PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Divine Spell Failure?

Arillius
2010-08-16, 12:23 PM
I'm in a campaign where an incident led to the lose of a finger for my cleric. My DM rules now that I have a spell failure chance on all my spells, and he's the kind who will keep it to himself and roll the percentage dice behind the board. The session ended without me getting anymore spells off, so I can't even guess if its a high probability.

My question is, can limb loss affect a cleric like this? If so, how is that there somatic components aren't screwed up in a similar manner while wearing armor? Is there anything that covers this kind of thing in the core rules?

Kamai
2010-08-16, 12:36 PM
As per the Pathfinder rules, there is no way of having a spell failure chance for divine spells. In fact, the only way that a cleric couldn't use a spell with a Somatic component is by not having a hand free (and probably by extension, a functioning hand). So, you should not be taking the spell failure even by common sense if you can free up the uninjured hand. You could always just switch hands, and use a shield as a main weapon (if that's in character at all). It will probably mean a -2 on attacks, but a shield will give some benefit while you can't use it as effectively to attack. You could get something reasonably sticky to help hold on to it if he also rules having 1 finger less makes it harder to hold the shield.

Mongoose87
2010-08-16, 12:47 PM
Won't a Cure spell deal with that?

Glimbur
2010-08-16, 12:50 PM
Can you find someone to hit you with a Regenerate (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells---final/regenerate)? A thirteenth level cleric is probably rare, but depending on the setting it might be feasible.

Alternately, if wizards are more common, you could Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells---final/polymorph-any-object) yourself into yourself but not missing a finger. This is permanent, not instantaneous, so it winks out in an AMF and can be dispelled.

Redrat2k6
2010-08-16, 12:53 PM
Kamai is correct in that you only need one hand to cast spells.

If you have good Diplomacy in RL I suggest talking to this DM privatly as well and let him know that you do not think it makes the game fun when he houserules your character to make him weaker.

Arillius
2010-08-16, 12:55 PM
Well the problems with those two are that the parties wizard is the one that dropped me into the water after the sorcerer/fighter cut off my finger to steal my magic ring. Evil groups are a lot less restrained.

The second problem is that Clerics in his game are rare, probably to the extreme. My guy is pretty much akin to a prophet in importance, one of the few if maybe only people who can here the voice's of gods.

Arillius
2010-08-16, 12:57 PM
Using the other hand idea sounds good. As to the not fun part, this is anything but not fun. Its very suspenseful playing his games, which just adds to it. The only issue I had with this was because there wasn't any precedent.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-16, 12:58 PM
The reason divine somatic components aren't subject to armor failure is handwaved. You only need one free hand to cast so you have to drop your weapon o.O Otherwise there's no actual % chance given to fail divine spells.

Jaeger
2010-08-16, 01:58 PM
I must admit I am curious. Now seeing as you are in an evil group i'm going to assume you're an evil cleric. And you're as you said practically a Prophet of your god. And finally they have inflicted crippling wounds on you simply for greed.

What manner of Divine Vengeance will be visited upon their heathen heads?:smallwink:

Tyndmyr
2010-08-16, 02:29 PM
Hold your weapon in the hand that's minus a finger. A single missing finger is of minimal importance in holding a sword correctly(though losing the thumb is annoying). Use the undamaged hand to cast. Yay, problem avoided(and yes, it's entirely made up).

Once you get a form of regeneration available, problem solved for good.

Rixx
2010-08-16, 03:24 PM
In 2E, as a Paladin, you could petition your god to allow you to Lay On Hands with one hand if you lost an arm in battle. I'd imagine something similar could apply here.

Starbuck_II
2010-08-16, 03:40 PM
You can put your holy symbol in your armor/shield according Dungeonscape (fairly cheap).That way you don't have to fumble to present it.