PDA

View Full Version : The World Ends With You - Fusion attacks? (Possible spoilers!)

Weimann
2010-08-16, 11:43 AM
I've played TWEWY during this summer with great pleasure, and I'm now plowing through the post-game content.

One thing I noted is that Joshua's level 3 Fusion attack seem to vastly outclass both Shiki's and Beat's. Upon checking the TWEWY wiki, it seems that this is indeed the case: Shiki's Fusion has an efficiency factor of 20, Beat's one of 30 and Joshua's... 99.99 (http://twewy.wikia.com/wiki/Fusion). Adding to this, he has what's probably the easiest mechanic for collecting Fusion Stars at Ultimate difficulty.

I can't help but wonder, is there something I'm missing about Shiki and Beat's level 3 Fusion attack that offsets Joshua's massive damage? As it is now, one of those has yet never failed to oneshot even undamaged Taboo Noise, and it would be nice to be able to shift around a bit just for fun without feeling like I'm missing out.

Zodiac
2010-08-16, 12:04 PM
Yeah, Joshua is the strongest partner in the game. Its not just his fusion that makes him good either. If you target a single enemy 5-6 times during a combo while in the air, he does an attack that does high damage to his entire screen. His sole weakness is his lower health, but when you get the hang of dodging it or pump up his stats this ends up not being an issue.

Its fine to use Shiki and Beat as its not that they are terrible, just not as hax as Joshua. They function perfectly well against difficult enemies even on Ultimate, its just that fights will take a little longer.

Weimann
2010-08-16, 01:35 PM
Bah. Bummer.

Not that it's a problem as such, I have nothing against using Joshua. He's a good character that I liked a lot during the storyline. The problem is that some battles have designated partners, such as all the boss battles, and that means that the later fights are not only harder due to higher damage and defense, but because Beat is arguably the worst partner (and also my least favourite, story-wise).

I had hoped for a perk once I got his 3rd level fusion, but...

Moonshadow
2010-08-18, 03:43 AM
Well, Beat /does/ have a set of threads that give you a lvl 2 Fusion to start the battle with.

And Shiki... Nah, I got nothing for her. But she has longer invincibility frames than the other 2 characters upon dodging, AFAIR.

Zodiac
2010-08-18, 05:24 PM
Well, Beat /does/ have a set of threads that give you a lvl 2 Fusion to start the battle with.

Well, he needs it, considering his fusion stars are annoying to get. But he does have the highest natural attack and hp iirc, and his air cancel is great against fast enemies.

And Shiki... Nah, I got nothing for her. But she has longer invincibility frames than the other 2 characters upon dodging, AFAIR.

Yeah, and she has an invincibility frame at the end of her ground combo (when she leaps into the air) which can be a life saver. She also has the highest natural brave too. And her stars are pretty easy to get too.

Cubey
2010-08-18, 06:17 PM
Beat is arguably the worst partner (and also my least favourite, story-wise).

http://l-userpic.livejournal.com/75233746/1157312
BWAAAAAAH!

And yeah, I got nothing. Joshua's fusion attacks are overpowered - just as intended, Jesus Beams are strong for plot reasons. Spoilers for anyone who didn't play and finish TWEWY, pretty obvious for those who did.

EDIT: Ah, I knew there was something I forgot! There's a trap to Joshua's overpowered level 3 fusion. It has negative polarity. Some enemies take no damage or even are healed by that, so...

MoelVermillion
2010-08-18, 11:21 PM
Bear in mind that I usually don't bother taking the fusion up to level 3 and just burn it at a level 2 but... the thing I liked about Beat's fusion star system was that you could set it up so that if you burned your level 2 fusion the second you got it sometimes the cards would still be going and adding cards and you could get a second level 2 fusion off that very same combo. Not sure if this applies to level 3 though as like I said I'm usually too impatient to wait for it.

Shiki's? Eh no idea really.

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-18, 11:30 PM
Beat is arguably the worst partner (and also my least favourite, story-wise).

:O And here I thought Joshua would get more flak. As much as I like him, he is the smuggest little bastard to walk the planet.

Weimann
2010-08-25, 05:59 AM
:O And here I thought Joshua would get more flak. As much as I like him, he is the smuggest little bastard to walk the planet.

That's why he's great! :D

Also, since I got the Approaching Eden pin set, and decked Beat out in threads to reduce his number of panels on his combo map, he did get quite a power boost, both in terms of regular damage and star generation. That light puck just flashes back and forth now! The problem is that I onlt have room for Appraoching Eden and one attack pin, so I'm still dependant on Fusions for healing, and his generation might be faster but it's still erratic and haphazard.

I'm trying to build all three of them towards different playstyles, for fun :P Beat is a fast puck passer, and I think I'll build Joshua for using Super Jesus Beams. I've no idea what to use on Shiki, though... maybe a Fusion spammer? Or someone relying on debuffs on her finishers? Bears thinking about.