud Thufir
The OotS game Thufir/AE
Munchkin (if Eld comes then expect mutiple variations)
Monty Python Fluxx Tasroth
Banjo's games
Board/Card Games
Battle Cattle
Ticket to Ride – North America and Switzerland
Arkham Horror with a few expansions
Munchkin Boardgame
Catan – Standard, Islands, Knights and Barbarians
Munchkin Bites (all expansions)
My Dwarves Fly
Monkey Lab
Snow Tails (Husky racing!)
Blood Bowl
Formula De (Old version)
Express Risk, Monopoly, Battleships and Cluedo
3-Dragon Ante (both decks)
Magic the Gathering
Cat in the Sack
Triple Triad and Tetra Master (The Final Fantasy VIII & IX card games)

If there’s any interest I could run:
World of Darkness - Standard, Hunter, Vampire or Geist
Dread
Call of Cthulhu
Deadlands

* none of that crazy american date system here

Jibar
2010-08-16, 11:42 AM
Obligatory "I will totally come this time and am not blatantly lying or anything at all"

Volthawk
2010-08-16, 11:45 AM
Suppose I may be able to come.

Nameless
2010-08-16, 11:50 AM
Obligatory "I will totally come this time and am not blatantly lying or anything at all"

Hey! That's my job!

:smalltongue:

Jibar
2010-08-16, 11:53 AM
Hey! That's my job!

Boy, I been promising to appear since before you were signed up.

Lousy whippersnappers and their flingle flangles.

KuReshtin
2010-08-16, 11:54 AM
We've already done London.

I suggest Glasgow (or thereabouts). Also, end of November or early December, maybe?

Boy, I been promising to appear since before you were signed up.

Lousy whippersnappers and their flingle flangles.

I can attest to this. Jibbers have said that he most certainly will definitely maybe show up since meetup 1.

Jibar
2010-08-16, 12:18 PM
I can attest to this. Jibbers have said that he most certainly will definitely maybe show up since meetup 1.

I'm probably the most prominent person to have never come to anything at all ever.

EVER.

Although yeah, I may appear.
I'm planning a trip to London sometime in December. There's this wonderful Muffin shop I love and I plan to buy a crap ton of muffins under the pretence of Christmas.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-08-16, 12:25 PM
The story so far...

1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38035) (though this mentions an earlier one)
4 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87771) Totally DID happen even if no-one else came!
6 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137348) The international meet-up

Improved your story.:smallwink:

ALso, I'd love to go again, had a tonne of fun last time, but probably won't have enough money. Especially if it's not in London.

Thufir
2010-08-16, 12:52 PM
I will come!

IIRC, Spanner said Sheffield might be a possibility. I would totally say Newcastle, except that would be contingent upon me organising it, which is unlikely.

KuReshtin
2010-08-16, 12:54 PM
I will come!

IIRC, Spanner said Sheffield might be a possibility. I would totally say Newcastle, except that would be contingent upon me organising it, which is unlikely.

Sheffield could work for me.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-08-16, 02:57 PM
I'm in.
For me at least, end of November's preferable to early December as I'll be packing up and going home around about the fifth.
Plus if it's in late November I'll be further up north and more likely to make it.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-08-16, 03:20 PM
I'll do what I did last time and express a particularly non-committal form of interest. :smalltongue:

Obviously for me, the further south it is the easier it will be to get there.

Prime32
2010-08-16, 03:23 PM
I think you should double-check your Roman numbers. :smallwink:

Malfunctioned
2010-08-16, 03:25 PM
And I shall do the same as Fred!

As a Londoner I would have to say London.....but I don't think it would be too hard to get to other places, but no promises.

Nameless
2010-08-16, 03:53 PM
And I shall do the same as Fred!

As a Londoner I would have to say London.....but I don't think it would be too hard to get to other places, but no promises.

You mean like last time?

Archonic Energy
2010-08-16, 05:21 PM
I think you should double-check your Roman numbers. :smallwink:

i'm sure i have no idea what you are talking about... :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2010-08-16, 05:31 PM
i'm sure i have no idea what you are talking about... :smalltongue:

Agreed. Looks like it's been VII all the time.

Capt Spanner
2010-08-17, 08:07 AM
I may be able to host in Sheffield.

This has advantages of: 1) Being equally close to London and Glasgow; 2) I may be able to find somewhere really cheap - Sheffield is good like that, and I still have links in the Students Union 3) I have a large house so (flatmates permission pending) many people can stay over (I estimate we could let 6 or maybe even 8 stay overnight).

GrlumpTheElder
2010-08-17, 10:50 AM
Hmm, If all goes well on thursday I'll be at university in Birmingham, which will make things much easier for me to attend a meet up. So I am definatly interested...

Charity
2010-08-18, 03:31 PM
The story so far...

Totally DID happen even if no-one else came!

Hey I was there!

I will try and come to the next one, who knows I might drag Ikkie with me.

Stadge
2010-08-18, 08:13 PM
I can try, though can't guarantee anything at this juncture. Though I like the idea of a more northely meet-up, especially if it's when I'm on my uni break.

I'd suggest Manchester, but I don't know how easy that'd be for folk, or if there's anyone else local who'd be willing to sort it in my term-time-absence.

KuReshtin
2010-08-19, 04:33 AM
Personally, I would object to another meetup in London directly following the one we held there last month on the basis of two things:

1. Cost of venue
2. Cost of travel

Ok, so the cost of travel for me ended up being more than previous meets since I couldn't share the petrol costs like I did with the other meetups.
I know there are a bunch of Playgrounders that live in the London area, but to be fair, even when the meetup was set up to be in London, the Londoners didn't show up, which caused the cost of the venue to increase and border on the verge of impractical.
Also, the general cost of beverages is another thing to consider. London is EXPENSIVE!

Considering that London is the capital, it has great connections to get to pretty much anywhere, and a train from London to Sheffield only takes about 2 hours, so it's a very viable location to get to for Londoners.
If Spanner can pull some strings and call in a few favours and get a cheap venue in Sheffield, and also may be able to provide sleeping accomodation for a bunch of people, then that would make Sheffield a very attractive option, at least for me.
There are also a few Premier Inn hotels in Sheffield City Centre with decent rates for those who would opt for that, or wouldn't be able to stay at Spanner's place.

Now, what date would everyone be able to make it for?
Would late November or early December be better for people?
The Saturday dates in late November are the 20th and 27th, whereas the dates in early December would be 4th or 11th.
I don't think any closer to X-mas than that would be optimal, but it depends on what everyone (well, the majority) would be happy with.

Any thoughts on this?

Archonic Energy
2010-08-19, 04:38 AM
Hey I was there!

I will try and come to the next one, who knows I might drag Ikkie with me.

YAY!

yeah You, Ikk, and I were there as I recall.
fun times!

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-19, 04:46 AM
Hello there. Sheffield will cost me about a tenner on thetrainline so that works for me.

Not that that matters, I just figured I'd post it up.

randman22222
2010-08-19, 05:50 AM
I may be able to host in Sheffield.

This has advantages of: 1) Being equally close to London and Glasgow; 2) I may be able to find somewhere really cheap - Sheffield is good like that, and I still have links in the Students Union 3) I have a large house so (flatmates permission pending) many people can stay over (I estimate we could let 6 or maybe even 8 stay overnight).

If you could do this, I'd certainly try to come. :smallbiggrin:

@V: Hmm, that sounds quite good. :smallsmile:

KuReshtin
2010-08-19, 06:46 AM

I'd be driving down from the Glasgow area as well, so you'd be able to get a lift down south, which would possibly be cheaper than taking the train down.

Lorn
2010-08-19, 09:54 AM
Depending on how uni is going at that point, I may be able to make it if it's in Sheffield..

CurlyKitGirl
2010-08-19, 10:45 AM
Well, you already know that I'm for late November as I can practically guarantee attending - depending on essays and lectures. Besides, as it's a weekend chances are I'll have handed in an essay the day before or be writing it. ANd the train is a useful thing.
The 20th is the day I'm plumping for at the moment; because.

Jibar
2010-08-19, 11:40 AM

@V: Hmm, that sounds quite good. :smallsmile:

Wait, randman is British?

My world has been flipped turned upside down

Dallas-Dakota
2010-08-19, 12:02 PM
Randman is not British.

He is in fact, the gentlemen world-traveller extraordinaire

randman22222
2010-08-20, 12:10 AM
Wait, randman is British?

My world has been flipped turned upside down

I gotta say, this was incredibly amusing. :smallbiggrin:

D-D got it correct.

Lyesmith
2010-08-21, 03:38 PM
London / Brighton would be good for me. I live near the former and go to uni near the latter.

Also I'm on an artsy course, so I'll probably have massive weekends.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-08-21, 04:12 PM
Also I'm on an artsy course, so I'll probably have massive weekends.

On an arts course you don't so much as have weekends as have one day a week where you actually have to work.
Your weekends are now six days long.
And that's on weeks when you actually have to hand in work.

Also:
Yay!

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-21, 04:26 PM
On an arts course you don't so much as have weekends as have one day a week where you actually have to work.
Your weekends are now six days long.
And that's on weeks when you actually have to hand in work.

Also:
Yay!

Oh thank god. I thought I'd been missing something really important that I was supposed to be doing those days :smalltongue:

Castaras
2010-08-21, 05:38 PM
Ohai! *waves*

I'll be there. If I can poke Lensman to drive me there again. If I can't... I'll get a train!

Timberwolf
2010-08-21, 07:10 PM
I registered interest last time, so I suppose I ought to reaffirm that if we're vaguely close to the Midlans, I'll try to come along, research permitting. If Cassie hasn't tried to murder me at least once, I'd say I'm losing my edge.

*aims a midget launcher at Cassie*

Castaras
2010-08-22, 03:15 AM
*gets out pissed drow*

Bring it on! :smallbiggrin:

GrlumpTheElder
2010-08-22, 06:18 AM
Sheffield could work for me.

I'm now going to Uni in Bradford, so Sheffield is a definite possiblilty for me.

Capt Spanner
2010-08-22, 07:33 AM
I'm finding a suitable venue in Sheffield. As soon as I can confirm a venue I'll post details, and how much it would cost.

Last_resort_33
2010-08-22, 09:53 AM
A lot of pubs, at least ones not right in a city centre, will often let you use a room for free if you either a) buy a small buffet for like £50 or £5 per head or something, or b) If you promise that we will buy lots of beer. (although, apart from the first two we did, there hasn't been a heck of a lot of alcohol consumption as far as I remember)

Try looking at chain pubs on the outskirts of cities, preferably on major roads. These tend to be big and friendly and not "Local" pubs. Don't bother with "conference rooms" and the like as they tend to be very expensive.

If it's in Sheffield, I might be able to come, but since the rate comics has decreased, so have my visits to the boards

Etcetera
2010-08-22, 01:13 PM
The souther, the better.

Expressing tentative interest, if I can find my way down without any major injuries or other emergencies.

Archonic Energy
2010-08-23, 11:57 AM
If it's in Sheffield, I might be able to come, but since the rate comics has decreased, so have my visits to the boards

So...

... :smallamused:

... :smallbiggrin:

you know what's coming right?

... :smallwink:

Eldpollard
2010-08-23, 12:16 PM
I'll try and get to this one. The last one was a lot of fun. But I will be in Aberystwyth by that time, and let me tell you, Aberystwyth does not have good travel connections.
That said if we can do it during uni Christmas holidays I'll be fine for Sheffield as I do live somewhat close to it.

Archonic Energy
2010-08-23, 12:21 PM
I'll try and get to this one. The last one was a lot of fun. But I will be in Aberystwyth by that time, and let me tell you, Aberystwyth does not have good travel connections.
That said if we can do it during uni Christmas holidays I'll be fine for Sheffield as I do live somewhat close to it.

relevent link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJgu4Qtf4rA&feature=search) IN LONDON

Eldpollard
2010-08-24, 07:33 AM
WEll I just had a shufty on national rail. It'll take 4 and a half hours to get from Aberystwyth to Sheffield. So I'll happily come (I don't mind long journeys, but I will need somewhere to stay the night before I think. And the night after. I don't fancy nine hours of travel in one day.

Etcetera
2010-08-24, 08:08 AM
Looks pretty expensive for me - £50 for a child return...

I may have to start saving.

Capt Spanner
2010-08-24, 09:45 AM

Travel to London always costs more. Also, you can anywhere in Sheffield from the train station for less than a single on the tube in London. Also, Sheffield is much cheaper to buy anything (food, drink, etc...)

Dr. Bath
2010-08-24, 11:23 AM

Where are you looking? Trainline generally grants large savings, if you're willing to catch a specific train. The various discount cards can help too, if you don't already have one.

KuReshtin
2010-08-24, 11:26 AM
WEll I just had a shufty on national rail. It'll take 4 and a half hours to get from Aberystwyth to Sheffield. So I'll happily come (I don't mind long journeys, but I will need somewhere to stay the night before I think. And the night after. I don't fancy nine hours of travel in one day.

I'll be going down on the Friday in either case and won't go back until the Sunday, so if Spanner's house isn't available on the Friday night, we could always sort something out.

Oh, btw, this is probably going to sound a bit bad, but I just realised my mom turns 60 this year, and her birthday is late November, so I will not be available for one of the weekends there. Not sure which weekend, though. At least not yet.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-08-24, 12:47 PM

You tried getting one of those discount cards? I think you can get child ones somewhere.
If you're over 16 get a 16-25 rail card. You get a third off.

Assuming it's still during term time it'll take two and a half hours there and back. Plus the fare'll be around about £30 if I pick specific trains.

So you can . . .
Ah.
Unless the meetup's on the 27th of November you can pretty much guarantee my attendance.

Lensman
2010-08-24, 12:54 PM
Or you can steal a parent's car and get them to drive you there. :smallbiggrin:

ohai, I stole dad's account!

Jibar
2010-08-24, 12:59 PM

My God.
But then... WHO IS CASTARAS

CurlyKitGirl
2010-08-24, 01:48 PM

Ca . . . ssie?
But, Lensman? Who?

Lensman is Cassie, and Cassie is Lensman.
SO who is who? ANd who isn't who?

Fay Graydon
2010-08-24, 01:52 PM
Why not have it in the west country? ;D
Yeah Your right... dumb idea ._.

But Seriously, Poole would be a viable location I think (for us south bound Playgrounders)

Thufir
2010-08-24, 02:08 PM
Ca . . . ssie?
But, Lensman? Who?

So who is who? And who isn't who?

Well, a British sailor is any man's equal, excepting mine. So, if I were to join the Royal Navy, I would be any man's equal excepting mine. Thus making me equal to everyone but me. If we then take 'equal' as an approximation to 'equivalent', I am approximately everyone else in the world, but I am definitely not myself.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-08-24, 02:12 PM
You can easily differ them by that Cassie is cuter then Lensman or Thufir.:smalltongue:

Autarkhos
2010-08-24, 02:54 PM
Can I suggest up North? I mean, it may be grim up here, but that just helps the atmosphere - right?

Eldpollard
2010-08-24, 06:04 PM
Can I suggest up North? I mean, it may be grim up here, but that just helps the atmosphere - right?

But what do you define as up north? We're already talking about Sheffield which is fairly north. Although for me it's a little bit south.

Autarkhos
2010-08-25, 03:58 AM
But what do you define as up north? We're already talking about Sheffield which is fairly north. Although for me it's a little bit south.

Personally, I believe Sheffield is way too far east. :smallcool:

The wester, the bester I say. Man, that didn't even rhyme a tiny bit AND I mangled two words. Poetic license?

Castaras
2010-08-25, 04:02 AM
My excuse is I was tipsy on champagne.

My God.

Dunno. never heard of such a person.

Ca . . . ssie?
But, Lensman? Who?

I'm you. I'm everybody. You're all just a figment of my imagination.

You can easily differ them by that Cassie is cuter then Lensman or Thufir.:smalltongue:

x)

Archonic Energy
2010-08-25, 05:50 AM

My God.

Ca . . . ssie?
But, Lensman? Who?

Dunno. never heard of such a person.

I'm you. I'm everybody. You're all just a figment of my imagination.

if you're him and he's you and he's him and your him

am I still me?

if not who's drinking this tea?
*slurp*

smellie_hippie
2010-08-25, 05:58 AM
if you're him and he's you and he's him and your him

am I still me?

if not who's drinking this tea?
*slurp*

Gods above I love Red Dwarf...
*stab*

Exachix
2010-08-25, 06:43 AM
I'd possibly come if it was in Birmingham again - it depends on which weekend as if it's in term time I LARP and may be engaged in that.

Thufir
2010-08-25, 07:18 AM
Personally, I believe Sheffield is way too far east. :smallcool:

The wester, the bester I say. Man, that didn't even rhyme a tiny bit AND I mangled two words. Poetic license?

No no no no no. The Northeast is an excellent place. Northwest? Is there even anything there? :smalltongue:

factotum
2010-08-25, 11:40 AM
No no no no no. The Northeast is an excellent place. Northwest? Is there even anything there? :smalltongue:

Sheffield is hardly the North East--that doesn't really start until you get to York! :smallsmile:

Thufir
2010-08-27, 12:41 PM
Sheffield is hardly the North East--that doesn't really start until you get to York! :smallsmile:

I was speaking more generally, in response to Autarkhos' up north suggestion and 'the wester the bester' comment, rather than specifically referring to Sheffield.

And lo, the thread was bumped.

KuReshtin
2010-09-02, 07:15 AM
So, is it too early for us to start discussing dates?
*Subtle bump*
I just realised that it's my mom's 60th birthday around the time we've kind of discussed so far, so I likely won't be able to make it if it's on the weekend of the 24th-25th of November.

Other than that, I'm free most other weekends.

When can all of you all attend?

Archonic Energy
2010-09-02, 07:16 AM
me thinks it's time for one of those magical table thingies.

{table]Name|6/7 Nov|13/14 Nov|20/21 Nov|27/28 Nov|4/5 Dec|11/12 Dec|18/19 Dec|25/26 Dec|1/2 Jan|8/9 Jan|15/16 Jan|22/23 Jan|29/30 Jan|5/6 Feb|12/13 Feb|19/20 Feb|26/27 Feb
Archie|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|N o|No|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|may be|maybe|
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
[/table]
Shamelessly stolen from the last meet thread

Nameless
2010-09-02, 07:24 AM
This event must commence. If not for ourselves, then for our country! FOR THE QUEEN!

Though I often wonder if The Queen ever gets an empty picture frame, holds it up in front of her face and pretends to be a stamp.

KuReshtin
2010-09-02, 07:40 AM
{table]Name|6/7 Nov|13/14 Nov|20/21 Nov|27/28 Nov|4/5 Dec|11/12 Dec|18/19 Dec|25/26 Dec|1/2 Jan|8/9 Jan|15/16 Jan|22/23 Jan|29/30 Jan|5/6 Feb|12/13 Feb|19/20 Feb|26/27 Feb
Archie|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|m aybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|may be|maybe|maybe|
Ku' |Yes| Yes|Maybe |Yes|Yes |Yes|Yes|Maybe |Maybe|Yes|Yes|Yes |Yes|Yes|Yes |Yes|Yes|Yes|
[/table]

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-02, 07:55 AM

Though I often wonder if The Queen ever gets an empty picture frame, holds it up in front of her face and pretends to be a stamp.

You're a strange fellow :smallamused:

KuReshtin
2010-09-02, 07:56 AM

It'd be an awesome masquerade costume for her, though, wouldn't it?

Nameless
2010-09-02, 08:16 AM
You're a strange fellow :smallamused:

c:

It'd be an awesome masquerade costume for her, though, wouldn't it?

It would indeed be epic and amazing.

Lix Lorn
2010-09-02, 08:38 AM
Hallo. :3

I know I'd LIKE to come... but whether I can or not I have NO idea.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-02, 08:40 AM
Hallo. :3

I know I'd LIKE to come... but whether I can or not I have NO idea.

Of course you can come.

There, problem solved :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2010-09-02, 08:59 AM
Of course you can come.

There, problem solved :smalltongue:
Pft. XD I wish.

randman22222
2010-09-02, 09:06 AM
Here's mine. :smallsmile:

Archie|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|m aybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|may be|maybe|maybe|
Ku' |Yes| Yes|Maybe |Yes|Yes |Yes|Yes|Maybe |Maybe|Yes|Yes|Yes |Yes|Yes|Yes |Yes|Yes|Yes|
randman|Yes|Yes|Yes|Maybe|Maybe|No|No|No|Maybe|May be|Prolly|Yes|Yes (My Birthday :smallbiggrin:)|Yes|Yes|Yes|Yes|Yes|
[/table]

*Still pushes for Sheffield.*

banjo1985
2010-09-02, 09:11 AM
Popping in to express vague interest again, as is my thang. While I've actually managed to turn up to one meetup (being as it was on my doorstep) for the last two years something has always gotten in the way. Last time it was tickets to the speedway in Cardiff perversely enough, as I didn't even like speedway until I went!

Anyhow, if it's at or near Birmingham again I'd have the best chance of getting myself to turn up, and it has good rail links and stuff for you from *insert name of place that isn't Birmingham here* Given a lot of shouting and cajoling I could even have a look round for a venue, as the Round Oak had gawd-awful phone reception that meant Exachix never actually made it.

Of course, if I turn up the delectable Mrs B will be in tow, as she's now doing a weekday job she was actually educated to do, rather than the sucky weekend-filling gumph she was stuck doing for every other meetup. As such I will have to talk/argue/plead with her before filling in the date list of awesomeness, though I think we'd be fine most weekends given enough warning.

So...Birmingham FTW! :smalltongue:

The Succubus
2010-09-02, 09:25 AM
Will soul-for-dice trading be taking place at this event? I have a need for a couple of human souls, in reasonable condition.

Capt Spanner
2010-09-02, 09:31 AM
Update on Sheffield:

The question of has responsibility for booking out rooms is a fun problem to unravel.

I looked into booking a room for a Saturday between 20th November and 11th December in the Octagon. To do this I went to Octagon Room Bookings.

He told me Ents block book all Saturdays to use in the event of a gig. (Main hall, plus conference rooms to use as dressing rooms, hospitality, etc...)

So I went to Ents to talk to my friend, Taris, who is also the gig manager.

I pointed out 4th December, on which date a Headphone disco occurs and therefore no gig. Octagon kicks out at 10pm, an hour before the disco starts and hence no problem.

Taris agreed that there is no foreseeable reason we couldn't have that room on that date, but can't give me a price (hint: Octagon normally charge £60 for that room, so I'd consider that a maximum).

Nor can he officially confirm it because he doesn't have the authority.

Short version:

Provisional date: 4th December. Cost <£60. No catering or bar, but Union nearby sells cheap and delicious food in many guises, and we'd be able to buy bottled drinks and take them in. Times: 10am - 10pm. Accomodation: I can sleep 6 (maybe 8 at a push) people at my house.

Will soul-for-dice trading be taking place at this event? I have a need for a couple of human souls, in reasonable condition.

I can offer mine for a fair deal, assuming I win it back from next-door neighbour's cat in our weekly poker game.

Castaras
2010-09-02, 09:46 AM
I'll poke Lensman and inform him of the dates. I can't think of any problems with the current proposition, so unless Lensman says "Nooooo we're going to be toasting hobbits that day!" or something much like that, put me and Lensman down as a near definite. :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-09-02, 10:22 AM
Don't you be frying my kin!:smallfurious:

Timberwolf
2010-09-02, 10:45 AM
I'll poke Lensman and inform him of the dates. I can't think of any problems with the current proposition, so unless Lensman says "Nooooo we're going to be toasting hobbits that day!" or something much like that, put me and Lensman down as a near definite. :smallbiggrin:

While hobbits are somewhat smaller than the girlies, I resent that remark. I shall endeavour to ensure your complete and terrible destruction in the name of the terminally undersized the world over.

So there.

Yep, still interested. Any weekend aside from Christmas itself / New Year.

KuReshtin
2010-09-02, 11:11 AM
While hobbits are somewhat smaller than the girlies, I resent that remark. I shall endeavour to ensure your complete and terrible destruction in the name of the terminally undersized the world over.

So, Nuclear War is a definite on my 'to bring' list.

Also, as I have said before, I will be driving dwn south, so seats are available for the trip down and the trip back to Scotland.
I'm reserving one seat for randman already as he's expressed interest.

Meet-dice may potentially be available (if I can afford it).
Or anyone else that feels like sorting some meet-dice will be welcome to do so. I found that Chessex was very reasonable last year, with the final price ending up at less then £1/die, including shipping and customs fees. And the guy at Chessex was very helpful in figuring out a design and sorting out a test die that he sent a picture of for review.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-09-02, 11:14 AM
And mine.

randman|Yes|Yes|Yes|Maybe|Maybe|No|No|No|Maybe|May be|Prolly|Yes|Yes (My Birthday :smallbiggrin:)|Yes|Yes|Yes|Yes|Yes|
Grlump|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|No|No|No|No|m aybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|may be|
[/table]

I can make it if I'm up at Uni (being in Bradford), but I'll be at home from the 12th to the xth of January (probably).

4th is good if I don't have a Saturday Job, otherwise I may come later.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-02, 01:18 PM
And here's mine.

Grlump|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|No|No|No|No|m aybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|maybe|may be|
Koorly |Yes |Yes |Yes |No |Maybe |Yes |Yes |No |No |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes
[/table]

I really can't do the 27th as that's the date of the Ball, and I'll be going home on the 3rd or 4th of December, so I may be able to go, depending on what Dad says.

As far as places go, well, anywhere's fine; especially if it's cheap.

Etcetera
2010-09-02, 02:15 PM
Koorly |Yes |Yes |Yes |No |Maybe |Yes |Yes |No |No |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes
CoT |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Maybe |No |No |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes
[/table]

This is of course, pending me finding out about sudden and unexpected commitments. 18th/19th is a maybe because it's my birthday, and christmas/ new year are right out from the start.

Hopefully I'll be able to stay for a bit longer this time, especially if I can rope my dad into driving me down.

And yes, bring Nuclear War. I look forward to meeting Thufir again on the field of Global Thermonuclear War.

Archonic Energy
2010-09-03, 06:27 AM
*turns over 100 Megaton card*
Ha ha!

Castaras
2010-09-03, 06:38 AM
*turns over 100 Megaton card*
Ha ha!

*points to the fact he has no satellite, warhead, bomber, or sub to put it on*

:smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2010-09-03, 06:54 AM
*points to the fact he has no satellite, warhead, bomber, or sub to put it on*

:smallbiggrin:

*pulls Stealth Bomber from hand*
heh
*nukes the 'roach*

Castaras
2010-09-03, 06:55 AM
*pulls Stealth Bomber from hand*
heh
*nukes the 'roach*

*dial goes to Dud* :smallbiggrin:

Etcetera
2010-09-03, 06:59 AM
You fools! What are you doing?

Everyone knows we nuke DD first.

KenderWizard
2010-09-03, 07:00 AM
I'm going to pop into this thread for a moment to say that I'm trying to organise a trip to the UK with a couple of my friends in the next couple of months, and if it ends up both happening and being on the same weekend as the meetup, I might be mad enough to come along to meet some more Playgrounders! But it's not hugely likely that all that lines up in our favour, unfortunately...

KuReshtin
2010-09-03, 07:18 AM
You fools! What are you doing?

Everyone knows we nuke DD first.

No, no, no, nono, no, NO!
Nuke the 'roach first. Cassie always gets some silly country where she can either use propaganda cards even during war time, or she gets new people every time she hits someone with a nuke.
Therefore, she needs to be eliminated first.

ALWAYS!

DD's just an inconvenience. He can be dealt with later.

Castaras
2010-09-03, 08:33 AM
Nuke the 'roach first. Cassie always gets some silly country where she can either use propaganda cards even during war time, or she gets new people every time she hits someone with a nuke.

ALWAYS!

*innocent eyes* Who, me?

Dallas-Dakota
2010-09-03, 08:52 AM

ALWAYS!

That's what she I said!:smalleek:

Lorn
2010-09-03, 08:53 AM
CoT |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Maybe |No |No |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes |Yes
Lorn |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe |Maybe
[/table]

:p

Everything is dependent on how uni works out at the moment, sorry I can't give anything more definite.

Castaras
2010-09-03, 09:40 AM
*makes a small reference to Cpt Spanner's most recent post*

Update on Sheffield:

The question of has responsibility for booking out rooms is a fun problem to unravel.

I looked into booking a room for a Saturday between 20th November and 11th December in the Octagon. To do this I went to Octagon Room Bookings.

He told me Ents block book all Saturdays to use in the event of a gig. (Main hall, plus conference rooms to use as dressing rooms, hospitality, etc...)

So I went to Ents to talk to my friend, Taris, who is also the gig manager.

I pointed out 4th December, on which date a Headphone disco occurs and therefore no gig. Octagon kicks out at 10pm, an hour before the disco starts and hence no problem.

Taris agreed that there is no foreseeable reason we couldn't have that room on that date, but can't give me a price (hint: Octagon normally charge £60 for that room, so I'd consider that a maximum).

Nor can he officially confirm it because he doesn't have the authority.

Short version:

Provisional date: 4th December. Cost <£60. No catering or bar, but Union nearby sells cheap and delicious food in many guises, and we'd be able to buy bottled drinks and take them in. Times: 10am - 10pm. Accomodation: I can sleep 6 (maybe 8 at a push) people at my house.

Timberwolf
2010-09-03, 03:09 PM
*innocent eyes* Who, me?

Yes you, you die first.

And a pleasure it will be too, little drow.

Capt Spanner
2010-09-07, 09:36 AM
I have a venue:

Sheffield Octagon Centre
Google maps link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=53.379943,-1.48972&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=17&sll=53.380813,-1.489828&sspn=0.003059,0.010568&ie=UTF8&z=17)

Cost is free.

Time is 10am to 9pm - earlier than usual finish, but earlier than usual start too. I have a big house that those left after 9pm would be able to come to in order to continue the meet up.

Drinks: No alcohol allowed in the function room. There are many nearby bars, however, and the Octagon has vending machines.

Catering: Not included, but nearby Union sells sandwiches, as well as having several other options (pasty shop, salad bar, restaurant bar, fast food)

Accommodation: Up to 6 people at my house for night before and after, including a double bed (priority to those with a bad back, or similar), rest is probably floor space, so bring a sleeping bag. Also, Oakbrook View Hostel is nearby (328 Fulwood Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S10 3BN; 0114 230 4859) or a STA Travel near a tram stop. (98 Devonshire Street, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S3 7SF ; 0871 702 9845)

KuReshtin
2010-09-07, 10:28 AM
I have a venue:

Sheffield Octagon Centre
Google maps link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=53.379943,-1.48972&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=17&sll=53.380813,-1.489828&sspn=0.003059,0.010568&ie=UTF8&z=17)

Cost is free.

Time is 10am to 9pm - earlier than usual finish, but earlier than usual start too. I have a big house that those left after 9pm would be able to come to in order to continue the meet up.

Accommodation: Up to 6 people at my house for night before and after, including a double bed (priority to those with a bad back, or similar), rest is probably floor space, so bring a sleeping bag. Also, Oakbrook View Hostel is nearby (328 Fulwood Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S10 3BN; 0114 230 4859) or a STA Travel near a tram stop. (98 Devonshire Street, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S3 7SF ; 0871 702 9845)

Good show, Spanner-man.
Is that for the 4th of December, or will we be able to discuss the date a bit more?

Not that it matters to me, I'll try to be there anyway.

Archonic Energy
2010-09-07, 10:37 AM
First Post Updated

hello.
*STAB HIPPIE*
i know you are out there!

smellie_hippie
2010-09-07, 11:16 AM
First Post Updated

hello.
*STAB HIPPIE*
i know you are out there!

Damn you Archie.
Damn you to hell.
:smallannoyed:
*stab*

Thufir
2010-09-07, 11:43 AM
Well, I'm free that weekend, and Sheffield is relatively accessible.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-07, 12:15 PM
Dad's sounding awkwardly amenable to iust driving up and taking my luggage back home, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to come.
I will be needing a spot to sleep, so can I bag a floorspace?

Capt Spanner
2010-09-07, 04:37 PM
Dad's sounding awkwardly amenable to iust driving up and taking my luggage back home, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to come.
I will be needing a spot to sleep, so can I bag a floorspace?

Of course you can!

Good show, Spanner-man.
Is that for the 4th of December, or will we be able to discuss the date a bit more?

Not that it matters to me, I'll try to be there anyway.

4th December was the only day I could get a room. It involved a fair amount of string pulling to get that.

If there is compelling reason to alter date/time I do have leeway to cancel within the next few weeks, but so far no-one I can see has ruled out that date.

Thufir
2010-09-07, 05:55 PM
Great! I'll talk to my OotS-reading friend who's at Sheffield uni, see if she'd be interested in joining us. And possibly providing additional sleeping space.

banjo1985
2010-09-08, 08:04 AM
Gah. 4th December is Mrs B's dads birthday...I'll have to see whether we're doing anything for that before making plans.

KuReshtin
2010-09-09, 07:28 AM
Gah. 4th December is Mrs B's dads birthday...I'll have to see whether we're doing anything for that before making plans.

Of course you are! You're treating her to a trip to the beautiful* town of Sheffield for the weekend.

*Beautiful may be up for debate, as I've only been to Sheffield once, and that was for a total of 5 hours for a football league meeting, and I only went to Don Valley Stadium, so never saw much of the town itself.

Thufir
2010-09-09, 07:40 AM
I went to Sheffield once when I was looking at universities. I made it my second choice, so it can't have been that bad.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-09-09, 04:13 PM
I went to Sheffield once when I was looking at universities. I made it my second choice, so it can't have been that bad.

Where are you at Uni at the moment?

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-09, 04:25 PM
Where are you at Uni at the moment?

He's not.
He recently graduated from Newcastle with an MMath though.

Thufir
2010-09-09, 07:43 PM
Great! I'll talk to my OotS-reading friend who's at Sheffield uni, see if she'd be interested in joining us. And possibly providing additional sleeping space.

She, and her boyfriend, sounded pretty interested. Yay guests!

GrlumpTheElder
2010-09-10, 04:24 AM
He's not.
He recently graduated from Newcastle with an MMath though.

Right, haven't been paying attention

*sits in corner with dunce cap* ...Why did I do that?

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-09-10, 11:21 AM
Right, haven't been paying attention

*sits in corner with dunce cap* ...Why did I do that?
*knocks cap off of head* Dear boy, trivia is as trivial as trivialities are to gentlemen of greater importance. Have a top hat, to top your head with a tip-top aim for the the top! *puts on top hat*

As for me, the 4th of December sounds a relatively good possibility (which is, of course, code for "I have no idea what I'll be doing on the 4th yet") and I shall mark it in my calendar.

Capt Spanner
2010-09-12, 07:00 PM
I'm going to assume that more people than Curly will be wanting a place to sleep... I'm wandering if I shouldn't cook for those who do.

Any dietary requirements? (Also, Curly, do you need a place to sleep for the night before, after or both?)

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-12, 07:57 PM
I'm going to assume that more people than Curly will be wanting a place to sleep... I'm wandering if I shouldn't cook for those who do.

Any dietary requirements? (Also, Curly, do you need a place to sleep for the night before, after or both?)

From my cooking experience last meetup Lensman is severely allergic to peanuts; and a couple of people were vegetarians, though I can't remember who right know.

As far as I know I'll definitely be needing a spot on the fourth, but as far as the night of the third goes, it depends on whether I can grab some floorspace with a friend.
See, term officially ends on the fourth, but I can sign out the previous evening after lectures are over and Dad'll take my stuff home; but I can sleep in someone's room.
I'll say a maybe for the night of the third, and give a definite answer after I start uni to find out for certain.

Archonic Energy
2010-09-13, 03:34 AM
i'll bring BANG! & Peuteo Rico... and possibly some others if requested

Jibar
2010-09-13, 03:47 AM
a couple of people were vegetarians, though I can't remember who right know.

Yo.

'cos I was totally there last time.

KuReshtin
2010-09-13, 04:28 AM

I will be coming down on the Friday night (cause setting off from Glasgow at 5am to get to the meetup would suck), and would be grateful for a place to stay.
If a lot of poor students require the floorspace, though, I'll be happy to let them have first dibs. Of course, I'll be a poor working guy, but still.

Any dietary requirements?
I'll eat anything. :smallbiggrin:
And no, that's not a challenge, BTW.

i'll bring BANG! & Peuteo Rico... and possibly some others if requested

I'll bring Nuke Wars, Bonhanza, Carpe Astra and It's Alive.

Eldpollard
2010-09-13, 05:06 AM

Providing I can get to the meet-up, which I should be able to depending on when uni terms start and end (I should really learn this) could I bag one of the available spaces?

Lensman
2010-09-13, 07:52 AM
From my cooking experience last meetup Lensman is severely allergic to peanuts.

Actually, I'm allergic to nuts of any kind, which makes it kind of difficult to cope with myself, let alone living with Castaras.

All being well, Cassie and I will drive up first thing in the morning (assuming I can kick her out of bed - these teenagers nowadays, never get up in the morning, I don't know, wasn't like that in my day...) and head back last thing, so we won't need a place to sleep.

I'm planning to inflict another Star Wars game on an unsuspecting universe. Anyone interested?

Thufir
2010-09-13, 09:20 AM
I'm planning to inflict another Star Wars game on an unsuspecting universe. Anyone interested?

YES.

I will not require sleeping space as I have very helpful parents who feel like visiting Sheffield.

Games, I have Fluxx, It's Alive!, Carcassonne, Thud and the OotS game. Tasroth has Munchkin and Monty Python Fluxx.
What with being driven down rather than getting a coach or train, I will be more able to bring games than normal. Though I realise this may still be unnecessary since other people probably have all of these games.
My guest might also have some interesting games which he could bring, I'll ask him next time I see him.

KuReshtin
2010-09-13, 09:22 AM

As if you'd need to ask if I was interested.
Canraki will be up for another adventure, mark my words.

Castaras
2010-09-13, 10:09 AM
From my cooking experience last meetup Lensman is severely allergic to peanuts; and a couple of people were vegetarians, though I can't remember who right know.

Nuts in general, not just peanuts.

Etcetera
2010-09-13, 10:11 AM
Yo.

Yep.

Damn Jibars.

I'm also a vegematarian, and so's me dad (who may also be coming). But since I think we can stay at a friend's house near Sheffield it should be too much of a problem.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-09-13, 10:53 AM
I may well need to take you up on your offer, Capt. If I do, you need not worry about any allergies or food-based -isms from me when it comes to cooking. :smallcool:

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-13, 12:20 PM
Yo.

Yep, you totally were. Iust as you will be this time around.

I will be coming down on the Friday night (cause setting off from Glasgow at 5am to get to the meetup would suck), and would be grateful for a place to stay.
If a lot of poor students require the floorspace, though, I'll be happy to let them have first dibs. Of course, I'll be a poor working guy, but still.

There are six spaces at Spanner's student digs, so I think you'll be fine bagging a spot.

Actually, I'm allergic to nuts of any kind, which makes it kind of difficult to cope with myself, let alone living with Castaras.

I was close.
Speaking of? Anyone fancy some more nut-free cookies? And this time I'll be baking much more.
Providing I can snatch enough oven time.

Yes please!
Koorlyshtka is ready and waiting.

Jibar
2010-09-13, 12:44 PM
Yep, you totally were. Iust as you will be this time around.

Yes.

This is a thing that could happen.

Capt Spanner
2010-09-13, 12:49 PM

I'll eat anything. :smallbiggrin:
And no, that's not a challenge, BTW.

So that's Curly and KuReshtin staying over.

I was thinking of making this ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42cyuwfk7O8) for everyone?

KuReshtin
2010-09-13, 12:53 PM

I was thinking of making this ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42cyuwfk7O8) for everyone?

Also, if randman is able to make it, he'll get a lift with me, so I'd suspect that he'd want a place to crash as well.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-13, 01:15 PM
Since Sheffield is pretty close I'll be there unless something dramatic happens.

This being the case I'd like to call dibs on a place to kip and also a space in the Star Ears game because I've heard fairly epic things about it.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-09-13, 01:15 PM

And very possibly me. Cornwall to Sheffield is quite a journey.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-13, 02:51 PM

Ooh, I don't know.
I'm not a big fan of bovril. And what about the vegematarians amongst us? I suppose you could try for a veggie version though.

And very possibly me. Cornwall to Sheffield is quite a journey.

Oh, you will need one.
I iust check a rough timetable, it'll take about twelve hours from Truro to Sheffield. Note: that does involve a four hour wait while changing trains, you'll probably be able to find a faster one, but that's still nine or so hours.
You'll want to bed.

On the plus side, we'll more than likely be catching the same train down to the lawless hive of scum and villainy that I call home and you call uni.

Jibar
2010-09-13, 02:58 PM

Actually, just throwing this out there.

Say I did come, could I grab like a stool or something at yours for sleeping?
No need to feed me or get me some floor space. All I really need is whatever I bring to eat and something stable to sleep on.

Providing I actually come of course.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-09-13, 03:47 PM
Made with a car engine - could it be any manlier? :smallamused:

Ooh, I don't know.
I'm not a big fan of bovril. And what about the vegematarians amongst us? I suppose you could try for a veggie version though.
A moss-covered brick with extra ivy?

Oh, you will need one.
I iust check a rough timetable, it'll take about twelve hours from Truro to Sheffield. Note: that does involve a four hour wait while changing trains, you'll probably be able to find a faster one, but that's still nine or so hours.
You'll want to bed.
OK, I'm now definitely going to go and certainly going to need a place to stay with Spanner. I shall strip the conditional clauses from my speech.

On the plus side, we'll more than likely be catching the same train down to the lawless hive of scum and villainy that I call home and you call uni.
Hooray!

I wonder which games I could bring. You lot seem to have much wackier ones than I do.

Castaras
2010-09-13, 04:05 PM
Game-wise: I'll bring Flux along again, considering how amusing it is to have loads of people playing 1 game all at once. :smallbiggrin:

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-13, 04:27 PM
Thought I'd compile a list of attendees. Plus room seekers/travel and known dietary requirements.

Defnitely coming
Cptn Spanner
Thufir (plus possible OOTS-reading friend???)
Cassie
Archie ((He has totally always been on the list)) Floorspace?
Kobald-bard Floorspace please

Might be coming
volthawk
Malfunctioned
GrlumpTheElder (depending on uni)
Charity!
Ikkie
Stadge
randman (depending on uni and possibly lifts) Assuming would need floorspace as Ku needs one
Lorn (depending on uni)
Aziraphale (likewise)
LR33
Eldpollard Would need floor space
Iibar Would need floor space - tentative placing only
Banio and Mrs. Banio - tentative due to possible conflicts
MasamuneSSX

Nameless
Fay Graydon
Autarkhos
Exachix
Lix Lorn
KenderWizard

Ku
Thufir
Curly
Kobald-bard

Archonic Energy
2010-09-13, 04:33 PM
and where is the Archon on that list?
The story so far...

6 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137348) The Archon triumphed over the Hippie

Date= 04/12/2010*
Location= Sheffield Octagon Centre
Time= 10:00 to 21:00

Cost is free.

Accommodation: Up to 6 people at my someone's house for night before and after, including a double bed (priority to those with a bad back, or similar), rest is probably floor space, so bring a sleeping bag. Also, Oakbrook View Hostel is nearby (328 Fulwood Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S10 3BN; 0114 230 4859) or a STA Travel near a tram stop. (98 Devonshire Street, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S3 7SF ; 0871 702 9845)

Possible attendees (Stolen from CKG)

Defnitely coming
Cptn Spanner
Cassie
Archie ((He has totally always been on the list)) Floorspace unless someone has greater need of it
Kobald-bard Floorspace
Tasroth
hamishspence

Might be coming
volthawk
Malfunctioned
Charity!
Ikkie
Stadge
Lorn (depending on uni)
Aziraphale (likewise)
LR33
MasamuneSSX

Nameless
Fay Graydon
Autarkhos
Exachix
Lix Lorn
KenderWizard

Games
Structured (ie Long/complex/RP)

Star Wars D20 (Lensman) FULL
Ku & his most commanderous voice
Thufir
Curly
Kobald-bard
hamishspence

Non-Structured (ie Munchkin/Bang!/Nuclear War)

BANG! +XPs AE
Peuteo Rico +XPs AE
Nuke Wars KU
Bonhanza KU/AE
Carpe Astra KU
It's Alive KU/Thufir
Fluxx Cassie/Thufir
Carcassonne Thufir/AE
Thud Thufir
The OotS game Thufir/AE
Munchkin (if Eld comes then expect mutiple variations)
Monty Python Fluxx Tasroth

* none of that crazy american date system here

GrlumpTheElder
2010-09-13, 04:37 PM
Question, how far is the venue from Sheffield Station? Because if I come down, which is Increasingly likely, I'll be getting a train.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-13, 04:40 PM
and where is the Archon on that list?

Under the category Definitely Coming. Where he has always been.
>.>
<.<

Clarification for needing floor space, or will you be booking a room elsewhere?

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-13, 04:54 PM
Re: list if attendees -

Since Sheffield is pretty close I'll be there unless something dramatic happens.

This being the case I'd like to call dibs on a place to kip and also a space in the Star Ears game because I've heard fairly epic things about it.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-13, 04:57 PM
Updated as of this post.

Archonic Energy
2010-09-13, 05:00 PM
Under the category Definitely Coming. Where he has always been.
>.>
<.<

Clarification for needing floor space, or will you be booking a room elsewhere?

the paranoid part of me wants to book a room in a hotel
the cheap part wants to sleep on the floor
the social part wants to play BANG! all night
the linguistical part knows how that sounds

if anyone else needs the place more than I they may take it, otherwise i think i'll stay (Spanner, will i need a sleeping bag?)

hamishspence
2010-09-13, 05:01 PM
I'm interested- would like to play Star Wars- was exceptionally fun last time.

Thufir
2010-09-13, 05:21 PM
Possible OotS-reading friends plural. One coming down from Newcastle, one at Sheffield uni.
And Tasroth is also coming, even if he hasn't posted in the thread.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-13, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=CurlyKitGirl;9350127]Thought I'd compile a list of attendees. Plus room seekers/travel and known dietary requirements.

Defnitely coming
Cptn Spanner
Cassie
Kobald-bard Floorspace
Tasroth
hamishspence

Might be coming
volthawk
Malfunctioned
Charity!
Ikkie
Stadge
randman (depending on uni and possibly lifts) Assuming would need floorspace as Ku needs one
Lorn (depending on uni)
Aziraphale (likewise)
LR33
Eldpollard Would need floor space
MasamuneSSX

Nameless
Fay Graydon
Autarkhos
Exachix
Lix Lorn
KenderWizard

Ku
Thufir
Curly
Kobald-bard
hamishspence

@hamish: because of the game space, I've put you under definite, is that okay?

So we have between eleven and thirteen Definites at this point in time, plus another seventeen Maybes with six Unlikelies.

Capt Spanner
2010-09-13, 05:40 PM
Question, how far is the venue from Sheffield Station? Because if I come down, which is Increasingly likely, I'll be getting a train.

About 15 minutes if you take the tram.

KuReshtin
2010-09-13, 05:50 PM

According to Google maps, it's about 2 miles from the train station.
I'll most likely be driving there as it is, and as the Chief Nerd-Hurder of the GitP clan, I'll offer my services to pick people up at the train station if need be.

Capt Spanner
2010-09-13, 05:57 PM
I was planning to meet people at the station, and run a convoy on the tram to the venue.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-13, 06:00 PM
I was planning to meet people at the station, and run a convoy on the tram to the venue.

Yeah, having a pickup would be a good idea. But if some of us come the night before that'll involve two of them, that okay?

And now for something completely different. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkpNkBFUKMM&NR=1)

KuReshtin
2010-09-13, 07:18 PM

That works too. :smallwink:

hamishspence
2010-09-14, 02:52 AM
@hamish: because of the game space, I've put you under definite, is that okay?

Thats OK. Will it be possible to park at the venue?

GrlumpTheElder
2010-09-14, 04:05 AM
If it's only two miles, I'll walk from the station - I like walking :smallbiggrin:

Slightly annoyed Bradford Uni doesn't have a rambling society :smallfrown:

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-14, 04:12 AM
If it's only two miles, I'll walk from the station - I like walking :smallbiggrin:

Slightly annoyed Bradford Uni doesn't have a rambling society :smallfrown:

Start one?

KuReshtin
2010-09-14, 04:31 AM
Thats OK. Will it be possible to park at the venue?

According to Google Maps, there's a decent sized car park across the street, however I'm not sure if it's accessible or not.
It looks to have about 80-ish spaces, but it also looks as if there's one of those entry booths, so might not be possible to get access.

There's a small car park at the Octagon that looks to have about 8-10 spaces, though.

I can not vouch for the accuracy of this information, though, as I'm only going from looking at the satellite images of the area on Google Maps.

Eldpollard
2010-09-14, 06:07 AM
Right, I'll still be at uni on the fourth. So I should be make it, I think it's about 6 hours on the train, so it's doubtful I'll be there for the start of the meet up. If I could grab one of the spaces it'd be a great help.
EDIT: I'm one of those pesky vegetarians. And for me to get into Sheffield at 10.08 I'll be setting off from Aber at 05.14. I hope you're all worth it...

KuReshtin
2010-09-14, 06:51 AM
I hope you're all worth it...

You know we are.

randman22222
2010-09-14, 06:56 AM
Getting to Sheffield is not the problem for me. I will BEND any public transportation system I come across to my will.

Also, looking at Strath's calendar, it seems I'll be able to come. So yes. Unless they decide to have end of term exams (Errr, do unis in the UK do end of term exams? Or end of semester?) two weeks early.

And floorspace would be nice, and if I can couchsurf at someone's house, I WILL cook for everyone else there, because cooking is fun, and I can look up a bunch of international and otherwise fun recipes. (Provided people will help in minor things.)

EDIT @V: That... Is excellent. :smallbiggrin:

Eldpollard
2010-09-14, 07:01 AM
Oh man! I totally forgot to mention the game I've just bought! It's called Die Weinhandler!
http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic51969_md.jpg Basically they mentioned it in a podcast, and I could buy it for a fiver. The premise, from what I can gather is that you all play as German wine sellers (Weinhandlers) going up and down the Rhine buying and selling wine. It's much better if you say it in a slightly camp German voice.

KuReshtin
2010-09-14, 07:15 AM
Getting to Sheffield is not the problem for me. I will BEND any public transportation system I come across to my will.

As previously mentioned, you will not need to use your Public-transportation-system-bending powers to get to Sheffield.
I'll happily give you a lift.

And floorspace would be nice, and if I can couchsurf at someone's house, I WILL cook for everyone else there, because cooking is fun, and I can look up a bunch of international and otherwise fun recipes. (Provided people will help in minor things.)

I'll help out with cooking. i'm good at chopping up stuff.

randman22222
2010-09-14, 07:27 AM
As previously mentioned, you will not need to use your Public-transportation-system-bending powers to get to Sheffield.
I'll happily give you a lift.

I'll help out with cooking. i'm good at chopping up stuff.

All right, so that's definite, regardless of what time of the day I have to leave?

And awesome. The meetup will have a cooking side-quest.

Thufir
2010-09-14, 07:34 AM

Wait, it's only two miles? Why isn't everyone walking? Strange people...
(I may not be walking, but I'm not arriving by train)

I hope you're all worth it...

You know we are.

This.

(Errr, do unis in the UK do end of term exams? Or end of semester?)

Varies depending on the uni. e.g. I believe Oxford has end of term exams, whereas Newcastle has end of semester exams (Which puts them pretty much at the start of the second term, much to some people's annoyance).
I don't really know about other unis, but safe to say it varies.
Also may vary depending on degree subject.

Capt Spanner
2010-09-14, 10:39 AM
According to Google Maps, there's a decent sized car park across the street, however I'm not sure if it's accessible or not.
It looks to have about 80-ish spaces, but it also looks as if there's one of those entry booths, so might not be possible to get access.

There's a small car park at the Octagon that looks to have about 8-10 spaces, though.

I can not vouch for the accuracy of this information, though, as I'm only going from looking at the satellite images of the area on Google Maps.

I'm fairly sure you need a Uni pass to park there. Sheffield is a total bastard to drive around (even with Satnav, which can't keep track of all the one-way systems), so I'd suggest parking on the outskirts and taking public transport.

I'll look into the best places to park-n-ride from and get back to you with details.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-14, 12:20 PM
Thought I'd compile a list of attendees. Plus room seekers/travel and known dietary requirements.

Defnitely coming
Cptn Spanner
Cassie
Kobald-bard Floorspace
Tasroth
hamishspence

Might be coming
volthawk
Malfunctioned
Charity!
Ikkie
Stadge
Lorn (depending on uni)
Aziraphale (likewise)
LR33
MasamuneSSX

Nameless
Fay Graydon
Autarkhos
Exachix
Lix Lorn
KenderWizard

Ku
Thufir
Curly
Kobald-bard
hamishspence

And we're updated! Hmmmm, think I should list possible games along with people bringing them?

@randman: I'd love to give a hand with the cooking if you need one.

re:end of term exams: I think that you should be okay coming down as most end-of-term exams are held closer to the end of term.
Oh, and Oxford has exams at the beginning of every term thank you.

Eldpollard
2010-09-14, 01:02 PM
With regards to me being vegetarian, it's no fuss. I am a huge fan of toast.

KuReshtin
2010-09-14, 03:17 PM
All right, so that's definite, regardless of what time of the day I have to leave?

Well, I was thinking I'd try to head down southwards on Friday afternoon at some point, and then go back up to Scotland on Sunday at some point.

I've done the drive down to Sheffield on the day of the event once before (football league meeting), and I had to leave at about 4:30 in the morning, and I was absolutely shattered at about 6 or 7 that evening, so if we're going to keep the meet going, I'd want to not fall asleep during the evening.
Therefore, going down on the friday night makes most sense, and as Spanner has offered accomodation on the Friday night as well, that would be a very good idea.

Exachix
2010-09-14, 05:40 PM
Alas my deir friends, if I were to come, I would have to travel far!

Also; my Uni does exams at the start of the Second Term, and the end of the Third term.

Also as this is before my end of term, I may not be able to make it.

Lensman
2010-09-15, 02:38 AM
Ku
Thufir
Curly
Kobald-bard
hamishspence

... which means that there is no room for anyone else in the Star Wars game. I'm assuming my previous victims still have their character sheets?

Archonic Energy
2010-09-15, 03:25 AM
... which means that there is no room for anyone else in the Star Wars game. I'm assuming my previous victims still have their character sheets?

Noted on first post.

And we're updated! Hmmmm, think I should list possible games along with people bringing them?

way ahead of you, read the first post...

banjo1985
2010-09-15, 10:38 AM
Banjo and Mrs. Banjo - tentative due to possible conflicts

About that...we now appear to be free on the 4th! I think we'd drive up on Friday and spend a weekend in a hotel somewhere around before heading back on Sunday, I'm hoping said hotel will have a car park to remove the parking issue for us. :smallbiggrin:

So yeah, me and the Mrs are now near definites. As for what games I can bring...I'll make a rather long list and post it later. :smalleek:

EDIT: As promised, a somewhat incomplete list of tat I can bring along:

Board/Card Games
Battle Cattle
Ticket to Ride – North America and Switzerland
Arkham Horror with a few expansions
OotS Boardgame
Munchkin Boardgame
Carcassone
Catan – Standard, Islands, Knights and Barbarians
Munchkin Bites (all expansions)
My Dwarves Fly
Monkey Lab
Monty Python Fluxx
Snow Tails (Husky racing!)
Blood Bowl
Formula De (Old version)
Express Risk, Monopoly, Battleships and Cluedo
3-Dragon Ante (both decks)
Magic the Gathering
Cat in the Sack
Triple Triad and Tetra Master (The Final Fantasy VIII & IX card games)

If there’s any interest I could run:
World of Darkness - Standard, Hunter, Vampire or Geist
Dread
Call of Cthulhu
Deadlands

...and, as I'm not going to be turning up in an articulated lorry, I'd appreciate folks picking out the stuff thay'd like me to bring that'll fit in the back of the Swift! I'll put up any other random games that I've forgotten when I get home. I'm happy to run a nice little horror or western roleplay game, but as I say if no-one's interested I won't bother. :smalltongue:

Eldpollard
2010-09-15, 11:37 AM
Come to think, I may not be able to bring the metric tonne of munchkin that I usually do, as I'll be coming from uni, not home. You may miss out on Die Weinhandler as well.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-15, 12:27 PM

Defnitely coming
Cptn Spanner
Cassie
Kobald-bard Floorspace
Tasroth
hamishspence
Banio and Mrs. Banio

Might be coming
volthawk
Malfunctioned
Charity!
Ikkie
Stadge
Lorn (depending on uni)
Aziraphale (likewise)
LR33
MasamuneSSX

Nameless
Fay Graydon
Autarkhos
Exachix
Lix Lorn
KenderWizard

Full

Games
See first post please

And we're updated!

@Banio: Wow. That's a lot of games.

EDIT:
@Lensman: Yep, still got my character sheet.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-09-15, 12:42 PM
If I come, I'll bring my Yu Gi Oh cards (yes, I'm sad and actually play the card
game...) if anyone else wants to play...

:smallmad: DON'T JUDGE ME!

Thufir
2010-09-15, 01:24 PM
As promised, a somewhat incomplete list of tat I can bring along:

*snip*

...and, as I'm not going to be turning up in an articulated lorry, I'd appreciate folks picking out the stuff thay'd like me to bring that'll fit in the back of the Swift!

Games from that list owned by me or Tasroth:
OotS Boardgame
Carcassonne
Monty Python Fluxx
Blood Bowl

So, we could bring those instead. Or other people probably have them as well.

Triple Triad - I am interested about this.

Eldpollard
2010-09-15, 01:47 PM
Someone must bring bloodbowl, I have a skaven team somewhere.

banjo1985
2010-09-16, 06:01 AM
Games from that list owned by me or Tasroth:
OotS Boardgame
Carcassonne
Monty Python Fluxx
Blood Bowl

Triple Triad - I am interested about this.

Right, crossed these off my list, and bolded Triple Triad as interest. I haven't got the full set, what with them being a limited run CCG when the game was released, but I have a good 90 cards. Plays just like it did on the game, with options for elements and stuff.

I have Dark Elf and Ork Bloodbowl teams, I'd be glad to give someone a game if I don't end up running something.

Thufir
2010-09-16, 07:13 AM
I've got Skaven, Tasroth has Chaos. Also the Humans and Orcs that came with the game (Maybe I should finish painting those linemen...)

Dr. Bath
2010-09-16, 05:20 PM
So what actual date do we have for this?

If it's in sheffield I may well turn up if it's still in term time. Might even drag a housemate who lives in shef. WHO KNOWS.

Also found my character sheet for star wars today. Pity you're out of places.

KuReshtin
2010-09-16, 05:30 PM
So what actual date do we have for this?

If it's in sheffield I may well turn up if it's still in term time. Might even drag a housemate who lives in shef. WHO KNOWS.

Also found my character sheet for star wars today. Pity you're out of places.

The date is listed in the first post.

December 4th, 2010

Dr. Bath
2010-09-16, 05:35 PM
First post schmirst post! Like I can check things that are obvious!

KuReshtin
2010-09-16, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I'd imagine that'd be too easy. :smallwink:

Dr. Bath
2010-09-16, 06:03 PM
Now if you'd hidden it in the middle of the thread in white text in an otherwise off-topic post... That I would've found it like that.

Jeeze! We just need some forethought in here! :P

Archonic Energy
2010-09-17, 03:35 AM
Now if you'd hidden it in the middle of the thread in white text in an otherwise off-topic post... That I would've found it like that.

Jeeze! We just need some forethought in here! :P

ok. just for you... now go find it

Dr. Bath
2010-09-17, 03:57 AM
Much better. Though that wasn't a particularly off-topic post. It was positively on target for this thread.

Well I can probably come I guess? We'll see nearer the time.

Castaras
2010-09-17, 10:04 AM

Only reason it mentions "an older one" is because the first post is updated with the 2nd one's ideas before we started the 2nd one's thread. That one is the first UKitp meetup, all the way back in '07.

Good gods, that's a long time ago. :smalleek:

Capt Spanner
2010-09-19, 05:16 PM
I wander if I should look into custom T-shirts commemorating, given that there's a T-shirt shop at the bottom of my road.

IIRC it's no more than £15-£20 per t-shirt, less if more than about 10 want one.

Of course, without special dispensation from The Giant we wouldn't be able to have any OOTS pictures or quotes (and I'm PMing him to find out about that).

Would there be interest in this?

GrlumpTheElder
2010-09-20, 07:46 AM
I wander if I should look into custom T-shirts commemorating, given that there's a T-shirt shop at the bottom of my road.

Would there be interest in this?

I'd be interested in a T-Shirt.

Here's a possible idea, what if you put all the avatars of those attending or potentially attending on the T-Shirts?

Thufir
2010-09-20, 08:38 AM
But which one of my avatars? They're numerous, and lack any common theme.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-09-20, 08:59 AM
I'd never be able to decide which period to represent with mine. :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-20, 09:27 AM
HAHA!! Green-skinned Kobold finally comes good :smallbiggrin:

T-shirts sound good, it'd go nicely with my dice from the last one I went to.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-09-22, 08:49 AM
I've just joined the RP club at Uni and was talking to a couple of people. They know GiantITP (don't know if they're on the forums) and are interested in the meet up, so I might be bringing them along with me...

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-22, 12:27 PM

Defnitely coming
Cptn Spanner
Cassie
Kobald-bard Floorspace
Tasroth
hamishspence
Banio and Mrs. Banio

Might be coming
volthawk
Malfunctioned
GrlumpTheElder (depending on uni) (plus possible friends?)
Charity!
Ikkie
Stadge
Lorn (depending on uni)
Aziraphale (likewise)
LR33
MasamuneSSX

Nameless
Fay Graydon
Autarkhos
Exachix
Lix Lorn
KenderWizard

Full

Games
See first post please

And we're updated!

@Grlump: So shall I bump you and your possible friends up to Definite or leave you still in the Maybes.

re: T-shirts: It's an interesting idea. Heh.

factotum
2010-09-22, 12:51 PM
Shame it happens to coincide with the annual Christmas family get-together...I could have got to Sheffield easily! Ah well, maybe next time. :smallfrown:

GrlumpTheElder
2010-09-22, 02:59 PM
Grlump: So shall I bump you and your possible friends up to Definite or leave you still in the Maybes.

Yep, bump me up to definite. Anything short of zombie apocalypse or shortage of cake shall not stop me on my divine quest to attend the meetup! :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2010-09-22, 03:14 PM
Yep, bump me up to definite. Anything short of zombie apocalypse or shortage of cake shall not stop me on my divine quest to attend the meetup! :smallbiggrin:

We can bring cake to the meetup!

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-22, 03:25 PM

Defnitely coming
Cptn Spanner
Cassie
Kobald-bard Floorspace
Tasroth
hamishspence
Banio and Mrs. Banio
GrlumpTheElder (plus possible friends?)

Might be coming
volthawk
Malfunctioned
Charity!
Ikkie
Stadge
Lorn (depending on uni)
Aziraphale (likewise)
LR33
MasamuneSSX

Nameless
Fay Graydon
Autarkhos
Exachix
Lix Lorn
KenderWizard

Full

Games
See first post please

And we're updated!

We can bring cake to the meetup!

Or cookies.

And speaking of:
any vegetarians out here who don't eat egg? Please let me know.

Jibar
2010-09-22, 03:33 PM
And speaking of:
any vegetarians out here who don't eat egg? Please let me know.

I don't really, but then I also generally feed myself, so I guess you wouldn't have to worry about me?

Also, I just looked and Sheffield's only an hour from Uni, so I guess maybe I will come sorta maybe?
Train for less than £15, don't seem so bad really.

Thufir
2010-09-22, 03:38 PM
I will come

Surrounding words be damned, HE SAID IT! The Catmuffin has declared his attendance!

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-22, 04:13 PM
I don't really, but then I also generally feed myself, so I guess you wouldn't have to worry about me?

Also, I just looked and Sheffield's only an hour from Uni, so I guess maybe I will come sorta maybe?
Train for less than £15, don't seem so bad really.

But I bake. Don't you want any cakes or cookies?
I'd say muffins, but that might be cannibalism.
However, I could try to make some cat-muffins. :smallamused:

Surrounding words be damned, HE SAID IT! The Catmuffin has declared his attendance!

Indeed! And now to move him up to Definite! :smalltongue: :smallsmile:

Defnitely coming
Cptn Spanner
Cassie
Kobald-bard Floorspace
Tasroth
hamishspence
Banio and Mrs. Banio
Iibar Would need floor space - tentative placing only No eggs

Might be coming
volthawk
Malfunctioned
Charity!
Ikkie
Stadge
Lorn (depending on uni)
Aziraphale (likewise)
LR33
MasamuneSSX

Nameless
Fay Graydon
Autarkhos
Exachix
Lix Lorn
KenderWizard

Full

Games
See first post please

And we're updated!

And we now have twenty people under Definite. Or nineteen.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-09-22, 04:16 PM
And we now have twenty people under Definite. Or nineteen.

Is that more than usual? :smallamused:

Jibar
2010-09-22, 04:20 PM
But I bake. Don't you want any cakes or cookies?
I'd say muffins, but that might be cannibalism.
However, I could try to make some cat-muffins. :smallamused:

Oh well, if it's cakes then I'm cool. It's more I don't like omlettes and stuff.
Dad announcing over Sunday Dinner: "So these are just chicken periods huh?"
Pretty much done after that.

Indeed! And now to move him up to Definite! :smalltongue: :smallsmile:

Oh God.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-22, 04:21 PM
Perhaps.
I think there was one meetup where one person showed up.

I've been thinking though, if I include all the mini-meetups I've been to in with the official meetups I've been to five:
Bath and me
Bath, Kaela, RightHandless and me
Thufir and me
The Iuly meetup
Fred and me (in eight days)

Not bad. And so, by my standards, twenty people is pretty big.

Niezck
2010-09-22, 04:21 PM
Possibly coming, since Sheffield is about an hour on the train for me and is pretty easy to get to. I'll know more certainly closer to the time, since I tend to only plan a week or two in advance.

But yeah, put my name down on the "maybe" list please.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-22, 04:23 PM
Oh well, if it's cakes then I'm cool. It's more I don't like omlettes and stuff.
Dad announcing over Sunday Dinner: "So these are just chicken periods huh?"
Pretty much done after that.

'kay. Will edit away amendment then. That's one of the reasons I don't eat eggs as omlettes, quiches and such; they're unfertilised chicken periods.
But worse: I was about seven or eight, helping Dad make his omlette and we found a fertilised egg. You could make out the head and everything . . . :smalleek: :smallyuk:

Oh God.

:smallamused:
*hug*
That make it better?

EDIT:

Defnitely coming
Cptn Spanner
Cassie
Kobald-bard Floorspace
Tasroth
hamishspence
Banio and Mrs. Banio
Iibar!!! Would need floor space - tentative placing only

Might be coming
volthawk
Malfunctioned
Charity!
Ikkie
Stadge
Lorn (depending on uni)
Aziraphale (likewise)
LR33
MasamuneSSX
Neizck

Nameless
Fay Graydon
Autarkhos
Exachix
Lix Lorn
KenderWizard

Games
See first post please

And we're updated!

GrlumpTheElder
2010-09-23, 11:50 AM
I'm not a vegie, but I don't eat eggs, or fish...

Does this matter?

Dallas-Dakota
2010-09-23, 12:21 PM
Has expressed interest, wants to come, but probably won't:

Nameless
Fay Graydon
Autarkhos
Exachix
Lix Lorn
KenderWizard
Dallas-dakota

Your list, it is correct now.:smalltongue:

In all seriousness, it's way too expensive for me, I have too much going on right now but damn, I wish I coulda come. Have fun everybody!

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-23, 03:16 PM
I'm not a vegie, but I don't eat eggs, or fish...

Does this matter?

It does because this way we can make sure that everyone can eat something, and that all the food is good for those people with allergies.
It's especially important for when we have buffets or people bring food with them.

Defnitely coming
Cptn Spanner
Cassie
Kobald-bard Floorspace
Tasroth
hamishspence
Banio and Mrs. Banio

Might be coming
volthawk
Malfunctioned
Charity!
Ikkie
Stadge
Lorn (depending on uni)
Aziraphale (likewise)
LR33
MasamuneSSX
Neizck

Nameless
Fay Graydon
Autarkhos
Exachix
Lix Lorn
KenderWizard
Dallas-Dakota

Games
See first post please

And we're updated!

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-23, 03:25 PM
Just noticed: as far as I know Niezck is a maybe rather than a veggie.

Also: MUAHAHAHAAHAAAA!!! my influence spreads http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z257/kerisrain/other/evil.png

Niezck
2010-09-23, 03:58 PM
Just noticed: as far as I know Niezck is a maybe rather than a veggie.

Also: MUAHAHAHAAHAAAA!!! my influence spreads http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z257/kerisrain/other/evil.png

Huh? I'm a veggie?

Vampiric
2010-09-27, 04:29 PM
Is it too late for me to stick my head into this shindig? I know it's been a while, but I have actually checked the boards and can come this time :smalltongue:

Stadge
2010-09-27, 05:39 PM
I know I've not checked in on this for, well, ages, but I won't be able to make it. Think I may still be at uni at that point, and if not, tis too close to an importnat date for me to trust myself to be able to definitly make it to Sheffield. I will however attempt to attend future gatherings, it really sounds like it'll be a nifty shindig.

Thufir
2010-09-27, 06:12 PM
Is it too late for me to stick my head into this shindig?

Has the meetup happened yet?
The answers to these two questions are the same.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-27, 06:12 PM
I know I've not checked in on this for, well, ages, but I won't be able to make it. Think I may still be at uni at that point, and if not, tis too close to an importnat date for me to trust myself to be able to definitly make it to Sheffield. I will however attempt to attend future gatherings, it really sounds like it'll be a nifty shindig.

Cambridge terms are about the same as Oxford ones right?
Because I'm literally going from uni straight to the meetup and then back home. Or back to Oxford to help out with interviews. I'm not sure yet.
Either way, it's definitely doable.
I don't know how far you live away from uni, but as long as your lift-giver doesn't mind simply hauling your kit back home you should be able to do it.

That's my plan.
Unless I help out at interviews.

Capt Spanner
2010-09-27, 06:38 PM
So far eight people have asked for floorspace.

We can stretch to eight, so the eight marked as wanting floorspace are all welcome.

When I offered to cook, I was mostly thinking of the people staying over. I wouldn't manage to cook for everyone coming, just FYI.

Stadge
2010-09-27, 06:47 PM
Cambridge terms are about the same as Oxford ones right?
Because I'm literally going from uni straight to the meetup and then back home. Or back to Oxford to help out with interviews. I'm not sure yet.
Either way, it's definitely doable.
I don't know how far you live away from uni, but as long as your lift-giver doesn't mind simply hauling your kit back home you should be able to do it.

That's my plan.
Unless I help out at interviews.

Oh you may be right, term ends on the 3rd it seems, though I'm not sure when I'll have my room til.
The 3rd itself is a bit of rough day for me, so I'll look into travelling straight there on the 4th. Though actually I may well wait til Wednesday and see what storage I have in my room this year and see if I can get the train to Sheffield and then home, or the other way round, with my holiday stuff.
I'm a fair trek from uni, around Manchester really, so I may not be getting a lift for the smaller breaks this year.

Off topic I know: but I remember mentioning it a while back, how'd your exams end up for you?

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-27, 08:02 PM
Oh you may be right, term ends on the 3rd it seems, though I'm not sure when I'll have my room til.
The 3rd itself is a bit of rough day for me, so I'll look into travelling straight there on the 4th. Though actually I may well wait til Wednesday and see what storage I have in my room this year and see if I can get the train to Sheffield and then home, or the other way round, with my holiday stuff.
I'm a fair trek from uni, around Manchester really, so I may not be getting a lift for the smaller breaks this year.

Off topic I know: but I remember mentioning it a while back, how'd your exams end up for you?

Well my term technically ends the day of the meetup. So (providing I'm not helping out outside of term) Dad'll be taking my iunk home on Friday leaving my to take the train to Sheffield and then back home.
Four hundred miles to home.
Yeah.

Exams? Straight 2:1s in all four. Panic is panic, and exam dread. So.

And yours? I know Cambridge has a Tripos system which is really weird (for those of you not in the know, if a fellow Oxbridge student acknowledges an Oxbridge tradiiton/style as odd, you know it's Odd) and involves all sorts of fiddly things.
You had fun with ASNC? ASCN? I forget the name.

Stadge
2010-09-28, 04:43 AM
Well my term technically ends the day of the meetup. So (providing I'm not helping out outside of term) Dad'll be taking my iunk home on Friday leaving my to take the train to Sheffield and then back home.
Four hundred miles to home.
Yeah.

Exams? Straight 2:1s in all four. Panic is panic, and exam dread. So.

And yours? I know Cambridge has a Tripos system which is really weird (for those of you not in the know, if a fellow Oxbridge student acknowledges an Oxbridge tradiiton/style as odd, you know it's Odd) and involves all sorts of fiddly things.
You had fun with ASNC? ASCN? I forget the name.

Ouch four hundred miles to home from uni or sheffield? Either way that's a good sized trek.

And ah nice one, I got the same in my 4 exam term ones. The other 2 I did earlier, well they're marked weirdly, but they were pretty ok I think.
And yeah ASNC is great, a tad weird at times, but very fun and of course ever so useful in the wider world nonetheless :smalltongue: Looking forward to starting Part 1 B of the Tripos now.
Is it English you're doing? If so, how're you finding it?

Eldpollard
2010-09-28, 08:03 AM
My term doesn't end for another two weeks after the meet-up. I'll still be coming, providing that I don't have any pressing essays due.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-28, 01:55 PM
Ouch four hundred miles to home from uni or sheffield? Either way that's a good sized trek.

It's actually iust over three hundred miles to uni. I'm not good with travel.
And then about one hundred and fifty or so more to Sheffield.

And ah nice one, I got the same in my 4 exam term ones. The other 2 I did earlier, well they're marked weirdly, but they were pretty ok I think.
And yeah ASNC is great, a tad weird at times, but very fun and of course ever so useful in the wider world nonetheless :smalltongue: Looking forward to starting Part 1 B of the Tripos now.
Is it English you're doing? If so, how're you finding it?

Congrats on your results!

Yes, it's English I'm doing; and I'm doing to medieval course, so it's a fair bit like what I gather ASNC to be like. Lots of languages and stuff. Old Norse, Chaucer, you know the stuff.
More Old English on the line for me, at least I'm pretty good at the translation.
If English at Camford isn't nerdy enough, I'm doing the nerdiest English course offered. :smallsmile:

Stadge
2010-09-28, 03:59 PM
It's actually iust over three hundred miles to uni. I'm not good with travel.
And then about one hundred and fifty or so more to Sheffield.

Ouch! That's still a bit of a trek though, take it you can usually get a lift though?

Yes, it's English I'm doing; and I'm doing to medieval course, so it's a fair bit like what I gather ASNC to be like. Lots of languages and stuff. Old Norse, Chaucer, you know the stuff.
More Old English on the line for me, at least I'm pretty good at the translation.
If English at Camford isn't nerdy enough, I'm doing the nerdiest English course offered:smallsmile:.

Ah yeah that sounds reasonaby similiar then, only ASNC has more history papers as options.
I know how you feel on the last bit, ASNC is pretty ridiculous, stil I'vel got to love the fact I've been researching the unification of Norway and reading Icelandic Sagas and Skaldic poetry for my 2nd year dissertation.
What books have you using for the Old Norse by the way, that set of three, basically coloured like traffic lights?

Vampiric
2010-09-28, 04:09 PM
Has the meetup happened yet?
The answers to these two questions are the same.

Thanks Thur :smalltongue:

I be planning on riding/busing to the venue, so I should probably ask does anyone more local than me know if there is parking/public transport that stops nearby the venue?

Edit: I should also mention at this point that I would quite like to take you up on your offer for a Call of Cthulhu game, Archonic Energy (hopefully not playing it before won't be too much of a hindrance? :smalltongue:)

And I can bring Cthulhu Munchkin, if anyone is interested (and not already playing the standard/other alternative versions)

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-28, 04:54 PM
Ouch! That's still a bit of a trek though, take it you can usually get a lift though?

Yep! It's what Dad's are for.

Ah yeah that sounds reasonaby similiar then, only ASNC has more history papers as options.
I know how you feel on the last bit, ASNC is pretty ridiculous, stil I'vel got to love the fact I've been researching the unification of Norway and reading Icelandic Sagas and Skaldic poetry for my 2nd year dissertation.
What books have you using for the Old Norse by the way, that set of three, basically coloured like traffic lights?

There is an option later on for an archaeological option. But the Literature stuff tends to involve a lot of historical, religious, economic, social and political context too. But nothing really specific.
*hi-five uber-nerdage!*
That's an amazing dissertation topic, we only have an optional one in the third year, but I think I'm going to take it. I've already got an incredibly tentative topic.
Old Norse isn't an option offered for second years (it's a third year one only), but all the lectures are open to everyone unless otherwise stated. Hence the attending the lectures (possibly) to learn it from scratch.
Are these traffic light Old Norse books of yours any good? Because I've been wanting to learn ON for several years, but couldn't attend the lectures last year.
You've been learning Old English recently haven't you? Need any help?

Defnitely coming
Cptn Spanner
Cassie
Kobald-bard Floorspace
Tasroth
hamishspence
Banio and Mrs. Banio

Might be coming
volthawk
Malfunctioned
Charity!
Ikkie
Stadge
Lorn (depending on uni)
Aziraphale (likewise)
LR33
MasamuneSSX
Neizck
Vampiric
Stadge

Nameless
Fay Graydon
Autarkhos
Exachix
Lix Lorn
KenderWizard
Dallas-Dakota

Games
See first post please

And we're updated!

@Stadge and Vampiric: Let me know if I put your current status down incorrectly. So far you're both Maybes.

Stadge
2010-09-28, 06:01 PM
There is an option later on for an archaeological option. But the Literature stuff tends to involve a lot of historical, religious, economic, social and political context too. But nothing really specific.
*hi-five uber-nerdage!*

Ah righto, I'm takingan archaeology paper this year. And yeah that makes sense from a Literature perspective I guess *high-fives* :smallcool:

That's an amazing dissertation topic, we only have an optional one in the third year, but I think I'm going to take it. I've already got an incredibly tentative topic.

I am quite happy with it, and ooh what's the idea? If you don't mind me asking? I've a vagueish idea about my third year one.

Old Norse isn't an option offered for second years (it's a third year one only), but all the lectures are open to everyone unless otherwise stated. Hence the attending the lectures (possibly) to learn it from scratch.
Are these traffic light Old Norse books of yours any good? Because I've been wanting to learn ON for several years, but couldn't attend the lectures last year.
You've been learning Old English recently haven't you? Need any help?

Hmm that makes sense, though don't panic if you can't make them this time round (second year right?) if you're confident with the Old English you should probably be able to pick up Old Norse pretty easily, they're fairly similiar in a lot of ways, but then annoyingly different in others :smalltongue:
They are, the green one is a book of texts, the yellow is a glossary of, well, everything, and the red one is the grammar guide book. They're by Anthony Faulkes and Michael Barnes, publsihed by the Viking Society for Northern Research/University College London. Not sure how easy they'd be to find though as I bought mine through the department. (Sidenote: ASNC department; easily the most fun department in the university)

And ah thanks, but I won't be carrying on with it this year, so what I have should hopefully be ok. I may possibley have a question or two regarding the wording in charters at some point though if you'd be willing to take them?

And yeah, a maybe is probably best for me at the moment. Will probably update when student finance get back to me.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-28, 06:32 PM
Ah righto, I'm takingan archaeology paper this year. And yeah that makes sense from a Literature perspective I guess *high-fives* :smallcool:

Thing is with most faculties over this side is that all the lectures are open and only a few of the sciences (particularly Physics and Biology) have swipe-y entrances to certain lectures.
Theoretically, I can take whate'er I like.

[QUOTE=Stadge;9443180]I am quite happy with it, and ooh what's the idea? If you don't mind me asking? I've a vagueish idea about my third year one.

The influence of Irish, Gaelic and Cornish mythology on modern literature. Specifically the resurgence of the traditional faery as opposed to the sanitised Victorian ones.

That or I could do something really insane like *casts around for weird theories and thoughts* . . . like, the heroic ideal of Old English literature as being an influence in Star Trek.
It's not really. I only know there were a few Beowulf-y episodes and stuff. Because, really, most Germanic heroic ideals are fairly common for all cultures.

Hmm that makes sense, though don't panic if you can't make them this time round (second year right?) if you're confident with the Old English you should probably be able to pick up Old Norse pretty easily, they're fairly similiar in a lot of ways, but then annoyingly different in others :smalltongue:
They are, the green one is a book of texts, the yellow is a glossary of, well, everything, and the red one is the grammar guide book. They're by Anthony Faulkes and Michael Barnes, publsihed by the Viking Society for Northern Research/University College London. Not sure how easy they'd be to find though as I bought mine through the department. (Sidenote: ASNC department; easily the most fun department in the university)

I'm not really panicking. I'm iust a language nerd.
I know two live languages very well, and have smattering of a third.
My knowledge of dead and archaic languages is much better. It's gotten to the point where I use some OE manuscript shorthand in my notes. In my defence, it's because '7' means 'and'. And some others.
And so learning ON would be several kinds of fun for me. ANd those books look fun, a quick Amazon search shows I can buy all three for around about £15.
Thanks for that!

And ah thanks, but I won't be carrying on with it this year, so what I have should hopefully be ok. I may possibly have a question or two regarding the wording in charters at some point though if you'd be willing to take them?

Sure. I still can't believe you've got such a fun dissertation to do.
*puts on her Envy hat*

And yeah, a maybe is probably best for me at the moment. Will probably update when student finance get back to me.

Coolness.
Bit late aren't they? THey must be having some maior backlog issues if you haven't gotten any info from them yet. You're back in about a week.

Last_resort_33
2010-09-29, 07:53 AM
Oh go on then! Put me down as a 88.9% sure. Looks like it could be fun!

I'll bring Oliver too probably.

Archonic Energy
2010-09-29, 09:20 AM
First post updated

any more games to add?

KuReshtin
2010-09-29, 10:49 AM

*GASP* *SHOCK* *HORROR*

LR_33!?! Posting? The stars must be aligned for that to happen.

Castaras
2010-09-29, 11:38 AM

!!! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

That is all that needs to be said.

Jibar
2010-09-29, 11:52 AM
So uh...

Just so I know and can consider it and what not...

Like, if I came or whatever...

Where would I get the trains to and for when, exactly?

I mean, like, if I was coming...

CurlyKitGirl
2010-09-29, 04:37 PM

Defnitely coming
Cptn Spanner
Cassie
Kobald-bard Floorspace
Tasroth
hamishspence
Banio and Mrs. Banio

88.9% Sure
LR_33 (+Oliver - who's Oliver?)

Might be coming
volthawk
Malfunctioned
Charity!
Ikkie
Stadge
Lorn (depending on uni)
Aziraphale (likewise)
LR33
MasamuneSSX
Neizck
Vampiric
Stadge

Nameless
Fay Graydon
Autarkhos
Exachix
Lix Lorn
KenderWizard
Dallas-Dakota

Games
See first post please

And we're updated!

@Iibbers:
Train to Sheffield station on the 4th to arrive before ten o'clock. Because the meetup is from ten to nine in the evening at the Sheffield Octogan Centre. I gather there's going to be a pick up from the station or something.
And seeing as you've booked floorspace, you'll be wanting to leave sometime on the fifth.
Iust in case you do, you know, maybe, perhaps, decide to go.

KuReshtin
2010-10-01, 08:35 AM
Woohoo!!! Only 9 weeks to go!

randman22222
2010-10-01, 09:26 AM
Woohoo!!! Only 9 weeks to go!

Yesssss... It is going exactly as planned...

Still sounds like a little while, to me though. :smallconfused:

KuReshtin
2010-10-01, 09:32 AM
Yesssss... It is going exactly as planned...

Still sounds like a little while, to me though. :smallconfused:

Well, yeah, it's a while to go still, but it's getting closer.

Eldpollard
2010-10-01, 01:57 PM
So uh...

Just so I know and can consider it and what not...

Like, if I came or whatever...

Where would I get the trains to and for when, exactly?

I mean, like, if I was coming...

For trains just go on www.nationalrail.co.uk and search from your town to Sheffield on the dates. And then see what times are best.

Capt Spanner
2010-10-01, 08:03 PM
For cheap fares, also try Megabus. They go from London to Sheffield for £5 if you book in early enough in advance (and probably from other destinations to). I know it has a bad rep but I've taken it regularly and never had a bad experience.

Thufir
2010-10-02, 10:39 AM
Alternatively, try this:
http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/offers/funfares.cfm

Fares can be as low as £1, booked enough in advance.

Last_resort_33
2010-10-04, 02:35 AM
Oliver is my husband who has been to all previous meetups (that I have been to) with me...

Jibar
2010-10-04, 05:51 PM
@Iibbers:
Train to Sheffield station on the 4th to arrive before ten o'clock. Because the meetup is from ten to nine in the evening at the Sheffield Octogan Centre. I gather there's going to be a pick up from the station or something.
And seeing as you've booked floorspace, you'll be wanting to leave sometime on the fifth.
Iust in case you do, you know, maybe, perhaps, decide to go.

So...

This is ya know, it and all.
No changes or anything down the line.
No different dates or whatever.
All that there.
So if I book tickets tomorrow it's as specified here?
I mean like, you know, if maybe I come...

KuReshtin
2010-10-04, 06:02 PM
So...

This is ya know, it and all.
No changes or anything down the line.
No different dates or whatever.
All that there.
So if I book tickets tomorrow it's as specified here?
I mean like, you know, if maybe I come...

Yup, this is it.
The date and venue are both set.
They won't change.

Unless there's a really good reason for it.

Archonic Energy
2010-10-05, 04:02 AM
Unless there's a really good reason for it.

is "urinating" off LR_33 a good enough reason?
if so, London!

Jibar
2010-10-05, 11:42 AM
So maybe I booked some train tickets
So I might come
Who knows
I don't
But I do

Archonic Energy
2010-10-06, 01:28 PM
so Theroetically, if i were to be staying friday & saturday, would i require my own sleeping equipment or would that be supplied?

and how early is it suitable to arrive on friday... i'm NOT paying £60 on a train ticket! :smallmad:

Capt Spanner
2010-10-06, 04:17 PM
I don't have enough bedding for everyone. We have a few blankets around, but I highly recommend bringing a sleeping bag and pillow if you can. (Trick: inflatable pillow + pillow case takes up very little space in your bag).

Those coming on Friday are welcome to arrive any time before about 10pm.

A taxi from the train station to my house costs around £8-£10 with Mercury (0114 2662662). This could be a cost effective option if meeting other people there and sharing.

Alternatively, it's a short walk (about 10 minutes) into town from the train station, from which there is a but that goes very close to my house. (Number 52 to Hillsborough, stopping at Crookes). I'll post more details closer to the time, and PM my address to anyone coming to stay.

Archonic Energy
2010-10-07, 03:36 AM
Those coming on Friday are welcome to arrive any time before about 10pm.

so... 04:30 it is then... :smallamused:
i'll bring my air-horn!

Edit: Thanks Zeb,

Capt Spanner
2010-10-08, 01:17 PM
Thinking about it, I might suggest that those coming to mine on Friday arrive between 7pm and 10pm, given that I may have a job at that point.

That's the plan, anyway.

Vampiric
2010-10-11, 08:26 AM
if the meetup starts at 8.50pm, I would assume it's going to be a late night thing then?

In which case, I might need some floor space. But I have no dietary requirements (y'know, beyond actually consuming food - I know someone would have made that point :smalltongue: )

Anyone else going by train (depending on arrival times) want to share a taxi?

Archonic Energy
2010-10-11, 09:00 AM
if the meetup starts at 8.50pm, I would assume it's going to be a late night thing then?

:smallconfused:
whatchoootalkin'bout?

Capt Spanner
2010-10-11, 09:48 AM

The meet-up is Saturday 4th from 10am. The times I gave refer to those staying overnight at my house the night before.

Eldpollard
2010-10-15, 11:42 AM
Hey, due to the length of time it takes to get from Aberystwyth from anywhere any chance I could crash at yours the Friday night as well Captain Spanner?