PDA

View Full Version : To what versions is this book compatible? [1/2e D&D]

Ichneumon
2010-08-16, 01:48 PM
So, I'm able to get my hands on a copy of the Complete Handbook of Dwarves (http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/tot_second_edition_home/rules/tsr2124_completedwarveshandbook.htm), and I'd like to know if it's content will be compatible with the follow versions/remakes of D&D and if not completely how difficult it would be to use the content modified or otherwise:

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons secons edition revised
OSRIC
Swords and Wizardry

As I own the core rulesbooks of the first and hsve free pdfs of the second and third.

Thanks!

Lapak
2010-08-16, 01:52 PM
So, I'm able to get my hands on a copy of the Complete Handbook of Dwarves (http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/tot_second_edition_home/rules/tsr2124_completedwarveshandbook.htm), and I'd like to know if it's content will be compatible with the follow versions/remakes of D&D and if not completely how difficult it would be to use the content modified or otherwise:

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons secons edition revised
OSRIC
Swords and Wizardry

As I own the core rulesbooks of the first and hsve free pdfs of the second and third.

Thanks!It was designed for 2nd edition, which you have.
2nd and 1st edition (which OSRIC models) are very, very similar. It was more of a cleaning-up-and-codifying than it was a rules rewrite. Should work fine for that.

Swords and Wizardry, if I'm reading it right, models OD&D rather than Advanced. It's the same basic system, but among the things that are most different is the handling of demihumans. It'll require more tinkering to use your book with S&W.

rojomoke
2010-08-16, 01:54 PM
As the graphic on the page you link to states, that book is written for the 2nd edition of AD&D. It will be compatible with OSRIC (which is 1st ed AD&D, maybe with a few tweaks needed), but not easily usable with S&W.

Ichneumon
2010-08-16, 02:03 PM
So, there is really no difference between the revised and the non-revised edition of Advanced D&D second edition?

Thanks, I knew it said second edition, but didn't know for sure about the revised part. In that case, I'll get it.

JadedDM
2010-08-16, 02:14 PM
The revised version of 2E AD&D just was a reprint with some typos fixed. Rules-wise, there is absolutely no difference between the original and revised.

hamlet
2010-08-16, 02:24 PM
The revised version of 2E AD&D just was a reprint with some typos fixed. Rules-wise, there is absolutely no difference between the original and revised.

Until you get into the Players' Options books. I recommend leaving those alone entirely.

JadedDM
2010-08-16, 02:26 PM
Right. Those are quite different, and some players even refer to the Player's Option books as '2.5E.'