PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Lyric Thamaturge secrets

Keld Denar
2010-08-16, 12:10 PM
Hello all! My Bard just jumped up 2 whole levels last game, and I find myself taking the 3rd level of Lyric Thamaturge. This ability gets me one extra 1st and 2nd level spell known off either the bard list or the wizard/sorc list. I'm looking for 2 spells to nab off the wizard list to further my role as buffer/controller.

VERY IMPORTANT!!! Book list is limited, specifically I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO SPELL COMPENDIUM unless its a reprint from an allowed book. Trust me, I'd kill for Benign Transposition and Cloud of Bewilderment, but they are outside of my grasp atm, sadly.
Book List:
Players Handbook
Players Handbook 2
Complete Adventurer
Complete Warrior
Complete Arcane
Complete Mage
Complete Divine
Complete Champion
Complete Scoundrel
Unearthed Arcana
Book of Vile Darkness
Book of Exalted Deeds

I don't remember exactly what spells I know at 1st and 2nd level, but the ones I remember are:
1st
Inspirational Boost
Improvisation (SpC version, not CAdv version, preapproved)
Grease

2nd
Glitterdust
Invisibility
Silence

I was thinking of picking up Ray of Enfeeblement with my 1st level, and Web with my 2nd. If you hadn't noticed, I'm trying to play my Bard as if he were a Batman Sorcerer with Inspire Courage, and doing fairly well with it. I absolutely stunned our party Wizard when I Glitterdusted two really strong fighter baddies (like, 4 levels above our party) which nearly trivialized a tough encounter. I'm heading into Virtuoso for levels 9 and 10, then duitifully into Sublime Chord for 2 levels like a good little optimizer, then back into Virtuoso for the remaining 8 levels.

Darrin
2010-08-16, 03:08 PM
Hello all! My Bard just jumped up 2 whole levels last game, and I find myself taking the 3rd level of Lyric Thamaturge. This ability gets me one extra 1st and 2nd level spell known off either the bard list or the wizard/sorc list. I'm looking for 2 spells to nab off the wizard list to further my role as buffer/controller.

1st: Uh... one of the lesser orbs? Tongue Tendrils (BoVD) might be... interesting.

2nd: Kelgore's Gravemist (PHBII). Cloud of Knives is also pretty nice, but not so "controllish".

Keld Denar
2010-08-16, 03:59 PM
Cloud of Knives....that would do dirty, nasty, disgusting things with my Dragonfire Inspiration, wouldn't it?

I'm intrigued...Cloud is in PHBII as well?

Adumbration
2010-08-16, 04:05 PM
Bear in mind the 5th level capstone Sonic Might when you pick up spells. One or two low level damage over time sonic spell could serve you very well later on.

Painful Echoes (CMage) is a fine example.

Keld Denar
2010-08-16, 04:10 PM
I won't be getting Sonic Might. I'm done taking LT levels, and will be taking Virtuoso levels and Sublime Chord levels from now on.

Adumbration
2010-08-16, 04:13 PM
I won't be getting Sonic Might. I'm done taking LT levels, and will be taking Virtuoso levels and Sublime Chord levels from now on.

Oh, okay. Nevermind then.

ErrantX
2010-08-16, 04:23 PM

Could always see if your DM will allow your Sublime Chord casting to be treated as bard casting for the purposes of advancement in Lyric Thaumaturge.

-X

Keld Denar
2010-08-16, 04:57 PM
Eh, I'm ok without it. Sonic Might is decent, but my dragonfire is [Fire] and I'm not planning on abusing Creeking Cacaphony, so...yea. He already complains that giving out +3d6 DFI at level 8 is "too strong". If I went straight bard with WoC, I could have a +6d6 DFI (I'm 8th level, thus +2, doubled to +4 +1 for SotH and +1 for Insp Boost), but I'm sure that would cause a heart attack...

Focusing on spellcasting is a lot more "low key" than cranking up Inspire Courage to 11. Plus, I'm pretty sold on going Virtuoso2/SublimeChord2/Virtuoso+8. Our wizard is going to Afganistan for a couple months soon, and I need to be able to fill his shoes.

So yea...Ray of Enfeeblement and Cloud of Knives then? Sounds like a pretty good spread. Maybe Enlarge Person and Web? Gah, I dunno.

Toliudar
2010-08-16, 05:06 PM
I'd also take a look at Nerveskitter for your 1st level spell, if it was initially published in an accessible source. It's great to be able to get the Inspire courage active right away before you settle into battlefield control.

Keld Denar
2010-08-16, 05:13 PM
A) Nerveskitter is a reprint, but its from the FRCS or PGtF, as <someguy>'s Skittering Nerves. Sadly, neither SpC nor any FR books are legal sources.

B) Nervskitter doesn't work with optimized IC. Nerveskitter takes up the swift action of your first round of combat. You need this swift action to cast Inspirational Boost to get the highest IC possible. You need the swift action of the turn after THAT to activate a Badge of Valor (which I do not have, but still). So yea, if you are truely serious about your Inspire Courage, Nerveskitter really isn't an option for you.

Toliudar
2010-08-16, 05:30 PM
Good points, both. I bow to your Opti-Fu.

Then I would be tempted to go with a lesser orb or hail of stones, for those few situations when you really, really need no-save damage.

Keld Denar
2010-08-16, 05:37 PM
Dragonfire covers nearly all of my damage vicariously through my party. The Dwarf Fighter just got his 2nd iterative attack, so he alone nets me ~6d6 damage per round added to his 1handed 1d10+2 waraxe. I've done more damage this whole campaign than all of the other party members combined purely based on DFI, I'm guessing. Besides, with the halfling bonuses I get, I'm rockin a +12ish attack roll on my sling for 1d3 + 3d6 fire! I wouldn't get Dragonfire on either Hail of Stones or Lesser Orb of X, so its really not a great investment.

Would I get Dragonfire on Cloud of Knives though? If so, that'll probably be my choice.

Keld Denar
2010-08-18, 02:05 PM
So...ah...anyone else? If noone says anything, I think I'll go with Ray of Enfeeblement and Cloud of Knives.

Darrin
2010-08-20, 08:35 PM
So...ah...anyone else? If noone says anything, I think I'll go with Ray of Enfeeblement and Cloud of Knives.

Ask your DM if he'll allow Miniatures Handbook... for, I dunno, Marshal Auras, or something like that. Then you may conveniently notice that oh, benign transposition was first printed in that book.

arguskos
2010-08-20, 09:19 PM
A) Nerveskitter is a reprint, but its from the FRCS or PGtF, as <someguy>'s Skittering Nerves. Sadly, neither SpC nor any FR books are legal sources.
/engagesuselessknowledgeengine

The "someguy" is Kaupaer. Know your Faerunian spell histories! :smallyuk::smallwink:

Darrin
2010-08-21, 07:39 AM
The "someguy" is Kaupaer. Know your Faerunian spell histories! :smallyuk::smallwink:

Keld, is content from the WotC website allowed? Kaupaer's Quick Blast is available in his Quick Book (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050112a), although I guess it's still FR material.

true_shinken
2010-08-21, 07:46 AM

Cloud of Knives is amazing, but you really should get summons on your list or a wand of summon monster. More allies = more dragonfire = love for everyone!